Pursers. One or two? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pursers. One or two?

User Tag List

Old 8th September 2018, 22:16

My location
Masirah (1957) had 2, W Murphy (Purser,C/S, Fred Ambrose Asst. Purser, C/S,
Matra (1958) 2
Mandasor 1958, had 1
Markhor 1959, Fred Ambrose

Fred Ambrose was a splendid character, What happened to him anyone? When I returned to Masirah late 59 W Murphy was still there

Michael
Old 8th September 2018, 22:57

On my 2 deep sea trips on the Matra 68/69, we had 2 Pursers, Pete Smith as head and Peter Deary as second. On the Manipur in 71 we also had 2. I can't remember the head's name, but Peter Deary was the second.
Cheers,
Nick Jones.
Old 30th September 2018, 22:17

Two on the Manipur, must have been a lot of work.
Old 30th September 2018, 22:21

Jim Sunners was ch. steward on the SS Maihar when I was on her May 1957-June 1958. Good lad.
Old 1st October 2018, 07:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1969 - 1971

assistant purser/chief steward

Hi Harry,

You posted that you sailed with Allan Woods 1970 I was with him on Mangla 1969/1970 then Mahsud 1970/71. Hope that he is still on planet earth.
Ray Money
Old 1st October 2018, 11:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post
Hi Harry,

You posted that you sailed with Allan Woods 1970 I was with him on Mangla 1969/1970 then Mahsud 1970/71. Hope that he is still on planet earth.
Ray Money
Hello, Ray. I cannot find where I posted that. I came ashore in 1961. Just right now I cannot recall Alan Woods . . . though the name rings a bell; but I do take a while to become alert these days. I'm sharper after lunch.
Perhaps I'm doing too much: setting up a website for a club, doing genealogy, writing books . . . then there's the garden and my forlorn hope to grow a decent leek. When we were at sea, life was so much simpler.
Old 2nd October 2018, 00:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1969 - 1971

assistant purser/chief steward

Hi Harry,

Sorry about the Allan Woods posting yesterday. My mistake
I misread your reply 2/9/18 to Don A. Macleod posting 1/9/18.
Cheers

Ray Money
Old 6th November 2018, 09:30

Brocklebanks Pursers

My father, Fred Lewis, a native of Glasgow, was a Purser for many years with Brocklebanks prior to World War 2 until his last voyage in 1956 on S.S. Magdapur. He then worked until 1963 on ships such as Border Sentinel, Border Laird.

From my childhood recollection of visiting ships where my father was working I'm sure that he was the only purser. I remember being very impressed with the starched linen tablecloths and napkins and the typed menus. Perhaps up until 1956 passnegers were predominantly wives of the officers and in later days more passengers were carried so needing 2 pursers? I remember visiting the engine room, hot, steamy and smellng of oil.

I was only 12 when because of his age he had to retire from Brocklebanks and work for a LIne with a higher retirement age. I wish now I had taken more interest in what his job entailed.

I've just returned from visiting my daughter in Perth so also explored Fremantle. Did any Brocks ship go there and if, so, where did they dock? I thought my father did sail to Fremantle. I have memories of Australian stamps in my stamp collection, but his Discharge Book only shows where he signed on and off not ports visited. Walking round Fremantle a couple of weeks ago I tried to imagine what it would have been like when/if my father sailed there. It's a beautiful place with incredible architecture on the old buildings. HArd to imagine where the ships docked- the harbour was now full with small boats.

The last Brocks ship he was on was S.S. Magdapur in April 1956. Prior to that they included S.S. Markhor, S.S. Maadan, S.S. Martland, S.S. Mandasor, S.S. Mahronda, S.S. Mahseer, S.S. Manipur- the latter in 1952.

In 1940 he had been on an earlier S.S. Manipur in July 1940 when it was sunk by a torpedo off Cape Wrath.

Some 6 months prior to that- 24th November 1939, he had been aboard S.S. Mangalore when it was sunk by a German mine laid of Hawke Roads, Spurn Head River Humber whilst on passage from Calcutta to Tees .

On one of those occasions he rescued the ship's cat- but he never told me which one it was.

I have spent the last 12 years researching members of my family tree with great success but that has not helped me with info on the day to day life of my Dad at sea- just memories that he could not go on ,eave as soon as they docked as there were things he had to sort out aboard the ship, letters and postcards from foreign places and mementos fromplaces visited- shells fom the Seychelles, comics and chewing gum from America. He loved his job, he'd be away for 3 months then home for 1 month- but by about 3 weeks he was getting itchy feet to be back at sea again. He was a very sociable person and how wonderful that he had a job that he enjoyed so much.

I've a vague memory that he perhaps sailed with a Captain Roberts who may have lived at Hightown in Lancashire.

In the unlikely chance that any one has memories of my dad at sea I would love to hear them.
Old 17th November 2018, 23:32

In NZS and Federal cargo ships ,we carried a Chief Steward who wore Pursers insignia but they were not encouraged to eat in the saloon with the rest of us as many of the captains regarded them as bumped up stewards..