Looking for anyone who knew Ivor Boyd - Ships Nostalgia
01:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Looking for anyone who knew Ivor Boyd

User Tag List

Old 2nd August 2019, 19:26

Looking for anyone who knew Ivor Boyd

Posting on behalf of my father: Recently my father (Mark) and I have been looking at family history and were wondering if anyone on here knew his father?

His name was Ivor Malcolm Boyd and he worked as a chief refrigeration officer for Portline in the 1960s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
Old 2nd August 2019, 19:29

Ivor was Northern Irish and loved the accordion
Old 3rd August 2019, 22:50

My location
Hi Mark I sailed on a few of the Port Line ships. . I was ab in the Port Vindex on a trip to South Africa , Australia , and New Zealand from October 1958 April 1959. . The chief fridge electric engineer was from Belfast. . It most likely would have been your grandfather , but I don't think that I knew his name. The Port Vindex had been the HMS Vindex during the war and came back to Port Line in 1946 along with her sister ship Port Victor . I don't know whether this will be any help to you..., but she was a happy ship . I am also from Belfast. Regards. ,
Alex C . R666116 .
Old 4th August 2019, 13:19

Hello Alex and thank your for your reply. I am absolutely delighted that you have got in touch. 1958 - 59 - South Africa, Australia and New Zealand would fit perfectly. My father would have been about 26 during this period. (Chief Refrigeration). Maybe a photograph of him from this period would help to clarify? My other question is: would there be anyway of getting a list of the ships my father was on from 1958 to 1967, ports of destination etc? Again Alex I am delighted you made contact. Kindest regards,
Mark (Ivor Boyd`s eldest son).
Old 4th August 2019, 16:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBoyd View Post
Hello Alex and thank your for your reply. I am absolutely delighted that you have got in touch. 1958 - 59 - South Africa, Australia and New Zealand would fit perfectly. My father would have been about 26 during this period. (Chief Refrigeration). Maybe a photograph of him from this period would help to clarify? My other question is: would there be anyway of getting a list of the ships my father was on from 1958 to 1967, ports of destination etc? Again Alex I am delighted you made contact. Kindest regards,
Mark (Ivor Boyd`s eldest son).
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...-1913-1972.pdf If you have Ivors discharge book no, this link should be helpful Regards (C)
Old 5th August 2019, 08:50

Thank you "Canadian". Once again your information is appreciated. Thank you. Mark