Using the search function - Ships Nostalgia
07:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Using the search function

User Tag List

Old 1st July 2019, 16:59
Department: Engineering

Using the search function

Apologies if this isn't the right section but ...

Is there a method of searching for TWO keywords where BOTH are needed.

Specifically "Dominion" AND "Monarch" - the QVMS ship.

The search box here accepts two words but gives answers of either word as well as both.

Thanks.
Old 1st July 2019, 17:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1955 - 1960

Have you tried "Dominion Monarch" including the quotes?
Old 1st July 2019, 17:41

Google:

dominion monarch passenger ship
dominion monarch troopship
dominion monarch passenger list

etc etc.
Old 1st July 2019, 17:55

Brilliant, thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 19:05

Glenniffer engines.

Back in the early 60s we had two local ferries in Bermuda, Triton and Corona. Twin screws. On the way to school and back home I would spend most of the time watching and listening then thundering beasts. The lasted until well in the 1980s.

Stephen
Old 1st July 2019, 19:30

Here's ours, a DB2, the smallest they made, in our little ship :-

https://youtu.be/YoQ9n9ImUso

The tug was bought as a wreck, fitted with the engine after repair (frost damaged water jacket), and back in the water in 2017.

The enquiry about the Dominion Monarch is because we suspect our engine came from one of the DMs lifeboats.

Last edited by gleniffer; 2nd July 2019 at 05:22..
Old 5th July 2019, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleniffer View Post
Here's ours, a DB2, the smallest they made, in our little ship :-

https://youtu.be/YoQ9n9ImUso

The tug was bought as a wreck, fitted with the engine after repair (frost damaged water jacket), and back in the water in 2017.

The enquiry about the Dominion Monarch is because we suspect our engine came from one of the DMs lifeboats.

Dominion Monarch was prewar built vessel. Can you date the engine that you have? DM was taken out of service in 1962. She was used as a floating hotel in Seattle then went to Osaka for scrapping. Question is, how did the engine get 'left behind' in UK when the vessel went to the far east?

That engine looks a touch too big for a lifeboat. Might well have been but it just seems bigger that what have seen. I think the DM had two motor launches. Possibly it came from there. Again, how did that engine get left in the UK?

Another question. Is there any possibility that it came from another Shaw Savill ship. I do know that the NORTHERN STAR was sold and sent for scrapping in 1972. Just a few months she went for scrapping they needed a replacement 'motor launch'. The two launches, brand new launch was put on the ship. Two months later the ship was sold for scrappers and before she went to the far east, the launch was taken off the ship and someone in the company took possession of the launch. Now, this is just a story that I was sold in 1977. Some of the cadets who were on the STAR for that last voyage were with me the ICENIC. Might be true. So, is there any possibility this engine is in you tug? My other comment, the engine seems a bit too large from a lifeboat.

Stephen
Old 5th July 2019, 00:54

Gleniffer….

OK... ignore my earlier post. I should have checked elsewhere.

I have a copy of THE MOTOR SHIP, MARCH 1939. Special issue of qsmv DOMINION MONARCH. Page: 470

Quote:

"The vessel has two 30ft motor lifeboats. 24hp Gleniffer Diesel engine carrying 40 persons....."

Looks like it is yours and possibly the engine in the launch is for towing lifeboats because of all other boats on board as rowing boats.

How did the engine end up... I have no idea, but looks like it yours.

Stephen
Old 5th July 2019, 01:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1962

Hi Stephen, we were berthed in Wellington when the DM sailed out for the last time ( probably around 1960 ) her 'Paying Off Pennant ' was about a third of the length of the ship. I believe the length of the Pennant has something to do with the length of her service ??

Cheers
Ewen
Old 5th July 2019, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaters View Post
Hi Stephen, we were berthed in Wellington when the DM sailed out for the last time ( probably around 1960 ) her 'Paying Off Pennant ' was about a third of the length of the ship. I believe the length of the Pennant has something to do with the length of her service ??

Cheers
Ewen
10 ft per year of service. 23 years so 230 ft. LOA 680ft so 'about a third' is more accurate that just 'about'!!!!

Stephen