Headline Shipping Co of Belfast - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
00:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Headline Shipping Co of Belfast

User Tag List

Old 2nd December 2008, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtingfreak View Post
Hi brian just reminiscing with my Dad John McGurk who was cook on the inishowen. He remembers lots of the names and I myself remember Ned Thompson as cook. Ill get some more names off him next time he's round
Andy
Hi Andy, I sailed with your dad I┤m sure, can┤t remember which "head" ┤tho. Ask him if remembers the mouse. Brian K
Old 4th December 2008, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgurggle View Post
Hi'ya Andy
My name's Brian Galloway & I was yer Da's 2nd Cook & Bricklayer on the Torr Head from 10 Feb '70 to 2nd Oct '70. The ship I use for my avitar is from a painting of the Torr Head by Frank McKelvey. Thats because it was the best ship I ever sailed on. I don't know if John will remember me so if you click on my profile you will see a pic of me as I am recently, a good bit heavier but still as ugly...! I remember the skipper was Eddie 'the duke' Davy. there was on deck, wee John Scully (Sligo) , Brendan Docherty (Moville), Hughie Boyd (Brother of Jimmy Boyd also cook with Head Line). Cyril Thompson ? was Chief Steward & I think the 2nd Steward was Francie Blakley.
We got quite a bit of 'cargo brand whiskey' (J&B) from Glasgow & good times were had by all
I hope yer Da' remembers me. I was actually him who informed Mr. Landells (Catering Super) that I held a Chief Cooks ticket & bummed me up to be a 'not too bad cook', so I was transfered to the Santona as Chief Cook . I was sorry to leave the Torr cos' these were some of the best days of my life... (before I got married)!!!
If John remembers me, tell him to get in touch as I would love to have a yarn with him.
McG (Brian)
Hello Mc Gurgle,
The Torr Head in your picture had a relatively short life as a "Head Boat", 1961.....1972. Her design didn┤t allow for easy conversion to containers. Some said that she was almost out of date as soon as she was launched. such was the speed of the marine container revolution.. Your picture is one of a series which were sold as cards by both the missions to seamen (N.I.) and as a greetings card by the R.N.L.I... All were painted by Phillip Williamson, an ex seafarer. I knew him as a member of Carrickfergus Sailing Club in the mid 70┤s. There used to be some of his painting in the clubhouse┤.
I also recall that there was a little art gallery along the Carrick seafront, near the Coast Road Hotel, which had some of his pictures for sale.
Frank Mc Kelvey, to the best of my knowledge was best known as a landscape artist. He died in 1974.
BK
Old 4th December 2008, 10:10

Inishowen Head here.
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...77/ppuser/7321
Old 4th December 2008, 13:38

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Mercer View Post
More likely this one Reg (ex Cast Beaver)
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3...wenheadqz3.jpg
McG
Old 4th December 2008, 13:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kernaghan View Post
Hello Mc Gurgle,
The Torr Head in your picture had a relatively short life as a "Head Boat", 1961.....1972. Her design didn┤t allow for easy conversion to containers. Some said that she was almost out of date as soon as she was launched. such was the speed of the marine container revolution.. Your picture is one of a series which were sold as cards by both the missions to seamen (N.I.) and as a greetings card by the R.N.L.I... All were painted by Phillip Williamson, an ex seafarer. I knew him as a member of Carrickfergus Sailing Club in the mid 70┤s. There used to be some of his painting in the clubhouse┤.
I also recall that there was a little art gallery along the Carrick seafront, near the Coast Road Hotel, which had some of his pictures for sale.
Frank Mc Kelvey, to the best of my knowledge was best known as a landscape artist. He died in 1974.
BK
Hi Brian
You're probably right about the artist. I only presumed it was McKelvey.
As for Landscape artist ?
Take a wee 'Jeff Duke' here !!
http://www.kellyshipping.com/titles.htm
Old 4th December 2008, 15:29

Quote:
Hi Brian
You're probably right about the artist. I only presumed it was McKelvey.
As for Landscape artist ?
Take a wee 'Jeff Duke' here !!
http://www.kellyshipping.com/titles.htm
Thanks McG.. I see what you mean !! Kellys had some great calendars with their ships`pictures , I know that Mc Kelvey painted dockland scenes, but never realised he did ships!! You can google Phillip J Williamson , his pictures are a fraction of the price of a McKelvey, but look good to me..
Old 4th December 2008, 17:18

My location
Hello Brian sorry for butting in but I can remember you name from the Head Line. Not sure if I sailed with you but must have meet you at some stage. I think you were 3rd. mate or prehaps 2nd. on one of the 'R' boats when I joined the Carrigan in 1964/65
Old 4th December 2008, 17:28

My location
Re paintings of Head boats, I have a painting of the Inishowen Head. It was painted by Cecil Wynd. Anyone know of him or have any info??

Last edited by Fastfisher16; 4th December 2008 at 18:21..
Old 4th December 2008, 18:38

Quote:
More likely this one Reg (ex Cast Beaver)
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3...wenheadqz3.jpg
McG
? Not sure what you mean. Probably a senior moment
Old 4th December 2008, 19:11

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Mercer View Post
? Not sure what you mean. Probably a senior moment
What I mean is they are 'Inishowen Head's' from different era's. I think John McGurk was probably Chief Cook on the one I posted.
I was also Chief Cook on it from April 71 to June 71.
Or maybe John was on both of them in his time !?
Anyway, maybe John will put us right.
McG
Old 4th December 2008, 19:47

Quote:
What I mean is they are 'Inishowen Head's' from different era's. I think John McGurk was probably Chief Cook on the one I posted.
I was also Chief Cook on it from April 71 to June 71.
Or maybe John was on both of them in his time !?
Anyway, maybe John will put us right.
McG
OK, with you now. I was going back to start of thread where someone was looking for general Head Line info. As I said, Senior Moment. Bus pass next year......
Old 5th December 2008, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfisher16 View Post
Hello Brian sorry for butting in but I can remember you name from the Head Line. Not sure if I sailed with you but must have meet you at some stage. I think you were 3rd. mate or prehaps 2nd. on one of the 'R' boats when I joined the Carrigan in 1964/65
I did my first trip as 3rd mate on the Ballygally probably around May 1964, I was at different times on all the "R" boats. On the BallyG Eric Seaton was master, the mate was Stewarty Thompson, 2nd mate Brian Mc Shane, Ch Engr "KayeDon" Swift. I recall the name Roy Fitzpatrick you mentioned earlier, he was a good friend of Harry Alldritt...........BK
Old 14th December 2008, 17:19

Exclamation Inishowen Head

I sailed on the Inishowen Head in 1967,her first run up the lakes that year,and the next voyage.I was a jos back then.I remember that the cargo included (irish mist),and we aquired some samples,
Old 4th January 2009, 20:34

I was on the Inishowen Head from Sept. 68 to Sept 69 as deck apprentice but I cannot remember any names. I do remember that my first trip was with Capt. Fee who sadly died a short time after this voyage. As to who replaced him I have no recollection. I do remember that the 3rd Engineer was Harry Burns. Anyone remember any other names from the Inishowen at this time?

Last edited by 1690doc; 5th January 2009 at 19:39..
Old 6th February 2009, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1690doc View Post
I was on the Inishowen Head from Sept. 68 to Sept 69 as deck apprentice but I cannot remember any names. I do remember that my first trip was with Capt. Fee who sadly died a short time after this voyage. As to who replaced him I have no recollection. I do remember that the 3rd Engineer was Harry Burns. Anyone remember any other names from the Inishowen at this time?
Capt Andy Fee was related to me through marriage. I sailed with him on th "R" boats when I was apprentice & 3rd mate. He died , digging his garden whilst on leave. ┤69 or ┤70
Here┤s another bunch of names from the 60┤s
Tich Gunning, apprentice, Patsy Monaghan , Ernie Coyle, bosuns on the Fair & Torr heads , Nobby Clarke ( Larne ) Rene Alaru ( Estonia) both bosuns. George Breen, Roy Pledge, Bob Harris, Willie Morrison , Tom Sellars, all mates & masters. On Deck.....Charlie John & Rab AXON, Jimmy, Johnny & Harry Neill. Francie Leckie, Neilly Coyle, Geordie Pierce , lamptrimmer ,, Ramore. Champ Mc Williams, Jackie Kendall, Jimmy mc Donald, Harry Rooney, chippy, Ardglass. Petey Ward, AB
R/O┤s Henk Sterling, Rodney Shephard, Brendan O┤Callaghan, ???Davidson
Catering ...."Sitting Bull" ch stwd. Sammy Higginson 2nd stwd Brian Mc Conville all Torr Head, 1960 Robert Vance, Mickey Woods, Fair Head, Maurice O┤Toole, from Larne.
Anybody any recollections out these ?????
Old 6th February 2009, 17:01

I did a few trips on the Dundrum Bay (51/52), lanaghans of belfast, mad crew from the skipper down, but loads of fun.
Old 9th February 2009, 08:23

just joined this site and enjoying the Head Line memories .---------I was on the Empire Glade 1944 managed by Heyns ........joined the EMPIRE GARRISON just after the war----previous name CALLIOPE........... then later named the BENGORE HEAD .......then a few trips on the LORD GLENTORAN.

The ould memory box gets a little confused re names but came to life when reading some of your posts by Brian !

cheers Bob Gibson
PS I was in the Catering Dept
Old 12th February 2009, 04:51

and whilst I'm still o this Head Lnen lark lol my brother Jamesie Gibson was a donkey mand on several Head Line -----------also my brother in law Bille Mc Quillan was donkey man as well
Old 7th March 2009, 21:28

My location
I have just posted 6 photos of Rathlin Head shipmates to the "Members' Faces" Gallery. I will be posting more Rathlin & general Head Line over the next few days (restricted to 6 per day).
Hope you enjoy and they bring back some memories.
Cheers, Wil.
Old 25th July 2009, 06:19

Quote:
Hello Wil,
Thanks for your response,
Joe (bull ) Kennedy retired around the time I joined my first ship at the end of 1959. Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe. I sailed with Bob when he was mate on the Carrigan in 1961
Eric Dunwoody sat his 2nd mates around 1960 so I don┤t think he could have been on the Rathlin at the time you were there.
John Hamilton was ch steward when I was appce on the Rathlin and still there when I was 3rd mate in 1964.
Geordie Clint was working ashore in the office when last I heard of him. Andy Frizzell was running a pub in Donaghadee, his sister married Mervyn McConnell, mentioned previously, now retired , living in Ballygally. Doc Savage died some years ago. He is mentioned in the W.J.Harvey book " The Head Line" Henry Carson retired early 60┤s , I think that he was still chief on the Carrigan when I was there ?? maybe that was his last trip.
Other chief engineers I sailed with ... J.C. Thompson, Mike Patton, Davie Hillock ( the silver fox ) , George Deaney, Davie Mc.Keown, Chunky Garrett,
Harry Stevenson, Johnny "tut-tut" Harrison, married Nellie Jackson, owner of the Millbay Inn in Islandmagee. There was another chief from Cloughey, Joe? Savage.
Perhaps these names will stir a response from some otherĘ┤÷ul hands. Now I┤ve started the names and places keep flooding back.
I┤ll do the deck crowd and catering dept next.
best regards, Brian K.
Brian,thanks for bring back all those names. I sailed with Johnny Harrison when he was 2nd eng, Tommy Purdy was chief and Davy Hillock was my old man. I also sailed with Bambi Thompson and Campbell Kerr. Have some pics I will post when I can dig them out. I was also on the Fair Head at 12 years old when my old man brought her back from Arnhem

Last edited by weewillie; 25th July 2009 at 06:22..
Old 8th November 2013, 16:01
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Hotels / Catering

Hi, I Emergrated to Canada aboard the Rathlin Head in april 1964 a very pleasant trip with many memorys. I was put onto the Company by my uncle Dave he worked as an engineer on board the Head line fleet before he went to Canada in the 1950s is name is David Haggerty.
Old 17th November 2013, 10:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1986

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
Would the superintendent have been Mr Walshe? Regards Colin
Hi Fergus, nice to read your entry, brought back many memories, I knew all you mentioned, was with Head Line for 14 years, from 6th Eng to Ch Eng. This is a great site, hope others get in touch. Most are now deceased, but still a few of us around. Capt Maxwell, Andy Niblock George Deaney (now 90+). Wonderful years, except for the crossing of the Atlantic. Ha Ha. Regards Harry
Old 17th November 2013, 11:11

Harry Kicubbin

Quote:
Hello Wil,
Thanks for your response,
Joe (bull ) Kennedy retired around the time I joined my first ship at the end of 1959. Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe. I sailed with Bob when he was mate on the Carrigan in 1961
Eric Dunwoody sat his 2nd mates around 1960 so I don┤t think he could have been on the Rathlin at the time you were there.
John Hamilton was ch steward when I was appce on the Rathlin and still there when I was 3rd mate in 1964.
Geordie Clint was working ashore in the office when last I heard of him. Andy Frizzell was running a pub in Donaghadee, his sister married Mervyn McConnell, mentioned previously, now retired , living in Ballygally. Doc Savage died some years ago. He is mentioned in the W.J.Harvey book " The Head Line" Henry Carson retired early 60┤s , I think that he was still chief on the Carrigan when I was there ?? maybe that was his last trip.
Other chief engineers I sailed with ... J.C. Thompson, Mike Patton, Davie Hillock ( the silver fox ) , George Deaney, Davie Mc.Keown, Chunky Garrett,
Harry Stevenson, Johnny "tut-tut" Harrison, married Nellie Jackson, owner of the Millbay Inn in Islandmagee. There was another chief from Cloughey, Joe? Savage.
Perhaps these names will stir a response from some otherĘ┤÷ul hands. Now I┤ve started the names and places keep flooding back.
I┤ll do the deck crowd and catering dept next.
best regards, Brian K.
Hi Brian. I was 14 years with Headline from 58 to 73, Knew all you mentioned, most have sadly passed on, but still a few of us left. Wonderful memories and great bunch of guys, right from Master to galley boy. Would love to hear from other shipmates drawing the pension ? Ha Ha Regards Harry
Old 25th November 2013, 15:39

I've never served on ships but I have been looking for information on my ancestors, and it has been quite interesting reading this thread, even though it is after my relatives time.

My Great Grandfather Edward Simmonson was a Chief Mate and he sailed on the Carrigan Head (first one) in 1921, as did his brother Harry, who was an Able Seaman.

Another of his brothers, Ignatius, drowned while serving on the Torr Head (first one) in November 1916, just a few months before it was torpedoed.
Old 1st December 2013, 12:28

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kicubbin View Post
Hi Brian. I was 14 years with Headline from 58 to 73, Knew all you mentioned, most have sadly passed on, but still a few of us left. Wonderful memories and great bunch of guys, right from Master to galley boy. Would love to hear from other shipmates drawing the pension ? Ha Ha Regards Harry
Hi Brian, it was Jimmy Savage not Joe, with exception of Mike Patton, who now lives in Thunder Bay Canada, the others are deceased. Harry