picture sought of Glenearne radar /radio room - Ships Nostalgia
11:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

picture sought of Glenearne radar /radio room

User Tag List

Old 18th April 2010, 16:21

picture sought of Glenearne radar /radio room

has anyone got a picture of the interior of the radar/radio room of a Glen ? I'd particurly like to see one of the Glenearne (my Father John served on her 1942-1945 )
He often talks of it but his memory now is so poor that he cannot remember exactly how it looked.

He thinks that it was below decks ? although the radar shack on his first ship HMS Despatch was certainly above under the aerials.

I'd appreciate any information even a verbal description would be helpful. thank you
Nick Earley (Son)
Old 19th April 2010, 11:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Earley View Post
has anyone got a picture of the interior of the radar/radio room of a Glen ? I'd particurly like to see one of the Glenearne (my Father John served on her 1942-1945 )
He often talks of it but his memory now is so poor that he cannot remember exactly how it looked.

He thinks that it was below decks ? although the radar shack on his first ship HMS Despatch was certainly above under the aerials.

I'd appreciate any information even a verbal description would be helpful. thank you
Nick Earley (Son)
Nick hope you are successful in your quest for photos of the radio shack on Glenearn tho fear it may be difficult for the period your father served on her. I joined her in South Shields in 1947 where she was extensvely refitted after being handed back to owners. I was 1st R/O for that first voyage a roundtrip Australia . The radio cabin then was situated midships after end boat deck. Regret have no photos of the cabin -Regards Teb (For what it is worth consider that was one of best voyages I had at sea!)
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:15

Hi Teb thank you very much for your reply. I guess I was being rather optimistic about a picture but you never know.

My Father's memory is failing him fast which is such a shame. He had such a fantastic memory once and was an excellent story teller.

He contributed quite a bit to the book 'In time of War by Aitkin ( about HMS Glenearn ) although I do not think he got the credit he deserved. he lent his copy of the book to his old Shipmate len Nichols who I think now also has Alzimers. Such a wicked disease.

I managed to buy him another copy from the US of all places.

Dad left the ship in 1945 just before it sailed to Hiroshima .

What equipment was fitted after the refit ? Dad described the shack as being very small, full of equipment with just enough room for two operaters ,one on one off .

ps sorry for delay in responding. Email notification doesn't seem to be working.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:33

I have a pic of Glengarry GNCS. contact me by email and I will forward.
Old 13th July 2010, 14:26
Super Moderator
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
The Denbighshire radio room was at the stern end of the boat deck on the port side with the 1st RO cabin next door on the starboard side. The equipment was Redifon with two R50's rcvrs and the old tx on a good day probably managed 80w. Mind you with the fabulous T aerial I still managed to work UK direct from the Far East. The most modern item was the auto alarm. I have attached a photo of a radio room from one of the Glens which one I cannot remember. I do apologise to the site from which I took it a longtime ago. I was so delighted at the time to find the photo I forgot to note the origin. When I was on her she had been renamed Sarpedon and had a Blue funnel.

Hawkey01
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radioroom.jpg (152.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 15th July 2010, 15:39
Super Moderator
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Malcolm,

no, the Denbighshire was the one I was on when she was renamed Sarpedon at the end of the 60's. She went to scrap the trip after I left her in 1969.

Neville - Hawkey01
Old 16th July 2010, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Nick, Ships in Focus excellent book "Glen & Shire Line" has some rare and unusual photos of Glenearn in colour.
One shot taken from the main mast of the boat deck looking forward shows the radio room and 1st R/O's accommodation directly in the foreground and clearly visible are the two long teak-wood aerial down-lead trunks.
Malcolm-On that first voyage after refit on being handed back to owners
1stR/O cabin was on Saloon deck starboard side next to Chief Steward(very unusual I know but thats the cabin I was given) Regards Teb.
Old 17th July 2010, 06:15

Malcolm- It's 60 odd years since I left Glenearn after that first voyage -not to sure I am going to be much help. However on that voyage the cabin next to Radio Room was the 2nd R/O's cabin not sure if it was changed the next voyage or later ?? Regarding the Radio Equipment whilst after all this time can not be100percent certain I really do believe it was Marconi Oceanspan etc.( sorry could not be more definite-Old Age really does suck ) Regards

Last edited by teb; 17th July 2010 at 11:06..
Old 15th August 2010, 09:33

Glengarry was Marconi CR300 and Oceanspan. 1st R/O was next door, aft end boat deck, great for parties. 2nd R/O was boat deck forward next to 3rd Mate.
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:36

much belated thanks to everyone who kindly contributed to this discussion. I'm afraid the post notification didn't work and after a while I didn't check back .

My father operated the radar or RDF as he frequently reminds me before we gave the technology to our American allies.

I expect all of that would have been stripped out of the ship when it was refitted in 1947 . I'd love to know what the equipment looked like