Common Brothers - Ships Nostalgia
11:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Common Brothers

User Tag List

Old 17th November 2005, 21:50

Common Brothers

Hello all
Did anyone sail with comon brothers shipping company, does anyone have a list of thier ships, anyone know the history of the company, i would be pleased to hear from anyone, also searching for a picture of the small bulk carrier Ria Jean Mcmurtry, can anyone help, would love to hear anything about the company Kind regards Geordie
Old 17th November 2005, 22:22
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
From your handle I presume your from the NE. If so its well worh a visit to South Shields Library as they have quite alot on the Tyne Companies.
Old 17th November 2005, 23:37

gdynia thanks for the reply, yes im from Newcastle, sailed with scottish ship management a couple of times, loved it, they have a website and its great, unable to find anything about comon bros on the net, sailed on the Ria jean Mcmurtry in 74 and i know the office was in Newcastle, but that about all i know.
Old 18th November 2005, 12:00

Commons head office was in Exchange Buildings, Quayside, Newcastle. The building is still there and I'm sure it is signed Exchange Buildings still, just walk along the quayside starting at the Tyne Bridge and you will see it, if you get to the Court building you have come too far.
Old 1st December 2005, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Egan
Commons head office was in Exchange Buildings, Quayside, Newcastle. The building is still there and I'm sure it is signed Exchange Buildings still, just walk along the quayside starting at the Tyne Bridge and you will see it, if you get to the Court building you have come too far.
Thanks Jeff, all the best
Old 6th January 2006, 20:58

Hi Geordie,
Why not pop into the maritime museum just behind the courts, I am sure they will give you all the info you need, it,s on the quayside, cheers bill (North Shields)
Old 9th January 2006, 20:01
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa002f0328
Hi Geordie,
Why not pop into the maritime museum just behind the courts, I am sure they will give you all the info you need, it,s on the quayside, cheers bill (North Shields)
Bill
Change of orders got sent out to the Red Sea instead of South Korea. Now offshore Ras Shekheir
Old 10th January 2006, 00:27

I Sailed On A Tanker S.s Border Minstrel That I Think Was A Commons Bro. Ship.her Sister Ship Was The Border Reiver And Both Were About 113oo Tons G.r.t. This Was In 1955/56, She Was On Time Charter To B.t.c.with Their Colours But In A Tartan Configuration. I Done Two Trips On Her And She Was One Of The Best Ships Iever Sailed On. Her Crew Was Lasker But The Officers Were All Scotts Except Me And The O.m,...sparks.
Old 10th January 2006, 12:48
Ship's Minstrel
Active: 1968 - 1970

My location
I was on the "Border Pele" in 69/70.
She was managed by Common Brothers but was owned by the Lowland Tanker Co.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffers; 10th January 2006 at 20:13.. Reason: correct dates
Old 10th January 2006, 14:59

Common Bros

Hi Jack,
I was on the Border Minstrel for the most of 1957, Joined her in Hamburg in the early spring and paid off at the TOB prior to her discharge
at Finnart in December.
Indeed a good ship and we had a variety of good discharge ports.
Will post a photograph of her in the Tanker Gallery.

Archie.

Last edited by ARRANMAN35; 12th January 2006 at 21:07..
Old 11th January 2006, 21:18

Common Brothers

Hello Everyone.

Nice to hear someone talking about Common Brothers. I started as Deck Cadet in 1970 and Border Reiver was my first ship. Joined her in Oita and after leaving Japan one of the big end bolts sheared on the old Doxford. The engineers made a temporary repair in the South China Sea and we made it back to the Uk ( 4 months later) on 5 legs, via a few ports on the way.

Commons Brothers moved from Exchange Buildings some time in the 70's to a place called Bamburgh House which I think was on Market Street?

I stayed with them for 7 and a half years and had a great time serving with all kinds of really good blokes.

The ships I sailed on were...Border Reiver, Fina Britannia, Kazimah, Simonburn, Border Shepherd, Nimos (the one everyone wanted to get on...Aussi Coast), Joseph.R.Smallwood (which then became the 'Afghanistan')
Afghanistan and finally Sirine.

I have some old 'Common Crier' house magazines with a long list of ships that were managed, along with the crews along with some intersting articles.

I have to say those days with Commons were hard to beat. Are there any old shipmates out there?

All the best

Steve Mills
Old 13th January 2006, 16:13

Hindustan Steam Ship Co. Ltd. Formed in 1893 by J.W. Squance & Co. who changed their name to Common Brothers Ltd. in 1906 following the retirement of Captain Squance. The company faded out of sight in Lloyds in the late 1980s after it was acquired by Norex Corporation before resuming briefly in the late 1990's.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Common Bros..gif (5.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 19th January 2006, 23:12
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1969

Border Terrier

I sailed as Second R/O on the Border Terrier in 1962.
She was my first ship and I quite liked her.
Nice food and the ship was always very clean and tidy.

P.S. The attached pic is of the Border Reiver. I believe the Terrier was of the same class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Border Terrier.jpg (28.1 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by Wainui; 19th January 2006 at 23:15..
Old 20th January 2006, 07:30
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainui

P.S. The attached pic is of the Border Reiver. I believe the Terrier was of the same class.
Ahoy Wainui,
Here you are, the Terrier;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Border Terrier 1956-small.jpg (61.7 KB, 302 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 20th January 2006, 15:41
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome fsmillsy, abiet a little late , enjoy the site and all it has to offer.
Old 7th April 2006, 11:32
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1969

Border Terrier

Thanks Ruud,

I do have a pic of the Terrier now, couldn't find it at the time I posted the last message. Very clean ships arn't they ?

Cheers.

Wainui.

Last edited by Wainui; 7th April 2006 at 11:38..
Old 14th May 2006, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainui

My Father sailed on various Common Brothers ships from 1962 to about 1975. His name was Alan Robinson and he was a cheif engineer. I am at present doing my family history and would be interested if anyone knew him and had any photographs, as my mother lost ours when she moved house.
Old 26th May 2006, 19:19

Liz,

The name rings a bell and I can picture a face but I think he may have been second engineer when I met him.( sometime between 1970 and 1975... it may have been on the Simonburn)

I have no photo's but I will look in some House magazines for his name on any of the ships in there.

Regards
Steve Mills
Old 26th May 2006, 23:47
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Sailed as Electrician on Afghanistan 1962 (My first trip to sea) and Iron Crown 1962-1963, left Commons to go with Bank Line!
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:15
Colin

My Dad Robert Thompson, was with Commons for a good while, I did a couple of trips with him when I was 3 -4 yrs old w ith brother and sisters on the Border Laird and Border Hunter. My earliest memories are of the Gillie Gillie man in Suez and the lights of Hamburg. Sad but true My Dad became a Super in '59 and we moved to the NE from L'pool
Old 22nd August 2006, 21:14

World Ship Society published an excellent history: The Trades Increase, A Centenary History of Norex plc, Founded in 1893 as The Hindustan Steam Shipping Co. Ltd, Managed by Common Brothers. I sailed for them 1985-7 in SPRING DELIGHT.
Old 28th August 2006, 12:31

Hindustan Steam Shipping Company

Tony
Having served my time and sailed with Common Bros. from 1963 till 1970 I was wondering if the book "The Trades Increase" includes a history of Commons as well as the Hidustan Shipping Company.
I did four stints on the Afghanistan and the Daghastan as well as the Iron Ore and the Border Laird and was one of the few engineering cadets that Commons ever employed. In fact when I was with them they managed forty ships
Old 28th August 2006, 17:16
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie
Hello all
Did anyone sail with comon brothers shipping company, does anyone have a list of thier ships, anyone know the history of the company, i would be pleased to hear from anyone, also searching for a picture of the small bulk carrier Ria Jean Mcmurtry, can anyone help, would love to hear anything about the company Kind regards Geordie
Hi-- there are a couple of pics on shipspotting of a 1973 ship,now "Adriatic Arrow", ex Ria Jean McMurtry-- would this be the one? A link is:
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=275256
there is a stern view at the preceding photo in the shipspotting list

The ship is also listed here,where it appears pics may be ordered;
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:...=uk&ct=clnk&cd

Finally, I attach a rather small and indistict pic of the ship in the Channel, details/date of pic unknown. Regards

P.S. it subsequently occurred to me that if it was a Channel shot,it was probably from Skyfotos, so I searched their site and it is in fact available from Skyfotos World Ships Club, for about £3.50 inc. p&p.The link is:
http://3277.e-printphoto.co.uk/skyfo...98&action=view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ria jean mcmurtry.JPG (10.1 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by john shaw; 29th August 2006 at 15:38..
Old 30th August 2006, 12:12

Hi Dave,

The book "The Trades Increase" ISBN 0 905617 74 6 consists of 200 pages & lists all ships in a total of 51 companies owned, controlled or managed by Commons. It is very complete & in the normal style of WSS each ship is photographed with an acompanying brief but essentially complete history. All of your ships are included & over half of the book is dedicated to histories of Commons & their associated companies. My only interest in the company was my last ship, SPRING DELIGHT, which was owned by W&G Industrial Leasing of London, flagged in Hong Kong, demise chartered to Hopemount Shipping for time charter to Salen Reefer Services, later Cool Carriers. Hopemount was a Commons company by that time part of Kristian Siem's Norex empire and W&G, for Williams & Glynns Bank, was part of (I think) Royal Bank of Scotland or maybe Bank of Scotland. That may indicate how some obscure ships are listed.

It is an excellent book & I have read it cover to cover a couple of times & use it regularly for reference purposes so it well exceeded my expectations.

Regrads, Tony
Old 18th October 2006, 20:52

well halo geordie
Iworked for comons 1972-1979 and done a trip on rea jean, seen apic of her somewhere on this site you might know me brian nelson 3rd eng from south shields if you do drop a line.