Common Brothers - Page 9 - Ships Nostalgia
02:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Common Brothers

User Tag List

Old 17th September 2016, 02:37
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
Cadet to Chief officer. 61 to 1980 worked on most of there ships.
Sailed on the following Vessels. Laristan, Hindustan, Kazimah, Border Lass,AlSabbiyah, Border Terrier, Wabah, Fina Britannia. Al Funtas.
Your name please.
Old 26th September 2016, 09:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1977 - Present

Cool Kurdistan

Hi
trevor brown here.
I was also on the kurdistan the night she went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmay View Post
Hi

I joined Common Bros in 1977 probably one of the last batch of Cadets to join the company. I was with them until they laid everyone off in 1981/82. Great memories and met lots of good guys and lassies in my time with Commons.

Sailed on Caribbean Endeavour, Fina Britannia, Kurdistan (on her when she broke in two off the Canadian Coast) Afgahnistan, Alakram, Danny F, Fernando F, Persia.

Any old ship mates who are out there, love to hear from you.

Iain May, Edinburgh
Old 10th December 2016, 18:10

Exchange Buildings

Exchange buildings is still there on the Quayside but it is now a Premier Inn.
Old 12th December 2016, 07:19

My late husband was a cadet with Common Bros and left for NZS late sixties. Gordon Scott, unfortunately he got mesothelioma in 2012 and died in 2013, its a horrible disease.
Old 12th December 2016, 09:00
Active: 1960 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supern View Post
My late husband was a cadet with Common Bros and left for NZS late sixties. Gordon Scott, unfortunately he got mesothelioma in 2012 and died in 2013, its a horrible disease.
I Always wounder if the pump room steam plant was covered in a white powder if this is the cause.of mesothelioma. The union has done some research into this with similar ships from BP.
Old 13th December 2016, 04:00

Quote:
I Always wounder if the pump room steam plant was covered in a white powder if this is the cause.of mesothelioma. The union has done some research into this with similar ships from BP.
My husband said when he was a cadet and in the shipyards, the air was white like snow. My brother in law died in 2010 of asbestos related disease as well and he as a plumber in the ship yards. My husband's cousin also died of mesothelioma when he was 60 he had been exposed in the Royal Navy.

Here in Australia we get compensation, and anyone who has mesothelioma gets it as the disease only comes from asbestos exposure. So people who are exposed in recent times like doing up the house etc and not really knowing where they were exposed are still compensated without having to prove anything other than the disease.

Its funny we used to talk about how we were both exposed to asbestos me when a child as I spent some years in Africa and my husband at work and we never thought it would come to our door but it has and three times for the family.
Old 13th April 2018, 00:55
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1974

Hi all, it's about 4 years since I contacted this forum. I sailed on the Al Badiah in 1972 as 2nd Radio Officer. I had a great 6 months onboard. I was the one who played the guitar! Names that I can remember: Mike Cooper was 1st Officer, also Geoffrey Turnbull (1st Officer), John Greenwood was 3rd Officer, Brian Nelson was 3rd Eng, Ken & Steve were Electricians. Anyone out there remember any of these guys? Sean Bonner was my Chief R/O and I believe he died within the past 4 years or so. I'd love to hear from anyone who sailed on the Al Badiah between Feb '72 & Aug '72. Cheers! Brian Flynn (Dublin)
Old 13th April 2018, 06:52
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Hello Brian, perhaps after your time.
We were with my Dad Bob Phillips on Al Badia He joined in Breast February 1973 then we joined him 16th March at the River Thames Corytown refinery. we stayed aboard until August 1973 Flying home from Dubai.
Alex Phillips
Old 13th April 2018, 19:07

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. No, I didn't know your father. As a Radio Officer, I was employed by Marconi and I moved from shipping company to shipping company. After my six months on the Al Badiah, I never joined any other Common Brothers' ships. Brian
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:53
Active: 1958 - 1999

A merry Christmas and a happy new to all ex Common Brother staff.
Its been a long long time since anyone has written on these pages so I hope i'm
not the only one left !.
regards to all
mel allen
chief engineer.
Old 3rd December 2018, 21:35

Hi Mel, although I was not Common Bros staff, I have very fond memories of my my first trip to sea as 2nd R/O on the Al Badiah. I can only remember a couple of names of lads who worked in the Engine Room. Brian Nelson, 'Nobby' Clarke and George O'Neill (?) (from Scotland), Willie McCoubrey (from NI). Mike Cooper was 1st Mate and John Greenwood was 3rd mate. It was 1972 - long time ago! Anyway, seasonal greetings to you and yours. Best regards, Brian Flynn (Dublin)
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
not the only one left !.
regards to all
mel allen
chief engineer.
This is Chris james how are you doing.
Old 4th December 2018, 11:32

My location
Sailing with Commons

Quote:
This is Chris james how are you doing.
Wasn't with Commons very long; sailing as 2nd Mate in IRON HORSE
BORDER CHIEFTAIN and WARBAH.
Very good memories of happy and contented times.
In IRON HORSE with Albert Le Blond (2/E), Highly successful entrepreneur.The late Alan Howe (3/E). He later became a Super with Buries, and then a hotelier in Devon.
Don Maidlow & Robin Bachelor (Cadets), not to forget the redoubtable Captain Duncan Taylor (T2).
Also, not forgetting the volatile Dominic Martucci, Mate, thence Master.Outdid himself with excitement on the visit of B E Common to the ship in Birkenhead. Also Purser/C.Stwd Bill Allaway.
I met up with Robin in Gibraltar when I was OM of the wine tanker BERLIN. He went there to sail as 2nd Mate on the ferry MONS CALPE of Captain's Paradise fame, and went into business selling marine equipment.
Don Maidlow contacted me via SN and visited here in Newton Stewart.
He is in Aussie ( a sort of professional "yachtie").
BORDER CHIEFTAIN with Wilfred Box (Mate). Chris James (Cadet)
Gordon Tynemouth (C/E). Ipsberg (Purser/C.Stwd)
WARBAH Duncan Roberson (Master) & Alan Winsby (Sparks), now in Islandmagee.

Also in touch with Laurie Elms (IRON HORSE Cadet -now very involved with Humber Keels preservation).
Would have liked to remain with Commons, but on leaving WARBAH to go up for Master, found I had become short-sighted and went ashore for 8 years, only to return after sight standards were relaxed, best decision I ever made, although it broke up my first marriage.

Vic Pitcher
Manners makyth man
Old 4th December 2018, 13:24
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Interesting mention of Capt.Martucci,remember him well, got on very well with us port agents....

Another Commons mention, as an ex BISC(Ore)Ltd agent,Tees, and then Ship Scheduling Controller London....
Captain John George Wright, first met him as Mate but taking over from Capt.Black ( who was going to the Iron Age I think) on the Iron Ore in Middlesbrough...he was emptying his booze lockers and offered the two of us a drink...so we asked for a beer..sorry none left Whisky?..none left.....He did have gin though and filled a couple of those shaped Tennants Glasses almost to the top and added a small drip of orange!
We were on a buoy berth in the middle of the Tees and it was fortunate that I got the bus home,from the Transporter, as no way could I have driven!
From memory he used to spend much of his leave time at Cullercoats Radio Station.

The only Commons/Vallum Master I ever remember being off by was Captain Taylor on the Iron Horse...we hadn't taken enough small change for a crew pay-off.

geoff
Old 12th December 2018, 17:17
Active: 1964 - 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
not the only one left !.
regards to all
mel allen
chief engineer.
Good afternoon Mel.
Are you still into photography? I ask as I was in a friends home today, and there on their wall was a framed photograph of "Ullswater" with the photographers name, "Mel Allen". Your photograph? It looked rather good.
A merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.
Old 14th December 2018, 19:55
Active: 1958 - 1999

pleased to hear from you colin, its almost 40 years since we sailed together!!!
I was with Commons until 1985, over 20 years but didn't get my cufflinks.
I took one of the last gas carrier,s the Bo Bengtsson to the knackers
yard and when I got home the company had moved 3 days before to London and I never heard from them again.
I finished up doing 10 years with TK tankers, not too bad but some real strange people, mostly in the office
I also have a large painting of Ullswater lake by "mel allen" but not me.

I send all the best wishes to you and your family and to the other lads that have replied to my missive
Regards0
Mel
Old 5th March 2019, 11:51
Active: 1972 - Present

Common Brothers

Hi
I served my cadetship with Common Brothers from 1972 to 1976 then sailed as 3rd and 2nd mate until 1978
Started on Arabiyah then Daghestan, Langley (ex Butmah of Total oil -still the worst ship I have ever been on), Border Castle, Frank D Moores which became Kurdistan while I was on board, Vastiram two tours - almost all at anchor in Lagos! before finally leaving for B&I of Ireland.
Anyone left out there?
Old 14th April 2019, 15:42
Active: 1974 - 1979

reply to your question

Hi Rohan.
I have left a couple of replies to you but have not had anything back so was wondering if I was doing this correctly.
I do remember sailing with you in Common Bros but can't remember which ship, it may have been the Daghestan last trip laid up in Barry waiting for new owners to arrive for hand over, but of course it could have been any of the ships I was J/Eng on the Daghestan but later became 4th.
Keith Humphreys from Cardiff.
Old 14th April 2019, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Mac Allister View Post
Hi
I served my cadetship with Common Brothers from 1972 to 1976 then sailed as 3rd and 2nd mate until 1978
Started on Arabiyah then Daghestan, Langley (ex Butmah of Total oil -still the worst ship I have ever been on), Border Castle, Frank D Moores which became Kurdistan while I was on board, Vastiram two tours - almost all at anchor in Lagos! before finally leaving for B&I of Ireland.
Anyone left out there?
Hi
Was i with you on the Vastiram from builders to Rotterdam.
Chris James
Old 16th April 2019, 17:51

Daghestan & Vastiram

Hi Keith
Sorry I did not get back to you straight away, couldn't figure this out - old age is a terrible thing. I have a feeling we were together on the Daghestan.

Chris - I think you were mate on the Vastiram when I was 2nd mate - would that sound right. We were in Bombay for about 6 weeks then a voyage to Lagos and at anchor there for about 4 months?

Rohan
Old 16th April 2019, 18:37

Hi Rohan
Yes that right. enjoyed our selves. went to the laid up wood burn sold her. then to the Simon burn sold her. redundant then silver line back from the Falklands redundant again went full time teaching sailing. until the money runout back to sea, made master with v ships then gibsons then feet up.
What are you doing now.
Old 16th April 2019, 19:57

Common Bros

Hi Chris
Good to hear from you again. I remember we got the opportunity to sail a GP 14 - I think it was - around Bombay harbour.
I left CB in 1979 and was 2nd and chief mate with the B&I ferry company. In 86 I took the golden handshake, there were no prospects for further advancement at the time. Unemployd for about 9 months then went to Sint Martin in the Caribbean lived with my brother on his Nicholson 32 for a while then got a job as captain on a nice dive charter boat for 6 months - lots of lovely dives around Virgin and windward islands. Sailed home with the transarc on the Nicholson then got a job as mate on the Irish sail training ship Asgard II. There for 10 years!! finished up as captain. Left in 98 and set up my own business surveying and marine consultancy while doing some summer relief work. Joined a small shipping company here in Ireland in 05 and sailed as master on Christina O - Onnasis's yacht. later did a few years as captain on the Nautilus, a small research ship. Started as pilot in Dublin port in 2010 part time and went full time in 2012. In the mean time I took up a part time position with another Irish shipping company as Marine Superintendent as well as doing the same with the other company. Let go from Dublin Port last year when I turned 65 so now superintendent full time. Just received a call an hour ago that one of the ships is adrift in the Med, ME and genys shut down! Might be away for a while.

Rohan
Old 16th April 2019, 20:19

Hi Rohan our paths must have cross was mate on the ramrod in two of the tall ship race.
Chris
Old 16th April 2019, 20:40

Common Bros

I remember Ramrod so we may well have bumped into each other without any recognition! We were in almost all of the European races between 89 and 98.

Rohan
Old 16th April 2019, 21:07

I was a little early 85around that dates