Saguanay Line - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Saguanay Line

User Tag List

Old 9th February 2012, 16:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1974

Bob Hemmings, the cadet, was a real "Jack the lad". He sailed with me as an uncertificated 3/0 on 'the shuttle'. He couldn't take his drink.

I met him some years later in South Wales, along with Eddie Wells. He had married a school teacher and was very much under her control. The thumb print was clearly visible on the top of his head!

I was on a cruise last December on the Queen Victoria and met one of the engineers who worked on the Sunek at the drydock back then. Small world!
Old 9th February 2012, 18:31

We took Hemmings ashore in Bellingham, Washington. Aged 19 he was not permitted to drink, but he sat along-side us, in the restaurant section separated by a rope. He drank coke.
Miltos the Greek junior kept topping-up Hemmings coke with rum. OK till Miltos dropped the rum bottle on the floor. The waitress (Madam Hitler) dashed over and sniffed the "Coke"
We got out just before the arrival of the "Boys in blue"

Always wondered about Hemmings after we introduced him to "Demon rum" after the 8-12 watch

canada tom
Old 9th February 2012, 18:45

which engineer/

Was it a ships's engineer or one of the dockies?
Our second Peter Allan was big and a Scot. The 3rd Joe Markof was from Yorkshire.
Then Tom a hard working 4th.
I did all the nights on board
I took bunkers. I took the first night on board. Joe did the second night.
But we were seldom in port 2 nights.
Hence the 2nd never had nights on board.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:29

The missus has just reminded me. The engineer is French Canadian, and is first name is Giles. He worked for Saguenay for about 5 years, I believe.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:31

By the way, I think he was working shoreside at that time, at Davy's in Lauzon opposite Quebec City.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:05

French Canadian Engineer

We did have a FC eng. cadet. He lived in the Gaspe peninsula.
Originally worked on the "Lakers"
Deep sea time was equivalent double the lakes time.
His intention was to return to the lakes as wages there were excellent.
We dry docked at the Davey shipyard.
I was contacted by a Quebecois, who had resided on the banks of the St.Lawrence close to our collision point.
He sent me an excellent copy (in French) of the report he had compiled.
One evening, waiting for the bus, outside the Davey Yard, in the company of Mac, my welsh Junior, a Quebesoise lady said, in English,
"Have you been here long?"
Mac said, "Six weeks"
The lady replied, "Then, I haven't missed the bus."

True! I didn't make that one up.
canada tom
Old 10th February 2012, 09:57

Giles

Hi Canada Tom,

I laughed out loud ("lol" as my daughters tell me) at the bus story.

Here's a photo of Giles, the engineer.....40 years on from when you met him (if indeed you did). He's on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020631.JPG (30.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 10th February 2012, 10:37

Canada Tom,Amazing ! Blast from the Past I rememberboth Pete Allan & Joe Markam I joined the Sunrhea in Port Esquvel Jamaica 6 March 1968 as 4th Engineer and paid off in Rotterdam 21st December 1968 with Jimmy Carolan
2/eng & Joe Markam 3/eng did Kitimat, Sundsval Sweden. Marseilles France there for 2weeks height of summer Good criagh John Richards
Old 10th February 2012, 18:54

small world

Quote:
Originally Posted by john richards View Post
Canada Tom,Amazing ! Blast from the Past I rememberboth Pete Allan & Joe Markam I joined the Sunrhea in Port Esquvel Jamaica 6 March 1968 as 4th Engineer and paid off in Rotterdam 21st December 1968 with Jimmy Carolan
2/eng & Joe Markam 3/eng did Kitimat, Sundsval Sweden. Marseilles France there for 2weeks height of summer Good criagh John Richards
I think Peter Allan went on the Lakes.
Joe Markham was on the Sunrhea after the
Sunek
Met both of them regularly in the bar in Kitimat
(there was only one bar)
This thread is sure spinning out; that's good,
Old 10th February 2012, 18:58

in the bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada tom View Post
I think Peter Allan went on the Lakes.
Joe Markham was on the Sunrhea after the
Sunek
Met both of them regularly in the bar in Kitimat
(there was only one bar)
This thread is sure spinning out; that's good,
Maybe we met in the Kitimat bar.
There were other crew members in the bar with Joe.
I'm a Scot and at that time worked at the Alcan smelter
Old 11th February 2012, 04:20
Active: 1969 - 1978

Wondering if anyone remembers Jean Lois Garron or Ron Gale, mates on the Sun boats late sixties early seventies.

Last edited by Cranky; 11th February 2012 at 04:20.. Reason: sp
Old 11th February 2012, 09:32

Hi Canada Tom, I do remember the bar @ The Kitimat Hotel in fact we where in there one night and a Big Brown Bear was trying to get in the foyer of the hotel ! The manager shood it away, he said they are coming out of hibernation because the smell of the bakerey then they go routing in the bins. I vaugely remember another place we used to drink a resturant something resembeling a Swiss Chalet also some meeting like a Caledionian Club Pipes and a band dancing etc or was that somewhere else. I might have met you , we used to talk to some lads from the Alcan Plant good atmosphere. I remember going ashore one night and looking up at these huge banks of snow that had been cleared by the snow plough , the driver said they had 26 foot of snow recently. Anyway Tom I have fond memories of Kitimat, We sent one of the J/E`s ashore to buy a rifle for target shooting we had permision of the Skipper, The J/E came back with a 308 cal bear rifle and a bag of bullets! I took it back and bought a more sensible 22 rifle and boxes of ammo, left the rifle onboard when we paid off in Rotterdam. Cheers Tom. John Richards
Old 15th February 2012, 19:34

The chief engineers on the shuttle boats I sailed on were Karl Reinholdt and (I think), Fred? Williams.....but there was a third one who was something of a character/oddball whose name I can't remember. For the 6 months he spent on board he just has a bag the size of an aircraft carry-on bag.

I understand that he'd inherited a load of shares for the LaBatt breweries, and was worth a mint. Reputedly his home address was the penthouse flat at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in downtown Montreal. His personal hygiene left much to be desired, but fortunately he took his meals in his cabin.

Did you come across him?
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersuk View Post
Sailed on a 13 month voyage on the "Sunjarv" on charter to Saguenay. We were on the bauxite trade.
Part cargos from Mackenzie, Guyana and top up in Chuagaramus, Trinidad. Thence to either Europe, usually Norway, or to Port Alfred. We also did one trip from Port Alfred to Kitimat.

Derek
Was the "Sunjarv" owned and manned by Elder Dempster personnel.?
Johnl
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:08
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

In 1958 I joined Constantines in Middlesbrough in their agency department, the most hated job was the sending out of Cargo Circulars for the regular Saguanay Sailings....we employed a Cargo Canvasser in MIddlesbrough. The Head Office in London was the joint UK Representative for the Line along with Bahr Behrend in Liverpool. Whilst Avonmouth figured on some sailings, then Liverpool, we were more interested in the Glasgow & Tees loadings where we were agents. These circulars had to be issued within 48 hours of our receipt of stemming and that meant that if the girls couldn't get the Banda to do the labels then I, as office boy, had to take about 250 of them home and handwrite the addresses..........then post them the following day.

This service was full Liner only and was to the West Indies,multi-port, with a wide variety of goods, mainly industrial and agricultural....they were loaded at Dents Wharf in Middlesbrough.

Saguanay UK Ltd had an office on London Wall I believe..

geoff
Old 3rd March 2012, 00:16
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gillespie View Post
Johnl

The 'Sunjarv', ex 'Gjendefjell' was bought by Paddy Henderson's just about the time they were taken over by ED's.

The manning was mixed ED's and Paddy's although mostly ED's.
Master, Duncan Campbell
Mate, Pete Finan
2nd Mate, Frank Waring
Ch. Eng., Billy Williams
2nd Eng. Myself
Ch. Stwd, Ken O'Nions
Burmese crowd with Chinese Chippy (Not the take-away kind)
2 Chinese fitters

Derek

Last edited by eldersuk; 3rd March 2012 at 00:20..
Old 16th April 2012, 02:05

to find out

hi, i am trying to locate an ex-crew member who worked on one of
the saguenay ships that use to carry bauxite from guyana to the caribbean, his name is jose zamora, and he was from honduras, i dont know the name of the saguenay ship,but it was somewhere between 1954 and 1957 if you have any information i will be gratefull
annag

Last edited by annag_57; 16th April 2012 at 02:15..
Old 16th April 2012, 02:11

to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gillespie View Post
Johnl
can you say what year was that ,when you sailed on the saguenay ship to guyana to collect the bauxite
Old 16th April 2012, 02:13

can you say what year was it that you sailed to guyana to collect bauxite on the saguenayship, and do you know any jose zamora
Old 15th October 2012, 13:24

My location
MV Sunjarv

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersuk View Post
Sailed on a 13 month voyage on the "Sunjarv" on charter to Saguenay. We were on the bauxite trade.
Part cargos from Mackenzie, Guyana and top up in Chuagaramus, Trinidad. Thence to either Europe, usually Norway, or to Port Alfred. We also did one trip from Port Alfred to Kitimat.

Derek
Hi, My name is Erling Hellesund I am interested in the former name of MV Sunjarv. I wonder if she is the former MV Gjendefjell built in Sunderland for Norwegian ships owner Olsen & Uglestad Oslo. Do you now ?
Old 15th October 2012, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingh View Post
Hi, My name is Erling Hellesund I am interested in the former name of MV Sunjarv. I wonder if she is the former MV Gjendefjell built in Sunderland for Norwegian ships owner Olsen & Uglestad Oslo. Do you now ?
SUNJARV(ex.GJENDEFJELL) 1964 Acquired for 425,000 by British & Burmese SNCo.(Elder Dempster) to meet an offered British ship(A Canadian trade union requirement hence purchaced from Norwegian owners)six year paper pulp charter.Inteded name SUNSALWEEN but chaters selected SUNJARV.
Old 6th January 2013, 00:34
Department: Engineering
Active: 1953 - 1965

in 1959 i was 4/engineer on the s.s.federal voyager a british ship chartered to the canadian government home port montreal when in canada. i remember the many sun ships of sagueney terminals at that time. i think there were 30 in total. they were very nice ships with a reputation for good feeding.
Old 14th February 2013, 08:12

I was born in Guyana then British Guiana and I am researching material about Guyana and those who might have been in contact with Guyana. I have found the names of several individuals from Guyana who worked on ships out of Guyana including the Saguenay lines, their names were:
Carlos Pinheiro, Romeo Pinheiro, Bobby Pinheiro, Larry Pineiro, Alfred Alsop, Curtis Warren, Richard, Gill, Andre Gill, Aloric Gill and some other names I will post later. Does anyone know of them? Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Last edited by ATISS; 15th February 2013 at 00:15..
Old 14th February 2013, 09:32

Demond Alleyne is the only crew member's name I recollect - he was pumpman on the Sunwalker while I was there 1968-70.
Old 14th February 2013, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner44 View Post
Demond Alleyne is the only crew member's name I recollect - he was pumpman on the Sunwalker while I was there 1968-70.
Thanks Mariner44, do you have any photos and memories of your voyages to Guyana that you would like to share, if so I can give you my email address and you can send them to me. I will give you the attributions for your contributions.