Bell Line - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
08:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bell Line

User Tag List

Old 5th January 2015, 16:20

Bell Lines History

Can anyone help me with the history of Bell Lines, the Wiki german translation doesn't make much sense,

feel free to adjust

thank you

The company had its roots in Dublin forwarding and shipping company George Bell & Company. As of 1962, Bell held in cooperation with the shipping company Clyde Shipping Company an individualized service for palletized and containerized non-standardized cargo of Waterford to the Mersey. 1963 another service between Dublin and was Preston in cooperation with the shipping company Atlantic Steam Navigation Company built from Preston. In 1964, George Bell, a Bellport-called container terminal in Newport on the Usk. In the same year founded George Bell & Company, the Clyde Shipping Company and the Atlantic Steam Navigation Company Waterford Consortium, a container feeder service between Preston and Waterford - operate - one of the first short-haul container liner services in Europe. The proportion of the Clyde Shipping Company was acquired in 1974 by George Bell. opened in 1966,

George Bell another container service between Waterford and Rotterdam as Bell Line. Later the Belview Container Terminal was built in Waterford and operated by Bell Lines. In 1967, a container service between Middlesbrough and Rotterdam added.

Until the 1980s, Bell built on more lines between the Continent, Ireland and Britain, taking in the late 1970s, a larger series of its own ships on the Japanese shipyard Kagoshima Dock & Iron Works building in Kagoshima.
After Bell had operated for nearly three decades in a terminal Brittanniëhaven, the company began in March 1995 with the construction of a new Short Sea Center / Mertens said container port terminal in Rotterdam Eemhaven that could be taken a good year it into operation. At the same time ordered Bell 1994/95 three new ships in the same shipyard Boizenburg , the sister ships Ady Bell, Bell and Bell Atlas Astron. In 1996 there was serious damage due to non-secured containers bridges in Waterford during bad weather. In addition, Bell Lines complained of charge by the failures opened in 1994 Euro Tunnel .

In February and July 1997, the lower house of the Irish Parliament dealt with the financial problems of the company. In June 1997, Bell Lines tried to restructure and requested a postponement of payment. At this time there was an interest in buying the Irish Continental Group (ICG), one of the main shareholders. From 22 July 1997, the Mertens-terminal was as Rotter Team Short Sea Terminal (RST) in possession of European Combined Terminals (ECT, 33.3%) and the Deka Group (Steinweg Handelsveem and Lehnkering Montan Nederland, 66.6%) continued. In August, it became clear that the company Bell Lines was beyond saving as such.
Old 16th June 2015, 23:10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harwich View Post
Hi

I'm looking for any information on Bell Line ships that where in Harwich, I have a some but guess there where many more, would you have a list of vessels that arrived in Harwich ?

many thanks
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Harwich;

Sorry, but I don't remember with certainty the ships that called at Parkeston or Ipswich. I do remember the BELL PIONEER due to her hatchless configuration; RULER and RACER also come to mind, but after the length of time that has passed, I'm not too sure of the others. They generally obtained PECs fairly quickly, and so, being in the Pilotage service, I din't have so much contact with the ships.

Martyn
Hi all i haven't been on for a long time, I sailed on Bell Lines ships from 1977 till 1994 I might be able to add some info if interested, also there's some photos on my profile of Bell ships. Regards Paddy
Old 17th June 2015, 16:50

Bell Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Roche View Post
Hi all i haven't been on for a long time, I sailed on Bell Lines ships from 1977 till 1994 I might be able to add some info if interested, also there's some photos on my profile of Bell ships. Regards Paddy
Thanks Paddy

I have a few photos ,but would like to know more about the history of Bell Lines, where there any books, or brochures about the history?
Old 17th June 2015, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harwich View Post
Thanks Paddy

I have a few photos ,but would like to know more about the history of Bell Lines, where there any books, or brochures about the history?
I have been compiling details of all the ships involved whether they were owned, managed or chartered and currently have 64 although two of those I am not 100% sure about. Also been developing a potted history the company development until final collapse
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:03

I think I have got as far as I can, so here is what I have to offer. The full details of the charter-in ships, I have, but not included.

Bell Lines Ltd

Although the company was associated more with the S.E. Irish port of Waterford, it originated in Dublin. George Bell & Company (Dublin) Ltd. (Coy. No. 9270) was incorporated on 28th August 1936, although from available sources, it is unknown if any previous names were used. Hitherto, the 1960’s they were predominantly in the brokerage and stevedoring businesses. George Bell (Chartering) Ltd. (Coy.No.18296) was incorporated in Dublin on 7th July 1960 followed by Bell Lines Ltd, (Coy. No. 18806) on 10th April 1961. Again, it is unknown if any previous names existed for the latter pair.
Bell, were forward thinking, seeing the potential of the growing container / unit load system of transportation. In 1964 they entered negotiations with liner service operator Clyde Shipping Co. Ltd, of Glasgow with a view to inaugurating a partnership service for the transportation of palletized and containerised goods between Ireland and mainland UK (Waterford – Mersey). Within a year they had also entered into collaboration with Atlantic Steam Navigation Co. Ltd, from Preston. These co-partnerships were referred to as the “Waterford Consortium”, each partner holding a one-third share.
A container port was established on the River Usk at Newport, S. Wales to serve a Waterford service and a Preston-Waterford service also commenced. The Newport “Bellport” facility was created utilising an old dry dock which was straddled by a container crane. The ship entered the dock and her cargo able to be placed either side of the dock. Aside the container traffic, the company also chartered numerous coasters for general and bulk cargo operations. For the latter, if renamed, vessels were given BELL C…………. names.
With services established between UK and Ireland, Bell looked further afield to Europe when in 1966 they opened a new service between Waterford and Rotterdam under the brand name “BELL FERRY”. With this latter service came a standardised naming system for the ships together with a new corporate identity. Ships were given a deep blue hull and a purple funnel with logo.
Two “firsts” were achieved with this new service. The appropriately named BELL VANGUARD, not only was the first to carry the new BELL prefixed name, she was believed also to have been the first true purpose-built container carrier on the W. German register.
The company worked for 25 years from Frank Cassin Wharf at Waterford, opened in November 1968, with a capacity of 80,000 TEU per annum, and Brittanniëhaven in Rotterdam/Rozenburg. Middlesbrough Teesport was added as a route from Rotterdam in 1967.
Over the next decade or so, the network developed, with further route additions; London’s Victoria Deepwater Terminal, later moved to Harwich Parkeston Quay; Radicatel on the Seine near Le Havre served routes to Teesport, Newport, Waterford. A fortnightly service was also introduced to Belfast together with one from Newport to Bilbao.
Aside the mainstay BELL prefixed vessels, the company continued to charter numerous others for varying periods, either as feeders to meet demand and fluctuations in volume of boxes to move or indeed, non-containerised cargo such a timber. Some were only voyage chartered.
Bell Lines Ltd (Coy No.1023115) was incorporated in London on 6th September 1971 and changed name on 31st December 1976 to George Bell (Shipbrokers) Ltd., being dissolved on 12th December 1989. In 1973, Bellferry Ltd appeared in Thom’s Street Directory for Dublin, with offices at Bell House, 7/11 Montague Street, Dublin 2, although the name had earlier appeared in EU reports in 1969.
George Bell & Co. Ltd. acquired the Clyde Shipping Co. shareholding during 1974 and a major step-change in operation followed. The early years had relied purely on chartered ships but in 1976 the company placed, in batches, orders for ten sisterships with a Japanese shipbuilder for delivery 1976 – 78. Those new vessels were allocated to Bell Lines Ltd with offices also at Bell House, 7/11 Montague Street, Dublin 2. However, to finance the ambitious Japanese orders, the company subsequently found it necessary to invite others to take over some of the vessels with a guaranteed charter-back period. Thereafter, the operations settled into a fairly steady routine and growth until the late1980’s. Some of the Japanese vessels were to suffer problems with their main engine, necessitating lost days from service and in some cases, assistance from tugs.
Digging into historical Irish company data, reveals as stated earlier, that Bell Lines Ltd (company No. 18806) was originally incorporated on 10th October 1961, but under what name is unclear, potentially George Bell & Co. Ltd., because on 20th June 1986, a new George Bell & Co. Ltd (No.114964) was registered with offices at Bell House. Looking in parallel at the UK Companies House-Webcheck facility, it reveals that there were three entries for Bell Lines Ltd., all linking back to the Irish Parent registry for Coy. No 18806. BR2768 and FC13594 were both registered at Cardiff on 15th October 1986 and dissolved 21st June 2001. NF2759 was registered at Belfast on 8th April 1988.
Driving force, George Holloway, who had developed the company since acquiring control in the mid-1960’s, was presented with an acceptable offer of takeover by a Dutch based stevedoring group associated with the Port of Rotterdam, and which also had operations in Germany and South America. Euro Container Shipping plc, as part of the transaction, was incorporated in Dublin during 1988 as a subsidiary of Dutch company Beheer HES. Bell Line remained autonomous in management but received additional funds to aid modernisation.
The Waterford terminal by 1991 was working well over capacity with 130,000TEU per annum, resulting in cargo having to be diverted elsewhere. Concerns were also raised about the structural integrity of the quayside with the extra burden and fears of collapse, so Waterford Harbour Commissioners planned a new much larger facility to be built. Finances were complicated to say the least as major dredging and other associated construction works were required to enable the larger vessels planned for the route to enter and leave the port at all states of the tide. The Irish Government were approached to be guarantors of a major financial outlay and also Bell to underwrite part of the cost through guaranteed payments to the Port Authority over a period of 15 years. The new facility would enable three vessels to berth and would also enable other operators to jointly use it, although Bell would remain the priority customer. Early in 1992 a lengthy draft proposal was laid before the Senate for approval, a small extract of which is below.

“I am satisfied that the Belview project is justified — the present lo-lo container terminal has a design capacity of 80,000 TEUs; in 1991 it handled 130,000 TEUs. Because the existing terminal is being over-utilised, there is a very real danger that the wharf will be undermined to such an extent that it will have to be taken out of commission. Due to lack of capacity, traffic is being forced away from Waterford and the service to customers is being adversely affected.
The Belview lo-lo container terminal, when operational, will reduce by one hour sailing time between Waterford harbour and the UK and continental ports, will enable three ships to be worked simultaneously, will have flexible working arrangements — 24 hours per day, seven days per week, 364 days per year — which will result in a quicker ship turnaround time and thus will reduce costs to users. The lo-lo handling capacity of Waterford port will increase to 320,000 TEUs per annum. Waterford Harbour Commissioners are confident that the new container terminal at Belview will be completed and operational within 16 months from the date of commencement of the wharf construction.
While essential preliminary works, e.g. capital dredging, have been undertaken, actual construction works have not commenced as yet. In 1991 Waterford Harbour Commissioners invited tenders for the wharf construction — £7.5 million — and crane acquisition — £3.7 million. While the commissioners have issued letters of intent to the successful tenderers — Ascon for the wharf and Davy Morris UK Limited for the crane — the contracts have not been awarded as yet as certain necessary formalities have not been completed. The financial package for the project still has to be finalised and the commissioners have not as yet executed an agreement with Bell Lines Limited — the intended main user of Belview — whereby Bells will effectively undertake to service commercial borrowings of up to £10 million by the commissioners. The final draft of the agreement, as approved by my Department, was forwarded to Waterford Harbour Commissioners on 9 March 1992. Hopefully, the agreement duly executed by the commissioners and Bells will be returned at an early date for formal endorsement of my consent.
The draft agreement provides that Bell Lines will provide sufficient income to the commissioners to enable the interest and capital cost of borrowings up to a maximum of £8.5 million for a one crane operation and £10 million for a two crane operation to be discharged over 15 years; in addition harbour rates in respect of guaranteed minimum throughputs will be paid by Bells to the commissioners. These harbour rates will be increased annually in line with or related to the increase in the CPI. In return Bells will have priority though not exclusive use of the Belview container terminal.
Thus it can be seen that the agreement will underwrite all the outgoings on the borrowings which Waterford Harbour Commissioners could not have undertaken out of their own income of approximately £1.5 million per annum. If traffic falls off for reasons other than force majeure or if Bells decide not to continue using Waterford, they would still be legally bound to meet the capital and interest repayments. Without the agreement Waterford Harbour Commissioners would not be in a position to undertake the project on their own because of their present financial circumstances.
I should mention that the agreement also provides that Bells will continue to enjoy the use of the existing container terminal, the Frank Cassin Wharf. Of importance here is the fact that the management and operational structures currently in place at the Frank Cassin Wharf and which have been so successful, will continue. Once Bells transfer their operations to Belview, the Frank Cassin Wharf will be available to other container operators and both Waterford Harbour Commissioners and Bells are anxious to attract such operators to this wharf”.

Decisions were taken that a revamp of operations be undertaken, initiated with a new terminal in Rotterdam, ordered for 1995 opening. Within the year the company introduced BELL PIONEER the World’s first open-hatch container carrier. She was followed by a slightly larger sister EURO POWER, originally intended as BELL POWER. However, even the best laid plans can falter. With the opening of the Eurotunnel, container volumes had declined and revenues were being squeezed even harder by 1994 when rationalisation of the fleet was underway. Three larger vessels on order by German owners were arranged for charter upon completion.
The company once again had stretched finances to the limit with their recent investments and then Mother Nature struck the death knell when a severe storm crossed Waterford in 1996. The wind strength was such that it moved one of the container cranes which had not apparently had its parking brakes applied, causing it to derail and topple onto an adjacent crane, wrecking both. This event instantly closed Belview Terminal and with finances at their low level, the company had no quick fix available to them pending insurance settlement and repairs to the facility.
Such was the plight of the business, it warranted discussion in the Lower House of the Irish Parliament in February and July 1997 but despite the talking, no assistance was forthcoming. The Dutch parent meanwhile had as part of a survival package, been busy trying to re-finance and had created a new holding company in Dublin, Taigro Ltd, which took ownership of some vessels pending a decision on the future of the business. There was tentative interest shown by the Irish Continental Group, reportedly a major shareholder, in acquiring the remainder of equity but container operations was not really within their primary field of ferry operating.
No rescue was therefore forthcoming so by August 1997, after thirty five years and having employed around sixty vessels, the Bell Group folded with the loss of 100 jobs in Waterford alone. Companies within the group at the time were stated as Bell Lines Ltd; Bell Freight Transport Group Ltd; Waterford Multiport Ltd, Belview Ships Agents & Stevedores Ltd and Bell (Mertens Terminal) Ltd.
The latter company related to the Rotterdam Short Sea Terminal (RST) which was on 22nd July 1997 reported as being owned 33.3% by European Combined Terminals (ECT) and 66.6% by Deka Group (Steinweg Handelsveem & Lehnkering Montan Nederland). It is not clear if they were the holdings prior to the Bell Line collapse or those absorbing any previous Bell holding.

Owned Fleet Chronology

SUSAN (1964 – 1968) LR/IMO No. 5169497
487g. 240n. 620d. 171’ 0” x 28’ 1” x 10’ 2½”
As built: 6-cyl. 4 SCSA (290 x 450mm) by Appingdammer Brons, Appingedam. 395bhp. 9.5kts
4.1970: 8-cyl. 4 SCSA. (222 x 292mm) by Mirlees Blackstone Ltd, Stamford. 660bhp. 10kts.
1.12.1956: Launched as JAN BRONS by N.V. Scheepsbouw- en Reparatiebedrijf Gebr. Sander in Delfzijl (Yard No. 203) for Rederij m.s. "Jan Brons" (Jan Bakker, F. Kuiper & Jan Fekkes) in Veendam.
22.2.1957: Completed, (E Wagenborg’s SV & EB, managers).
8.1959: Sold to Jan Bakker & F. Kuiper, Delfzijl.
11.3.1964: Whilst enroute from Londonderry to New Ross, stranded at Dunmore East near Waterford.
21.3.1964: Abandoned as a constructive total loss.
13.5.1964: Refloated and taken to Dublin for dry-dock inspection.
1964: Sold to George Bell (Chartering) Ltd, Dublin, made seaworthy and towed to Glasson Dock for repair by I Jackson & Sons Ltd, which included major re-plating of starboard side.
1964: Renamed SUSAN.
.1968: Sold to V. Nolan Ltd.
10.1969: Sold to G.E. Gray & Sons Ltd., Rochester.
3.1973: Sold to Downlands Shipping Inc. (Thomas Watson Shipping Ltd, managers), under Liberia flag.
22.11.1973: Whilst on a voyage from Ipswich with general cargo for Gibraltar struck an underwater object and was beached at 37.55N., 8.48W., near Gibraltar.
20.12.1973: Broke up during a storm.

BELL CONCORD (1967 – 1969) LR/IMO No. 5017632
As Built: 806g. 421n. 1,197d. 210’ 0” x 32’ 1” x 13’ 3”
1989: 398g. 231n. 1,216d. 64.1 x 9.78 x 5.39 (4.04 dt) metres
7-cyl. 2 SCSA (330 x 600mm) by Werkspoor NV, Amsterdam. 755bhp. 10½ kts.
Circa 1981: 6-cyl. 4 SCSA (350 x 500mm) Skoda 6L35011PN type by CKD Praha, Praha. 980bhp.
28.3.1953: Launched as WANSBECK by G & H Bodewes, Martinshoek (Yard No. 400) for Wansbeck Shipping Co. Ltd, Newcastle.
5.1953: Completed.
1961: Sold to Highseas Ltd, (Antony & Bainbridge Ltd, managers), Newcastle and renamed ANGLOBEL.
1967: Sold to Concord Shipping Co. Ltd, Dublin and renamed BELL CONCORD. (O.N. 400557).
1969: Sold to Ajax Shipping Co. Ltd. Cyprus and renamed CONCORD.
1970: Sold to Propellor Shipping Co. Ltd, Cyprus and renamed BLUE CALYPSO.
1973: Sold to Pibanko Shipping Co, Ltd, Cyprus and renamed ANNAPI.
1975: Sold to Ikariaki Maritime Co, Cyprus and renamed IKARIAN SEA.
1979: Sold to Hatziioannou Bros, Greece and renamed GEORGIOS H.
1985: Sold to Epos Maritime Co, Greece and renamed AGHIOS MAKARIOS.
1989: Sold to Ahmen Ali Ossman & Co, and renamed FATIMA, under Honduras flag.
1989: Renamed MARINA IV under Greek flag.
1997: Renamed KAMAR under Syrian flag.
11.1999: Renamed MAYA.
2002: Sold to unidentified owners and renamed DOU DOU, under Sao Tome & Principe flag.
2003: Entry deleted from Lloyd’s Register as “continued existence in doubt”.

BELL COMBAT (1969) LR/IMO No. 5313048
1,274g. 686n. 1,670d. 247’ 0” x 36’ 0” x 13’ 8”
10-cyl. 2 SCSA (350 x 550mm) by Waggon & Maschinenbau AG, Hamburg. 1,600bhp. 14 kts.
29.8.1953: Launched as SANTIAGO by Brugeoise, Bruge (Yard No. c25) for Armement L. Hermans SA, Belgium.
3.1954: Completed.
1966: Sold to J. Rainey (Enterprises) Ltd, Larne and renamed KATHAR.
1968: Owner bankrupt and vessel laid up for sale at Londonderry.
1969: Sold to George Bell (Chartering) Ltd, and renamed BELL COMBAT.
1969: Sold to Propeller Shipping Company Ltd, Cyprus and renamed APOLLO.
29.9.1971: Wrecked at a position 57.41N., 6.26W.

BELL CAVALIER (1975 – 1978) LR/IMO No. 6919851
T/mk 500g. 336n. 1,329d. 248’ 4” x 36’ 1” x 11’ 7½”overall.
Post 1994: 1,285g. 642n. 1,298d.
8-Cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (320 x 480mm) MWM TDB484-8U type by Motorenwerke Mannheim A.G. (MWM), Mannheim. 1,400bhp. 12.5 kts.
4.12.1968: Keel laid as GEERTIEN BOS by Scheepswerf “Hoogezand” J. Bodewes, Bergum (Yard No.152) for Partenreederei Geertien Bos (Johannes Bos, manager) W.Germany.
29.4.1969: Launched.
26.6.1969: Completed as VALDES Partenreederei m.s. “Valdes” (Johannes Bos., manager), W. Germany, for charter to MacAndrews & Company Ltd. 1972: Sold to Mare Schiffahrtskontor GmbH, & Company K.G., W. Germany.
1973: Horst Zeppenfeld, manager, Austria, and renamed BELL CAVALIER.
1974: Sold to Partenreederei m.s. “Valdes” (same manager), W. Germany, and renamed VALDES.
1.1975: Sold to Bellferry Ltd., Republic of Ireland, (Comben Longstaff & Company Ltd, managers) and renamed BELL CAVALIER.
6.1976: Removed from management.
1978: Sold to Minicarriers Ab., (Godby Shipping, managers), Finland, and renamed MINITRANS.
1986: Sold to KS AS Aasen Shipping (H. M. Torkelsen, manager), Norway, and renamed AASLAND.
1994: Tonnages re-measured. 1995: Owners restyled as Aasen Transport AS.
14.7.1995: Whilst on a voyage from Kalundborg to Koge with fly ash, collided in dense fog with the Swedish car transporter POM KARIN (2,531g/70) off Asnaesvaerkets Havn and sank.
29.7.1995: Wreck lifted by sheerlergs pontoon crane and brought alongside at Asnaesvaerkets where temporary repairs were done. Declared a constructive total loss her owners bought her from the underwriters.
5.9.1995: Departed in tow for Haugesund where she was subsequently repaired, including major work on enlarging her superstructure..
1.1996: Returned to service.
2001: Aesen Shipping Ltd, appointed as managers.
5.2005: Sold to Taylor & Taylor Ltd, Troon and renamed RED DUCHESS.
1.2009: Sold to Coast Lines Shipping Ltd, Cork.
4.2011: Sold to Dick Van der Kamp Shipsales BV, Netherlands.
10.2011: PCS inspected.
1.2013: Disclassed by Bureau Veritas
6.2014: Sold to Trans Pacific Trader Shipping, under Panama flag.
8.2015: Still on Sea Web

BELL RANGER (1976 - 1978) LR/IMO No. 7613442
As built: 499g. 300n. 1,555d. 79.58 x 13.54 x 6.81 (3.771 dt) metres as open shelterdeck
1,593g. 992n. 2,213d. 79.58 x 13.54 x 6.81 (4.811 dt) metres as closed shelterdeck
Post 1982: 1,984g. 1,279n. 3,386d. 92.80 x 13.50 x
Post 1994: 2,213g. 1,254n. 3,340d. 92.92 x 13.54 x 6.81 (5.249 dt) metres
6-cyl. 4 SCSA (320 x 420mm) MaK 6M453AK type by MaK Maschinenbau GmbH, Kiel, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 2,101bhp. 13.75kts.
23.8.1976: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 95).
29.9.1976: Launched.
24.12.1976: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd, (Horst Zeppenfeld), Dublin. (O.N. 401681).
1977: Bell Group appointed as managers,
1978: Sold to Erich Johannes Hanisch, and to W. German flag.
1979:Sold to Erich Hanisch Schiffahrtges m.b.H. & Co. KG.
12.3.1980: During a voyage from Newport to Havre, anchored off St.Ives with main engine problems. Resumed voyage later.
1982: Lengthened.
15.3.1992: Whilst on a voyage from Europoort to Teesport suffered main engine failure and was towed back to Rozenburg.
16.3.1992: Resumed voyage.
1994: Swift Navigation Co. Ltd., (Voght & Maguire Ltd, London).
1996: Sold to Royal Agencies Corp, Panama and renamed ALS under Cyprus flag.
1996: Sold to Perma Line SA, Panama (Simatech Shipping & Forwarding, UAE, managers) PERMA GLORY, under Panama flag.
2004: Sold to Al Mataf Shipping LLC, United Arab Emirates and renamed IRAN GLORY
2004: Renamed MATAF STAR.
2005: Sold to Bahregan Marine Services Co, Iran.
2007: Sold to Al Mataf Shipping LLC,
2013: Sold to Mahan Oghyanous Co, Iran (Ocean Blue Waves Industrial Group Co, Tehran, managers) and renamed MOSHREF.

BELL ROVER (1976 - 1993) LR/IMO No. 7613430
As built: 499g. 300n. 1,555d. 79.58 x 13.54 x 6.81 (3.771 dt) metres
1,593g. 992n. 2,213d. 79.58 x 13.54 x 6.81 (4.811 dt) metres
Post 1993: 1,839g. 837n. 2,213d.
6-cyl. 4 SCSA (320 x 420mm) MaK 6M453AK type by MaK Maschinenbau GmbH, Kiel, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 2,101bhp. 13.75kts.
7.9.1976: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No.94) for C. Connell & Co, Glasgow.
3.11.1976: Launched.
31.12.1976: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd, (Horst Zeppenfeld), Dublin. (O.N. 401680).
1977: Bell Group appointed as managers.
15.12.1979:Suffered main engine failure and at 10:00hrs GMT, reported as adrift at position 51.07.30N., 06.13.00W. Subsequently arrived under tow at Milford Haven. Departed later following repairs.
1989: Denholm Management Holdings, appointed as controlling manager.
1991: Sold to Bell Ship Management Ltd, Dublin.
1991: Sold to Euro Container Shipping plc.
1993: Sold to Zhong Yan Maritime SA, (Chiu Lun Container Transportation, managers) and renamed LING FENG, under Panama flag.
1998: Sold to Yong Zhao International Shipping SA, Panama and renamed HAI LIN FANG then HAI DE LI

BELL RACER (1977 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 7613428
As built: 499g. 300n. 1,581d. 80.02 x 13.54 x 6.81 (3.315 dt) metres
1,593g. 992n. 2,213d. 80.02 x 13.54 x 6.81 (4.811 dt) metres
Post 1984: 1,936g. 1,248n. 3,342d. 92.0 x 13.61 x 6.51 (5.234 dt) metres
Post 1994: 2,213g. 1,254n. 3,342d.
25.10.1976: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 93).
9.1.1977: Launched.
3.1977: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd, (Bell Group, managers), Dublin. (O.N. 401682).
20.7.1982: Whilst on a voyage fro Rotterdam to Ireland, suffered main engine failure and arrived at Fort Gilkicker under to, enroute for Southampton. Repaired and returned to service.
26.8.1982: Whilst on a voyage from Newport to Waterford, suffered main engine failure and towed to Swansea for repairs.
27.8.1982: Resumed voyage.
11.9.1982: Whilst on a voyage from Rotterdam for Teesport, suffered main engine failure and anchored off Mid-Haisbro’ Buoy.
12.9.1982: Arrived Felixstowe at 21:30hrs in tow of tug GANGES.
15.9.1982: Resumed voyage to Teesport.
1984 Lengthened.
9.8.1984: While bound for Cork, suffered main engine failure 5.7 miles off the Breaksea Light-ship. Towed to Cobh, for repairs.
1991: Sold to Euro Container Shipping plc, Dublin.
1996: Sold to Taigro Ltd, Dublin.
1997: Sold to Blue Sky 1 Maritime Ltd, (Seasonwell International Ltd, Hong Kong, managers) and renamed BLUE SKY I under St.Vincent & The Grenadines flag.
1998: To Chinese flag.
2000: Renamed ZHEN YU.
2000: Sold to Xin Chang Shipping Ltd, St.Vincent & The Grenadines and renamed XIN CHANG, under Cambodia flag.
2003: Flag unknown.
4.7.2012: SeaWeb entry flagged as “Continued existence in doubt”.

BELL RULER (1977 - 1979) and (1991 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 7613454
Post 1984: 1,936g. 1,248n. 3,342d. 92.00 x 13.61 x 6.51 (5.234 dt) metres
Post 1994: 2,213g. 1,254n. 3,342d. 92.03 x 13.54 x 6.81 (5.234 dt) metres.
6-cyl. 4 SCSA (320 x 420mm) MaK 6M453AK type by MaK Maschinenbau GmbH, Kiel, geared to a controllable pitch propeller l. 2,101bhp. 13.75kts.
9.12.1976: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 96).
8.3.1977: Launched.
30.4.1977: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd, (Bell Group, managers), Dublin. (O.N. 401683).
1979: Sold to James Fisher & Sons plc, Barrow in Furness.
1984: Lengthened.
1.11.1990: Whilst of a voyage from Newport to Waterford, suffered main engine failure and anchored 3 miles S.S.W. of Scarweather Buoy, Bristol Channel.
2.11.1990: Arrived under tow at Newport, Gwent.
29.11.1990: Returned to service following repairs.
30.11.1996: Whilst on a voyage from Mantyluoto to Singapore, arrived under tow at Vigo, having suffered main engine failure.
1.2.1997: Resumed voyage following repairs.
1997: Blue Sky 2 Maritime Ltd (Seasonwell International Co. Ltd, Hong Kong, managers), and renamed BLUE SKY 2, under St. Vincent & the Grenadines flag.
3.1998: PSC inspection – detained..
1.1.1999: Reported as to be broken up at Xinhui but continued in service.
4.2001: Shantou Desheng Shipping Co. Ltd, and renamed HAI XIANG TONG under Belize flag.
2003: To China flag.
6.2015: SeaWeb states “In service/commission”.

BELL RAIDER (1977 - 1979) LR/IMO No. 7709356
As built: 499g. 300n. 1,581d. 80.02 x 13.54 x 6.81 (3.315 dt) metres
1,593g. 992n. 2,213d. 80.02 x 13.54 x 6.81 (4.811 dt) metres
Post 1994: 1,843g. 832n. 2,213d. 80.0 x 13.73 x 6.81 (4.61 dt) metres
11.7.1977: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 114).
2.9.1977: Launched.
1.12.1977: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd, (Bell Group, managers), Dublin. (O.N. 401687).
27.3.1978: Whilst in heavy weather off Duncannon, on a voyage from Newport to Waterford, struck a floating object and suffered holing in her bow and was beached in Waterford Harbour to prevent sinking. Repaired and refloated.
30.3.1978: Re-entered service.
1988: Sold to Airmores Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta (Melfi Marine Corp SA, Panama, managers) and renamed LAURA under Malta flag.
1994: Sold to Naviera Polovina SA (same managers) and renamed LAURA I under Panama flag..
21.12.2001: Arrived for demolition at Bahia Honda, Cuba

BELL REBEL (1977 - 1979) LR/IMO No. 7709368
Post 1994: 1,843g. 832n. 2,160d. 79.71 x 13.73 x 6.81 (4.61 dt) metres
1.9.1977: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 115).
29.10.1977: Launched .
26.12.1977: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd, (Bell Group, managers), Dublin. (O.N. 401688).
17.12.1986: Whilst on a voyage from Teesport to Europoort, suffered main engine failure and diverted to Grimsby.
18.12.1986: Resumed voyage.
1988: Sold to Airmores Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta (Melfi Marine Corp SA, Panama, managers and renamed ESTRELLA.
1991: Sold to Alcalufes Navigation Co.Ltd, Malta (same managers).
1994: Sold to Boyar Shipping Co. SA, Panama (same managers) and renamed ESTRELLA I under Panama flag.
26.1.2002: Arrived for demolition at Bahia Honda, Cuba

BELL RIVAL (1978 - 1982) LR/IMO No. 7709370
As built: 499g. 300n. 1,581d. 79.58 x 13.54 x 6.81 (3.771 dt) metres
Post 1994: 1,792g. 956n. 2,160d. 75.6 (BB) x 13.59 x 6.81 (4.55 dt) metres
2.11.1977: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 116).
27.12.1977: Launched.
24.2.1978: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd, (Bell Group, managers), Dublin. (O.N. 401689)
1982: Sold to Maretainer Eggers Schiffahrts KG, Hamburg and renamed MARETAINER, under Panama flag.
1985: Sold to AS Nevi, Kristiansand, Norway and renamed LYNETTE
1986: Renamed ZIPPORA and re-registered at Haugesund.
1988: Sold to Conto AS, (Paal Wilson Management AS, managers), and renamed CONTO
1988: Renenamed SCOTT CHALLENGER
1990: Owner restyled as Conto Shipping Ltd, (same managers), under Malta flag.
1991: Sold to Coral Queen Shipping Co Ltd Cyprus and renamed ISLAND.
1992: Sold to Hua Tung Maritime Inc, Liberia (Wah Tung Shipping Agency Co. Ltd, Hong Kong, managers), and renamed FAREAST FAIR, under St.Vincent & The Grenadines flag.
1999: Far East Enterprising Inc, Hong Kong, managers.
2006: Sold to Shantou Shunhai Shipping Co. Ltd, (Guangshou Eagle Ocean International Shipmanagement Co. Ltd, managers), China and renamed LONG TAI I, under Panama flag.
2008: Sold to Sea Wide Shipping Company Ltd, Hong Kong, (Ocean Grow International Ship Management Consultant Corp, Taipei, managers) and renamed HAI FU, retaining Panama flag.

BELL RENOWN (1978 - 1979) and (1991) LR/IMO No. 7709382
As built: 499g. 300n. 1,581d. 75.60 x 13.54 x 6.81 (3.315 dt) metres
1,593g. 992n. 2,213d. 75.60 x 13.54 x 6.81 (4.611 dt) metres
Post 1995: 1,843g. 832n. 2,160d. 79.71 x 13.89 x 6.81 (4.609 dt) metres,
22.12.1977: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 117).
25.2.1978: Launched .
24.4.1978: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd. (Bell Group, managers), Dublin. (O.N. 401811).
20.12.1983: Whilst on a voyage in heavy weather from Europoort to Waterford, suffered a chemical leak within her cargo. Anchored one mile east of St. Helen’s Fort, east Solent. Two crew evacuated due to effects of gases.
20.12.1983: Diverted and berthed at Southampton.
21.12.1983: Following examination was cleared to resume voyage.
1991: Sold to Alcalufes Navigation Co. Ltd, Malta and renamed OLA, under Malta flag.
1994: Sold to Naviera Vestavia SA, Panama (Melfi Marine Corp SA, Panama, managers), under Panama flag.
2002: Sold to Naviera Latino Americana SA, Nicaragua.
9.1.2006: Whilst on a ballast voyage from Nuevitas to Havana, at 20:15hrs LT, suffered failure of No.1 cylinder head in main engine and anchored in heavy weather for repairs. Anchor dragged and crew removed by shore based coastguard team. 10.1.2006: At 03:20 hrs LT, driven ashore and stranded at Punta Goleta, Gibara, Cuba at 21.07N., 76.07W. Subsequently, bunker fuel removed and wreck abandoned in situ.

BELL RESOLVE (1978 - 1979) and (1991 – 1993) LR/IMO No. 7709394
Post 1998: 1,594g. 966n. 2,159d. 79.71 x 13.54 x 6.81 (4.61 dt) metres
23.1.1978: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 118).
27.3.1978: Launched..
23.6.1978: Completed for Bell Line Ltd, (Bell Group, managers), Dublin. (O.N. 401813).
1979: James Fisher & Sons plc, Barrow in Furness.
1993: Sold to Fareast Brilliant Shipping Co. Ltd, St.Vincent & The Grenadines, and renamed FAREAST BRILLIANT.
1995: Sold to China Government, Fujian Province and renamed HUA JIE.
2008: Sold to Pioneer Group (Hong Kong) Ltd, (Ocean Grow International Ship Management Consultant Corp, Taipei, managers) and renamed HAI YOU, under Panama flag.
2010: Sold to Hontix International Ltd, Hong Kong and renamed OCEAN WIN, retaining Panama flag.
2011: Sold to Vision Shipping Ltd, Hong Kong, retaining Panama flag.

BELL RELIANT (1978 – 1979) and (1991) LR/IMO No. 7709409
Post 1995: 1,843g. 832n. 2,160d. 79.71 x 13.89 x 6.81 (4.611 dt) metres,
23.2.1978: Keel laid by Kagoshima Dock & Ironworks KK, Kagoshima (Yard No. 119).
25.4.1978: Launched.
25.8.1978: Completed for Bell Lines Ltd, Dublin.
1979: James Fisher & Sons plc, Barrow in Furness.
9.2.1985: Whilst on a voyage from Radicatel to Teesport, suffered main engine failure and anchored at 04:38hrs. Later towed to Teesport for discharge then to Tyneside for inspection. Later returned to service.
15.1.1986: Stranded in Waterford Harbour resultant from steering motor solenoid failure. Refloated unaided, repaired and resume voyage.
6.1.1991: Whilst on a voyage in heavy weather from Europoort to Waterford suffered rudder damage.Adrift at position 52.06N., 05.45 E. Towed to Rotterdam for survey and repair
1991: Sold to Alcalufes Navigation Co. Ltd, Malta and renamed ERIZO, under Malta flag.
1994: Sold to Doral Shipping Co. SA, Panama (Melfi Marine Corp SA, Panama, managers), under Panama flag
21.12.2001: Arrived for demolition at Bahia Honda, Cuba.

BELL PIONEER (1990 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 8907668
6,111g. 2,107n. 5,100d. 114.5 (BB) x 18.92 x 10.52 (5.917 dt) metres
8-cyl. 4 SCSA (320 x 350mm) Wartsila 8R32E type by Wartsila Diesel OY, Finland, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 4,459bhp. 14.5 kts. Two, 340bhp thwartship thrust propellers forward.
10.10.1989: Keel laid by Teraoka Shipyard Co.Ltd, Minamiawaji HG, Japan (Yard No. 288), for Bell Ship Management Ltd, Dublin.
11.5.1990: Launched.
14.8.1990: Completed
1997: Placed in lay-up.
1997: Sold to Brightstone Shipping Shipping Co. Ltd, Cyprus (Pacific & Atlantic Corp, Athens, managers) and renamed ULTRA CONTSHIP, under Cyprus flag.
1998: Renamed ASHDOD EXPRESS.
1998: Sold to Container Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta (same managers) and renamed MF RANGER under Malta flag.
2000: Renamed ULTRA CONTAINER.
2001: Sold to Tropic Sea Co. Ltd, Malta (same managers) and renamed ZIM NOVOROSSIYSK I.
2001: Renamed ULTRA CONTAINER.
2002: P&A Maritime Inc, Athens, appointed as managers.
2002: Renamed NILE EXPRESS.
2003: Renamed ULTRA CONTAINER.
2003: Renamed MED POWER.
2004: Renamed ULTRA CONTAINER.
2004: Sold to Talita Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta (Arkas Konteyner Tasimacilik AS, Istanbul, managers) and renamed ALCIONE.
2004: Spianada Shipmanagement Co, Piraeus, appointed as managers.
2009: Sold to United Group Shipping Company, Alexandria, (Mahoney Shipping & Marine Services, Alexandria, managers) and renamed EGY GROUP under Egypt flag.
5.2014: To Tanzania flag for final voyage.
21.5.2014: Arrived at Aliaga for demolition by Ege Celik Gemi Sokum AS

BELL POWER /
EURO POWER (1992 - 1993) LR/IMO No. 9040120
OOCL SHANGHAI (1993 - 1994)
EURO POWER (1994 - 1996)
6,455g. 1,936n. 5,334d. 118.0 (BB) x 17.16 x 12.52 (7.52 dt) metres
9-cyl. 4 SCSA (320 x 350mm) Wartsila 9R32E type by Wartsila Diesel OY, Finland, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 4,068bhp. 14 kts. Two, 340bhp thwartship thrust propellers forward.
26.11.1991: Keel laid as BELL POWER by Teraoka Shipyard Co. Ltd, Minamiawaji HG, Japan (Yard No. 298) for Bell Ship Management Ltd, Dublin
22.6.1992: Launched as EURO POWER for Euro Container Shipping plc, Dublin.
28.9.1992: Completed.
1993: Renamed OOCL SHANGHAI.
1994: Reverted to EURO POWER.
1997: Sold to Powercon Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta (V Ships Monaco SAM, Monaco, managers), and to Malta flag.
2001: Gemini Shipmanagemant Ltd, Isle of Man, appointed as managers.
2004: Sold to Road To Sea (Malta) Ltd, Sliema, (Maritime Services International (Malta) Ltd, managers).
2006: Sold to Maltese Sky Maritime Co. Ltd, (Doris Maritime Services SA, Switzerland, managers).
2007: Sold to Ebony Shipping BV, Amsterdam (Naess Ship Management BV, Diemen, managers).
2011: Sold to Terezona Shipping Co. Ltd, Cyprus (Northern River Shipping Lines, Russia, managers) and renamed DUBAI FORTUNE, under Cyprus flag.
2011: Gulfruss Shipping Co. Ltd, Dubai, UAE, appointed as managers.

Bell Group Known Chartered Vessels

Name and period only given for chronology reference.

CLONLEE (1965 - 1972) LR/IMO No. 5057711
BELL VANGUARD (1966 - 1977) LR/IMO No. 6611772
BELL VENTURE (1967 - 1977) LR/IMO No. 6708678
BELL VALIANT (1967 - 1977) LR/IMO No. 6711778
BELL VICTOR (1967 - 1977) LR/IMO No. 6805165
BELL VISION (1969 - 1971) LR/IMO No. 7002473
BELL VIGILANT (1970 - 1978) LR/IMO No. 7017442
BELL VIGOUR (1970 - 1978) LR/IMO No. 7027758
BELL VIRTUE (1971 - 1973) LR/IMO No. 7120378
BELL CRUSADER (1971 - 1976) LR/IMO No. 5114600
BELL VOLUNTEER (1971 - 1972) LR/IMO No. 6805282
BELL CAVALIER (1973 - 1974) LR/IMO No. 6919851 see Bellferry Ltd section above
BELL VOYAGER (1973 - 1979) LR/IMO No. 7324871
NORDBALT (1973 - 1977) LR/IMO No. 7104934
BELL CONSORT (1973 proposed) LR/IMO No. 7028441
BELL CHAMPION (1974 - 1975) LR/IMO No. 7028453
BELL CHIEFTAIN (1974 - 1975) LR/IMO No. 7035432
BELL VANTAGE (1974 - 1978) LR/IMO No. 7361661
BOMBERG (1976 - 1977) LR/IMO No. 7120720
MARGRET (1976 - 1978) LR/IMO No. 7117503
ISAR (1976 - 1977) LR/IMO No. 6915609
BELL VARIANT (1977 - 1978) LR/IMO No. 7615036
ESTE (1978 - 1979) LR/IMO No. 7711892
BERND BECKER (1978 – xxxx) LR/IMO No. 6711778
BELL RANGER (1978 - 1994) LR/IMO No. 7613442 see Bell Line Ltd section above.
BELL RAIDER (1979 - 1988) LR/IMO No. 7709356 see Bell Line Ltd section above.
BELL REBEL (1979 - 1988) LR/IMO No. 7709368 see Bell Line Ltd section above.
BELL RELIANT (1979 - 1991) LR/IMO No. 7709409 see Bell Line Ltd section above.
BELL RESOLVE (1979 - 1991) LR/IMO No. 7709394 see Bell Line Ltd section above.
BELL RENOWN (1979 - 1991) LR/IMO No. 7709382 see Bell Line Ltd section above.
BELL RULER (1979 - 1991) LR/IMO No. 7613454 see Bell Line Ltd section above.
ANNA BECKER /
RENDSBURG (1979 - 1984) LR/IMO No. 7349895
BELL COMET (1981 - 1985) LR/IMO No. 6729945
BELL CLIPPER (1981 - 1984) LR/IMO No. 7610775
JONNY H (198x - 198x) LR/IMO No. 6805165
ACHAT (198x - 198x) LR/IMO No. 7361764
JACOB BECKER (19xx - 19xx) LR/IMO No. 7528506
ROSITA MARIA (19xx - 19xx) LR/IMO No. 7605873
HOLGER (1987 - 1989) LR/IMO No. 7703261
SATURNUS (198x - 19xx) LR/IMO No. 8215792
NEPTUNUS (198x - 19xx) LR/IMO No. 8215807
BELL SWIFT (1991 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 7508271
ANGELA JURGENS /
INISHOWEN (1992 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 8815293
JANA (199x - 199x) LR/IMO No. 8919790
OTTO BECKER (199x - 199x) LR/IMO No. 8818879
JAN KAHRS (199x - 199x) LR/IMO No. 8815308
JAN BECKER (199x - 199x) LR/IMO No. 8707771
AMAZONE (199x - 199x) LR/IMO No. 8703256
LIMBURG (1995) LR/IMO No. 9110535
MARBURG (1995 - 1996) LR/IMO No. 9110547
BELL ADY (1995 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 9107382
ARKLOW CASTLE (1996 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 9141106
BELL ASTRON (1996 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 9107394
GERDIA (1996) LR/IMO No. 9083902
URANUS (199x - 1997) LR/IMO No. 9053919
BELL ATLAS (1996 - 1997) LR/IMO No. 9110559
BIRGIT JURGENS (199x – 1996) LR/IMO No. 9067582
ANTJE JURGENS (1996 – 1997) LR/IMO No. 9123324

Last edited by BillH; 2nd November 2016 at 18:53..
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:40
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

I will be at local Shipbrokers Dinner later this month with former Commercial Manager of Teesport Terminal...I will show him this,given chance, and will revert if any comments...
Well done.

geoff
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:15

Certainly seem to have suffered plenty of main engine failures on these vessels.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:47

Teesport in the early years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.2 KB, 47 views)

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:30

[QUOTE=BillH;2237665]

Bell Lines Ltd

>>Driving force, George Holloway, who had developed the company since acquiring control in the mid-1960’s,

I am a little late to the party, I realise. You mention George Hollowey as the driving force. I am pretty sure this should, in fact, be the late Lt.Col. J.B. Hollwey (note difference in spelling) of Carrickmines. He was also the Chairman of the Commissioners of Irish Lights and in that capacity was very well known to my late father who was Secretary at the time. I was very well acquainted with the Hollwey family and a frequent visitor to their house Eski Shehr in Carrickmines before they sadly passed away and so am as confident as I can be that this is correct.
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:59

[quote=Culraid;2746281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post

Bell Lines Ltd

>>Driving force, George Holloway, who had developed the company since acquiring control in the mid-1960’s,

I am a little late to the party, I realise. You mention George Hollowey as the driving force. I am pretty sure this should, in fact, be the late Lt.Col. J.B. Hollwey (note difference in spelling) of Carrickmines. He was also the Chairman of the Commissioners of Irish Lights and in that capacity was very well known to my late father who was Secretary at the time. I was very well acquainted with the Hollwey family and a frequent visitor to their house Eski Shehr in Carrickmines before they sadly passed away and so am as confident as I can be that this is correct.
The name George Holloway is quoted also in the book "Out Of Arklow" by Danny O'Neill, on page 143.

Hopefully the following link to Google Books will work

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...dublin&f=false
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:32

I knew the man and sat with him at the Second Bell Tees Berth Opening, he was George Holloway....Mo Mowlam,lovely lady, did the honours I seem to remember.

geoff
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:49

Geoff,

Many thanks for the confirmation of the name

Bill
Old 3rd January 2018, 17:01

Interesting (hello to both of you!) and I am struggling to find some online sources to confirm his (Col. Hollwey's, that is) connection with Bell Lines as of course all this was pre Internet days.

However Jennifer Guinness's obituary in Afloat.ie (Jan 2016) states:

>> She was of a very maritime family - her father Colonel J B Hollwey was a leading figure in Dublin Bay sailing and also a noted pioneer in shipping, with his company Bell Lines being in the forefront of the international development of containerisation.

So I am thinking that both men were involved with the company and the similarity of their surnames is coincidental.

Not sure if I can post a link to that obituary being a new member here but here goes:

https://afloat.ie/resources/marine-i...0Club?start=10
Old 3rd January 2018, 17:36

OK....professionally I am still in touch with several ex Bell Tees personnel....I will ask and revert.

geoff
Old 3rd January 2018, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culraid View Post
Interesting (hello to both of you!) and I am struggling to find some online sources to confirm his (Col. Hollwey's, that is) connection with Bell Lines as of course all this was pre Internet days.

However Jennifer Guinness's obituary in Afloat.ie (Jan 2016) states:

>> She was of a very maritime family - her father Colonel J B Hollwey was a leading figure in Dublin Bay sailing and also a noted pioneer in shipping, with his company Bell Lines being in the forefront of the international development of containerisation.

So I am thinking that both men were involved with the company and the similarity of their surnames is coincidental.

Not sure if I can post a link to that obituary being a new member here but here goes:

https://afloat.ie/resources/marine-i...0Club?start=10
I thought I recognised the name Col J B Hollwey. I did a book (1989) on Heyn's Head Line (Ulster Steamship Co) and during my research found also that the man was also involved with Palgrave, Murphy and Saostat & Continental Steamship Co. in which Heyn held shares.

Extract from book below

It was feared at the time however that the move would be the start of a progressive merger of the fleets by the Heyns, they being the majority shareholders and that the CITY names would eventually be registered under Head Line as were those of the earlier acquired LORD LINE. However that fear was never realised because part of the Heyns’ Head Line recovery plan was the disposal of Palgrave, Murphy shares to release urgently needed capital. This was achieved when Richard and Ivan Heyn both resigned their Directorships.
Their total shareholding of 502, together with 232 of those held by G. Heyn & Sons Ltd (around 73% of company stock) were sold to Captain Gordon and four other members of Palgrave, Murphy staff and to Colonel J. B. Hollwey who was appointed a Director of Palgrave, Murphy Ltd. By June 1933 all except Heyn’s remaining 10% holding in Palgrave, Murphy Ltd, was held in Dublin.
Meanwhile Hudig & Veder N.V. the Rotterdam agents for both Palgrave, Murphy Ltd., and Head Line Belfast, had taken advantage of an offer by the British Government who were offering inducements for overseas parties to establish British based subsidiaries. In March 1933 the Mountain Steamship Company Ltd was incorporated and registered at Belfast. One ship was purchased from the Dutch Parent’s fleet and renamed LURIGETHAN. This new Company was to play a part in Palgrave, Murphy’s history, at a time in the future.
With the return of control to Dublin, Palgrave, Murphy Ltd was reorganised wherein it was decided to create a new company to operate the fleet and for which Palgrave, Murphy Ltd would act as agents.
To that end, the Saorstat & Continental Steamship Company Limited (Coy No.8667) was on 25th April 1934, incorporated at Dublin to take control of the CITY LINE fleet. It had a registered capital of £430 (43 x £10 shares) of which forty-one were held by Colonel J.B. Hollwey - Director; one by Captain Alan S. Gordon – Director and one by Joseph O’Dowd – Company Secretary. (Saorstat = Freestate)
At this time Palgrave, Murphy’s trade agreements with Head Line were terminated and with the sale by Head Line of three ships to the new company and the release of the three from charter, came the right of both parties to trade freely with their respective liner services between Hamburg, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp and Ghent, without any responsibility to the other.
Old 4th January 2018, 15:01

Col Hollwey is seated second left in this photo taken on board the ILT Granuaille, late 70s/early 80s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Col. Hollwey.jpg (444.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 4th January 2018, 15:13

Quote:
I thought I recognised the name Col J B Hollwey. I did a book (1989) on Heyn's Head Line (Ulster Steamship Co) and during my research found also that the man was also involved with Palgrave, Murphy and Saostat & Continental Steamship Co. in which Heyn held shares.

Extract from book below

It was feared at the time however that the move would be the start of a progressive merger of the fleets by the Heyns, they being the majority shareholders and that the CITY names would eventually be registered under Head Line as were those of the earlier acquired LORD LINE. However that fear was never realised because part of the Heyns’ Head Line recovery plan was the disposal of Palgrave, Murphy shares to release urgently needed capital. This was achieved when Richard and Ivan Heyn both resigned their Directorships.
Their total shareholding of 502, together with 232 of those held by G. Heyn & Sons Ltd (around 73% of company stock) were sold to Captain Gordon and four other members of Palgrave, Murphy staff and to Colonel J. B. Hollwey who was appointed a Director of Palgrave, Murphy Ltd. By June 1933 all except Heyn’s remaining 10% holding in Palgrave, Murphy Ltd, was held in Dublin.
Meanwhile Hudig & Veder N.V. the Rotterdam agents for both Palgrave, Murphy Ltd., and Head Line Belfast, had taken advantage of an offer by the British Government who were offering inducements for overseas parties to establish British based subsidiaries. In March 1933 the Mountain Steamship Company Ltd was incorporated and registered at Belfast. One ship was purchased from the Dutch Parent’s fleet and renamed LURIGETHAN. This new Company was to play a part in Palgrave, Murphy’s history, at a time in the future.
With the return of control to Dublin, Palgrave, Murphy Ltd was reorganised wherein it was decided to create a new company to operate the fleet and for which Palgrave, Murphy Ltd would act as agents.
To that end, the Saorstat & Continental Steamship Company Limited (Coy No.8667) was on 25th April 1934, incorporated at Dublin to take control of the CITY LINE fleet. It had a registered capital of £430 (43 x £10 shares) of which forty-one were held by Colonel J.B. Hollwey - Director; one by Captain Alan S. Gordon – Director and one by Joseph O’Dowd – Company Secretary. (Saorstat = Freestate)
At this time Palgrave, Murphy’s trade agreements with Head Line were terminated and with the sale by Head Line of three ships to the new company and the release of the three from charter, came the right of both parties to trade freely with their respective liner services between Hamburg, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp and Ghent, without any responsibility to the other.
That is very interesting and news to me; although I'm approaching pensionable age, the thirties is a bit before my time ! It would be fair to say that Saorstat & Continental was 'his line' evidently. I wonder how he progressed from there to Bell. Could be a complicated story if the extract from your book is anything to go by. Thanks for posting that; most interesting
Old 4th January 2018, 15:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My friends in Bell Lines tell me that the open-hatch container ships were a bit of a problem in that they had a large GT which was not compensated for by any additional carrying capacity. (Perhaps a Naval Architect could comment). This strained financial resources and when the crane was blown over they were banjaxed.
Old 4th January 2018, 16:00

Quote:
That is very interesting and news to me; although I'm approaching pensionable age, the thirties is a bit before my time ! It would be fair to say that Saorstat & Continental was 'his line' evidently. I wonder how he progressed from there to Bell. Could be a complicated story if the extract from your book is anything to go by. Thanks for posting that; most interesting
Considering the military rank attained by the thirties, one could presume that he potentially was not a young man, let's say at least thirty ergo if that was correct then he would be early to mid-sixties IF and when he became involved with Bell Line.

My own feeling is that potentially someone has muddled the two men in the Bell context but may well stand corrected.
Old 4th January 2018, 16:08

Quote:
Considering the military rank attained by the thirties, one could presume that he potentially was not a young man, let's say at least thirty ergo if that was correct then he would be early to mid-sixties IF and when he became involved with Bell Line.

My own feeling is that potentially someone has muddled the two men in the Bell context but may well stand corrected.
He was born in 1895, served in WWI (Awarded an MC in France), came out as Major, promoted Lt-Col on being mobilised from the Reserve in 1939.
Old 4th January 2018, 16:50

I have asked the question and await the answer on identity......

geoff
Old 4th January 2018, 17:04

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
I have asked the question and await the answer on identity......

geoff
Nice one, Geoff; we await wise words from the old timers. One thing which is very annoying is that as a past Chairman he would have had a comprehensive obituary in Beam, the Irish Lights staff magazine and likely also in Flash, the Trinity House equivalent; however both C.I.L and Trinity House have revamped their websites recently and the on line archives of both publications are no longer available which is hugely irritating.
Old 4th January 2018, 17:25

I was quite close to these people for some years, my cousin was their crane manager, and commercially we used them for movements into Rotterdam. If the contact I have e-mailed for info doesn't respond then I can contact the former Customs Manager and also their Commercial Manager Teesport.so hopefully some 'gen' will flow...they are( or were) fellow Shipbrokers.

Have you ever seen the Harwich Port site? Some good pictures and information.

http://www.harwichanddovercourt.co.u...ps/bell-lines/

geoff
Old 4th January 2018, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post

Have you ever seen the Harwich Port site? Some good pictures and information.

http://www.harwichanddovercourt.co.u...ps/bell-lines/

geoff
Yes actually I came across it only yesterday when I was on a google quest on this subject. As you say it's a good site and I quickly found myself going down the rabbit hole there; was totally sidetracked reading about the SS Berlin Disaster. One click leads to another...
Old 5th January 2018, 18:43

Quote:
He was born in 1895, served in WWI (Awarded an MC in France), came out as Major, promoted Lt-Col on being mobilised from the Reserve in 1939.
We appear to have a slight anomaly as to when he became Lt Col. You state 1939, which is at odds with old Heyn Company papers which quoted him as Lt Col in 1935