BP Navigating Apprentices 1949 to 1985 database - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
01:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP Navigating Apprentices 1949 to 1985 database

User Tag List

Old 12th November 2013, 23:26

How the hell did I come up in conversation ? Good times. Never wanted to leave the Centaur and BP sent me home after 7 months. As Tim Coghlan said, "we were never boring"........
Old 13th November 2013, 04:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzylive78 View Post
How the hell did I come up in conversation ? Good times. Never wanted to leave the Centaur and BP sent me home after 7 months. As Tim Coghlan said, "we were never boring"........
Was recounting stories from time with BP, recall eventful runs ashore in Hamburg and great time at dry-dock in Falmouth. Can still see the look of consternation on the guys face who was stood next to me at the urinal in a pub in Falmouth as you struck up a conversation with him from Trap 2 with the door open
Old 13th November 2013, 20:44

Dear Graham. Many thanks for this great resource. Leo (Bill) Stevens R542808, Apprentice SS "Beecher Island" at South Shields 26.2.51 to TS "Stavros S Niarchos" at Aalesund 20.7.01 = 50 years.
Old 14th November 2013, 06:26
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Stevens View Post
Dear Graham. Many thanks for this great resource. Leo (Bill) Stevens R542808, Apprentice SS "Beecher Island" at South Shields 26.2.51 to TS "Stavros S Niarchos" at Aalesund 20.7.01 = 50 years.
Hi Leo,

Thanks for the comments, it has been a pleasure .

WEL Stevens ( from Lacock Abbey, where is that?), 'on leave' 21st Oct 1953

If you would like a copy send me an email

Graham
Old 14th November 2013, 17:11

Thanks again Graham. I would certainly like to receive a copy of what you have found. (Lacock Abbey is on the bank of the upper Bristol Avon in Wiltshire, SW England). I hope to contribute more in the course of time. Leo Stevens.
Old 14th November 2013, 19:13

Quote:
Thanks again Graham. I would certainly like to receive a copy of what you have found. (Lacock Abbey is on the bank of the upper Bristol Avon in Wiltshire, SW England). I hope to contribute more in the course of time. Leo Stevens.
Leo,
I tried to send you a shipsnostalgia email, but it was returned undeliverable, email me direct at [email protected]
Graham
Old 19th November 2013, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheddy View Post
Jim Irvine - I think we may have served together on the British Hazel during the early 1970's - I joined as 3/O in Mersin - Turkey and left five months later from Japan after a trip coasting around South Africa. The local Coasting Tanker was in a collision, and the Hazel filled in, plying between Durban, Port Elizabeth, East London then onwards to Aden and over to Japan. Happy memories.
I never sailed on the Hazel, so it couldn't have been there that our paths may have crossed. Apart from the Crusader and the Patrol, all my other ships were "Birdies"

Jim
Old 20th November 2013, 16:22

BTC Apprentices Database

Thanks Graham for the list. I sailed with S.A.N.(Stewart Anthony Nelson) LeFevre when he was Second Mate. I believe it was on the old "British Hope" (1924) Full ahead 9 knots. We had a bit of excitement ashore in New Orleans (1956?). Later I believe he was Superintendent of apprentices in Britannic House. Also on the list was my fellow apprentice Dave McPherson Lyall. I was Deck Apprentice from 1951 to 1953 on "Beecher Island", "Br. Bulldog", "Br. Isles", "Br. Union". No further discharge book entries for 1953/1954. Third Mate 1955 to 1958 on "Br. Ranger", "Br. Endurance", "Br. Hope", "Br. Soldier", "Br. Sailor". Second Mate 1958 to 1959 on "Br. Diplomat", "Br. Endurance", "Br. Reliance". On one of the above vessels I believe we had the first Engineer Cadets. Were you one of them? I remember one you may also know. His surname was Morter, who gained the nickname "Rigor". Hope this is of interest to others. Leo.
Old 20th November 2013, 19:47

Quote:
Thanks Graham for the list. I sailed with S.A.N.(Stewart Anthony Nelson) LeFevre when he was Second Mate. I believe it was on the old "British Hope" (1924) Full ahead 9 knots. We had a bit of excitement ashore in New Orleans (1956?). Later I believe he was Superintendent of apprentices in Britannic House. Also on the list was my fellow apprentice Dave McPherson Lyall. I was Deck Apprentice from 1951 to 1953 on "Beecher Island", "Br. Bulldog", "Br. Isles", "Br. Union". No further discharge book entries for 1953/1954. Third Mate 1955 to 1958 on "Br. Ranger", "Br. Endurance", "Br. Hope", "Br. Soldier", "Br. Sailor". Second Mate 1958 to 1959 on "Br. Diplomat", "Br. Endurance", "Br. Reliance". On one of the above vessels I believe we had the first Engineer Cadets. Were you one of them? I remember one you may also know. His surname was Morter, who gained the nickname "Rigor". Hope this is of interest to others. Leo.
Hi Leo,

Let me have some more details of your BP seatime.

The 'Morter' you mention was David Morter a 1954 intake Engineering Apprentice at Boton Tech, I have been in touch with him. I was 'one of them' however a 1955 intake,one year behind David.

Graham
Old 21st November 2013, 09:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Hi Graham. This, as they say, is a VERY long shot but here goes anyway! A few months after WW2 finished I moved with father and a 'new' mother, mine having been killed by a V1, to Wallington, Surrey UK. Went to Collingwood School for Boys and became friendly with a David Southon. Having both passed our 11+ in '51 we then went to Purley County Grammar School for Boys, which was actually in Old Coulsdon and not Purley as the name suggests. We were in different classes so made new friends and basically drifted apart. I chose a career at sea and started at 'King Teds' in '57. Have no idea what happened to him or even when he left PCGSFB. Fast forward several decades and was at a school reunion day. Talking to old classmates they said - after learning of my years at sea - 'think your pal David Southon went to sea as a deck cadet with BP tankers, did you know'? The answer was 'no I didn't', so after all this time would be interested to know if he did.
Old 21st November 2013, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
Hi Graham. This, as they say, is a VERY long shot but here goes anyway! A few months after WW2 finished I moved with father and a 'new' mother, mine having been killed by a V1, to Wallington, Surrey UK. Went to Collingwood School for Boys and became friendly with a David Southon. Having both passed our 11+ in '51 we then went to Purley County Grammar School for Boys, which was actually in Old Coulsdon and not Purley as the name suggests. We were in different classes so made new friends and basically drifted apart. I chose a career at sea and started at 'King Teds' in '57. Have no idea what happened to him or even when he left PCGSFB. Fast forward several decades and was at a school reunion day. Talking to old classmates they said - after learning of my years at sea - 'think your pal David Southon went to sea as a deck cadet with BP tankers, did you know'? The answer was 'no I didn't', so after all this time would be interested to know if he did.
Hi Graham,

How lucky can you get....#3273 in the Navigating Apprentice/Cadets listing, DJF Southon From Wallington I have a list of a few ships he sailed, first one British Ardour 10/56. I presumed he was a 1956 NA intake, last note I have on him is First Mates cert in 1962/63.

Unfortunately I have never come across him.

One of my old haunts years ago was Cheam area, some good friends.
Send me an email ,address in my profile.

Graham
Old 6th January 2014, 02:06
Department: Deck

Hello,

I would be interested in seeing the list, my cadetship started in 1978 on the Border Pele. Then onto the Tay, Esk, Resolution, Ivy, Trent, Hazel and then finishing up on the Hazel again in 1982. Before doing my 1st trip as 3/O on the Commodore.

Thanks
Robert Wilson
Old 6th January 2014, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipni View Post
Hello,

I would be interested in seeing the list, my cadetship started in 1978 on the Border Pele. Then onto the Tay, Esk, Resolution, Ivy, Trent, Hazel and then finishing up on the Hazel again in 1982. Before doing my 1st trip as 3/O on the Commodore.

Thanks
Robert Wilson
Hi Robert, ( RAW)

Nice to make contact with another ex BP Navigating Cadet (actually listed as Deck Cadet, but I prefer the older title)

You are there at # 3779 listing all those ships you mentioned and a couple more as 3M, Commodore 82, Test 85. I should also have some info on you between 1982/85 but have not yet managed to get back to examining those years.

Send me an email and I'll send you a copy of the list, it's 155 pages so cannot send it via SN

I guess I know quite a few guys you sailed with over those years starting with Frank Bennett 2E on Border Pele.

Graham
Old 15th March 2014, 23:41

I came across a list od BP Navigating Apprentices June 1949 just recently, about 80 names.

Quite interesting to see how many of them stayed with BP for a lifetime career ( not many)

Graham
Old 21st March 2014, 01:15

Hello

I was a Navigation Cadet with BP from 1974 to 1978 (I think!). Third mate for a couple of years then coast and offshore. Back again as Chief Officer with the Isle of Man crowd - for about a year only - around 1986?
Vine
Grenadier
Norness
Inventor
Border Pele
Gull - Labuan
Spey/Marun - name change
others?
BP Vision
Long time ago but I often think of those happy days!
Love to see a copy of your data base.
Best wishes!
Colin Mark
Old 8th April 2014, 14:21
Active: 1976 - Present

Hi I was a deck cadet with BP from 1976 to 1980
First trip was on the British Dart!
Cheers
Richard Booth
Old 8th April 2014, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Booth80 View Post
Hi I was a deck cadet with BP from 1976 to 1980
First trip was on the British Dart!
Cheers
Richard Booth
Hi Richard , Welcome to SN.I saw your thread in Hello section.

You are in the NA/NC database at # 559, I will send you an SN email.

Dart Oct 1976, CO Noel Brookes, JM Banfield DC, Phil Durrany 3E and a few more. Spirit 3M 1985!

Graham
Old 8th April 2014, 17:31

god they are names from the Past!

I remember Noel Brookes as I remember him writing that i was not interested in my chosen career in my record book.
Still in shipping 38 years later !!
Old 8th April 2014, 22:23
Active: 1974 - 1986

British Dart

I remember you Richard as a first trip DC,I was a first trip EC.Your fellow DC John Bamfield went under the sobriquet of fender belly if I'm not mistaken.Were you still on board when we spent Xmas in Yokohama at a ridiculous angle while a shore squad renewed the stern tube seal?
Old 9th April 2014, 12:42

Yes I was and had forgotten but do remember that nickname now!!

I seem to remember after the stern tube was fixed none of the the toilets would flush properly!!

I'm still up in the north east where are you now?
Old 9th April 2014, 13:31
Active: 1974 - 1986

I never moved away from the north east.As my user name suggests I live in Hartlepool.I left after the cull in 1986 and for the last 26 years I've been driving a desk in the water company control room based in Washington.I vaguely remember our paths did cross again but I can't remember which ship
Old 9th April 2014, 16:26

My location
Database

Hi Graham, can X EC's get access to the Deck apps database, I have two friends I would like to bump into that were BP cadets...

John
Old 9th April 2014, 17:17

I'm at Cockfield Knight part of AV Dawson in Middlesbrough!
Old 9th July 2014, 00:21
Active: 1972 - 1979

I have just made contact with Capt Stuart LeFevre, the captain in charge of deck cadet training when I started in 1972.

I was so pleased to learn that he is still alive and apparently very active running his local bowling club and a successful vineyard in the SW of England. I have good memories of him as I think most cadets of that period have.

nina
Old 10th July 2014, 00:02
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post

I was so pleased to learn that he is still alive and apparently very active running his local bowling club and a successful vineyard in the SW of England. I have good memories of him as I think most cadets of that period have.

nina
In Somerset though - wrong county!

I remember him very well - along with Brian Elliott

Last edited by derekhore; 10th July 2014 at 00:07..