Serco in Rotterdam? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
18:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Serco in Rotterdam?

User Tag List

Old 3rd January 2012, 12:04

It appears after talking to sources that Northern River is going to be a jack of all trades, not taking on a specific role but taking up many of the ad-hoc task that are contained within the contract.
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Roger, you were right regarding the tidal lift and horns although I remember Mike Cobbold and Alan Ching muttering something about the primary tidal lift capability being lifting wires over the waist or between the horns and over the stern for a fore and aft lift. The horns apparently being for lighter and not necessarily tidal lifts, but what do I know, I'm only simple sailor! I remember Hall Russel being very agitated and on tenterhooks when the bodily lifts were carried out in drydock, no sooner were the weights off the bottom then they were yelling to get them back down on the dock floor; obviously they had a lot of faith in their shipbuilding skills!

Ron, it was gratifying to know that the SALMOs did at least want AHT design for the new mooring vessels. I would always have supported that view if only for safety grounds of folk working on deck - crash barriers to stand behind etc.

Still at least Serco are going to use the new beastie for muti tasking.

Roo, I was told in 1986 that the SALs cost 12 to 15 million, although when I was in Bath a total figure of 20 million was bandied about. Ron might know better than me.
Old 3rd January 2012, 16:04

when details of Sercos new build plans were announced there was mention of 2 anchot handling types to be built in Abu Dhabi to replace the TRVs but they were not proceeded with.
Old 3rd January 2012, 16:25
Department: Navigation
Active: 1975 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofaerosyth View Post
it was often said that the mod could have saved a shed load of money back in the 80s by buying a few o these offshore vessels instead of paying over the odds to build 3 new mooring boats at however many millions it cost at the time.(cant remember the exact figure but it wasnt cheap).they could have purchased a few o these at a fraction o the price.second hand of course.makes me wonder how much northern river was and how that compares to what the mod spent in the 80s?
Warships and Auxiliaries 1987 stated that the Sal's were built at a cost of 9 million each - big bucks then
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:19
Active: 1980 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGGINS View Post
when details of Sercos new build plans were announced there was mention of 2 anchot handling types to be built in Abu Dhabi to replace the TRVs but they were not proceeded with.
I think that they may still be sitting in Abu Dhabi, after legal proceedings between Serco and the builders.

Really good to know that all these new builds were sourced out with the UK.

Apart from one or two yards here getting a few scraps here and there, doing conversions on the Moorhen, Moorfowl etc.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:39
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
joe , do you mean the removal of the horns?what was the reason for doing that?and did they 2 have the same problems with the winches that we had with the cameron in rosyth ?
Old 4th January 2012, 21:41

Exclamation

Quote:
joe , do you mean the removal of the horns?what was the reason for doing that?and did they 2 have the same problems with the winches that we had with the cameron in rosyth ?
Roo

Yeah, that was for the removal of the horns. Believe they were removed for the conversion to diving tenders, albeit without live on accomodation on them!

Never worked on the things, so can't comment on the winches etc.
Old 5th January 2012, 13:36

My location
ye we had big probs wi the winches which wasnt sorted out until she was sold .but always wondered if the others had the same fault from new.anyone out there know?
Old 6th January 2012, 23:18
Department: Engineering

Cameron had a different set up to that fitted to the Moorhen and Moorfowl. While they did have some issues Cameron was trouble from day one as I recall.

On the SAL Class, I think they were around 5M each plus 5M in spares (Type B) and Insurance stock ie engines, bow thrust etc. THe spare main engine was fitted to Salmaid after one had a little problem. Most of the other major parts were sold off or passed over to SERCO as the RMAS was folding
Old 8th January 2012, 04:36

My location
cheers mark.i didnt even know they had spare engines but now ye mention it , it makes sense.thank god the salmaster never had any engine problems when we were on that trial up north every year.scary stuff . lol. i was on cameron with trevor ashworth as skipper.pete graham was chief and good old seymour (rip) was there as well .that was my last boat in rosyth.i dissapeared to greenock on a transfer about 4 months before rosyth ceased to be.and then ended up coming back to rosyth in 97 .just goes to show that ye never know whats around the corner.lol . cheers again.roo
Old 9th January 2012, 12:48

My location

do we know if northern river is working on the contract already ?
Old 9th January 2012, 14:12

Quote:
do we know if northern river is working on the contract already ?
Vessel is currently on the Tees, as she is having some work done before taking up duties on the contract.
Old 11th January 2012, 22:29

My location
it will make a good platform for the LR5.assuming that the yearly re-validation trials still take place.or does that not happen anymore?
Old 12th January 2012, 13:57

Quote:
it will make a good platform for the LR5.assuming that the yearly re-validation trials still take place.or does that not happen anymore?
No longer LR5, it is now NSRS (NATO Submarine Rescue System) which is bigger than LR5. Not sure if she will deploy it but one her task is to support the trial.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:54

My location
i did not know that.thank you kindly.if its bigger , does that mean it can carry more passengers?that was always the downside of the lr5.although we were told that lr5 was only ever meant to supply oxygen cannisters and food and water to a downed sub until the yanks dsrv could get there.dont know if that was true or not.i was supposed to go down on lr5 many moons ago (about 1990 ish), but when i got inside the thing my bottle crashed.lol.it definately takes a special kind of person to want to go under the water in one o them things.roo
Old 13th January 2012, 16:40

Put NSRS into Google and you will come up with a lot of info on the system, can apparently besides the crew take 15 "passengers".
Old 14th January 2012, 13:24
Department: Engineering

LR5 could carry 6 passengers as I recall, apart from supplying O2 / food etc it did have the capability of taking people off a stricken sub, thats what we were practicing when I had my little ride. My little trip in her was to see what it was like ..... got very cold and sitting hunched up at the back you couldn't see too much of what was going on either.
Any one remember the hydraulic pullers that were tried out on the Goosander and Salmaster. They were supposed to walk the wire inboard so that heavier body lifts could be undertaken, though I could be mistaken, much like those that thought it would work. We tried a test at the North Wall, Rosyth, once some load came on the wire the puller lifted off the deck and started to rotate, not a design feature they were looking for. Think they were stowed in the shed and forgotten about.

Norther River is either in or on it's way to Falmouth for modification to undertake the TRV role, one of many roles I think she will be doing. Just wonder how long it will be before she replaces Victoria!
Old 14th January 2012, 15:03

My location
at least you had the bottle to go down in it mark.i was in the thing for all of 30 seconds and just when they were about to close the hatch one of the crew asked me for my next of kin details just in case anything went wrong.that was enough for me and i was up the ladder and back on the deck o the sal .i took a proper slagging off from the sal crew for a couple o days for that.lol. dont remember the hydraulic pullers but i do recal we had a block attatched somewhere inbetween the base of the horns which had a rope through it from one of the frd capstans to the bow of lr5 to steady her.it was always best to get her in the water quickly with that crane.why would northern river replace the victoria mark ? is she not up to her task?i did hear that she was a very bad sea boat.
Old 14th January 2012, 15:29

[QUOTE]Norther River is either in or on it's way to Falmouth for modification to undertake the TRV role, one of many roles I think she will be doing. Just wonder how long it will be before she replaces Victoria!/QUOTE]

She has certainly moved around a bit, Tees, Tyne and now Falmouth. Regarding TRV role according to informed sources only TRV work she is due to take on is the Exercise minelaying system. Despite Victoria's shortcomings I doubt if Northern River would take on all the role which would take a fair bit of work and expense which Serco certainly wouldn't want to pay for.
Old 14th January 2012, 16:30

My location
pmso. is victoria crewed by serco/ex rmas guys or did they crew her outwith the job? and any ideas who will crew northern river? hope its the guys who used to run the sal boat til recently.unless they have all been scattered to other boats.
Old 14th January 2012, 19:16

Quote:
pmso. is victoria crewed by serco/ex rmas guys or did they crew her outwith the job? and any ideas who will crew northern river? hope its the guys who used to run the sal boat til recently.unless they have all been scattered to other boats.
I am bit out of the loop on this but I think Victoria has a mix of both, certainly when I had a look around her a lot of ex RMAS deck side but some direct Serco employees on the Engineering side. No idea who will crew NR.
Old 14th January 2012, 22:12

My location
just seems like they have laid up loads of vessels in the past year or so and they havnt all been replaced because most boats seem to be multi purpose so they can cut down on men.and costs.which serco will like as they are always moaning about profit.or so i hear.but the jobs barely recognisable to what it was just 4 or 5 year ago.dont think great harbour will be a base much longer by the looks of it.it will just be full of boats for sale.its a bloody sin.incidently- when salmaster was up for sale she was laid up in rosyth and priced at 4 million we heard.dont suppose the other 2 will fetch that much seeing that they are older and the current economic strife thats goin on at the moment.i was on the damen site but couldnt find a price.would be interesting to find out what serco want for them.and if the trvs are still in good nik, they should sell pretty quickly.bloody good boats them.i thought anyway.
Old 26th January 2012, 15:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1966 - 2009

Hydraulic Pullers

Hi Mark,

The hydraulic pullers: I remember that 350K fiasco very well Mark. Another Brian Vere-Stevens (and other SALMOs who should have known better) masterplan! They were not meant to come off the deck and definitely not to rotate. A complete bloody farce.

The ultimate dream of BVS (probably after a few pints of heavy) was to get MOD to buy a second hand VLCC, chop the bow and stern off, fit all necessary infrastructure and cabling, then fit 12 of these hydraulic pullers, 6 on each side and prove that as a giant lifting barge the 'thing' could be towed to site, moored and lift a ssbn off the seabed! Complete fantasy but the scheme did get some high level support at one stage, I remember seeing the files.

Part of this dreamworld plan was for Salmaster to lay a four point mooring in the outer Forth and then lay the lifting trays on site, then using divers lay the weights into the trays! (can't remember the name for the weights, ex boom defence cast iron blocks with indents at base and fixed ring on top), then berth a SAL in the pattern and lift. Given that the pullers cost was 350K and the projected time scale for the trial was 12 weeks then a total cost ITRO say 1M?

I was all in favour as it would have kept us occupied for a long time! Bath pulled the plug eventually and as you say, the whole expensive puller arrangement ended up in the big shed gathering dust. I wonder what became of them?

Mike
Old 26th January 2012, 21:01

My location
seems like someone was trying to reinvent the old lifting craft that used to lie about the dockyards up to the late 70s
Old 17th March 2012, 18:25

SD NORTHERN RIVER at Greenock on the 15th March 2012.

SD NEWTON is seen behind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD NORTHERN RIVER (1024x768).jpg (337.5 KB, 31 views)