Hudson Steamship Company - Ships Nostalgia
22:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hudson Steamship Company

User Tag List

Old 12th November 2008, 14:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Hudson Steamship Company

Hi
Anyone here sailed with this company? I have not seen any reference to it on SN but most mariners I have spoken to, know it. In particular, did anyone sail on "Hudson Deep" back in the 60's

Alan
Old 13th November 2008, 20:53

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
Hi
Anyone here sailed with this company? I have not seen any reference to it on SN but most mariners I have spoken to, know it. In particular, did anyone sail on "Hudson Deep" back in the 60's

Alan
For you HUDSON DEEP in 60s.
Gp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hudson deep.JPG (114.0 KB, 255 views)
Old 14th November 2008, 11:07
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Hudson Bay

Have a friend sailed as R/O on the ''Hudson Bay'' for two winters, 1948-50.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 14th November 2008, 12:21
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

think denholms managed two of these ships for a while
Old 14th November 2008, 15:08

Sailed on their big bulky the "Varangifell" back in the early 70's. Good outfit. Seem to rermember the company address was Ship Street, Brighton, Sussex.

Best Regards

Yuge
Old 14th November 2008, 16:01

around 1960 Hudson Steamship Company had 2 deep sea ships and 6 coastal smaller ships:
Hudson Deep built 1952 6189 GRT Motor ship
Hudson Point built 1957 7863 GRT Motor ship
Hudson Bay built 1941 2013 GRT Steam recip
Hudson Cape built 1946 2524 GRT Steam Recip
Hudson Firth built 1949 3177 GRT Steam Recip
Hudson River built 1949 3128 GRT Steam Recip
Hudson Sound Built 1950 2577 GRT Steam Recip
Hudson Strait built 1946 3105 GRT Steam Recip.
All very regular River Tyne traders.
i seem to remember in late 60's the Deep or Point was in New Zealand and caused a national port strike or seafarers strike by being there but age has taken its toll and i cannot remember more of this incident.
regards
tim hudson (no relation)
Old 14th November 2008, 16:11

Forgot another .... Hudson Light built at Redheads, South Shields 1965 another 6000GRT Motorship.

There is a published history of the company (publisher Bernard McCall)

tim
Old 15th November 2008, 03:45

Hudson Deep

Interesting, I spent over a year on the Hudson Deep running bulk sugar into Auckland from Fiji and Queensland. The charter was with CSR (Colonial Sugar Refiners) who were Sydney based. Sugar everywhere, crunch crunch crunch.
I joined in Auckland in early 1968 along with a complete crew change, and she was dry docked over a year later at the Devonport naval dockyard, and on completion the charter was continued.
I seem to recall that there was a lot of grief with the New Zealand unions over the manning and operating of the Hudson Deep as it was seen as "stealing jobs", but no action was ever taken.
Old 15th November 2008, 07:26
Active: 1942 - 1956

My location
I sailed as R/O on Hudson Strait and Dagenham
Anyone sail with Capt James Gibbons DSC

Ivor
Old 19th November 2008, 08:40
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Lloyd View Post
I sailed as R/O on Hudson Strait and Dagenham
Anyone sail with Capt James Gibbons DSC

Ivor
Some good posts here, thanks. I believe my brother sailed with Cpt Gibbons on "Hudson Deep" over a period of 18 months in 1961/62. Hudson Deep spent most of this time around Australia/ NewZealand, Noumea, Fiji. As an apprentice, he certainly got his sea time in quick with this company. I seem to recall thinking I would never see him again!

Tanker, thanks for photo, will pass on.

Alan

Last edited by M29; 19th November 2008 at 08:42..
Old 19th November 2008, 08:56

My location
Sailed on the Hudson Firth in 1956 from the Tyne, loaded silver sand in Bremen for Puertot Rico then loaded sugar at Cuidad trijillo and Port au Prince for Silver Town
Seemore
Old 19th November 2008, 11:53
Active: 1978 - 1990

I sailed with Hudsons during the 80's. At that time the fleet comprised: Garrison Point / Crusader Point / Landguard Point / Warden Point (all small bulkers) and the dreaded Sir Alexander Glen, sister to Derbyshire. A decent outfit all in all but history now of course.

Some of the ships went on to lead colourful lives post Hudsons. The Crusader Point was converted to a Gas tanker and the Landguard Point a Products / chem tanker. The Warden Point was converted to a dedicated cement carrier.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:24

i used to work at hudson Steamship in Brighton from about 1973 until about 1978 and did one trip on Hudson Light as mate during the miners strike (sulpher from dakar to UKC) in 1974
Old 19th November 2008, 23:36
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I sailed on a supertanker in 1972 called the Hudson Friendship. It was brand new, built in Malmo if I recall. I was an RO for Kelvin Hughes at the time, and this was my first VLCC.

After a Bank Boat, this ship was an eye opener. I'm not sure what happened to the Hudson Company, or those tankers, but I would like to find out.
Old 21st November 2008, 01:03

Lamptrimmer HUDSON DEEP

I sailed on the HUDSON DEEP 1963/1964 Capt's Elsdon. Wickman and Crosby.She was the original Super collier with Blyth ( Bates and West) as her usual loading port and discharge at Northfleet Power Station on the Thames.No expense was spared to keep her on the move. We signed Home Trade Articles but worked watch aboard watch ashore.Experience gained during her time on the N.E. Coast helped design the next generation of colliers like the HUDSON LIGHT.
Old 21st November 2008, 13:47

My father, Ben Goodman, sailed with them as Chief Engineer in the 1970's. Ships he were on, were Hudson Light (Blyth/Tilbury run), Hudson Belle and the Verangafjel (??).
On the Light, remember meeting someone called "Sherrif" and was on the Belle for the voyage from Glasgow to Barry Island Drydocks to be handed over to the new owners in 1976.
Old 22nd November 2008, 16:26

Hudson SS Co

Sailed on the Hudson Point about 1965 loaded yellow phosphate in Foynes southern Ireland for the Texas ports of Baumont and Brownsville.Joined the Hudson Deep in Blyth very early 70s running coal from the north east coast to the London river Grays/West Thurrock,sticks had been taken off her and we worked 5 on 5off got some pics somewhere that i took in Ming Ming.
Old 22nd November 2008, 17:30

My location
Did anyone sail in the Hudson Light in 1969?
Old 22nd November 2008, 18:06
Active: 1942 - 1956

My location
Hudsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamptrimmer View Post
I sailed on the HUDSON DEEP 1963/1964 Capt's Elsdon. Wickman and Crosby.She was the original Super collier with Blyth ( Bates and West) as her usual loading port and discharge at Northfleet Power Station on the Thames.No expense was spared to keep her on the move. We signed Home Trade Articles but worked watch aboard watch ashore.Experience gained during her time on the N.E. Coast helped design the next generation of colliers like the HUDSON LIGHT.
Lamptrimmer :

Would that be Cpt A Crosby ?
I sailed with him when he was Capt of the SS Dagenham (Hudsons)

Ivor
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:34

I was working in Canmmell Lairds in the 1970's, when Hudson Fuel and Shipping ordered four Stat32 tankers. the first of these Hudson Progress was launched in Feb 1975, followed by Hudson Cavalier in July of the same year and Hudson Deep in January of 1976. Because of Hudson's financial problems, Cammell Laird took ownership of these three. The fourth was not built until 1981, and was named Bayleaf, and was chartered to MOD Navy in March 1982.
The Hudson Progress was operated as Balder London until 1984, when she was sold to MOD and renamed Orangeleaf. The Hudson Cavalier became RFA Brambleleaf in 1980, and the Hudson Deep became RFA Appleleaf in 1979.

Bayleaf is back in Birkenhead undergoing refit by a company with the same name as that which built her, and in the same yard.
A picture of Bayleaf here
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...2/ppuser/12939
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:45

Pat,

Can you give your view on whether the Cammell Laird reincarnation will be a success.

Brgds

Bill
Old 23rd November 2008, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Lloyd View Post
Lamptrimmer :

Would that be Cpt A Crosby ?
I sailed with him when he was Capt of the SS Dagenham (Hudsons)

Ivor
Yes the signature says A. Crosby . Well respected by us Deckies. He was not adverse to giving a blast on the whistle to get the lads from the GOLDEN FLEECE for the P.M. sailings.I often wonder how he would have reacted to a suggestion that the Company supply him with overalls and a douvet to help with crew reduction.The Chief Officer was Mr. Uminski (spelling may be incorrect) known to us as The Duke.On one trip from Blyth we loaded 7,700 tons which was then I think a record cargo for a collier.We also had a good turn of speed and the Chief Eng.delighted in leaving the WATERLAND behind.
A very sad day when the "DEEP" sank in the Western Med. in 1972.

Regards
lamptrimmer
Old 23rd November 2008, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Pat,

Can you give your view on whether the Cammell Laird reincarnation will be a success.

Brgds

Bill
Bill,
I doubt if my view would be objective.
I want very much for it to be a success, and the agreement with Fincantiere must mean something is in the offing, but as someone else pointed out on another thread, all the machinery and shipbuilding equipment is gone. It would take a massive investment to set it all up again, but I really hope it can be done.
Pat
Old 23rd November 2008, 20:20

Pat,

Your response probably sums up my feelings.

Bill
Old 18th May 2009, 21:10

If I recall correctly, it was the Hudson Sound (built 1950: later re-named the Rosella, then Cathy, then Vedalin) that was impounded in the inner harbor of Baltimore, Maryland, during the mid 1970's for unpaid bills. I worked as an office drone in a bureaucracy then, and used to haunt the harbor in my free time, dreaming of more exciting worlds. I was never able to go aboard, but I drove by the pier and parked alongside her many a time to "gaze in wild surmise."

Just the ship, I figured, for a Humphrey Bogart sort of fellow such as myself to captain, tramping throughout the South Seas, with a half-dozen or so passengers rangeing from spies to drug lords to beautiful Eurasian Countesses with scandalous pasts....

Trips to the Vedalin kept me sane, gazing out the window through many an office workday. If my checking account balance had not been a complete laughingstock I'd have bought that ship.

You who have lived the life for real may not realize how powerful the pull of the fantasy is for those of us ashore.