Strick Line - Ships Nostalgia
08:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Strick Line

User Tag List

Old 12th January 2013, 15:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1968

Strick Line

anyone here on the strick line about the sixties?
Old 12th January 2013, 17:26

From 1959 to 1965 Michael. Good company to work for.Served my time with them.
Old 12th January 2013, 18:59
Les Edgecumbe
Active: 1965 - Present

My location
Did my first 6 months on Gorjistan, Chf R/O John Kidd, Masdter Ockleford. Great trip, great ship and great company. Relieved on Sharistan later on.
Old 12th January 2013, 19:44
Active: 1963 - 1995

Coasted the Gorjistan November 1964 from Hull to Liverpool north about, light ship. First and only time I used a rotating loop DF. Blowing a gale in the middle of the night in the North Sea, but was surprised how well they matched where the Capt thought we were.

David
+
Old 12th January 2013, 20:35

November 1962 First voyage as junior R/O on the Armanistan, Ch R/O Angus McNeil from Isle of Barra, Scotland. Joined her at Salford Docks for 4 month voyage to the Persian Gulf and Bombay, returning to Liverpool March 1963. Captain was H.D.Quick. For a young lad this was an eye opener and a great experience. Ships Monthly. October 2012 had a very interesting article about Strick Line with my voyage being described on page 42.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:02

I joined the Floristan in South Shields May 1965 while the ship was still being fitterd out in Redheads. The maiden voyage was general cargo to the Gulf, then down to Mauritius for a full cargo of raw sugar. This came out in barges by the sack full, which were then opened and the contents poured into the holds. We spent quite a long time there Finally, off to Canada. Part of the sugar removed in Montreal to lighten ship for the Seaway, then Toronto. Fantastic experience going up the locks of the Welland Canal. Took quite a bit of time to get the rest of the sugar out in Toronto. It had compressed solid at the bottom, and mini bulldozers and pneumatic drills had to be used to break it up. Then on up to Thunder Bay to load a full cargo of grain for the UK. It was well into November by the time we left, and speculation was starting that we could get frozen in. There was a significant amount of ice on the river by the time we got to Montreal, and when we stopped at Quebec to top up with more grain the dock railway tracks were just slight bumps in the ice. Glad to get back to thr UK in early December, but I didn't get relieved until New Years Eve.
Jon

Last edited by Jon Sparks; 12th January 2013 at 23:05.. Reason: missed out bit
Old 13th October 2013, 21:10

Strick Line.

Hi Mike sailed on Baharistan/GBQU 69/70 did 4 trips as 1st. also sailed on Serbistan/GRLA '71. Fine company. Attended REI 64/66
Regards H/F.
Old 14th October 2013, 01:00

Baharistan

Hi Harvey,
Do you think we ever met?
Old 14th October 2013, 01:05

Baharistan

I must go to bed now anyway, as I must be up early tomorrow morning, (this morn rather)
Be in touch tomorrow
Michael
Old 14th October 2013, 08:42
user
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1991

My late father was an Engineer Superintendant with Stricks, having served his time as a Junior with them, then up through the ranks to Chief, before coming ashore. As a child I used to accompany him on his visits to whichever vessels were in Millwall on a Saturday morning, so all the ships' names listed are very familiar to me!
Old 14th October 2013, 09:51
Active: 1968 - Present

My location
My first trip was Junior R/O on Khuzistan/GTBK. Joined Salford August 1968, No.9 dock, No. 9 shed. Left in Avonmouth on New Year's Day 1969. Derek Austin was Chief R/O.
Old 31st October 2013, 17:59
Active: 1965 - 1975

I did a couple of coasting trips on the Baharistan in the late 60's the first was just UK ports the second was a bit longer nice ship I also came across her when we were alongside in Bahrain when I was on the Karagistan which might have been around 68/69. The usual UK to PG round the cape as the canal was still shut and back load Bombay to UK via cape. I seem to recall there might have been a drink or three consumed as the sparkie on GBQU sent a receipt for our traffic (our aerials were down for cargo) just as a thank you know or being sociable.

yuseeimbutyunoseeim bass
Old 31st October 2013, 22:44
Active: 1962 - 1979

Coasted on the "Kohistan", Avonmouth-Liverpool-Antwerp mid/end October 1964. Back to Harwich via cattle boat.