Visual Memories of RMS St. Helena - 1978 - 1990 - Ships Nostalgia
14:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Visual Memories of RMS St. Helena - 1978 - 1990

User Tag List

Old 26th January 2013, 11:56

Visual Memories of RMS St. Helena - 1978 - 1990

Here is a short slide show I made up a couple of days ago for U-Tube.
Bob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkDE6cEY5TY

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 26th January 2013, 12:16
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1952 - 2010

Visual Memories of St Helena 1978 - 1990

That is a great record of life aboard this iconic little ship, many thanks for posting the link to the Youtube video and well done on putting together such an interesting selection of pictures taken aboard her.
Old 26th January 2013, 15:12
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Bob, Thanks for showing St Helena and the 12 models, from shipbuilder to film director
Old 26th January 2013, 17:01

Thanks,
I think the music helped with the St. Helena images. It was one of the standard U Tube backgrounds called "abandoned"
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 26th January 2013, 17:48

Interesting pictures. I believe she doesn't now come to the UK.
What a shame. I had thought we might do the trip - is it still worth while do you think ?
Old 26th January 2013, 19:05

The ship in the slide show no longer exists! She was 16 years old when St. Helena Lines fitted her out as a Class I passenger ship, and 27 years old when she was sold for further trading. In 1990, she became the Avalon, sailing out of Durban to the Seychelles, but it was not successful and she was sold again, and shortly after went to scrap. In 1990, we all transferred to the new ship of the same name that was twice the size and carried 132 passengers. That ship is still sailing today, but as you say, no longer comes to the UK. The current route is Ascension - St. Helena - Cape Town and I think they call at Walvis Bay as well. If you want to travel, it would necessitate flying to either Ascension or Cape Town. There are loads of videos on U-Tube about the new ship.
I joined the old ship in 1979 and left in early 1990 to go to the new one. I did not like the new one anywhere near as much, because being a bit of a dinosaur, the fancy electronics were well beyond my understanding and it was a continual battle to keep things working - took voluntary redundancy in late 1992 at the age of 48, and never looked back! (I was R/O of 1960 qualification vintage).
The old ship, featured in my small slide show, was a pleasure to sail in - the very best of all my 19 ships from 1961 to 1992. That is saying a lot, because before that, I thought nothing could be superior to Windsor Castle, Reina del Mar etc in which I served for quite a number of happy years!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 29th January 2013, 11:40
user
Department: Deck
Active: 1998 - Present

My location
Years ago, I remember see "new" St Helene calling in Vigo, berthed in passenger terminal... a singular ship; in fact the only cargo-passenger I ever seen here, if I remember well.
Old 29th January 2013, 12:36

My location
Nice to see the Furuno FRS48 radar in the wheelhouse at 1.17 ( the small one) . I installed it in Vancouver 1975 when the vessel was called Northland Prince.
Old 5th February 2013, 06:49
Active: 1963 - Present

Hello,

Thanks a lot for sharing interesting slide, it brings some good memories. I have really enjoyed to seeing this.

waterton alberta accommodation
Old 20th February 2013, 11:32
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Nice one Bob, a good selection of pics, but can you still name all those at 1:37 ?

Cheers

Andy
Old 20th February 2013, 13:37

Thanks for replies. The little radar lasted quite a long time and its end came when its range went down to almost nothing the moment the ship got underway. But in port, it was perfect. A very peculiar fault that turned out to be that the scanner was half full of water! The vibration of moving must have sloshed it up into the waveguide. Goodness knows how it worked OK when ship was at anchor, but scanner going round. Problem solved by drilling a hole in bottom of scanner and it took about half an hour to empty. OK after that, but a new scanner was not available and because of corrosion worries, the whole lot was replaced.

Andy.
Yes, I can still name the entire crew although it was thirty years ago. We were all together for quite a number of years. Some of us first sailed together in 1965 aboard Windsor Castle!.
We transferred to the new ship in 1990.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 3rd May 2013, 20:06
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

RMS Memories!

Nice one Windjammer! Brought back a lot of memories, must admit, I preferred the "old RMS" to the "new one". Remember handing over to the new one in Cardiff, she looked so forlorn! We weren't allowed on the "new one", but got our "revenge" during the re-engining in Falmouth!
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:06
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Andy.
Yes, I can still name the entire crew although it was thirty years ago. We were all together for quite a number of years. Some of us first sailed together in 1965 aboard Windsor Castle!.
We transferred to the new ship in 1990.
Bob

Bob, did you come across Jim Forsey and Ken Young on St. Helena?

Derek
Old 4th May 2013, 00:42
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good morning shipbuilder.jan,2013,21:65.re:visual memories of rms st,helena-1978-1990.i have read the posting,and everybody has great memories of there time on st helensa.i have watched your link.(my compliments of a fine production)and it was a pleasure,it was like being there.no wonder they have great memories,thank you for posting.have a good day.ben27
Old 4th May 2013, 11:03

Thanks for the slideshow. Interesting to see the sextants being used!
Old 4th May 2013, 12:58

Thanks for replies. I remember Jim Forsey well as he was on both ships for a number of years and we still exchange Christmas cards. Don't remember a Ken Young, so maybe he only did one voyage.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 9th May 2019, 12:08

avalan in durban 1991 and later

i was lucky to have spent a day on this little beaut - when the qe 2 called in durban - she later went under the indianoceanique - banner if i recall - her newer counter part has of recent been sold then resold then resold and again resold - being the st helena - mng tahiti - ( as a gun ship) back to st helena - as a luxury yacht - did not happen and lastly as a extreme e racing paddock ship - !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avalon 1991 (1).jpg (88.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg avalon 1991 (2).jpg (84.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg avalon indianoceanique.jpg (90.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg st helena - extreme e.jpg (374.8 KB, 1 views)