Port Quebec - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
00:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port Quebec

User Tag List

Old 13th June 2018, 22:16

I was on her last trip we took her to China for scrap it was my first trip as a deck boy. John gallop was the bosun. The lazy Q.
Old 14th June 2018, 04:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy

My location
Terry... Welcome to Ships Nostalgia and to our Tusitala thread. You're sure to have a great time here.
I have written about part of my first trip - it was great recalling some of the good things that happened, and some not so good! However, its great to have those memories.
It would give a lot of readers here some pleasure recalling their own first trips if you felt up to giving us a run-down of your time - good or bad - aboard Quebec as a first-tripper. Cheers!

Regards,

Taff

Last edited by tsell; 14th June 2018 at 04:11..
Old 27th November 2018, 05:15

The Lazy Q was on her in 1966 , down aft accom and the meals carried across the deck in all weather in plate carrier . good years but never got fat on the Port Boats.
Old 6th January 2019, 16:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1987

SS Port Quebec

SS Port Quebec was under construction for the Port Line when she was requisitioned by the Ministry of War Transport for completion as the auxiliary minelayer HMS Port Quebec. She joined the Royal Navy 1st Minelaying Squadron based at Kyle of Lochalsh (port ZA) laying mines for the World War II Northern Barrage.[1] After minelaying was completed in October 1943, she was retained for conversion to a repair ship and renamed HMS Deer Sound (F99) in 1944. She was then returned to the Port Line in 1947.[2]
1947 Port Quebec, Port Line, 1968 scrapped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS_Port_Quebec_FL9995 (1).jpg (59.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 3rd February 2019, 17:54

My name is George Fuller,
I am the grandson of Capt. Ralph P Fuller,
he mastered Port Line ships all through wwii starting in 1939 on Port Halifax and ending in 1951 on the famous Port Quebec.
Would love to hear any info from perhaps anyone who might have heard of him.
Best regards
G Fuller
Old 1st March 2019, 00:56

My location
Served on Port Quebec Voyage 33 August 63 - June 64.
Master J R King, Ch/O M S O'Byrne, 2nd D Shearn, 3rd T Steddy, J 3rd B Stephenson.
Great crew, great trip!
Old 6th April 2019, 00:05

Hello, I know these posts are from a while ago now, however I am currently typing up the diary of my grandad Glyn Hopwood that he kept whilst on HMS Deer sound during WW2. I would be happy to look out for any names or discuss dates. At the moment I am up to 1945 where he is in Sydney! I have photo's of the crew too. Please feel free to get in touch.
Old 3rd May 2019, 04:02

Hi Shaun, Paid off the Port Hobart after the Port Wellington and joined the Lazy Q or Port Quebec 27th April 1967 KG5 . aft accom remember carrying the plate carrier for meals from galley aft of main Housing. The day we all signed on someone stole the lunch which was sitting by galley window ,roast chickens I think but dockers had a great lunch. Paid off in Auckland later joined the Sussex back to KG5 .great days only 20 year old. hope you are still enjoying life.