Your 21st Birthday. How and where spent. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Your 21st Birthday. How and where spent.

User Tag List

Old 28th September 2013, 07:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 1976

My location
1963. Port Phillip. Picasso Night Club in Auckland sly groggin on rum, then party on board.. Worked seagullin next day down the hatch loading wool bales on some dutch ship. Couldn't do that nowadays.

Last edited by Jacko123; 28th September 2013 at 09:10..
Old 28th September 2013, 09:02
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2000

My location
Sept 1969, paid off in Singapore, waited 4 days for a flight home. Stayed at Connel House, but I didn't see much of it. Just 4 days of partying and meeting many old friends.
Old 28th September 2013, 10:00
Active: 1958 - 2015

My actual birthday was half way between Melbourne and Sydney on the Cornwall in 1963, the party was in Sydney with the girls from the Australian Army as all the usual nurses' homes were fully booked, but that is another story.
The engineers made me a solid brass key about 8" long which still lives in a box somewhere.
They told me I had a great time.
Ian
Old 28th September 2013, 10:21
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1967

21st Birthday

Paid-off in Liverpool on my 21st birthday from Brocklebank's Mangla, after 6 month trip to India and the US. Perfect timing!!
Old 28th September 2013, 12:30

transit lounge Frankfurt airport whilst homeward after paying off 'Cumberland' in Bandar Abbas. Fog all over Europe and all flights suspended,

Dave
Old 28th September 2013, 15:09

According to my discharge book, I was AB on Blue Funnel's Machaon, but I have no recollection of where we were at, or of any special celebration.
Pat
Old 28th September 2013, 22:37

My location
Did the 4-8 morning watch as apprentice on Brocklebanks' Mawana arriving Rotterdam, then did the 8-12 cargo watch. I was granted a case of beer at lunchtime, a concession as apprentices did not always have a tap. Back on watch at 4 pm till end of cargo then stations leaving at about 8. I think I clocked up 14 hours. When the regular deepsea crowd had all joined I was allowed to buy beer for the four months out to India and back.
Old 29th September 2013, 03:24
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
July 15 1969, went ashore in Galveston with Dave Hannigan one of the other appies from the Marabank, got on the booze something shocking and arrived back aboard next day and were told our shore leave had been stopped, basically until hell froze over.
Lennie Thorne was not amused.

I well remember it as on the day we got back the first man on the moon walked aound on it. We had already been to the moon the night before!
Old 30th September 2013, 04:52
Active: 1958 - 1965

I left the Eboe on 26th September, my birthday is the 30th, yes, 51 years ago today in UK.
So I went home, and a few days later signed on in Byron St to prepare for my 2nd Mate's ticket.

Last edited by Rogerfrench; 30th September 2013 at 04:57..
Old 30th September 2013, 05:32
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
June 14th 1968 deep sea on British Centaur. On 12-4 watch (Lookout) on Bridge. A few bevvies during the day. Crashed in the toilet, and finally woken up by the Mate at around 06.30. Logged!
Old 30th September 2013, 07:10
Active: 1957 - 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerfrench View Post
I left the Eboe on 26th September, my birthday is the 30th, yes, 51 years ago today in UK.
So I went home, and a few days later signed on in Byron St to prepare for my 2nd Mate's ticket.
Hi Roger. Have yourself a BRILLIANT day, today celebrating the commencement of your third, 'bonus' year! The old maxim of 'three score and ten' seems to be no longer applicable. One of my oldest drinking pals is in his 93rd year and still sinks the pints like he did 45 years ago when we first met. He was coastal Command in WW2 and actually sank a U boat in addition to his daily pints.

It's good to see an ED name on the main forum. You're number two after Derek B, whose 'celebration' you've, probably, already read.

I'll be back to you - by e mail - soon on the 'joke' directive of ED's training directives for their future deck 'Off ice' errrrs.

Here's to your good health etc etc. Cheers! G
Old 30th September 2013, 11:54

Quote:
Roger,

I think we were both at Byron Street at virtually the same time before being blessed by the notorious Captain Fletcher, strange to think that you are virtually down the road from me in Richmond.

Happy Birthday to you.

Ian
Old 30th September 2013, 12:03
user
Active: 1974 - 1991

In Avonmouth on the City of Worcester, a beautiful summer spent there following a fire in No.3 amongst cotton goods from Pakistan. Memories of a very pleasant leisurely time.
Old 30th September 2013, 15:52
Active: 1961 - 1999

My location
Spent my 21st (14/03/61) as first trip Apprentice somewhere between Norfolk, Vriginia and Manchester on Stag Line vessel. In those days I was quite old to be a first tripper!
Old 30th September 2013, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
Spent my 21st (14/03/61) as first trip Apprentice somewhere between Norfolk, Vriginia and Manchester on Stag Line vessel. In those days I was quite old to be a first tripper!
Seems I beat you into this world by nine days and into an apprenticeship by three and a half years. Having said that, your time spent at sea far exceeds mine! Stag Line, now there's a 'name' from the far recesses of the receding memory cells.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:30
Active: 1957 - 1986

21st birthday.

I had just passed my 2nd mate's and was standing by on the Accra whilst she was having a safety survey done. Fortunately, the surveyor was not our dear old Captain Fletcher but a much younger man who had just passed me for my orals!
Old 30th September 2013, 18:36
Active: 1957 - 1986

Sorry, forgot to say - it was feb 1962. ( These one eyed monters still scare me. Give me an old piece of furniture and I am happy to refurb)
Old 30th September 2013, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mackrell View Post
I had just passed my 2nd mate's and was standing by on the Accra whilst she was having a safety survey done. Fortunately, the surveyor was not our dear old Captain Fletcher but a much younger man who had just passed me for my orals!
Surprise, surprise, it's the 'man' himself! Welcome to SN! You've got me scratching the 'old proverbial' though! How did you manage to sit and pass your second mate's, prior to your 21st, when yours truly was still at sea completing the necessary sea time before sitting mine?
Old 30th September 2013, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mackrell View Post
Sorry, forgot to say - it was feb 1962. ( These one eyed monters still scare me. Give me an old piece of furniture and I am happy to refurb)
OK! Thanks for the 'correction', I can stop trying to work out why it wasn't you, rather than me, as Obuasi headman.
Old 1st October 2013, 04:59
Active: 1958 - 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergoods View Post
Roger,

I think we were both at Byron Street at virtually the same time before being blessed by the notorious Captain Fletcher, strange to think that you are virtually down the road from me in Richmond.

Happy Birthday to you.

Ian
And there's another not too far away, in Liverpool, Texas. Derek Shoobridge, also ex-EDs. Small world.

Thanks for the birthday wish!
Old 1st October 2013, 08:59

21 Today

Way way back to the 29th January 1951
Was R/O on the Chelwood at buoys on the Thames in thick fog. Decided to go and see my girlfriend in Reading. Had no idea where we were but took a tram or two and ended up at Paddington hence on to Reading. Not a very happy evening as my girlfriend had decided that we were no longer lovers/friends. Miserable evening. Had to go back using the same route that I had used to get to Reading. Remember that the ship was still at the buoys and still thick fog.
Did contact my ex girlfriend some months later and was told that she was engaged. It did no longer matter but I will always remember that day some sixty years ago. I must be knocking on
Regards and good health to everyone
Bert.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:49

Quote:
And there's another not too far away, in Liverpool, Texas. Derek Shoobridge, also ex-EDs. Small world.

Thanks for the birthday wish!
I used to work at Atlanta Maritime in Houston with Derek in the early 80's, but I haven't seen him in 20 years.

Ian
Old 1st October 2013, 17:58

May 1969 Shanghai to Victoria B.C.Four days from Victoria.Thick fog.I was 3rd mate with Ropners vessel Rushpool.I did'nt do my watch that night.I think the Old man deputised for me,although I can't be sure.We had a good drink,Sparky,4th engineer,junior engineers and the Electrician.I had another 21st in Victoria ashore,but can't remember any of that.For some reason only the shipboard celebration seems to have stuck in my mind
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:40

26th June 1964 On the"Lady Charrington" discharging coal at Woolwich Arsenal,three of us crossed the river and spent the evening in the Kent Arms.I believe I did all that was expected of me,and made a complete A*SE of myself!MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:17
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1997

15.11.72, m.v. Cyclops, somewhere at sea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5137.JPG (237.3 KB, 46 views)