Asiafreighter - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Asiafreighter

User Tag List

Old 9th January 2006, 20:48
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW
Please feel free to check out the photos of this class recently posted on the gallery under 'Asiafreighter'.

RobW,

Excellent photographs and thanks for sharing them with us.
Old 9th January 2006, 21:00
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400
.......... incidentally the same organisation did the same with Sealand in Newark NJ. ........... I used to watch the Sealand containership in wonderment and I have to admit with a bit of sceptism .........
Malcolm,

The Sealand ships were steam powered. I remember seeing SEALAND MCLEAN on the odd occasion. Launched in 1972, the first SL-7 was the largest and fastest container ship of her time. She used to cross the Atlantic 'flat out' and was an impressive sight. There were eight SL-7s built and they were eventually sold to the U.S. Navy as logistics deployment vessels.

SEALAND MCLEAN was named after Malcon McLean, who was born in Maxton, N.C., a trucker who was credited for having started the container revolution.
Old 22nd January 2006, 15:46

USCG required EITHER Steam or Motor on the GTS Admiral Callaghan
Old 12th February 2006, 01:08

Smile Gtv Speeds

Hi all!
Regarding the record speeds attributed to the GTV's. I joined the EUROLINER as 2nd Mate when the vessel was about 6 months old. One thing i do remember is recording a speed of 36 kts (over the ground, in a 20 minute period) again with a full Spring Tide in the Pentland Firth. This was verified by the (off duty) North Sea Pilot who had embarked at Brixham, and would be leaving the vessel in Greenock. Best General Average Speed achieved during my time on board was 27.2 kts on the voyage from Charleston to Le Havre. Great vessels to sail on, except for the Omega Nav Systems and the Stability problems as mentioned by John. Masters during my time on board were I C Campbell and Tam Cormack (with the late Dougie as Chief Officer). Great change from a pevious transatlantic Winter crossing on the ORMSARY at 6/7 kts!!
Regards to all
Old 12th February 2006, 07:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by japottinger
What ticket did the Chief Engineer have, steam or diesel!
they all had to have a combined ticket
Old 12th February 2006, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Murray
Hi all!
Regarding the record speeds attributed to the GTV's. I joined the EUROLINER as 2nd Mate when the vessel was about 6 months old. One thing i do remember is recording a speed of 36 kts (over the ground, in a 20 minute period) again with a full Spring Tide in the Pentland Firth. This was verified by the (off duty) North Sea Pilot who had embarked at Brixham, and would be leaving the vessel in Greenock. Best General Average Speed achieved during my time on board was 27.2 kts on the voyage from Charleston to Le Havre. Great vessels to sail on, except for the Omega Nav Systems and the Stability problems as mentioned by John. Masters during my time on board were I C Campbell and Tam Cormack (with the late Dougie as Chief Officer). Great change from a pevious transatlantic Winter crossing on the ORMSARY at 6/7 kts!!
Regards to all
you say the late dougie has he passed away??
Old 13th February 2006, 08:17

My location
Angus,

You mention the "late" Dougie.

Who do you mean??

JC
Old 16th February 2006, 14:55

Dougie Naismith

Regarding Dougie Naismith: A Chief Engineer who sailed with me in Stirling Shipping (and who belonged to Bridge of Allan, Dougie's home town) informed me when he came back off leave, that Dougie had passed away in hospital in Edinburgh. This goes back to sometime in the eighties, not too sure of the exact year. This coming from a reliable source, i have no doubt regarding the authenticity of the report. If this is true, Dougie must have been a relatively young man at the time of his death.

Angus
Old 16th February 2006, 15:46
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Angus to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.
Old 17th February 2006, 19:46

My location
Angus,
You only said "Dougie"and I never mentioned Naismith but looks like we both
are talking about the same person.
did not know that DN had passed away - very sad - he was indeed not so old.
Last sailed with him on the Cast Puffin early 1981.

JC
Old 19th February 2006, 23:09

GTS Master

I have noticed a few references to Capt Norman Angus Macdonald by those who sailed with him on the GTS and other vessels (To John Cassels - i think you also mention sailing with him on the Naess Cavalier) . In case you are not aware of it, NA sadly passed away a couple of years ago. Other ex Denholm Masters still hale and hearty in Lewis are Malcolm Thompson and Bert Frater.
Angus
Old 20th February 2006, 10:23

My location
Angus,

Confirms what Kevin said that N.A.Mac passed away a couple of years
ago. Very sad , I learned a lot from that man.

JC
Old 10th April 2006, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels
Ray;
Your lack of experience re the GTV's is beginning to show.

43 knts (over the ground )---------how was that acertained... in your dreams !.

If you think that DM was probably the best ship handler you ever sailed with...
then I rest my case.

JC
John, I was on the Euroliner for a while and found the engineering interesting. I learned to use lockwire and a wiretwisting tool sitting cramped up in the enclosures changing out turbine blades because of "hot-section sulphidation". Only lost a few gas generators. When I returned some years later they had stopped using MGT7 fuel and were on a heavier blend meaning all kinds of money-saving attempts (homogenszers, fuel additives) resulting in lots of troubles with the turbines. And I remember our service speed being 27 knots and rarely exceeding that. Who was it that let the flashlight go through the turbine on her maiden voyage? There's a good question.
Nights going through the Minch, parcels would be dropped off the fantail and a fishing boat would pick up whatever. Can imaging that when they changed out the engines and had less speed they would have been real uncomfortabe dogs.
Scotty
Old 10th April 2006, 21:55

it was the old man regards kevin.
Old 11th April 2006, 08:46

My location
David;

As Kevin says , it was the Master at the time and if my memory is correct , it was
Ian Graham (superman).
Questions re dropping things off the poop. Kevin and I have a mutual aquaintance
who may have practised this black art.

JC
Old 11th April 2006, 17:03

hi john yes it was i c graham i was washing out the engine in the plenum chamber when he came in the door he tripped on the hose and the torch flew out of his hand i saw a lot of sparks as it got sucked into the engine ian ross jun chief said to me what was that i said the old mans torch his reply was he can tell the f----nn chief him self his next masters job was the dunblane wee nick constantis the greek in nj was not a happy chappie when we got there ah but the memories are great regards kevin yes we threw a few things over for a certain fishing boat wich shall remain nameless b j is doing fine by the way he sends his regards.
Old 11th April 2006, 19:18

My location
Kevin,

Great we can talk in code because for the outside world he will stay B.J.

Yes, I thought it was I.C.Graham but wasn't sure. I sailed with him after the
torch incident also on the Eurofreighter but it was something he never talked
about. Don't blame him. remember Ian Ross well, he was chief then. Other
ch.engs on the GTV's I sailed with --- Sandy(forgot his name);Dick Stevenette
John Benn; Mick MacManus and probably a lot more that I can't remember.

Nick in Weehauken, wow there's a guy I don't miss. Guess we could write a book
about the things that happened on the GTV's. Still got my testimonial letters
that I got after the gas affair which is a story in itself though am still not allowed
to talk about it.

One of these days I'll see you two again ( you and B.J. I mean )!!!!!!!!!!!.

JC
Old 11th April 2006, 22:16

another great guy was jun chief on them was allan blackwood think he ended up super with stena line be great to get together again for a few beers regards kev.
Old 12th April 2006, 01:25
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Kevin/John,
Another Chief - Willie Thorburn.

Anyone who sailed on the GTV's could have a pretty shrewd guess at who BJ is! If I remember correctly he also discouraged the use of toilets when passing a certain Hebridean Island.

I sailed with his brother “Pedro” on Arctic Troll several times. Did either of you ever meet him? He's another of life’s real characters

Last edited by Gulpers; 12th April 2006 at 02:15.. Reason: Info added
Old 12th April 2006, 06:37

i sailed with him as well on vancouver forest used to visit him when he was home sailed with willie thorburn still got the scar to prove it neil mac mahon was another onemet him in barra a few years back he was super for some company russian i think kev
Old 7th July 2006, 20:01
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1989

My location
I sailed as 4th Engineer on both Eurofreighter & Asiafreighter from April 1978 till January 1979. By this time due to the high fuel prices they had been converted to run on Blended Fuel Oil (BFO). This was a mixture of heavy fuel and the MGT7 (known in the aircraft industry as AVTUR) They had extra plant fitted to 'wash', homergenize and treat the fuel with an anti high temp corrosion inhibitor. It was very interesting sailing on them during this time and many of the engineers could carry out the hot section inspections and engine change outs in their sleep! As metioned in prevous posts we used sail across the pond on one engine and use the extra power to maintian scedule on the coast.

I also remember that when on watch we were constantly pumping ballast to maintain stability as they were carrying the boxes 4 high on deck.
Old 7th July 2006, 20:42
Wee John

My location
I sailed with I.C. on the Dunelmea, and was warned by the C/E not to mention gas turbines. I must admit I never did, so I dont Know The truth of the story but it is a good one. A few beers I have had telling the story. Just by the way, I.C. was a good Old Man on the Dunelmia
Old 7th July 2006, 21:32

I.C.asfar asthe deck crew was concerened stood for action man.B.J/ a steward well above his station as was his brother Niell -housewifes with balls
Old 8th July 2006, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels
Tom;
I was ch,mate on all 4 Seatrain ships 1974-1977 and have never heard of the
Asiafreighter(fastest of the 4) recording 43kts. Also 36 knts without 120% power
is also an exageration.
Was on board her during the famous Arsine gas incident and even running out
to the western approaches to meet up with HMS Kent for the gas freeing operation
we never got near to 36 kts.
They were also not particularly good sea ships , especially in a following sea and
stability was the mate's nightmare.
The most that can be said for the speed ia that you very rarely had a crossing
situation.

JC
I seem to remember that at one point the foremast on the asia freighter was bent towards the stern after encountering heavy seas wasn't this at the same time as the gas incident
Old 9th July 2006, 00:49
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Cool Go Fast Foremast

The raked back foremast was due to an accident alongside in Greenock. A trainee container crane operator was lifting ‘invisible’ boxes ahead of the ship and, once he got bored with that, decided to travel up the berth. Unfortunately the crane’s boom set our foremast back about 30 degrees. A work party from Scott Lithgows made a rapid visit to the ship to re-align the foremast navigation light before we sailed.
After our Atlantic crossing we were at stations for arrival in Weehawken when the Pilot decided to let rip on the whistle. An unfortunate decision since the for'd whistle was, of course, pointing skyward. Instead of the normal resounding bellow we were treated to hiccup, gurgle, phaaart and about 45 gallons of water being coughed onto the fo’c’sle head.
The racy looking ‘go fast’ mast remained with us until we arrived in Bremerhaven later in the trip when permanent repairs were carried out.
Incidentally, I’ve no idea what became of the trainee crane driver!