Asiafreighter - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
03:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Asiafreighter

User Tag List

Old 9th July 2006, 03:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

bj had more balls than you will ever have and he does not have brother niell and we were all great shipmates i was born a bosun not a jumt up toe rag like you !this is a
site for real seaman not ********s! that only went to sea yesterday.can i ask what
what or where you sailed with bj were you on the s/b anchored off brevig a few years ago regards kev.
Old 9th July 2006, 14:30

hi john i was on asiafreighter na mac was old man we hit a milestone in bad weather and the foremast got ripped out of the focsle deck and it was faceing the other way i forget how many boxes were lost and smashed that night it did a lot of damage to the cabins as well a night i will always remember regards kev.
Old 9th July 2006, 23:15
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Asiafreighter / Asialiner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulpers
The raked back foremast was due to an accident alongside in Greenock. A trainee container crane operator was lifting ‘invisible’ boxes ahead of the ship and, once he got bored with that, decided to travel up the berth. Unfortunately the crane’s boom set our foremast back about 30 degrees. A work party from Scott Lithgows made a rapid visit to the ship to re-align the foremast navigation light before we sailed.
After our Atlantic crossing we were at stations for arrival in Weehawken when the Pilot decided to let rip on the whistle. An unfortunate decision since the for'd whistle was, of course, pointing skyward. Instead of the normal resounding bellow we were treated to hiccup, gurgle, phaaart and about 45 gallons of water being coughed onto the fo’c’sle head.
The racy looking ‘go fast’ mast remained with us until we arrived in Bremerhaven later in the trip when permanent repairs were carried out.
Incidentally, I’ve no idea what became of the trainee crane driver!
Kevin,
Been pondering what I wrote earlier. On reflection, I think the raked back foremast incident I described was on Asialiner, not Asiafreighter. Does anyone else remember?
Old 10th July 2006, 13:13

Neil Mc Mahon

Does anyone know where Neil is now.
Old 11th July 2006, 09:16

i met him in barra a few years ago im sure he told me he was working as a eng super for a russian tanker company regards kev.
Old 11th July 2006, 16:40

32 years before the mast 22years bosun'14 trips denholm.
Old 11th July 2006, 19:18

ian your only 47 what are you on ???? never heard of you in denholms what ships regards kev
Old 12th July 2006, 01:22

49 now.nordic talisman. scandia team.asiafreighter.dunelmia.anglia team.wellpark.loch maree .cast petrel(twice). cast tern .honshu gloria .corato .merchant principal.
merchant patriot.tfl. jefferson.northern enterprise.rocknes.rollnes.city of manchester.
_more than 14.
Old 12th July 2006, 10:44

rather strange ian some of the ships you mention did not carry british ratingsregards kev.
Old 12th July 2006, 13:11

wasn't always a rating,started as a cadet.
Old 12th July 2006, 14:40

just as i thought an ablach regards kev.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:59
Ray F Wickman

I sailed on the Asia Freighter and Asia Liner as junior chief engineer between 1972 and 1974, three months on and six weeks off. The two Pratt & Whitney gas turbines developed 30,000 SHP each and were connected to twin screw shafts through gearbox's driving Lipps controllable pitch propellers. Fuel consumption varied but at times peaked at 380 ton per day
They had variable speed shaft alternators which were used at sea. In port there was a monster 16 cylinder Vee 1000 kW Paxman generator which were a nightmare. To run a shaft alternator in port, the fuel consumption was about 1 ton/hour.
I believe they attempted to operate with heavier oils without success.
The gas turbines were eventually removed and they were fitted with two Stork Werkspoor TM 620 medium speed diesel engines which I understand were also a work up.
The chief engineer initially had to have a combined ticket I only had a chiefs motor ticket and had to take an oral examination after studying the manuals in Denholmes offices for a few days.
Old 12th July 2006, 18:54

hi ray many an engine change i did on them over the years the diesel genny on eurofreighter caught fire just off the pier in nj what a bloody mess i think these ships were 20 years at least before their time regards kev.
Old 23rd July 2006, 13:05
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
The GTV,S

I served as Chief Officer and Master on all four of the GTV,S Asiafreighter,Asialiner,Eurofreighter and Euroliner, I have really good memories of them they were terrific ships well ahead of their time the only thin that really spoiled them was an underpowered bowthruster that was always tempremtal. What made them really special was the Denholm Crews they made the ships .
After the price of bunkers started to rise Seatrain started to interfere in a big way firstly to increase revenue they went from Three high to Four high and as has been noted earlier stability was a problem.
Then Seatrain introduced their secret weapon "Commander Mike Novac" the man who introduced big Bertha the larger than life prop for single screw operation and the Blended Fuel Oil programme what a problem that was. How the Engineers put up with that I will never know,but they did and they made it work as has been said earler they were a special kind of Engineer on these ships,they had to put up with all the problems and to top it all they had Nick Konstntis at one end and Davy Hogg at the other.
I took the Asiafreighter from her lay-up berth in the Brooklyn Navy Yard to be handed over to her new owners in Kiel it was a sad day.
My best regards to all who sailed with me.
Seatrain like Enron was a house of cards and that is why the business failed
Old 23rd July 2006, 13:51
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy Tom,

I knew a had somewhere a piccie of the Eurofreighter, so looked all over, and found her, photo was taken in May 1972,I believe outbound from Rotterdam.
The Eurofreighter was built in 1971 for Scarsdale Shipping Co.Ltd.[Denholm Ship Management Ltd.]-London-31,038 Tons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eurofreighter1971-resized-a.jpg (98.3 KB, 160 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 23rd July 2006, 14:09

My location
Ahoy Tom,

Found you the "LINER" as well, if wanted a HR is available without frames.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Euroliner1971-resized.jpg (79.3 KB, 122 views)
My piccies also @:
Old 23rd July 2006, 14:24

My location
Asiafreighter

Hi ruud
Thanks for that very kind of you but I alrady have a similar one
regards
Tom
Old 23rd July 2006, 14:48

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Hi ruud
Thanks for that very kind of you but I alrady have a similar one
regards
Tom
Ahoy Tom,
You're welcome, as you said simular, because these piccies are the one and only, in my possession, and now posted for the first time on the WWW,so in fact unique.
My piccies also @:

Last edited by ruud; 23rd July 2006 at 15:08..
Old 1st August 2006, 00:50

Sailed with dougie on his last trip, he was 2nd mate. no medical because of diabetes.we put him in a chopper off Brest in a force9.Dougie died in France of liver failure.RIP
Old 1st August 2006, 09:24

My location
Good day all. Just back from 4 weeks holidays with the caravan(in sunny N.Brabant) so have to catch up a little.

Ruud, your photos of the GTV's reminds me of the only time I have appeared on
Dutch television. After the gas freeing ops we went to Rotterdam for removal of
the container and the two gas bottles. Was at the bottom platform for meeting the
pilot and noticed a crowd of people on the politieboot with cameras etc.
Mother-in-law says she saw me on the journaal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Andy ; maybe I missed something but which Dougie are you talking about.

JC
Old 1st August 2006, 13:05

i think hes talking about dougie naismith john regards kev.
Old 10th August 2006, 01:16

Happy days

Great to read the reflections on time spent on these ships. I did trips as Junior R/O on the AsiaLiner, Euroliner and Eurofreighter between 1977 and 1978. They were definitely far ahead of anything else at the time, and during my time on them, satellite comms had just been installed (the writing was on the wall for R/Os even then!). The four Seatrain ships were among only 20 merchant ships worldwide at that time with satcom. Although the ships were reasonably well equipped with Marconi kit, the satcom package made much of it pretty much redundant. One of our main activities was gathering all the Navarea 1 warnings from Portishead radio, travelling at the speeds these ships did, you had to be up to scratch with all of these!
I remember the crew lift, and the fact that it seemed to bang about in the lift shaft during heavy weather! Am I correct in remembering that there were "personal" crew fridges in the alleyways, one between two cabins - luxury! The operation of the microwave ovens were a mystery then, and the great mistake was to go down to the galley after a couple of beers, and cook an egg without *****ing the yolk, only for it to explode all over the inside of the oven (only ever did that once!).

I too remember I C Graham (Action Man) and often used to arrive in the radio room for a watch to find him using the satcom package. I saw him later, on the Dunelmia (SD14?) in, I think, Abu Dhabi when I was there with one of the United Arab general cargo ships.

Happy days indeed. I'll try to dig out the few photos I have and post them also.
Old 4th September 2006, 15:17

I remember being on a Port boat in the mid 70s at Shieldhall dock in Glasgow and we had the Asiafreighter astern of us. I went aboard to have a look at her engine room and was amazed! Lino on the plates! I almost had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn'y dreaming!
Old 4th September 2006, 17:52
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Asiafreighter

From a pilot's manoeuvring point of view, they were a total nightmare. The poor stability issue was frequently mentioned in conversation with masters.
Old 4th September 2006, 23:15

My location
Asiafreighter

Duquessa
I must disagree with your statement. I was Master and Chief Officer on all four of the GTV,s for a number of years and they are the finest ships I have ever handled sure we had problems with an uderpowered bowthruster and when we went four high stability was a problem but you must remember we had twin CP propellors.
Tom S