Old Blue Flue Mates - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
04:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Old Blue Flue Mates

User Tag List

Old 17th March 2008, 20:44

Not easy Pat I will concede but I witnessed Paddy put an a new eye in the Insurance wire following an incident on leaving the buoys in Hong Kong homeward (naturally). Now that was something! 50 years ago!!
Old 19th March 2008, 22:41

Pat,
Just read your post #50 again and another BF anomaly struck me. In 'the China' when we went on standby we all went fore and aft. In the British companies I sailed with subsequent to 'the China' the crowd went fore and aft when the Bosun shouted 'stations'. Standby meant waiting to go on stations.
Old 24th March 2008, 03:45
Discredited Member

Anybody know what happened to Richard (Dicky) Davis .... watchkeeping AB in MV Ixion 1959, from Shotton, Flints ??? He was studying for his 2nd Mates ticket when I last met him.
Old 24th March 2008, 23:19

Punter,
The name does not ring any bells. There were however, several studying for 2nd Mates around my time but some fell by the way side.
In the late 50s. McCaffery and Watterson passed and in the 60s chronologically myself, John Barlow(Wicklow), Mick Proctor (Arklow), Tom Proctor (Wallasey)
We all kept in contact with some of the 'old timers' like Hughie Davies and Theo Jones the most senior. There were several up for Home Trade.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:20

Punter,
I have been in touch with the Blue Funnel Association and apparently their was an AB up for Home Trade Mates/Masters in the 60s by the name Leslie Edmonds.
So that is 4 FG & 1 HT in the 60s

Bill
Old 29th March 2008, 10:25

My location
Anyone remember Jack Abbiss?
Old 29th March 2008, 19:39

Does'nt ring a bell Hugh. What about Capt A.R. Davidson a dour Scotsman retired around 1970.
Old 29th March 2008, 22:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Does'nt ring a bell Hugh. What about Capt A.R. Davidson a dour Scotsman retired around 1970.
sailed with my 1st trip as a middy on the Maron in 64, Mate was J.C. Rae, McEwen? bosun
Old 29th March 2008, 22:57

Rothesian,

That would be Mick McEwan. J.C. Rae had a fearsome reputation!

Bill
Old 29th March 2008, 23:23
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Rothesian,

That would be Mick McEwan. J.C. Rae had a fearsome reputation!

Bill
also 2 leading seamen I remember thanks to Hague, Dirty Dick and Al White, - J.C. was NOT my favourite nor I his!!
Old 30th March 2008, 01:53
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
I sailed under J.C. Ray. He must have mellowed! The Ni**** in the woodpile was the C/E Jackie Benn. But, we got our own back! (The whole E/R dept.!)
Dave
Old 30th March 2008, 10:00

Al White! what a character, unfortunately he had a tragic 'personal' accident on the 'Diomed' in the early 70s.
Old 9th June 2008, 12:37
Active: 1966 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflue View Post
hi ship mates, does anyone remember John F Kenedey bosun on theseus 1966
Yes I do - and 3 others. We refused to sail with him on the Glenfruin (ex Dolius I think). We were released in London and on our return to face the "court martial" in Liverpool we were exonerated. I believe that he was severly reprimanded for his aggressive nature. I belive he used to attend the local magistrates courts when on leave for his "kicks ". A strange man!

BW

John
Old 15th June 2008, 13:59

I was with him on Antilochus 68 had'nt changed
Old 17th June 2008, 08:37

Another Blue Funnel character, who every deck rating knew, was Mr Greenwood, the man in Odyssey works who decided your fate. He was in charge of crewing, and would call you into his office one at a time, and inform you of your next engagement.
I found him to be a very understanding bloke, when my father was seriously ill, he allowed me to stay coasting for twelve months for which I was very grateful.
I believe he was from Garstang in Lancashire, and had been a radio officer.
His boss, Captain Harris was another very likeable man, who had a lot of time for the wellbeing of first trippers. He actually appeared on my first ship, the Achilles while we were still alongside in Birkenhead, and sat down in the messroom with me and the other deck boy, Peter Rust, and talked to us for half an hour before the ship sailed. a true gentleman.
Pat
Old 17th June 2008, 10:37

Pat,
I would concur with your reflections on Greenwood. There was also Capt Ronnie Symons in the crewing department.
Capt W.T. Harris, who ran the Deck Boy school was the only Blue Funnel Master who was Extra Master and still with the China. It was well known that BF did not encourage one to sit for Extra's and did not offer employment to those that attained this qualification. Ironic, in that if I stayed with them in 61 they would have got rid of me in 68.
Also in the school was Kevin Eader, Adrian Donnan, Dennis O'Brian.
Old 17th June 2008, 19:38

Quote:
Pat,
I would concur with your reflections on Greenwood. There was also Capt Ronnie Symons in the crewing department.
Capt W.T. Harris, who ran the Deck Boy school was the only Blue Funnel Master who was Extra Master and still with the China. It was well known that BF did not encourage one to sit for Extra's and did not offer employment to those that attained this qualification. Ironic, in that if I stayed with them in 61 they would have got rid of me in 68.
Also in the school was Kevin Eader, Adrian Donnan, Dennis O'Brian.
Why is it Bill, that Blue Funnel did not employ extra masters? I would have thought that BF of all companies would want the most highly qualified men running their ships.

I didnt Know Capt Symons, Kevin Eader or Adrian Donner, O'Brian was a legend
Always called O.B.,he was a great bloke and taught us trainee deckboys all the basics of seamanship with patience and good humour. There was a story that, torpedoed during the war, he survived 47 days in a lifeboat.

One thing he did not tell us was the unrelenting drudgery of a peggy's job, the scrubbing alleyways and bathrooms on your knees every day seven days a week, the implications of serving 17 men with their meals, and washing up after them three times a day for 3 or 4 months . I know, we all went through it and it did us no harm, but had I known, I simply wouldnt have gone to sea.
Regards,
Pat
Old 17th June 2008, 21:42

Pat,
Quote:Why is it Bill, that Blue Funnel did not employ extra masters?Unquote
I believe it was due to giving the holder independence which was not in 'the China's' interest. Saying that, those up for Extra's from the BF were somewhat limited as they only had Third Mates experience but they were welcome into places like Byrom Street as lecturers. Those of us who had First Mates experience were usually heading for the Hong Kong outfits where they could readily obtain command for the two years required by the BOT for an examiners position. I chose NBC, liked the money bought the big house in Gayton and stayed.
Old 18th June 2008, 16:38
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Another Blue Funnel character, who every deck rating knew, was Mr Greenwood, the man in Odyssey works who decided your fate. He was in charge of crewing, and would call you into his office one at a time, and inform you of your next engagement.
I found him to be a very understanding bloke, when my father was seriously ill, he allowed me to stay coasting for twelve months for which I was very grateful.
I believe he was from Garstang in Lancashire, and had been a radio officer.
His boss, Captain Harris was another very likeable man, who had a lot of time for the wellbeing of first trippers. He actually appeared on my first ship, the Achilles while we were still alongside in Birkenhead, and sat down in the messroom with me and the other deck boy, Peter Rust, and talked to us for half an hour before the ship sailed. a true gentleman.
Pat
Hi Pat,

I also remember Mr. Greenwood, a lovely man, he gave me a good talking to when I joined my first trip as Deck boy on the "Bellerophon" in 1952.

He never mentioned all the scrubbing out and dishwashing though.

Trader.
Old 18th June 2008, 16:56

Trader,
No, It was a closely guarded secret. Half the lads on my training course packed in after one trip, solely because of the endless drudgery, the seasickness, the homesickness, and the lousy grub.
Still, those of us who stuck it out have never regretted it, I reckon it made a man of me.
Old 18th June 2008, 18:29

Trader/Pat,
It is too simplistic to say 'no pain no gain' although it does have a lot to do with it. I experienced nothing more or less than what I expected. I came from a seafaring background and was well drilled. Most of the crowd could not understand how I joined as deck boy with kit supplied to me by my father right down to the 'Hings' underwear. It also helps to have the right 'crowd'.
I was fortunate to sail on my first trip with Capt Laxton and the legendary Paddy Proctor who was a gentleman and to my mind the greatest sailor I ever sailed with in 50 years. I understand you knew his son Pat from St.Anselms. Paddy started in the Arklow Schooners. That first trip is so important and can make or break you. It made me.
Old 18th June 2008, 19:51

Well, you are absolutely right Bill, and you were lucky to have the right background, and even luckier with your first bosun.
My family were not seafarers, although my Grandfather was a ships master, he had died long before I was born. My father was a sergeant-major in the infantry, and his parting advice to me was, "If it wears a uniform, call it Sir"
the second steward was delighted with me!
As to the bosun; my first bosun was Bill Carmody, a miserable dried up character, who told me, "I know your Father, and if you think thats going to get you an easy ride you can forget it"
What amazed me, and still does when I think of it is that in Blue Funnel, they had a full inspection every day except Sunday. The line up was; The Master, the Mate, the Chief Engineer, the Chief Steward, the Doctor or male nurse, and the bosun.
These luminaries all wore white gloves, (except the bosun), and they inspected every space in the accomodation.They would go in the sailor's bathroom and pile in very toilet stall, peer into every urinal and wash basin, examine in minute detail the drains and tiling in the showers, it was mental, and it terrified me because woe betide the peggy who had not done a thorough job. even the gash bucket in the sailor's mess was expected to be sparkling clean.
That only happened in Blue Flue. I sailed in plenty of other companies and inspections were cursory affairs on a Sunday morning. Some ships, the Monksgarth was one, never had an inspection at all in three months.
Regards,
Pat
Old 18th June 2008, 21:09

Pat,
Billy Carmody!! Remember him well. Never sailed with him but knew him socially from 'The Sandridge' (Strouds Corner)... a real BF rigging loft. Frisco Rig and Heavy lift gear the talk of the day.
Old 19th June 2008, 07:07

Quote:
Pat,
Billy Carmody!! Remember him well. Never sailed with him but knew him socially from 'The Sandridge' (Strouds Corner)... a real BF rigging loft. Frisco Rig and Heavy lift gear the talk of the day.
Bill,
He was a bad tempered SOB all the way to Kobe, then his demeanour changed and he came in the messroom and distributed cards advertising the Surf Rider Bar, which he co-owned with his "wife", the Mama San. He said the first drink was on the house. Nobody took him up on the offer, apparently it was a dump.
Homeward bound, he reverted to his usual morose self.
Thankfully, my next bosun was Jock Sutherland, a typical wee Glaswegian, pugnacious and fond of the whisky, but at least he didnt treat you like a cockroach.
Regards
Pat
Old 19th June 2008, 07:59

Pat,
My recollections were totally different, but then I never sailed with him. I could detect there was another side but then is that not true of us all. Consider Br Ambrose!!!

Brgds

Bill