Captain 'Whispering' Davies and his seascape paintings. - Ships Nostalgia
16:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captain 'Whispering' Davies and his seascape paintings.

User Tag List

Old 13th January 2014, 10:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Captain 'Whispering' Davies and his seascape paintings.

This is a simple request, on a simple subject, from this simple soul simply seeking to see whether any Es of Es 'out there' would either be able to assist, personally, or - at the very least - point me in the right direction.

After 2nd mate's, in '61, I joined the Donga for my first voyage as a certificated, watch keeping 3/0, as opposed to the uncertificated but still watch keeping 4/0 I had been on the Eboe a few months earlier. I had the perfect mentor as Master, Captain Grassick.

Once he had confidence that you knew what you were doing, be it handing the ship in heavy traffic, or your ability with a sextant in inclement weather, you were 'accepted' and treated as his equal rather than what you actually were, very much his inferior.

His love and understanding of the 'mysteries of the deep' were 'released', with a passion, in his seascape paintings. I have always deeply regretted never having acquired one when given that opportunity. Can anyone help in any way or have I simply left my polite request over half a century too long? Thanking you in 'forever the optimist' anticipation . G

PS Have changed the name from Davies to Grassick, the latter being the CORRECT name of the Master in question. Thanks for pointing out my error Julian. Not sure whether you can actually change a thread title, once opened, so haven't tried. This PS is so that my error is not continuously 'pointed out' by all Es of Es reading!

Last edited by Graham the pipe; 13th January 2014 at 17:27.. Reason: Addition of a relevant PS.
Old 13th January 2014, 10:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

Sailed with him on the Falaba in 1967 and purchased one of his paintings. (where did I get the spare cash as a mere cadet?)
Were all his paintings different or did he repeat them?
Not sure what I paid but obviously worth thousands now!!!
Picture hanging in my sisters house and doubt if she will part with it.
Old 13th January 2014, 12:07

Hi Julian. The wonders of modern science never cease to amaze me! Here's me going back a few years and - within 17 minutes - Eureka! Very cheeky of me, I know but is there any possibility your sister could take a picture of it, sent it to you and then you, in turn, send to me via my e address, which you know? Just tell her it's a belated way of saying "Thank you" to you for the present you, presumably, gave her all those years ago. Cheers and "Thanks" - in 'anticipation'. G
Old 13th January 2014, 21:29

Graham,That`s a lovely story, I didn`t know Capt Grassick painted.
I sailed with him on the Katha 11.1.56 from Liverpool under my Paddy Henderson rating of Super numary(I spaced deliberately it looks wrong "supernumary" don`t you agree?)
If I remember correctly wonderful beard, more understated than Timmo`s waxen whiskers.
"Whispering" where did that come from? in my minds eye, I can still hear his clarion call of "boy" for his Burmese steward from his cabin to the pantry on the main deck.
His speech was beautifully modulated Scots - he must have come from Inverness (where the best English is spoken)
Old 13th January 2014, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Turner View Post
Graham,That`s a lovely story, I didn`t know Capt Grassick painted.
I sailed with him on the Katha 11.1.56 from Liverpool under my Paddy Henderson rating of Super numary(I spaced deliberately it looks wrong "supernumary" don`t you agree?)
If I remember correctly wonderful beard, more understated than Timmo`s waxen whiskers.
"Whispering" where did that come from? in my minds eye, I can still hear his clarion call of "boy" for his Burmese steward from his cabin to the pantry on the main deck.
His speech was beautifully modulated Scots - he must have come from Inverness (where the best English is spoken)
Hi Roger. Yes he was a fine man and a fine artist. Maybe - and I'm only surmising - he only started post '56. He, Grassick, wasn't the whisperer! The PS in my initial post refers.
Old 14th January 2014, 18:10

Sailed with him in 'Bhamo' 1969. I seem to remember he had his wife with him.
Old 14th January 2014, 18:36

When I posted my 'enquiry', even though I did, initially, get the name wrong, I never thought that almost immediately I would be in receipt of a photo of one of his seascapes. That was thanks to Julian Calvin who had bought one off Grassick and given it to his sister, who still has it hanging on her wall.

Last edited by Graham the pipe; 14th January 2014 at 18:44..
Old 7th August 2014, 00:17

My location
Capt Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
This is a simple request, on a simple subject, from this simple soul simply seeking to see whether any Es of Es 'out there' would either be able to assist, personally, or - at the very least - point me in the right direction.

After 2nd mate's, in '61, I joined the Donga for my first voyage as a certificated, watch keeping 3/0, as opposed to the uncertificated but still watch keeping 4/0 I had been on the Eboe a few months earlier. I had the perfect mentor as Master, Captain Grassick.

Once he had confidence that you knew what you were doing, be it handing the ship in heavy traffic, or your ability with a sextant in inclement weather, you were 'accepted' and treated as his equal rather than what you actually were, very much his inferior.

His love and understanding of the 'mysteries of the deep' were 'released', with a passion, in his seascape paintings. I have always deeply regretted never having acquired one when given that opportunity. Can anyone help in any way or have I simply left my polite request over half a century too long? Thanking you in 'forever the optimist' anticipation . G

PS Have changed the name from Davies to Grassick, the latter being the CORRECT name of the Master in question. Thanks for pointing out my error Julian. Not sure whether you can actually change a thread title, once opened, so haven't tried. This PS is so that my error is not continuously 'pointed out' by all Es of Es reading!
I seem to remember sailing with this real gentleman in Donga. He was very keen on carpentry particularly during afternoon sleep time?!
Old 31st January 2015, 21:20

My location
In fact I now remember Capt AJ Moore in Donga USA/WA service.
Old 25th August 2018, 11:43

Hi Graham,

I am the eldest son of Captain James (or as he preferred Stewart) Grassick.
I have a couple of my fathers paintings here so you have not "left it too late." I now live in Australia.

Cheers

Colin

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 26th August 2018 at 18:56.. Reason: Request from Colin to remove personal details
Old 25th August 2018, 11:55

Hi Roger,
Surprisingly perhaps my father was born in Glasgow and went to Edinburgh University (where I was born, not in the university though).
Yes he did have a goatee beard.
I inherited his great sense of humour, which he may have kept hidden as a ships master.
Cheers
Colin
Old 26th August 2018, 16:51

Hi Colin {Again!}

Have replied to your 'private message' but and VERY important, delete ALL your private details phone, e mail in particular from this 'open forum'. You can never be too careful even on this site for gentlemen ~ and sore eyes.

GGG
Old 29th August 2018, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Grassick View Post
Hi Roger,
Surprisingly perhaps my father was born in Glasgow and went to Edinburgh University (where I was born, not in the university though).
Yes he did have a goatee beard.
I inherited his great sense of humour, which he may have kept hidden as a ships master.
Cheers
Colin
Hi Colin,
I`m glad you found us here on SN, welcome!
When I said I could "hear" you father in my minds eye calling "boy" and could still visualise his face and manner. I cannot do that for many other people I have come in contact with over all these years.
As a Sassenach what do I know of Scottish accents? Well I married a Scots girl in 1962 and lived for 20 years Newport on Tay/ Dundee area and worked and travelled all over Scotland. But my wife was a qualified Speech and Drama teacher (Family from Inverness/Cawdor area via Perth and St Andrews) she always said the purest English was spoken in Inverness.
Wish I stayed there now!
Hope you stay around here now you`ve found us.
Old 29th August 2018, 02:07

Captain Grassick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Turner View Post
Hi Colin,
I`m glad you found us here on SN, welcome!
When I said I could "hear" you father in my minds eye calling "boy" and could still visualise his face and manner. I cannot do that for many other people I have come in contact with over all these years.
As a Sassenach what do I know of Scottish accents? Well I married a Scots girl in 1962 and lived for 20 years Newport on Tay/ Dundee area and worked and travelled all over Scotland. But my wife was a qualified Speech and Drama teacher (Family from Inverness/Cawdor area via Perth and St Andrews) she always said the purest English was spoken in Inverness.
Wish I stayed there now!
Hope you stay around here now you`ve found us.
Hi Roger,
Great to hear from you. I have communicated with Graham and sent him some pics of two of fathers paintings hanging on my wall. I have tried to post photos here. I seem to remember my mother telling me he was known as "gentleman Jim".
We knew him as a kind father but saw so very little of him as a seaman you know what I mean.
Anyway look after yourself and cheers from "down under"
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_2512f.jpg (22.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5268.jpg (119.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 29th August 2018, 02:30

Hi Peter,

This may not be from the time period but one of the few photos I have of my parents.
Cheers
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_25131.jpg (22.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:34

Today's date is January 3rd 2019 and as of yesterday I am the proud, 'official owner' of the painting to the right in Colin's posting of 29th August last year.

Five days from Queensland to Surrey ~ how's that for speed and efficiency? Again ~ this time on a open forum ~ my profound thanks, Colin, for a 'deal' that you're happy with and I am 'pinching myself' to see if it is true.