Salvage Equipment - Ships Nostalgia
00:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Salvage Equipment

User Tag List

Old 14th February 2014, 17:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Salvage Equipment

This is largely aimed at boomer guys but if you remember the heavy lifting gear kept on board MSVs/SMVs there was nice little paper produced by the Marine Services School, which showed you how the big lifting tackle was rigged. I don't know if there is any info available on salvage gear carried on Admiralty vessels online, but I didn't find any! However what I did find was a similar sort of thing from the good old US of A. Anyone interested can take a look at (if the link works):

ftp://195.24.65.5/pub/dive/Books/Eng...VOL2/CHAP6.PDF

Brings back memories.
Old 15th February 2014, 00:25
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
indeed it does.
i only ever seen the blocks rigged once.after the salmasters refit at birkenhead in 1991.
they was a bit of a mystery to me back then.
Old 15th February 2014, 11:32

According to Terry Morrice and Ian Dredge the trick was to reeve a messenger rope through first and then join that to the wire and pull it through. Last time I saw it done (Salmaster) we had to secure the moving block as it kept turning over probably due to the inbuilt tensions in the wire - there again I could be talking a load of b******s!
Old 27th June 2016, 09:56

On the Site at the moment is a video of a dive on a former White Star vessel which was mined during WW1, on one of the side films is the Lightning which crashed off Spurn Point in 1988.
The pictures are of various Lightings however the main event is the voice recording of the air to ground radio traffic as the incident took place.
If I remember correctly the RMAS were involved in the salvage of what remained of this aircraft.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn; 27th June 2016 at 10:32..
Old 28th June 2016, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
On the Site at the moment is a video of a dive on a former White Star vessel which was mined during WW1, on one of the side films is the Lightning which crashed off Spurn Point in 1988.
The pictures are of various Lightings however the main event is the voice recording of the air to ground radio traffic as the incident took place.
If I remember correctly the RMAS were involved in the salvage of what remained of this aircraft.
That would have been correct Chadburn, although by the late 1980s the salvage role of the RMAS, particularly of aircraft had begun to decline; cheaper to get contracters to do it. By the mid 1990s no more RMAS salvage input at all.
Old 29th June 2016, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
That would have been correct Chadburn, although by the late 1980s the salvage role of the RMAS, particularly of aircraft had begun to decline; cheaper to get contracters to do it. By the mid 1990s no more RMAS salvage input at all.
Thanks for your follow up Waighty, the RMAS must have been busy bearing in mind the North Sea was known as the Lightning Graveyard, fortunately most of the Pilots banged out and survived although they may have lost one inch in their height. Unfortunately one American exchange Pilot ejected but was dragged under by his parachute. The voice conversation was interesting bearing in mind the length of time the Pilot stayed with the burning aircraft in an attempt to get it back to Base for investigation.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 1st July 2016, 07:50
Active: 1977 - Present

Chadburn, Waighty, interesting thread thanks for sharing. Had the idea that towards the end of the Lightning program they had stopped recovery (because there was literally no more to learn) and would only undertake such for humane reasons.

Really stretching the grey matter, but was there an instance where 3 planes all went down within miles of each other in the N. Sea (Humber) perhaps even on the same day circa early 90s?
Old 2nd July 2016, 14:26

G'day FFP, I think you're right. I've got memories of Alan Ching (SALMO) rushing off to the guy who supplied the FV they used to locate the planes. I'm not sure any RMAS vessels were involved in the recovery ops for all three but Goosander definitely did one of them. 40 miles east of Spurn Head rings a bell.

I was on Salmaster when we were diverted to be on scene commander when a Tornado dived in off Bell Rock. We didn't find anything though. Went to Dundee to take on kit and experts and I was taken off for some reason I forget!
Old 5th December 2016, 19:24
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
Hmmm , (engages memory banks)
I seem to recall us (salmaster) being down off Kirkcaldy bay doing our LR5 re-validation thingy that we had to do every ??? (cant remember if it was yearly or every 2 years), and we were sent down to the humber (with LR5 still aboard) to relieve goosander. she had been working down there when 2 jets both ditched not far from each other. the powers that be deemed us more capable of a successful salvave op with the mini sub (and rov) onboard. if memory serves we retrieved the black boxes from both jets , then the usual panic about lots of overtime kicked in at rosyth hq (as usual) and we were told to come back. as far as I'm aware the jets were never recovered (not by the mod anyway).
Old 13th December 2016, 13:56

Given what you wrote Roo, it got me to thinking how many times had jobs/tasks been cut short because of finance reasons? I wrote elsewhere about taking Goosander up to Rosehearty, lifting the whalebacks, berthing at Fraserburgh to prepare new ones and then because of weather being told to return to Rosyth. Over a month later she was sent back up to finish the job having saved maybe £10K in costs. The RAF reckoned they'd lost nearly £5 million in lost range time during the same period! The other ports didn't seem to suffer this obsession with cutting costs, or at least we never heard about it if they did.
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:54
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1986

Does anyone have an explanation as to why an RN Salvage Depot was located in a landlocked establishment in Swanmore just north of Southampton?

An Item of equipment we were responsible for was a sidescan sonar device which I believe could be called in when searching for drowned aircraft. We were supposed to be on call to travel with the equipment should there be a need to do so, this would be 88/89 ish.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
Does anyone have an explanation as to why an RN Salvage Depot was located in a landlocked establishment in Swanmore just north of Southampton?

An Item of equipment we were responsible for was a sidescan sonar device which I believe could be called in when searching for drowned aircraft. We were supposed to be on call to travel with the equipment should there be a need to do so, this would be 88/89 ish.
It was one of those 'here's a space, let's use it' decisions as it was a former brickworks with a sunken clay pit (useful for floating buoys in?) but there might have been some logisitical reason - rail links, docks etc. It was an RN establishment initially used in WW2 for barrage balloon repairs and mainly staffed by wrens. As the war progressed marine salvage equipment began to be stored there. After the war it became a salvage depot - storage and maintenance. As time passed the establishment was handed over from the RN to the Directorate of Marine Services (Naval) who continued to run it as a salvage equipment base and also in support of Admiralty moorings and navigation aids (buoys, lights etc.)

On a similar topic I was amazed by the rationale behind the Ministry of Transport's decision to have a mooring equipment base near Chipping Sodbury in Gloucestershire for their Port Emergency Plan moorings (long since defunct) - very landlocked for a maritime support depot. I remember the first time I drove past the place circa 1970s, not far from Yate, and was amazed to see strange looking anchors and mooring buoys behind high fencing in the middle of the countryside! Move on a few years and those strange looking anchors became very familiar, albeit the MOD ones, when I was on the 'boomers'.

I remember the side-scan sonar very well; we had them fitted on the SAL Class salvage and mooring vessels and they even spent money sending some of us down to HMS Drake to do a side-scan sonar course for a week in the mid 1980s. Useful bits of kit and we used to carry out test exercises on wrecks and even the ground work of Admiralty moorings; the real purpose was to be able to use them if required by the operating authority, for emergency duties or other allocated tasking.
Old 5th August 2017, 13:51
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1986

Interesting history, wondrous how things develop, probably a housing estate now.
I think the lads based there had a good billet.