Port Caroline - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port Caroline

User Tag List

Old 30th October 2006, 19:50

Port Chalmers and the River Fal

For what it's worth, I paid off the Port Chalmers in the Fal on 13 July 1981 after signing on originally in in Jeddah on 10 April. The trip took us to Odessa for what seemed like for ever and then through the Suez Canal to Cape Town for apples (?). Then via Sheerness to the Fal for lay-up. "Dorothy" Ward was Old Man. (Photo in my gallery of the canal transit).
Old 13th April 2007, 07:27

My location
Chalmers / Caroline

I sailed on these numerous times over the 1974 - 1979 period, I was on the "wife on an ocean wave" trip in 1975 when I brought my kiwi wife back to the UK from Mt Maunganui ( along with about 8 other wifes and a full compliment of pax ). I was 2nd & Ch Elec - by far the most memorable ships from my time at sea - just wish I had taken more photos . . .
Old 19th May 2007, 11:06

My location
xmas nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer682 View Post
Two photos of the "Port Caroline" at Timaru, New Zealand. The first taken early January 1970 and the second in May 1977.
hi I was on the port caroline in the fifst picture . we spent xmas and new year in timaru and had a great time with the coast girls signed off feb in in kgv.
Old 30th March 2008, 22:22

can anyone remember a ab called charlie who was with port line in the 70s,he was known as a bit of a character who used to bronzie in the nude on the poop deck?any memories of him would be wellcome.we also had a bosun nicknamed steam on deck,i believe he was on the port st lawrence allthough my memory is quite vague nowadays.
Old 21st March 2009, 22:44

We sure built them well.
I never sailed on the Caroline or Chalmers but happy to say I was an Apprentice Electrician in Stephens where we built and fitted them out in...around 1967-68.....beautiful ships.
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:42

Was 'Steam on Deck' named Nicholson from South Uist?
Old 12th May 2009, 20:59

yes ,i sailed on the port chalmers 1971.Great ship ,and crew,all the way down to bluff,Timaru,i would do it all over again ,fond memories.
Old 1st June 2009, 16:27

Didn't know about the gangways lowering in opposite directions, but one other "distinguishing" feater was the Port Caroline had black blocks atop the derricks, whereas Port Chalmers' block were painted the same colour as the derrick booms. Server on Port Chalmers in 1970 and actually spotted Port Caroline (thru the black painted blocks) from an Australian P-3 Orion whilst on patrol over somewhere to the north west of Aus
Old 14th June 2009, 22:30

I sailed with the bosun (steam on deck) on the Port St Lawrence in 1971,he was a great man,he would walk along the deck dragging is size 10 or 11 boot's shouting at somebody usualy me and the other (peggy) I always kept on his good side made sure is dinner and tea were kept ready for him not burnt or cold,just right.Great times.If i remmember right the gangway on the Port Caroline faced aft,always remmember that gangway because it was a two section one which made ours look small,the crew's bar was in the aft end.

Last edited by MASTERFRITH; 14th June 2009 at 22:39..
Old 30th June 2009, 16:48

does anyone know where i can find a crew list for the port caroline from 1968-73 ??? i belive my father 'george michael landels' was onboard but would like to find out for sure.
thanks

Last edited by dadsship; 1st July 2009 at 11:51..
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:08

Have a look at www.bluestarline.org and clink the link to crewlists. You will find crew lists for Port Line as well as Blue Star as published in the magazines put out by the joint management company. Only the officers are included.
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:27

My location
I was a deck sprog on the Caroline and took a load of cars from Southampton to Colombo in early 1980 before going to NZ to Napier, Timaru and Bluff for a full cargo of Lamb and Tallow for Novorossysyk in the Black Sea. Cliff White was the old man and Mike Thwaite was the mate. What great days they were. 6 weeks discharging!!!

Mark
Old 14th July 2011, 16:15

hi all ... i hope some one can help me , im looking to get as much infomation about port caroline as possible ie, crew lists ,and sailing dates and places she docked during the late 60's and early 70's.
my father george landels was on board at that time and is coming up for retirement next year and id like to make a book of all the places he traveled while aboard .
any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Old 14th July 2011, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer682 View Post
So I am flummoxed too!!!!!!!
I am looking at sailing schedules taken from the Port records and newspaper shipping columns. Here's her schedule:
Melbourne May 30
Wellington 1300 04 Jun 07 0500
Lyttelton 1713 07 Jun 10 1940
Bluff 11 Jun 21
Port Chalmers 0815 22 Jun 25 1430
Dublin ETA 21 July
Liverpool ETA 28 July

Unfortunately, there was nothing about them that distinguished one from the other - even the names were the same length !!!
hi
do you have any more info about port chalmers on the voyage you are talking about ?? acording to the crew lists my father was on this ship july 72 and oct 72..
Old 20th December 2011, 11:04

Anyone remember Andy Henderson?

Anyone remember Andy? He was an engineer (maybe a 3rd or 2nd) on the Caroline and some other Port Line ships. He was from Timaru in New Zealand and was on the Caroline during the 1970's.

He just recently passed away. I'm his son and I'm researching my fathers life and would be keen for any information or memories.

Cheers

Graham.
Old 25th November 2012, 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsship View Post
hi all ... i hope some one can help me , im looking to get as much infomation about port caroline as possible ie, crew lists ,and sailing dates and places she docked during the late 60's and early 70's.
my father george landels was on board at that time and is coming up for retirement next year and id like to make a book of all the places he traveled while aboard .
any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
As a new member I have just come across this thread amd after all this time your request has probably been satisfied with information elsewhere. Just in case you are still trying to fill in some gaps here is a picture of the Port Caroline alongside in Glasgow shortly before completion on 30th August, 1968:
19680830018 PORT CAROLINE at Glasgow, F58 beyond_edited-1.jpg
Old 25th November 2012, 04:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - 1991

I flew out to Aden to join the Port Caroline in Nov. '77 and paid off in Avonmouth inMar. '78. I signed on her again in Falmouth Dec. 79, where she had been laid up, and paid off in Istanbul in Apr. '80. She had a lovely crew bar in the poop.
Old 10th November 2013, 18:24

I joined the Port Chalmers on my first trip in Hull 10th Nov 1977. Hull Roterdam to Tilbury then out to the red sea paying off in Glasgow early 78. I went back to the Chalmers not sure when but we were on the anchor for ages at Falmouth the ship had changed the whole of the stern were crew bar was had been blocked off I never found out why don't suppose anyone knows we had to use the po's bar. good days gone
Old 18th November 2013, 20:29
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1973

I have just joined the forum: I worked on both the Port Caroline and Chalmers as an Appretice Engineer installed and chocked up the engines and did all the spare gear for the engine room,also went on both sea trials ahh memories
Old 27th July 2014, 12:15
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1984

Just seen this forum.
I was 2nd Mate on the Caroline in 1979 and then joined her again in 1982 as Mate, when she changed over to Indian crew and became the Matra.
I did a dry dock in Shields when I managed to make an Indian crew go on strike...
Old 2nd August 2014, 06:51
Active: 1974 - Present

Beautiful ship where I spent the first 9 months of my married life with my wife Pam. Joined in Falmouth and eventually paid off in Piraeus.
Southampton, Columbo, Jeddah, Singapore, NZ, Russia (mutton for the olympics).
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:46

My location
Waddie, what you doing now?
Will send you a PM.
Old 5th August 2014, 06:35

Any body else still got one of these?

Mind you, afraid to admit that I have only just recovered it from the rag bag in my garage!

Can't imagine me fitting into it now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2 (3).JPG (133.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1 (7).JPG (131.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 7th August 2014, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddie View Post
Any body else still got one of these?

Mind you, afraid to admit that I have only just recovered it from the rag bag in my garage!

Can't imagine me fitting into it now!
Actually the T shirt is mine but I can't fit into anymore either!
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:35

I sailed with Andy your dad on the Port Caroline to South America on aJohnson Line charter, we were pretty close Buddies on that trip, though we had sailed on the Port Nicholson or the Port Chalmers before it's a long time ago. When he lived in the UK he lived in Hebburn and was married to your mum. I'm a new comer to the internet so I don't know if lim doing things right.?