Hungry Hogarths - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
18:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hungry Hogarths

User Tag List

Old 12th November 2008, 21:47

I was in the pool at mann island one day, and a mate warned me that there was a Baron boat looking for a crew. Sure enough, when called through, the pool guy tried to entice me onto a ship he called the 'Barongadies', the Baron Geddes in disguise.
I pleaded an upcoming marriage, and got a berth on a rock dodger. (Firth Fisher)
Pat
Old 12th November 2008, 21:53

Hi Caswell
Did you ever sail with Capt Douggie Wilson, 1st mate Arther Pollock,
or apprentice Allan Cann?

Regards Robert
Old 20th December 2008, 19:43

Robert Reid - Hogarth's

Hello,

I am trying to collect some family history on my grandfather. His name was Robert Reid. He served on Hogarth's ships but may have also worked for other companies. I believe he sailed on Baron Dunmore, Baron Inchcape and Baron Ardrossan.

However the only ship I can be certain about is Baron Dunmore as he was the captain of this ship when M/S Triton was sunk in 1942.

If you ever sailed with him or know someone who did I'd be very interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

David
Old 20th December 2008, 22:58

David, you could also try www.scottishshipmanagement.com

Good luck.

JohnT.
Old 20th December 2008, 23:21

Thanks JohnT, I'll certainly do that.

David
Old 6th February 2009, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb10 View Post
Hello,

I am trying to collect some family history on my grandfather. His name was Robert Reid. He served on Hogarth's ships but may have also worked for other companies. I believe he sailed on Baron Dunmore, Baron Inchcape and Baron Ardrossan.

However the only ship I can be certain about is Baron Dunmore as he was the captain of this ship when M/S Triton was sunk in 1942.

If you ever sailed with him or know someone who did I'd be very interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

David
Hi I was an apperentice in the Baron Herries and the Master was Robert Reid he left in 1953 to go to the new baron Ardrosssan his wife was from North Wales. Any help. Caswell
Old 6th February 2009, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post
Hi Caswell
Did you ever sail with Capt Douggie Wilson, 1st mate Arther Pollock,
or apprentice Allan Cann?

Regards Robert
Hi Robert I think we did have Wilson for one trip on the Baron Herries but we also had a Wilson 2nd mate who went to Cunard. Come back to me with more info Caswell
Old 6th February 2009, 17:22

CASWELL
I did two voyages on the Baron Douglas about 1949 or 1950, I am not sure exactly when as my DIS A only goes from 1951. Dougie Wilson was Master on both voyages 1st Mate was Arther Pollock. Capt Wilson was a Baron man through and through.

Regards Robert
Old 7th February 2009, 11:25

Some old hand I sailed with told me he had been an apprentice with Hungry Hogarths shortly after WW1. They had to provide their own bedding and there were places on the docks in those days where you could buy a "donkey's breakfast" - a sack filled with straw.
He also told me that they were chipping away one day at a deckhouse and the chipping hammer went straight though the wafer thin metal. They summoned the Mate who told them to get some brown paper and make paste with flour. They paper over the hole and later painted it over.
Mind you,some of the old ships in Brocklebanks were a bit primitive. The MAIHAR of 1917 had no fridge - only an icebox, and no running water. The feeding was not brilliant either. It was only when I went into tankers which bought a load of fresh vegetables in Port Said that I found they were cheap there. I was lead to believe greens were very expensive there wheras the opposite was true !
Old 7th February 2009, 14:21

Sidsal: "Some old hand I sailed with told me he had been an apprentice with Hungry Hogarths shortly after WW1. They had to provide their own bedding and there were places on the docks in those days where you could buy a "donkey's breakfast" - a sack filled with straw....."

It was probably like that on all ships at that time. In Hull and Grimsby, it was still the same up until the late '60s and probably until the demise of the fishing fleet.

John T.
Old 7th February 2009, 22:05

I have a photo of captain Robert Reid. Baron Herries

To daveb 10
Old 8th February 2009, 01:57

Has anyone come across a John Gordon from Pitlochry(that well known source of British seafarers),C/O on the "Baron Pentland" 61/62?A great character,a wee guy about 4'9 tall,with his mouth open!!
Old 8th February 2009, 16:22

trotterdotpom
Looked up your profile - love your sense of humour - hospitality industry !!
As the Royle family head would say - "hospitality industry - my **** !!"
Cheers
Old 10th February 2009, 10:28
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Baron Cawdor

Re the recent thread about Baron boats, does any one remember this incident....

The Baron Cawdor was one of three sister vessels built for H. Hogarth of Glasgow and carries the distinction of being the last coal burning tramp steamer under the British flag. She had called at Kilindini and discharged a cargo of coal into lighters and sailed for Lourenco Marques on 24 August 1957. Two days later the ship returned and signalled the lighthouse for two stowaways to be taken off. A day later a boiler valve gasket blew and
both boilers were shut down for the repair. The ship drifted north out of control while the joint was repaired. The boilers were relit but developed steam leaks in the back ends and had to be shut down again on the 27th. That afternoon the Master called for assistance giving his position as twelve miles off Kilifi. The tug Simba sailed and that night located the ship off Malindi with the international signal of two vertical red lights on the masthead
indicating ‘not under command’. A towline was connected and the two vessels headed for Mombasa. On the morning of the 29th they entered Kilindini, where the tugs Tiddler and Toroka assisted with mooring her on the buoys at ‘A’ anchorage. New tubes were fitted to the boiler and repairs completed on 19 September when the vessel sailed for Mozambique.
Three years later she was sold to Japanese breakers and arrived at Hirao on 16 March 1964.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:07

My location
Two sources I have make it broken up in March 1960.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post
CASWELL
I did two voyages on the Baron Douglas about 1949 or 1950, I am not sure exactly when as my DIS A only goes from 1951. Dougie Wilson was Master on both voyages 1st Mate was Arther Pollock. Capt Wilson was a Baron man through and through.

Regards Robert
Hello Robert Yes Ct Wilson did do a releiving trip as Master i seem to remember they said he was related to some one in management of Hogath.

Caswell
Old 9th June 2009, 16:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2016

I was a cadet on the Baron Belhaven and left when u guys joined.
Old 10th June 2009, 16:07

OH THOSE GORGEOUS, LOVELY WONDERFULL AND SIMPLY MARVELOUS BARON BOATS.
Way back about a million years ago I was half way up a net on the side of the
Baron Vernon which had manuevered alongside our lifeboat when she was Torpedoed. I fell back to the lifeboat along with others and the damned thing overturned.

Later we were picked up by the Baron Elgin and taken to Madeira. The only food they had to offer us were HARD TACK BUSCUITS full of weevils.

BUT SHE WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BOAT I EVER SAW
de Chas
Old 10th June 2009, 16:25

My location
Baron Belhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardrossan47 View Post
I was a cadet on the Baron Belhaven and left when u guys joined.
What year were you on the Belhaven. Ken.
Old 30th June 2009, 05:24

Smile baron elgin

sailed on her 8/6/55 to 27/7/55 haiti london with sugar.got i1 tot for trimming coal and 3 hours overtime for trip.
Big fight in haiti greaser killed and lots of bullets from the local vigilante police
mike bishop
Old 26th April 2010, 18:01

I sailed on the Baron Kinnaird in 1965/1966 and that was enough for me
the only crew I can rember are G Downie capt. Archer Kemp.cadet the other cadet was a snotty nose git who's name i can't remember and an sailor called puttnam a nasty bit of work but that was baron line for you. CRAP
Old 26th April 2010, 19:15

Yes i did a Baron boat gopt it of Prescot st, the man said it will tack you all over the would and it did,so of i went thikign grat.
It wsa my first ship as deck boy and i will never forget the Baron Ardrossan.
The food was so bard most of the time i did not no whot it was,we got back home 7 mouths later only did 5 ports,
Old 1st June 2010, 13:16
Department: Deck
Active: 1949 - 1954

Joined Baron Yarborough 1949, deckboy. Built around 1930 I think. Lived in open foc`sle, deck crowd in starb`d bow and firemen [arab] in port bow. Hungry most of the time, on BOT `Pound and pint` ration scales. No bath or shower, total bathing facilities a`bucket`! Only water supply a hand pump midships outside the galley. No fridge just a `stinking` ice box on lower bridge. Green stinking meat after a few weeks. Everything else full of weevils, `pea wack` had more weevils than lentils, and bread looked more like currant bread. She must have been most primitive of all Baron boats at that time. £7 10 shillings a month was my pay. I LOVED HER !

Regards to all.
Ken.
Old 1st June 2010, 13:58
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Nice one Ken,the last three words says it all!
Old 1st June 2010, 15:39
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994

My location
Baron Dunmore

I did not sail with Hogarths but did spend several years with Tanjong Shipping and Eastern Bulkers Ltd which were the foriegn flag venture of SSM

Sailed on the Baron Wemyss which became the Tanjong (?) then changed to the Kilchrenan. Had those piss poor SWD TM410 engines that replaced the Rustons. Also did another of the twin funnel jobs.

Was out at the Mitsui yard in Tamano for the building of three new EBL bulkers, the last one was the new Barron Dunmore. She was sold before she sailed.

Like I said, I did not sail with HH but I sure did enjoy my time with SSM in its other itterations. Sailed with many many Hogarth, Lyles etc officers and the office staff was from way back too.

Saddest sight was looking back at the lonely Baron Dunmore sitting at anchor while I took the Taichu (was named Cape Wrath or Race on building) out on her maiden voyage. Beautiful ships.