The Troll Boats - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
19:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Troll Boats

User Tag List

Old 26th January 2007, 11:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
I was Chief Off during that period I stayed until November that was my first ship in Denholms Correct me if I am wrong did you not used to wear a brown Boilersuit?
Tom S

Last edited by Tom S; 26th January 2007 at 15:13..
Old 26th January 2007, 18:06

Hi Muldonich,
Im off at the moment and george is on I will be back on board in a couple of weeks I usually get a week with gearge I will sound him out.
Old 26th January 2007, 19:09
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
Hi Muldonich,
Im off at the moment and george is on I will be back on board in a couple of weeks I usually get a week with gearge I will sound him out.
ok i sailed with meikle and halliday good guys i dont care what anyone else thinks denholms had lot of the finest engineers you could sail with
if it is george give him my regards kev
Old 26th January 2007, 23:22

My location
Troll Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I was Chief Off during that period I stayed until November that was my first ship in Denholms Correct me if I am wrong did you not used to wear a brown Boilersuit?
Tom S
Hi Tom ,yes its getting a bit frayed now, Some names I can remember at that time.John McSween, John MacDonald (CPO I think), Jimmy Young ,McNulty stewards an irishman called Brown & a little guy from Sunderland. I joined in Bremen & left in Dagenham. At present Im captain of the Scot Venture , a 3300 Dwt timber carrier running between the Baltic & UK & Continent
Brgds Jim
Old 27th January 2007, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldonaich View Post
ok i sailed with meikle and halliday good guys i dont care what anyone else thinks denholms had lot of the finest engineers you could sail with
if it is george give him my regards kev
yes aleck meikle and jim"the doc" halliday,what happened to them i wonder? kev
Old 27th January 2007, 11:55

My location
Hi Jim
Like you the memory is a bit frayed but I do remember some of the names you mention . Do you remember John Mulgrew the Chief Steward he had a bit of a problem with the drink. Denholms sent him for treatment and I remember he got pills to help him stop drinking and when it came time to take them he used to wash them down with a can of beer. Interesting therapy. Then there was Jimmy Meikle the Chief Eng ex Anchor Line I liked him I always remember he to told me he bought shares in Tesco when thy first came on the market it made him a rich man. He used to go on his Holidays to america his Aunt had a mobile home in Florida.It was an interesting ship.
Glad to hear you have done so well best regards
Tom
Old 27th January 2007, 18:15

Quote:
Hi Jim
Like you the memory is a bit frayed but I do remember some of the names you mention . Do you remember John Mulgrew the Chief Steward he had a bit of a problem with the drink. Denholms sent him for treatment and I remember he got pills to help him stop drinking and when it came time to take them he used to wash them down with a can of beer. Interesting therapy. Then there was Jimmy Meikle the Chief Eng ex Anchor Line I liked him I always remember he to told me he bought shares in Tesco when thy first came on the market it made him a rich man. He used to go on his Holidays to america his Aunt had a mobile home in Florida.It was an interesting ship.
Glad to hear you have done so well best regards
Tom
are you retired now tom i think i emailed you a couple of years ago i could be wrong though sailed with you on box boats alistair mac innes ex pilot was talking to me the other nite says he says he knows you regards kev.
Old 27th January 2007, 19:06

My location
Yes Kev
Took early retirement about six months after Alec retired, if you see him give him my regards. It was most likely the box boats I sailed on all of them for quite a long time
Regards
Tom

Last edited by Tom S; 27th January 2007 at 19:11..
Old 27th January 2007, 19:56

Quote:
Yes Kev
Took early retirement about six months after Alec retired, if you see him give him my regards. It was most likely the box boats I sailed on all of them for quite a long time
Regards
Tom
i think alec said he retired as pilot but he will never retire i heard hes now talking about building another house regards kev.
Old 27th January 2007, 20:51

My location
That sounds like Alec the property developer. He was one of the best pilots on the Forth and a gentleman Is he still driving around in his four by four
Tom

Last edited by Tom S; 27th January 2007 at 22:49..
Old 28th January 2007, 11:16

Quote:
That sounds like Alec the property developer. He was one of the best pilots on the Forth and a gentleman Is he still driving around in his four by four
Tom
yes tom still in his 4x4 he must have been a good pilot he got a write up in the paper about the qe2 i think .
Old 29th January 2007, 10:52

mississippi

anyone remember going up the river to baton rouge,yes it was mississippi mud indeed trying to remember if that was the berth that the tide was fierce and the engine room was on 1 hr notice case we lost hold on the jetty seems the crew were always moving ropes ,think all ropes backsprung,foresprung,breast etc were all out and gangways because of the tide i remember the berth was well exposed on the river if it was that river? anyone done that run on the trolls

Last edited by xdenholm; 29th January 2007 at 11:10..
Old 5th February 2007, 22:53
Department: Engineering

The Volvo story................Troll Lake, we were on charter to Volvo, taking these masterpeices of Engineering to the USA. returning with Japanese vehicles to Pireaus......
Loaded a full cargo in Gothenburg...full range......first port Charleston, second port Miami.....this trip no return cargo, back to Sweden....I was up repairing one of the Hagglunds Cranes....burst hose......then saw one of the deck crowd running to the accomodation......shouted down where was the fire....
No fire.....only an undischarged Volvo....Emergency meeting.....No export licence from the States to allow us into Sweden....the vehicle was stripped of all parts useful to Volvo owners... then it went over the wall ......splash..
Old 6th February 2007, 09:23

My location
No offence meant but personally speaking think this story is a load of crap.

JC
Old 6th February 2007, 13:05

exdenholm, yes did the run to Baton Rouge, which I remember was much as you describe. Can't remember which ship—one of the 'Bridge' boats I think. We ran onto the mud on the way up river. Took some 'wriggling' to get us off. Loaded soya beans, or something similar at Baton Rouge. SW cooling was on high suctions. On the way down river, the generators started to overheat, quickly followed by the main engine. We had to anchor in a hurry—not easy to do on the river.

Turned out the sea suctions had been sucking in all the beans that had gone over the side and they had completely blocked the seawater strainers.

Can't remember much more about it, except that I managed to get time off to go down to New Orleans. When I tried to get change at the shop in the bus station, the two women behind the counter couldn't understand my Scottish accent. Time after time, they asked me to repeat what I was trying to say. One of them eventually asked if I could speak English. In exasperation, I did my best John Wayne impression, and again asked for change. The two women looked at me obiously perplexed. "Wa-all, Honey" said one, "why didn' ya jus say tha' befo'".

Seem to remember that about 1969, one of the 'Bridge' boats hit one of the bridges on the way down river. Don't think much damage was done to either, but someone else might remember more about that.

Apologies to all if that's a bit off thread for the Troll Boats.

Best regards
Doug
Old 6th February 2007, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Shaw View Post
exdenholm, yes did the run to Baton Rouge, which I remember was much as you describe. Can't remember which ship—one of the 'Bridge' boats I think. We ran onto the mud on the way up river. Took some 'wriggling' to get us off. Loaded soya beans, or something similar at Baton Rouge. SW cooling was on high suctions. On the way down river, the generators started to overheat, quickly followed by the main engine. We had to anchor in a hurry—not easy to do on the river.

Turned out the sea suctions had been sucking in all the beans that had gone over the side and they had completely blocked the seawater strainers.

Can't remember much more about it, except that I managed to get time off to go down to New Orleans. When I tried to get change at the shop in the bus station, the two women behind the counter couldn't understand my Scottish accent. Time after time, they asked me to repeat what I was trying to say. One of them eventually asked if I could speak English. In exasperation, I did my best John Wayne impression, and again asked for change. The two women looked at me obiously perplexed. "Wa-all, Honey" said one, "why didn' ya jus say tha' befo'".

Seem to remember that about 1969, one of the 'Bridge' boats hit one of the bridges on the way down river. Don't think much damage was done to either, but someone else might remember more about that.

Apologies to all if that's a bit off thread for the Troll Boats.

Best regards
Doug
cheers doug, you certainly are bringing back those old memories , sea suctions and all, i only got to see new orleans by night, as we sailed by i mean,though i did see baton rouge a few times dont know if it must have been stressfull for bridge crew with those tides and no bow thrusters on the trolls when parking! but they done a great job none the less,the trolls were on paper pulp run, think it was 2 ton rolls, every time a hagglunds crane lifted one on high speed the lights flickered,shoreside crew were suppose to lift them slow speed.yes the laungage thing ,most of the americans thought scotland was either in england or france for some reason? but they all know what $ ,its universal was it the bridge ships or was it not the team ships you mean , the ones with orange boilers suits to?one trip i do remember leaving baton rouge and c/eng halliday noticed water in the M.E.turbo chargerhousing it was cracked! called into miami to "metalock it together," waste of time ,eventually we sailed 6 knts all the way to london, i was paying off that trip to, what a long haul it turned out to be.and hot!!
Old 6th February 2007, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post

JC
having heard the story of the missing volvo from capt thorpe john i would tend to agree kev.
Old 7th February 2007, 23:27

[QUOTE=John Cassels;106569]No offence meant but personally speaking think this story is a load of crap.

I am not going to get into an argument with you, again, but I am fed up of your derogitory remarks......if you cannot accept that FACT is stranger then fiction then so be it.
I am not going to waste my time contributing Knobend.
Old 8th February 2007, 00:00
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1973 - Present

It seems to pretty easy to get DJM to throw the toys out of the pram. I guess that is what happens when you spend so long out of the sunlight down the pit getting covered in grease.
Old 8th February 2007, 09:19

My location
[QUOTE=douglasjamesmichael;107034]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post

I am not going to get into an argument with you, again, but I am fed up of your derogitory remarks......if you cannot accept that FACT is stranger then fiction then so be it.
I am not going to waste my time contributing Knobend.
I think what you are trying to say is " but I am fed up WITH your derogitory
remarks ".
What distresses me regarding yourself and certain others is your willingness
to make a fool of other people - in this case Captain Thorpe. I only wish
he was here to answer you directly.

JC
Old 8th February 2007, 22:27

[QUOTE=John Cassels;107104][QUOTE=douglasjamesmichael;107034]

I think what you are trying to say is " but I am fed up WITH your derogitory
remarks ".
What distresses me regarding yourself and certain others is your willingness
to make a fool of other people - in this case Captain Thorpe. I only wish
he was here to answer you direct

Cassels - I do not make a fool out of other people......they do that perfectly well themselves.....take this as you will.....

As for Mr Sclater - the Orcadian - I do not attack peoples' professions kindly do not attack my University degree in Mechanical Engineering or my Trade.
Old 8th February 2007, 23:00

DJM I think you should change your name to Richard Head as you seem to come across as a might big one.
Old 9th February 2007, 00:37
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Gentlemen,

Healthy discussion is encouraged on this site however, making derogatory remarks about ex shipmates and openly insulting other SN members will not be tolerated.
A little more decorum please, or your posts will be deleted!

Thank you.

Last edited by Gulpers; 8th April 2012 at 14:31..
Old 9th February 2007, 01:03

Delete away as long as you delete all his post about me as well.
Old 9th February 2007, 09:03

My location
Well said Ray , completely agree.

JC