Alwyn Vintcent - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Alwyn Vintcent

User Tag List

Old 13th March 2008, 06:40

The museum have been presented with an alternative today, which would see preservation of the vessel in Australia to assist unemployed as a training ship! Another small historic UK motor vessel will be relocated shortly via ship and the Alwyn Vincent would be picked up on the way. Shall have to wait and see what they say.... far better than scrap I would think.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:50

bashfordg, do you have any details on Australian destination and organisation that will be responsible for the Alwyn Vinctent preservation? Does preservation mean static or operational? And the "small historic UK motor vessel" is....? You must have been a teaser in another life, Regards Jeff.
Old 17th March 2008, 08:18

Minor Update

Well "teaser" it may well be at the moment, however am pleased to report that things are looking a little more positive.
I believe it is hoped that the vessel will be returned to operation... under steam as not a great deal is required there.. still a lot of investigative work needed.
Sadly a lot seems to have been lost, there isn't even that much technical info about her left.
I think that these had about 750 ihp however could well be incorrect. Also the state of the boiler, the type of diesel "conversion" i.e what type of Cat engine used. Much seems shrouded in a cloud.
What is known however is that it is possible to save the little ship, however like always it is a question of economics.
It is hoped that the Alwyn will be able to make her way to Sydney. However all going well, she will arrive via Freemantle at least in a safe and clean condition.
So far that much is looking ok, however early days yet.

Cheers. Gordon.
Old 17th March 2008, 08:25

Thanks Gordon. Glad to hear that the destination is Sydney - there is more support there than in Melbourne for active maritime preservation projects. And it hurts to say that! Cheers jeff.
Old 22nd March 2008, 13:12

A little bit of info on her
Alwyn Vintcent (1958 -)
Builders: Cantieri Navali e Officiene Meccaniche de Venezia
Dimensions: 83 * 20 * 11
Engine: Single triple expansion 117 NHP 300 IHP
Speed: 10.5 Kts
Tonnage: 111 gross
Old 23rd March 2008, 07:42

Hopefully things are indeed looking better and better.

Now some help is needed.

It is possible that a lot of the data has been lost through no fault of anyone. So if anyone has drawing ot this type of ship or any other info, photgraphs, etc.. no matter how insignificant them pls let us know either via email or post.

Thank you Seamus, that is all correct. I dont believe that these were issued IMO numbers.. however am also curious as to class or survey that they operated in. And of course anything else..

A HUGE thanks too goes to to SAS Amatola... great help and genuine guy..

Update next week

Cheers

Gordon
Old 27th March 2008, 15:33

Update

Good news.

It now appears that the museum has or is about to formally accept the deal and thus the "Alwyn Vintcent" gains a new lease on life!

She is being inspected today for required work prior to relocation and these are planned to commence in the very near future.

If I can figure it out, photos will be posted in the next cpl days.

Cheers

Gordon
Old 28th March 2008, 02:56

A little sad at the moment.. the most recent pics taken yesterday.

Well here goes.

Here are a few "teaser" pics

These pics were taken yesterday... all thanks to SAS Amatola whom attended the inspection.

Thankfully she wont be in this state for very long!

Destructive things... seagulls

Cheers

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AV.jpg (144.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg wheelhouse.jpg (149.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Aft deck.jpg (147.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 28th March 2008, 05:14

Good outcome. Congrats to you and SAS Amatola. Minced seagulls for the cat.
Old 28th March 2008, 07:21

Thank you very much Jeff.

The "Alwyn" is actually the last of her kind and quite a unique multi-purpose little tug.

You will be hearing much about her very soon, she has a unique and special role to play here... not as a "museum ship" but as an actual working vessel able to provide exceptional promotional and training benefits and I would hope to be able to compliment and further existing restoration projects.

Stay tuned for more details... and pics in the next day or so
Old 29th March 2008, 10:06

Seagull eviction...

Those damm pests are all going to be evicted within the next couple of weeks.

Am very pleased to report that the little ship is in far better condition that I thought, and is pretty much complete.

Here is a little brasswork... the wheelhouse and a shot of the cylinder tops...

Taken a couple of days ago

Am very happy with her.

Cheers

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img2008-03-27_0083.JPG (36.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Img2008-03-27_0095.JPG (28.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Img2008-03-27_0086.JPG (42.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:13

Update:

This post is simply to issue thanks.

There are a dedicated team of South Africans preparing the Alwyn for her voyage "downunder" and they all deserve a special vote of thanks.

The Alwyn now has a little website www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com

(Yes the name was spelt wrongly as the site would not for some reason "permit" the correct spelling of her name.)

Thank you again guys, you know who you are

Cheers

Gordon
Old 4th April 2008, 03:07

Hi Gordon
Thank you for keeping us updated. I am in China so it will be a bit challenging to give a hand, but I am very happy to see your efforts are bearing fruit.
Congratulations for this and good luck for the remaining
Cheers
Valery
Old 4th April 2008, 05:17

Gordon, any details available on the voyage to Oz? Or is it too early. Once again a great outcome.
Old 4th April 2008, 05:32

Hi guys,

There may be an chance to ship in early June so am targeting this date.

Work is progressing quite well and things are slowly being worked through although there is a lot of chasing around over there... it seems that all sorts of things went everywhere, and now that the ship has been handed over, we also have to do the best we can to "put it all back together" so to speak, re plans, old certificates, etc etc.

The "Alwyn" was actually the first of them built, however not many photos of her remain whilst she was "in service" at Mossel Bay. She has, however been featured in and the subject of of a number of paintings... such as here

http://www.bluestarline.org/wallace_.../walley031.htm

I am often asked whether am "set" on Sydney as a destination for her.. and in fact the answer is no.

At this stage am reviewing a considerable number of "Expressions Of Interest" from local business within Australia as wish to initially place her in one area for at least three years, providing I feel that she will receive sufficient support.

All donations greatfully accepted.. (just kidding)
Old 7th April 2008, 13:15

Minor Update

Hi Guys

Well and so many thanks to those great SA people putting in a superb effort for the old girl. A little work was conducted over last weekend and things are looking great:

Finally we are actually being able to put together a lot about these unique little ships and their history. This includes drawings (for the modelmakers), photographs, histories, etc.

And now some accurate information. They actually produced 390 IHP at working pressure (200 psi). 140 rpm.

Have attached a couple of little pics of boiler internals: Not too bad at all considering she has not steamed since 1994!

Oh and a little one of the coal fired stove! Dont see many of them anymore...

Cheers

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside boiler (2).JPG (35.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Inside boiler (4).JPG (34.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Inside boiler (5).JPG (31.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Img2008-04-05_0017.JPG (58.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 7th April 2008, 17:21

I can't believe I am looking at a 50-year old boiler. It looks like it has just been put into commission... And this Stove is a real treat to see!

Looking into a boiler is like looking into the arteries. It really looks like you have a sound piece of engineering. I am realy looking forward to your success in securing this little ship.
Old 7th April 2008, 17:46

Yes, she is a beautiful little vessel! Now has a secure future and an excellent new home!
Old 21st April 2008, 16:55

Wonderful... I am glad to see she is going where she will be looked after and wont block the view of any yuppies apartments in Cape Town. Sadly I dont have any worthwhile pics of her in my collection to offer except what is on my website. We lost 3 of our classic tugs through indifference, at the rate things are going she could become the only survivor if JR More and Ulundi end up being dropped for something more "upmarket". Bravo to our friends in OZ and congrats to the team that are making sure she leaves with some dignity.
Old 25th April 2008, 11:04
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfordg View Post
........... The "Alwyn" was actually the first of them built, however not many photos of her remain ..........
Sadly I have none of her, but several slides of some of her sisters, if I can find them, I could post them in the gallery if requested ....

Great work for preservation, in a difficult time., well done all concerned.

Cheers

Andy
Old 26th April 2008, 10:44

Many thanks to all of you who express your support.
Things are slowly but surely coming together and all is going well for the old girl.
She is amazingly good condition actually, however that is not all that surprising since she last worked 8 yrs ago, and was stored as a "dead ship"...
Iziko too have been nothing but cooperative with the getting together of all her parts / drawings / etc, they too have played an important part in all this.
Word is fast getting around here in Aus, and I am forever busy... that is a good thing.
It seems a little odd, however she is for "technical" point a foreign vessel in South African waters now!
She will leave South Africa with a great deal of dignity, and I trust provide a unique link in that with the right "help" and attitudes we can indeed save some of these irreplacable pieces of Maritime History no matter where in the world they may be found.
Old 1st May 2008, 10:05

Hey Andy,
I would love to see your slides, if you can find them,
Cheers,
Seamus.
Old 5th May 2008, 00:01
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Thanks Seamus, as soon as I can find them in the loft, I'll put them up here, or rather in the gallery ...

Cheers

Andy
Old 5th May 2008, 07:02

Hi Guys

There is an early pic posted in the Gallery... taken about early 90's. There she is under steam, with additional liferafts fitted and still sporting the brass nav lamps which luckily I have stored safely ashore.

Cheers

Gordon
Old 10th May 2008, 08:44

Website Update

Hi Guys

Well work has begun... and things are already looking better!

My thanks to the South African crew... they are doing a fantastic job.

The website has now been updated in the Albums section with a few pictures taken by SAS Amatola on Friday 10th May 2008.

www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com

No more birds (see attached pic!)

Cheers

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg refuse.jpg (109.7 KB, 12 views)