PETRO MERSEY -ex- ESSO MERSEY - Ships Nostalgia
03:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

PETRO MERSEY -ex- ESSO MERSEY

User Tag List

Old 20th April 2005, 17:23

PETRO MERSEY -ex- ESSO MERSEY

PETRO MERSEY -ex- ESSO MERSEY built Birkenhead 1972, 12,323tns.
seen outbound from Avonmouth 1998.
photo courtesy P.W.Hobday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PETRO MERSEY.JPG (51.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:25

As ESSO MERSEY she and her sisters were regulars on the Clyde at the Esso Terminal at Dunglass,Bowling.
This is one of the older vessels,ESSO MILFORD HAVEN inbound in 1986 for Dunglass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOMHaven86.jpg (11.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 9th July 2005, 16:46

I sailed on 'Esso Mersey' in the mid-70's (joined in Bowling) and got my one and only trip as "Electronics Officer". The only difference between being Sparks and Electronics officer was that I had to change lamps in the cargo control room (about 5000 a day during discharge!).

First time on a tanker, I found out what a "smoke-room" really was, that being the only place you were allowed to smoke - a foggy day in Fawley town! On the up-side, you could get pissed by going outside and sucking in naptha!

Sadly, I found an entry on the web where there was an explosion on board and someone was killed, in the '80s I think.
Old 9th July 2005, 22:39
Super Moderator

After the Exxon Valdez fiasco, Exxon/Esso decided it would be prudent PR to remove the corporate name and logo from their ships.

Fred
Old 14th January 2006, 22:24

esso Mersey

This ship suffered a pump room explosion in September 1991 at Fawley. Two people were killed. One of these was my mate called Stefan Scott who I sailed with in Shell tankers.
I believe that the incident has been investigated recently and any information would be gratfully recieved.
Old 10th March 2007, 22:33

The incident was fully investigated by the MAIB and a full report was published at the time. It may be worth getting in touch with your local admiralty office/publisher and trying to obtain a copy
Old 4th August 2007, 20:19

Yes there were two fatalities, an AB died instantly in the explosion, the mate died a few days later in hospital due to shock as a result of his severe burns that he sufffered in the explosion. All very sad.
Old 4th August 2007, 20:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Esso Mersey. Full repoprt by MAIB here http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...y_pub_1996.pdf
21 pages long.

Last edited by R58484956; 4th August 2007 at 21:08..
Old 10th August 2007, 18:29
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by R58484956 View Post
Esso Mersey. Full repoprt by MAIB here http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...y_pub_1996.pdf
21 pages long.
Esso Mersey was not only my last ship before coming ashore in 1979 but also my last command, so I have many nostalgic memories, having sailed on her frequently since 1972. The pumproom explosion causing two fatalites which occured in 1991 at Fawley was a tragedy of huge proportions however lessons were learned from the investigations and shared with industry not only by the MAIB but also by OCIMF. Interested members can access the OCIMF 1995 information paper on Pumproom Safety on www.ocimf.com which documents all these lessons for others to benefit. The attached thumbnail is courtesy of Skyfotos. Chris Allport
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007-07-18-1553-04.jpg (101.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 20th October 2009, 19:38
Active: 1967 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by callpor View Post
Esso Mersey was not only my last ship before coming ashore in 1979 but also my last command, so I have many nostalgic memories, having sailed on her frequently since 1972. The pumproom explosion causing two fatalites which occured in 1991 at Fawley was a tragedy of huge proportions however lessons were learned from the investigations and shared with industry not only by the MAIB but also by OCIMF. Interested members can access the OCIMF 1995 information paper on Pumproom Safety on www.ocimf.com which documents all these lessons for others to benefit. The attached thumbnail is courtesy of Skyfotos. Chris Allport
Hi Chris,
Sad indeed, I was onboard the Mersey that trip!!
John Smith was the old man,
Hope you are well
Regards
Alex Chapman
Old 21st October 2009, 15:40
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Alex,
How are you keeping?
Thriving in France with a little consultancy work on the side to keep the grey matter ticking. Hadn't spotted this post - responded to you on the Esso thread. Regards,
Chris
Old 11th October 2010, 14:04
Active: 1967 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dev View Post
Yes there were two fatalities, an AB died instantly in the explosion, the mate died a few days later in hospital due to shock as a result of his severe burns that he sufffered in the explosion. All very sad.

Hi Larry,

Hope you are well, sad night, Stephan Scott was the AB, Brian Pickaver was the mate!!
Regards
Alex Chapman