Rocket Web Browser - Ships Nostalgia
19:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rocket Web Browser

User Tag List

Old 22nd July 2014, 19:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

Rocket Web Browser

I had this via a pop-up that I thought was an Adobe Flashplayer update. It turned out to be this 'Rocket' browser. It apparently changes your browser and bombards you with advertising.

I realised later that it said UPGRADE and not Update. You generally have to pay for an Upgrade, but this was free. It was more of a nuisance to get rid of than a threat. Malwarebytes sorted it though. I did however do a system restore.

You have to have eyes etc................

David
+
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:00
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

Hi David
Is that one called Rocketdock or something similar ?
Cheers
Andy
Old 23rd July 2014, 19:19

Yes, I believe so Andy. I looked it up and it is more a nuisance than a threat, but it was the difference between Upgrade and Update that I meant to flag up.

David
+
Old 24th July 2014, 13:01
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1985

Was it this sort of thing you were talking about ? the list of sites shown in the top-bar.
All of a sudden I found this would appear everytime I would try to connect to a site using Google Chrome.....I have no idea where and when it 'installed itself' in my programs but to get rid of 'them' I had to un-install Google Chrome and re-install it later.

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (17).jpg (51.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 24th July 2014, 19:43

Jim
Mine came with what I thought was a flashplayer update. It was the end of the day, and I didn't read it properly. It actually said Upgrade but I didn't notice soon enough. My McAfee popped up to say it was doubtful, but by then it was loaded. I uninstalled it, but there were remnants still on the desktop, so next day I did a system restore which cleared them. I have an excellent programme called Malwarebytes which is free to instal. so I did a Malware scan which found it and quarantined more files. I then did further scans and everything turned out OK.

As I said, it is a nuisance more than a threat, that apparently bombards you with advertising - even more so than normal with BT.com

The moral is 'don't do anything when you are tired, and take the time to read everything'. I had an email from 'BT' with all the logos, to say I had not responded to their software change notices and that they couldn't bill me - click here !! I doubt an operating software change - and there have been some from BT - would render their billing system invalid !!!!!

David
+