New Virus - Ships Nostalgia
20:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

New Virus

User Tag List

Old 3rd June 2014, 06:24

New Virus

Last night Sky News headlines warned of a very strong virus that is going to hit cyberland in the immediate future.
Considering the info source I take this seriously and scanned my laptop this mng as I got a msg to update my Java.
The java.exe file wouldn't hackle and remained in my download folder and my a-v (Webroot) prog showed this .exe file as a threat.
Members beware.
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Thanks for the warning.
Old 3rd June 2014, 18:20
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1964

Assume this is the one you mean, it's being getting all the publicity over the last few days. Although this botnet has been taken down now no doubt it will resurface elsewhere.

Gameover Zeus and ransomware Cryptolocker.

For how to protect yourself see here:-

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23575...r-botnets.html
Old 4th June 2014, 19:46

Getting repeated 'Java' messages on SN at the moment, which do not look valid. Strongly recommend don't click it. By coincidence, there is a valid Java update circulating at the moment (V7.60). If your Java is not up to date, recommend doing so via the inbuilt update facility, rather than clicking a stray advisory.

Regards ChasD
Old 4th June 2014, 20:27
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by R719220 View Post
Assume this is the one you mean, it's being getting all the publicity over the last few days. Although this botnet has been taken down now no doubt it will resurface elsewhere.

Gameover Zeus and ransomware Cryptolocker.

For how to protect yourself see here:-

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23575...r-botnets.html
Friend of mine in Scotland has both at same time.......so will send him your link.,

geoff
Old 4th June 2014, 20:57
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Thanks for the heads up on this.
BW

J
Old 5th June 2014, 08:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasD View Post
Getting repeated 'Java' messages on SN at the moment, which do not look valid. Strongly recommend don't click it. By coincidence, there is a valid Java update circulating at the moment (V7.60). If your Java is not up to date, recommend doing so via the inbuilt update facility, rather than clicking a stray advisory.

Regards ChasD

I have been getting the same on a daily basis. Good advice ChasD.
Old 5th June 2014, 08:28
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1964

There is plenty of evidence on the internet that unless you really need Java (internet gaming comes to mind) the best thing you can do is uninstall it or, at the very least, disable it. Most people don't need it. Remember reading some time ago that Java is the attack vector for around 50% of all malicious software.

I disabled mine over a year ago with no ill effects. If I were to go on a site that needed it, it would tell me so and then I could enable/reilnstall it again. But it has never happened.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:43
Active: 1954 - 1967

Java Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasD View Post

Regards ChasD
This thread came to mind when the threat Exploit:Java/CVE-2010-0840 turned up in my PC during a Full Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials.
A visit to Microsoft Malware Protection Center assured me that MSE would remove this threat.

The Full Scan took forever and so did the resultant removal process, so much so I thought the latter had stalled at one stage, but eventually the threat was safely put into Quarantine whence it was removed from my PC.

This particular malware was not picked up by my Free Malwarebytes and it also went undetected past regular MSE Quick Scans.
Further reading indicated this type of virus passes through most protective systems.

Keith

Last edited by Aberdonian; 19th July 2014 at 11:32..
Old 19th July 2014, 12:10

Always a good idea when you get an email warning of a virus supposedly doing the rounds to check - it just might be a hoax - there are almost as many hoaxes as there are viruses...Google 'virus hoaxes' or similar, here's one:-

http://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virus-hoaxes?ctst=1#Z

Aberdonian - interesting that MSE should have found something when MalwareBytes didn't as I think generally MSE is not that particularly well rated whilst MalwareBytes is one of the better ones. Bottom line I think is that some programmes find some things that other's don't. I'm running MalwareBytes and Avast - and don't let anyone tell you they can adversely affect each other - they can both be configured to ignore each other and they run quite happily side by side.

Incidentally Avast will tell you when programmes like java needs updating so you don't have to rely on suspect emails...
Old 19th July 2014, 12:43
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Last night Sky News headlines warned of a very strong virus that is going to hit cyberland in the immediate future.
Considering the info source I take this seriously and scanned my laptop this mng as I got a msg to update my Java.
The java.exe file wouldn't hackle and remained in my download folder and my a-v (Webroot) prog showed this .exe file as a threat.
Members beware.
Thanks for the heads up, I've taken R719220's path and uninstalled it altogether. It is a two minute job to put it back if some software objects
I recall hearing a similar warning about the constant updates for Adobe Flash Player being interfered with by the lowlife and I now ignore these popups and go direct to Adobe site to download any updates.

Mike