Duff - Ships Nostalgia
04:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Duff

User Tag List

Old 3rd March 2013, 20:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Duff

As time goes on we all look back at our time at sea and certain things spring up.(Nostalgia)
I have been on the INTERNET getting some recipes for that wonderful staple, Duff (what won't fatten will fill).
I have tried several of the recipes but they don't seem to be right.
Maybe a ships cook or second cook and baker point me in the right direction and I can turn out a good DUFF.
We had several variations but the main one was with dried fruit.
Would be grateful for secret recipe.
Old 3rd March 2013, 23:52
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

morning lakercapt.sn supporter.heres a steam pudding that will do the job,1.5cups of flour.one 1/4 teaspoon of salt.1 teaspoon of baking powder.3 teaspoons of sugar,1 tablespoon of butter.milk to mix.sift flour,salt and baking powder together,add sugar.rub in butter and mix to a soft dough with sufficiant milk.place in a greasedbasin.mix,and pour the following syrup over:-2 tablespoons sugar,1 tablespoon golden syrup or honey.and 1 cup boiling water.dissolve sugar and golden syrup in boiling water.do not cover basin.stand basin in a saucepan of boiling water(water to come half-way up the side of basin).put lid on saucepan and steam 3/4 of an hour.try it and enjoy.ben27
Old 4th March 2013, 03:58
Department: Navigation
Active: 1962 - 1993

Hey Ben 27 - Thanks for that - it's years and years and years since I last had Duff.
I can't wait to get down to the supermarket to get all the gear, and give it a go.
Keep posting - a post a day keeps the doctor away - that's what I reckon.
Old 4th March 2013, 05:33
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Board of Trade Duff, now that brings back memories together with Spotted Dick and Oxtail Jardinere on Thursday nights dinner and of course 14 legged seagull with bread sauce for Sunday lunch.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:55

Hi again ben 27,
Right then, Was it Einstien who said that ? [the E=Mc (squared) guy]
Come to think of it I think it might have been.
The version I heard though (the Scottish Version) was:-
"X" --- an Unknown Quantity, and
"Spurt" ----- a drip under pressure.
I'm off to the supermarket shortly (I go late in the day, as that's when they do the "markdowns" on the prices ).
I'm the worlds worst cook, as I never had to do it at sea, so never really learned the art.
I'll have a go though, and if successfull it'll give me something to brag about to the ladies who run the local RSL club when I go there on Friday.
In fact, I might even be a bit more cunning, and talk one of them into cooking it for me.
They're really good cooks, so they are. Real country ladies.
Aye, the Board of Trade stuff was good.

Last edited by oldman 80; 4th March 2013 at 06:58.. Reason: inclusion of Hi again ben
Old 4th March 2013, 12:29

My location
Thanks Ben27 I will give it a try but as the golden syrup is tough to find here I will use maple syrup in its place unti I get to a specially shop that sells the syrup.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
Thanks Ben27 I will give it a try but as the golden syrup is tough to find here I will use maple syrup in its place unti I get to a specially shop that sells the syrup.
No problem with the golden stuff where I am in OZ - I got a jar last night at the IGA supermarket.
Old 9th March 2013, 11:52

My location
Hi lakercapt, This is from my old B.O.T. cookbook....4oz breadcrumbs,4oz flour (plain),1teaspoon baking powder, a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of mixed spice, 2 oz brown sugar, 2 oz fat (lard/dripping) 1 1/2 oz currants 1 1/2 oz raisins, 1/2 oz mixed peel and 1 dessert spoonful of treacle.
Sieve flour salt and baking powder together, add spice. Rub in the fat then add all other ingredients. mix the treacle with a little water together and make into a "slack" mix. Put into a greased bowl, cover with cloth, place in boiling water to cover and boil for 2 1/2 hours or steam for 3 hours. Serve with custard and enjoy.
Old 9th March 2013, 13:58
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Not only a failure to specify the fat as suet but I would have said that it would come out the wrong shape for elephant's tool.
Old 10th March 2013, 01:36

I tried out ben27's duff recipe yesterday and must say it was'nt too bad, maybe a bit generous with the salt and sugar, but i enjoyed it.
Perhaps with a bit of tweaking, like an addition of currants or dried fruit to flavour it up a bit.

Kind Regards Jim Morrison
Old 10th March 2013, 05:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Not only a failure to specify the fat as suet but I would have said that it would come out the wrong shape for elephant's tool.
Revelation. 21
[1] And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
[2] And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
[3] And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
[4] And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
[5] And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
[6] And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
[7] He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
[8] But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
[9] And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
[10] And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
[11] Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
[12] And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
[13] On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
[14] And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
[15] And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
[16] And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
[17] And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
[18] And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
[19] And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
[20] The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
[21] And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
[22] And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
[23] And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
[24] And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
[25] And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
[26] And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.
[27] And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Old 10th March 2013, 14:35

My location
Red face

Quote:
Failure to understand what you,re on about!!
Old 10th March 2013, 19:35

Thanks to ben27 and Alan Tyler - tried your recipes for Duff and found them to be very good. Made and enjoyed a very good Merchant Navy Duff today.
Old 10th March 2013, 19:54
Active: 1963 - 1972

My location
Hi

I posted pictures from Nautical Cookery Book 1928 and one of the pages asked for was for Plum Duff.

Here's the link:

Plum Duff

Last edited by Bridie; 10th March 2013 at 19:57..
Old 10th March 2013, 20:12

My location
Thanks Guys
Now I have the recipes stored and am in the process of trying them.
To hell with the waist line!!!!
Both brought back memories of serving my time with Ropners (hence what won't fatten will fill)
Old 10th March 2013, 21:05
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Hi lakercapt, This is from my old B.O.T. cookbook....4oz breadcrumbs,4oz flour (plain),1teaspoon baking powder, a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of mixed spice, 2 oz brown sugar, 2 oz fat (lard/dripping) 1 1/2 oz currants 1 1/2 oz raisins, 1/2 oz mixed peel and 1 dessert spoonful of treacle.
Sieve flour salt and baking powder together, add spice. Rub in the fat then add all other ingredients. mix the treacle with a little water together and make into a "slack" mix. Put into a greased bowl, cover with cloth, place in boiling water to cover and boil for 2 1/2 hours or steam for 3 hours. Serve with custard and enjoy.
Alan, the ingredients look great,however are the oz measures correct. It would not make very large duff. Is that per man.??

Last edited by John Rogers; 11th March 2013 at 18:19..
Old 10th March 2013, 22:45

My memory is a bit hazy but weren't duffs at one time cooked in the galley steam cooker. Perhaps it was just tankers that had the steam cookers ?. I was on a couple of tankers 45/47 and they had steam cookers. On the British Dragoon in Abadan as the galley stove remained unlit during loading the steam cooker was used for all meals. I can't remember about the duff aboard but as she was a very poor feeder the minimum dried fruit would have been used to maintain the low feeding standards we endured. I think the elf-n-safety clamped down on the use of these cookers.
Old 11th March 2013, 06:48

Well I got mine cooked O.K.
It was Good despite the fact that I am the worlds worst cook.
Some of the local ladies are going to give it a go down the club next week, or the week after, when the painters get out of the kitchen.
Thanks again, old timer ben 27.
Old 11th March 2013, 12:12
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Failure to understand what you,re on about!!
Alan, I put the elephant bit, rather boring, story elsewhere on SN - if I stumble across it again I'll post. But surely it should be suet rather than another fat shouldn't it?
Old 11th March 2013, 13:26

I think suet and lard are more or less the same thing, just from different animals.

Duff is crap anyway, can someone tell me how to make chocolate eclairs?

The Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse seem to have invaded Oldman 80's computer .... is this the beginning of the end? Don't say the Mayans were serious after all!

John T
Old 11th March 2013, 13:40
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
I think suet and lard are more or less the same thing, just from different animals.

Duff is crap anyway, can someone tell me how to make chocolate éclairs?

The Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse seem to have invaded Oldman 80's computer .... is this the beginning of the end? Don't say the Mayans were serious after all!

John T
Choux Pastry for éclairs,Beef suet for the steamed puddings
Ray
Old 11th March 2013, 13:44
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman 80 View Post
No problem with the golden stuff where I am in OZ - I got a jar last night at the IGA supermarket.
No problems in NS I get mine at the Atlantic Superstore.

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 11th March 2013, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
Choux Pastry for éclairs,Beef suet for the steamed puddings
Ray
Thanks Ray. Is that the Chattanooga Choux Choux?

John T
Old 11th March 2013, 16:05

My location
Quote:
Alan, I put the elephant bit, rather boring, story elsewhere on SN - if I stumble across it again I'll post. But surely it should be suet rather than another fat shouldn't it?
Just checked the recipe again and it just says "fat"
Old 11th March 2013, 16:18

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Allan, the ingrediants look great,however are The oz correct.It would not make very large duff. Is that per man.
Well spotted, correct measures wrong recipe, that was for Plum pudding!! now for Plum Duff....1/2lb flour, 1/2lb breadcrumbs, 1/2 lb suet, 3oz each of currants and sultanas and raisins, 1oz peel, 1 tablespoon syrup, 1 teaspoonful spice, 3oz sugar, 2 eggs and milk to mix. Clean and stone the fruit, chop the suet and peel and mix all the dry ingredients. Warm the syrup in a little milk and add to dry mix, beat up the eggs with sufficient milk to make the Alan. mixture to a dropping consistency, put in a greased basin cover with g/proof paper and steam for 4 hours. Hope this sounds a bit better