Indo China Steam Navigation - Page 11 - Ships Nostalgia
07:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Indo China Steam Navigation

User Tag List

Old 29th October 2016, 10:50

There is a little known book titled "Beancaker to Boxboat", by Dick and Kentwell. It has a very comprehensive chapter about ICSN with many photos, plus other chapters about CNCo and China Merchants and Douglas Shipping, etc. Worth getting hold of. The Amazon one is expensive = 60, but Abebooks.com in US has it for $24 second-hand (not on their UK website where it is also expensive - but on their USA website).
Old 29th October 2016, 13:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1951 - 1959

Thanks for the tip Peter. All this info is quite fascinating, and it is taking a lot of time getting caught up, something that us oldies are running out of. Reading stuff like this does fire up the old boiler, and memories are starting up.
Old 1st November 2016, 09:41

The November issue of UKs "Sea Breezes" magazine has a feature article titled "Eastern Saga" by Jon Joyce, all about the E/Moon trouble with the red guards in Shanghai. John Joyce was there. Robert MacDonald was c/o there and he has also written about it all here, early in these ships nostalgia pages about ICSN. Robert also has written lots about the inside workings of the HK office and about the Keswicks. Robert had a bad stroke a few years ago and I have not heard from him since. When I visited Dick Hudson in his retirement he gave me copies of office letters about the E/Moon incident. Very illuminating reading. But everyone seems to have a different story. I sailed with Greg Bannatyne 2/o after the incident and he was still badly effected by it all. Peter B.
Old 18th November 2016, 23:54
Active: 1959 - 1998

I sailed with Jardines from 1959 until 1966 on "Eastern Queen"," Eastern Argosy",
"Eastern Star", Eastern Glory", "Hang Sang", "Ho Sang". A good company. Favourite was the "Queen". The "Star" was a mess at that time. The master was Tommy Marr. Just out of dock (HK & Whampoa) and needed plenty of remedial action. Shanghai wasn't bad before Mao's madness. John Arthur.
Old 19th November 2016, 02:23
Department: Navigation
Active: 1952 - 2010

John,

Good to see your familiar old name is now on the SN list .You'll have lots of fun.

Nick
Old 15th December 2016, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarthur View Post
I sailed with Jardines from 1959 until 1966 on "Eastern Queen"," Eastern Argosy",
"Eastern Star", Eastern Glory", "Hang Sang", "Ho Sang". A good company. Favourite was the "Queen". The "Star" was a mess at that time. The master was Tommy Marr. Just out of dock (HK & Whampoa) and needed plenty of remedial action. Shanghai wasn't bad before Mao's madness. John Arthur.
As an engineer, I wonder if you had any experience with the Tak Sang or Lok Sang? I am curious about the machinery - steam engine and boilers.
Old 15th December 2016, 22:38

As an engineer, John, I wonder if you have any information on the steam engine and boilers on the Tak Sang or Lok Sang.
Old 15th December 2016, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTZ View Post
As an engineer, John, I wonder if you have any information on the steam engine and boilers on the Tak Sang or Lok Sang.
BTZ;2303737
Sorry, but those two ships had been sold before or shortly after I joined the company in 1959. I'd be happy to answer details on the others. JWA.
Old 15th December 2016, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry Norton View Post
Is their anyone out there ex Eastern Ships
garry Norton;607541
I sailed on all four steam turbine propelled Eastern ships. The best were the "Queen" and the"Argosy". Both built by Dennys of Dumbarton.
jwarthur.
Old 16th December 2016, 04:47

Quote:
Hello BTZ
I sailed as 3/E on Loksang about 66 years ago and have fogotten a bit but I may be able to help.
She had triple expansion steam engine that was lightweight and with balance weights on the crank webs. Had to watch your thumb was not sliced off when feeling around bottom ends. She was fitted with poppet valves on the HP and LP cylinders operated by cams. Cam clearance had to be checked every time after FWE while everything was hot and expanded. Rpms were 120. Had 3, three furnace Scoth boilers, from memory 180 or 200 PSI and superheated steam at 650 fah. All auxillarries were steam, 2 generators,110volt DC usual air pump, reversing gear, Mischell thrust and conventional gland packed stern tube. She was a sweet running job, never any trouble. Hope this helps you.
Old 16th December 2016, 06:19

Hi Fergie. Are you Sid Ferguson? I am interested in learning more about the passenger accommodation on postwar Loksang and Taksang. Was any of that still in use when you sailed on Loksang or had the passenger cabins been taken over by the officers at that time. There probably would have been original tween deck portholes (aft?) for deck passenger carriage but probably sealed up later and only used as cargo spaces. I have lots of info about all the ships from way way back including deck plans, but only a couple of online photos of Loksang/Taksang. From Peter Ballantyne.
Old 16th December 2016, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlball View Post
Hi Fergie. Are you Sid Ferguson? I am interested in learning more about the passenger accommodation on postwar Loksang and Taksang. Was any of that still in use when you sailed on Loksang or had the passenger cabins been taken over by the officers at that time. There probably would have been original tween deck portholes (aft?) for deck passenger carriage but probably sealed up later and only used as cargo spaces. I have lots of info about all the ships from way way back including deck plans, but only a couple of online photos of Loksang/Taksang. From Peter Ballantyne.
No I am Fergus Pearce. Loksang had accom for I think 8 passengers in 2 berth cabins. All were in the bridge block on Starboard side. Port side had a smoke room and sparks cabin. Deck passengers were carried aft of the accom on 4 & 5 hatch covers with access to upper tween decks. Steel fence separated deck passengers from all other parts of the ship with armed white Russian guards on duty at the door. Deck and engine crew were in the poop block. Mates and doctor were on Starboard side of engine accom block with engineers on Port side. Guards accom was on boat deck aft and overlooking deck passengers. I have pics of all the deck passenger fences removed, 2 lifeboats from poop removed, but all these were in operation in my time on her. Drawings in alleyways had her listed as a SEAC (South East Asia Command) class coaster, but launched after hostilities ended. Understand she was uncompleted when Jardines bought her. A very long time ago, but hopes this helps you.
Old 16th December 2016, 08:06

Thanks for the info on Loksang. Sounds to be identical layout to the pre-war Taksang and Wingsang of which I have the deck plans, except that those earlier ships had the passenger cabins (for 12) on both sides of the forward midship house with a combined lounge/saloon across the forward-most end, then the deck and engineer cabins immediately aft of this. They also had more cabins and another saloon on the main deck below these cabins for about 30 first class Chinese passengers. A segregation wanted as much by the Chinese as the Europeans in those days.
Old 16th December 2016, 14:51

Tak Sang

Made error in name. Thanks to John for his response, and many thanks to Fergus for his details.

I can remember Bob Houghton, a good friend, as second engineer on the Tak Sang in 1958, I wonder if you can remember anymore names.

I now recall the main features of the engine. Would you remember the name of the builder/engines?

Yes, it certainly has been a long time ago, and I am glad you responded.

Thanks, mate.
Bob

Last edited by BTZ; 16th December 2016 at 14:57.. Reason: My error in name.
Old 17th December 2016, 22:43

Btz

Re - TakSang
Hullo Bob,
Some names you may remember,
Bill Roe (C/E) - passed away- Sydney.
Bill Carris (C/E) - Moved to Hervey Bay from Gold Coast about 2010.
Dave Wilson(Mate) - Brisbane ?
Fred Christie ( Master) - Passed away about 2010.
Dick Hudson ( C/E, Sup't) - Noosa.
Don Isbister ( E) - Gold Coast.

I'm not sure whether any of these people were on the Tak and Lok when you were there. They were in the company before me (1959) ,so you may remember them.
All the best for the festive season. John Arthur.
Old 17th December 2016, 23:42

Tak Sang

Thanks John Arthur. I sailed with all the officers on your list except Fred Christie. However, I know him well, and his family, as we lived in the same Jardine building on Boundary Street.

Do you have further details on the machinery? Who built it and where? I sailed on her briefly but don't have any notes. Bob Houghton was the second engineer, after which he moved to Western Canada working with Syncrude in the Oil Sands. He is retired now and living in the USA.

Compliments of the season and happy new year,
Bob
Old 18th December 2016, 00:05

Quote:
Thanks John Arthur. I sailed with all the officers on your list except Fred Christie. However, I know him well, and his family, as we lived in the same Jardine building on Boundary Street.

Do you have further details on the machinery? Who built it and where? I sailed on her briefly but don't have any notes. Bob Houghton was the second engineer, after which he moved to Western Canada working with Syncrude in the Oil Sands. He is retired now and living in the USA.

Compliments of the season and happy new year,
Bob
I have it as hull builders Short Bros., and engine builders as North Eastern Marine. Launched 7/11/45, commissioned 3/46, yard No 489,
o/n 180835
Old 18th December 2016, 02:14

Google = "The sunderland site page 079 - Peter Searl's website". Page 2 of the list of Short Bros ships built has some details of Loksang and Taksang, including of the engines and the voyages. As built had 12 cabin and 200 deck passengers. Peter Ballantyne
Old 22nd December 2016, 06:12

Seasons greetings to all. Anybody out there ever sail on any of the ICSN Hansa class ships = CHAK SANG 1931gt (1947-49 (sabotaged)), CHOY SANG 1919 gt (1947-60), CHUN SANG 2808gt (1949-56). Also a report of a fourth one, probably managed not owned. They seem quite small ships and low powered, with 2 hatches forward and one aft. Presumably all on Calcutta line altho at least one also tried on a Bangkok - Japan run. The full round voyage Cal- Japan must have been quite long, maybe 4 months in the NE monsoon. Cabins probably tiny with poor facilities. At least one later went to Straits Steamers and a photo shows her looking quite smart. Any info would be welcome. Peter Ballantyne
Old 22nd December 2016, 07:14

Both Chak and Choy were around in my day but they never went to Calcutta in those days. Both traded to China and North from Hong Kong. We were in Penang when word came that Chak had blown up whilst remaining in HK to shelter from a typhoon raging off Hong Kong. When we got back Chak was lyng on her side, hull plates well buckled. Stories told were that she was on a buoy and on Stand By. The explosion amongst chemical cargo did damage on the bridge, something fell across the engine telegraph moving it to Slow ahead. Down below they answered and she was tugging at the buoy until the movement was stopped. A Scandanavian vessel close by dropped a lfeboat and picked up many who were in the water. I cannot recall exactly but don't think anybody was lost. Sabotage was suspected, carrying goods to Red China. Understand these were wartime built German ships and they had no copper pipes, and also heard they had no brass bearings or valve spindles.
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:17

Thanks for that Fergie. Perhaps those small er ships were only used on shorter runs and not on the long-haul Cal/Jap line. Very little available about them.
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:25

Chun Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlball View Post
Seasons greetings to all. Anybody out there ever sail on any of the ICSN Hansa class ships = CHAK SANG 1931gt (1947-49 (sabotaged)), CHOY SANG 1919 gt (1947-60), CHUN SANG 2808gt (1949-56). Also a report of a fourth one, probably managed not owned. They seem quite small ships and low powered, with 2 hatches forward and one aft. Presumably all on Calcutta line altho at least one also tried on a Bangkok - Japan run. The full round voyage Cal- Japan must have been quite long, maybe 4 months in the NE monsoon. Cabins probably tiny with poor facilities. At least one later went to Straits Steamers and a photo shows her looking quite smart. Any info would be welcome. Peter Ballantyne

Peter, did I not send you photos of the Chun Sang?

Bob
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:26

Peter, did I not send you photos of the Chun Sang? I have a few.

Bob
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:48

My name is Alex Burns and I saild on the Cree as 3/O and 2/O, The Eastern Cliff as 3/O and briefly on the Carol on a voyage from Singapore to Hong Kong.
Old 23rd December 2016, 05:31

Hi Bob, can you send me your photos of CHUNSANG ? I have not seen them. Regards from Peter Ballantyne