Silver Line Ltd, London - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
19:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Silver Line Ltd, London

User Tag List

Old 28th November 2008, 22:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1996

taabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Bevan View Post
Hi,
I joined Silver Line as Eng. Cadet in 1978. Did college time at Reardon Smith until 1980. Sailed on Taabo and Silverosprey and then back to college in South Shields for final year. Was made redundant in 1983 but if I had my time over would do it again.
Can't remember many shipmates names but Capt Don Troop was one on the Taabo and my 2nd Engineer was a chap called Tony Green from Newcastle. Had a third from Sunderland too, so many wind ups between them including gluing his flip flops to the deck outside his cabin after a long night in the bar. One of the funniest things I've seen was him trying to figure out (with a hangover) why he couldn't walk after putting them on.
That 3rd Engineer wouldn't be Derek Bell? I was 2/E on the Taabo about that time, with Don Troop as the Old Man, Albert Trotter as the C/E, Paul Wakeling was C/O, the "Honey Monster" 2/O, Derek Bell 3/E and Peter Smalldon the PCS. I was on board when she changed to Ivorian crew and Christmas proved to be, shall we say, "trying". Did you study with Ulsterman Ray Lutton (engineer cadet) in Cardiff? Ray is senior 3/E (with a Chiefs ticket) on one of P&O's giant cruise ships
Old 5th December 2008, 20:51
Active: 1972 - 1976

I've just been surfing, there are some great photos of the fjord on shipspotting.com,these appear to be up to date ones, it looks as if the old girl is still going strong and looking in remarkably good nick.
If you look carefully on the photo of the bow shot you can still see the silver line badge beside the name, I wonder if my shifter is still in the bilges?
There are also a couple of pics of the Don,these are'nt so good but never the less....I tried several other names but no luck.
Old 14th December 2008, 16:05

I remember sailing on the Fjord as Master many years ago. A good ship with a gp English crew. Hank Otter was purser and the bosun was the late Tommy O'Halleron. Most of the crew at that time were from my neck of the woods, North Shields.
May I wish all my ex-shipmates who I served with in Silverline, a very Happy Xmas and a smashing New Year.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywhitelaw View Post
I remember sailing on the Fjord as Master many years ago. A good ship with a gp English crew. Hank Otter was purser and the bosun was the late Tommy O'Halleron. Most of the crew at that time were from my neck of the woods, North Shields.
May I wish all my ex-shipmates who I served with in Silverline, a very Happy Xmas and a smashing New Year.
I was one of the J/Es with you, and with a load of others paid off in Corpus Christi. You had enjoyed a good celebration as the ship navigated the Mississippi to Baton Rouge if my memory serves me correctly and yes there always was loads of us Geordies.
May I also extend my best wishes to everyone for Xmas and the new year.
Cheers
Chris
Old 15th December 2008, 12:44

Yes the 3/E was Derek Bell. The C/E was an Indian chap but can't remember his name. The Chief Steward was Welsh if I remember with a Dutch wife. Great boat to have for first trip.
Old 15th December 2008, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Bevan View Post
Yes the 3/E was Derek Bell. The C/E was an Indian chap but can't remember his name. The Chief Steward was Welsh if I remember with a Dutch wife. Great boat to have for first trip.
I think the Chief Engineer would be "Gentleman" George Ferdinand and I think he was Sri Lankan. I know George sailed on the Taabo after Albert Trotter retired. I see Derek Bell quite regularly and he is on the North Sea rigs month and month about. You are correct, she was a very happy ship
Old 15th December 2008, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
I think the Chief Engineer would be "Gentleman" George Ferdinand and I think he was Sri Lankan. I know George sailed on the Taabo after Albert Trotter retired. I see Derek Bell quite regularly and he is on the North Sea rigs month and month about. You are correct, she was a very happy ship
Yes it was George Ferdinand, liked cigars now from memory. Next time you see Derek ask him if he remembers his flip flops being super glued to the deck outside his cabin, plus the christmas present he gave to Tony Green who was a Geordie 2/E, ( a Sunderland FC Sports bag), which was swiftly thrown overboard.
Old 15th December 2008, 19:57

Quote:
All the best to you Harry and any other ex ship mates out there, have a merry Xmas and a happy new year !
Old 18th December 2008, 07:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - Present

Hello, (Mr. CHATHAM CHAVS) it appears that you were on the Spey Bridge the same time as me? I had my wife with me during the trip 02/03/81 to 15/07/81, i was 3/0 at the time. My wife (at that time) left in Aruba as she was pregnant, i eventaully left in Amsterdam after injuring my leg up the Mississippi and having to hobble the rest of the time until arrival in Europe.
Vaughan Williams

Last edited by litavan; 18th December 2008 at 07:36..
Old 18th December 2008, 07:41
Active: 1975 - Present

I wish a Merry Xmas & New Year to all the "old" SILVERLINE shipmates around the world. Thank you for bringing back some many forgotten names from the past, safe sailing to all.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:17
Active: 1952 - 1965

To all you ex Silver Line people a Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.
Old 26th December 2008, 12:31
Department: Electrician
Active: 1972 - 1989

Hi Vaughan, yes myself and my wife Jan were with you and Karen on the Spey Bridge . Karen left from Bonaire not Aruba if our memory is correct .Believe there was a bit of ill feeling when the "tank cleaning bonus" was initially withheld up the Mississippi.Best wishes for the New Year. Roger and Jan
Old 24th January 2009, 23:34

Silvermain

Sailed 2 trips on the Main joining just b4 xmas 77 and again in 78 as 4/E, remember the KaMeWa prop so well and the dry dock in Japan that converted her to carrying Containers along with a sister ship call the Borgistad, same ship design Norweigan Crew, remember carrying Cars to the US, remember her as a good ship and good crew, flipino crew,remember working like hell to get her back to UMS and we did.
Old 20th February 2009, 17:04

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
Were you on the Taabo when the 2/0 went mental and was walking around on top of containers as they were being loaded. Don Ttoup was Old Man and I had my wife Chris on for some of the time. Bob Plimley was the R/O and became our daughters godfather. he joined Merseyside police and is now retired.
Old 20th February 2009, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gerrey View Post
Were you on the Taabo when the 2/0 went mental and was walking around on top of containers as they were being loaded. Don Ttoup was Old Man and I had my wife Chris on for some of the time. Bob Plimley was the R/O and became our daughters godfather. he joined Merseyside police and is now retired.
No Roger, although we did sail together on the Clyde, joining in Singapore along with Dave Gammons, Phil ??????? the RO and wife. The mate i think was either Tony Green or "Syd Vicious" Laurie Harding was the Chief Engineer.
I also think we sailed together on the Taabo and Don Troupe was the old man, relieved by Ronnie Safe. Paul Wakeling was the CO and Albert Trotter the CE. My wife Sandra recalls you well, but my memory aint what it used to be. Les Robertson, Alan Stoddart, Ray Lutton and Mike Gardener are other names to conjure with
Regards
Colin Curtis
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:47

My location
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by litavan View Post
Is there anybody out there who used to sail on the Silver Line ships in the 70's to 80's??

Would like to have some information on their ships if possible, pictures etc..

Ex Silver Line myself, any old ship mates still around, please get in touch.

Vaughan Williams...

(Ex Fleetwood Nautical College)..
Hi litavan.
Dont know if this list contains your ships,but if you click on to
SSSTEAMSHIPS,then on to ships names starting with "Ss",you
will find about thirty odd ships starting with "Silver"something.
Hope you find what your looking for.

Dave Williams(R583900)
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishop1 View Post
Hi litavan.
Dont know if this list contains your ships,but if you click on to
SSSTEAMSHIPS,then on to ships names starting with "Ss",you
will find about thirty odd ships starting with "Silver"something.
Hope you find what your looking for.

Dave Williams(R583900)
This website took a little bit of finding,or it did for me at any rate, and I dare say if they are'nt all there, from the seventies at least, then there is'nt many missing. As a bonus there are many from times gone by that I'm sure many of the more experienced of us(I hate to say the older ones) may remember(ash,laurel,willow etc).
The down side to this website is the photos are black and white, shipspotting.com offers colour photos,see one of my previous note further up this page.
all the best
Chris

Last edited by chris thompson195; 3rd March 2009 at 22:27..
Old 11th March 2009, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris thompson195 View Post
This website took a little bit of finding,or it did for me at any rate, and I dare say if they are'nt all there, from the seventies at least, then there is'nt many missing. As a bonus there are many from times gone by that I'm sure many of the more experienced of us(I hate to say the older ones) may remember(ash,laurel,willow etc).
The down side to this website is the photos are black and white, shipspotting.com offers colour photos,see one of my previous note further up this page.
all the best
Chris

I'm with you on locating that web site I can't find it period. I know at one time I found a number of Silver Lione ships, including the "Silverfell"...... can I find it again no chnace so if any one has the actuall web address I'd appreciate it

Cheers
Old 11th March 2009, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Metcalf View Post
I'm with you on locating that web site I can't find it period. I know at one time I found a number of Silver Lione ships, including the "Silverfell"...... can I find it again no chnace so if any one has the actuall web address I'd appreciate it

Cheers
Hi Malcolm,it was harder to find second time around,however find it I did.
www.photoship.co.uk (type photoship in the google search)then look on,Browse the old ship galleries with thumbnails,this is the largest collection of photos I have seen on the net, the silver line ships are several pages in under S would you believe.
cheers

Chris

Last edited by chris thompson195; 11th March 2009 at 23:37..
Old 29th March 2009, 07:45
Active: 1960 - Present

Harry Whitelaw and The Russians

Quote:
Hi Malcolm
You've rattled my braincells and made me remember things I'd long forgotten! I remember many of the names you've mentioned. Do you remember Mal Virgee who sailed as second mate on the Aldersagate (Mike Smith was master and I was Chief Officer). I am in regular contact with him. He married an american girl and lives in active retirement in Los Angeles, following a long career as a ship's surveyor also in LA.
I sill enjoy a pint (or two ) down on North Shields fish Quay, watching the ships coming and going (Sad Aren't I).
When I eventually retired from "seagoing duties" I was lucky enough to get a job with Tyne Port Control before Beryl had her first minor stroke.
It would be nice if some of the names from the past got in touch via the email. I've seen Ian Matheson's name mentioned. Is he on this forum under a different name? He was chief officer with me on the Tower Bridge. I seem to remember getting well beaten of a Russian ship's crew in Vancouver and both crews getting well popped after the match, despite the fact they had a commisar watching over us and their stewardesses!

Take care (more memories are coming to mind already)

Harry

Just got back to reading the Ship Nostalgia Forum after a few months shifting house to Malaysia from China...... and see that Silver Line now has a patch.
Great to hear that Harry's memory is better than mine, although I do remember the Russian episode in Vancouver and the Russian stewardesses were fascinated with the Tower Bridge swimming pool.......
I sailed with Harry on the Tower Bridge, Silverweir and Silversand and have some unforgettable moments from from runs ashore in places like Calcutta, Mauritius, Shanghai and Taku Bar or Tanggu ( where I lived years later ).
That was in the days when loading/discharge took weeks rather than hours.

I last saw Harry when he was Capt on the standby boat Dorinda in 1973.

Maybe I'm a bit late joining in on this thread but would like to hear from any of the Silver Line folks who served in the '60's.

Iain M
Old 30th March 2009, 09:47

Only just found this website and I haven't laughed so much in ages - reading some of the names that brought back so many memories.
My first ship was the Fjord - I joined as 4th mate! (from RN) but soon got my 3/O's job as the incumbent (Mark "Lady" Hamilton) didn't quite live up to expectations.
Big John Tew (Cardiff) was the master, Dave Weaver was C/O, can't remember the
2/O's name but he was a Bristol Channel pilot doing some sea-time. Soon afterwards we had two cadets - Eric Deakins (Grimsby) - who now lives in NZ I believe and Jon' Marten-Hale who is now an airline pilot and lives Luton way.
Angus Mather (Gloucester shed) joined as Eng cadet and the 3 stewards (stoogies) Gordon(Capt's), Barry (Saloon with his bow tie) and "Squeaky" John (Duty mess) kept us amused!
The C/Eng was a silver haired gent from Liverpool way, and the 2/E I think at that time was the unforgettable Dougie Brown, with his football eyes and who used to go purple when he coughed over his cigarettes! Lecky was Willy Watson (Sleepy) ... Charlie Leong joined later as 3/E and the tall young bearded 4/E had his wife aboard. The Chief Stwd was Andy? - Irishman, always had a joke and a laugh.( I believe he died in a fire aboard one of the "V" ships?) GP white crew - later replaced by Filipinos, and I can remember some other faces but can't put names to them.
Later I also sailed on the Tweed (Mel Crawford) the Don (Capt Smith - who died on board - tragic), Eagle, Spey Bridge, Erskine Bridge and Arapaho, variously as 3/O and 2/O.
Enough form me for now - but many other memories - good and bad.. hope some of the names trigger your memories?
Chris Jones
(Welsh Wizard No 2 according to Dougie Brown.....No1 was Ray somebody a mad 4/Eng?)

Last edited by seejay; 30th March 2009 at 09:51.. Reason: Typos
Old 30th March 2009, 13:58

Now then, Dougie 'Broon', from Morpeth if I recall. A real star ; I sailed with him on the Sand and Aldersgate where he was 3/E and Bar-keeper in the absence of any bar on those vessels.........however his cabin was decorated with fairy lights to create a certain ambience....
Harry Whitelaw was Mate and I was 2/O is those days with Henry Howie and Chivers as Masters.
Usually ploughing a furrow between Seven Islands and Bidston with the odd diversion to Murmansk or Narvik.

Best ship in my view was the Weir; a genuine tramp where we never knew where were going next. Harry was Master and I was mate on it for the last year it sailed under Silver Line ownership. We stayed with it until it was handed over to the Greeks at Sunderland in 1969. It was wrecked shortly afterwards as Aghios Antonios. A lovely ship although it could have done with some A/C ......... however it did have a Party Saloon at the aft end of the Boat Deck .
Old 30th March 2009, 17:53

There was an appretice fitter at Smiths Docks North Shields, called Dougie Brown, when I was serving my apprenticship in 1956-61. He was from a farming family nearer to Rothbury, than Morpeth, he only went home at weekends and stay in logings in South Shields during the week. He was thin with wirery blonde hair if I remember correctly, he had an old Austin7 which he sold to a friend of mine. I wonder if it's the same Dougie Brown
Old 31st March 2009, 13:18

Yes, you are right, Dougie was from The Pinfold, Rothbury not Morpeth. Your description of him sounds about right as well, although I never saw him without a ciggy in his hand.
Great Guy who never let the 0400 bar run short of cans......
Old 5th April 2009, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaituo View Post
Now then, Dougie 'Broon', from Morpeth if I recall. A real star ; I sailed with him on the Sand and Aldersgate where he was 3/E and Bar-keeper in the absence of any bar on those vessels.........however his cabin was decorated with fairy lights to create a certain ambience....
Harry Whitelaw was Mate and I was 2/O is those days with Henry Howie and Chivers as Masters.
Usually ploughing a furrow between Seven Islands and Bidston with the odd diversion to Murmansk or Narvik.

Best ship in my view was the Weir; a genuine tramp where we never knew where were going next. Harry was Master and I was mate on it for the last year it sailed under Silver Line ownership. We stayed with it until it was handed over to the Greeks at Sunderland in 1969. It was wrecked shortly afterwards as Aghios Antonios. A lovely ship although it could have done with some A/C ......... however it did have a Party Saloon at the aft end of the Boat Deck .
I remember Dougie Brown well. Good guy who liked his tabs and his booze.
According to my son I visited Dougie once at his home in or outside of Rothberry. My son remembers it but I'm a bit hazy. Does anyone know what happened to Dougie?
I also have very fond memories of Captain Henry Howie(known as Bad boy Howie in his Blue Funnel days). I kept in regular touch with him until he died many years ago in Duns. My daughter is named after his daughter, Avril. Iwas the last silver line master of the Silver Weir and handed her over to the Greeks at Sunderland. The Greeks handed over the Red Ensign to me (very grubby it was). My son has it now.
I look forward to more ex shipmates jogging my memory as age and drink are taking there toll on mine.
Best wishes to all, Have a Happy Easter.
Harry Whitelaw