Hello Everyone! - Ships Nostalgia
22:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello Everyone!

User Tag List

Old 27th September 2019, 20:41

Hello Everyone!

I'm a local historian and collector of old photographs. I was born, raised, and still reside in Sarnia, ON Canada - just across the St. Clair river from Port Huron, MI at the bottom of Lake Huron. I was given hundreds of ship/boat photos by a friend, Bruce Drope, who has since passed away. They are snapshots he took of boats he saw while sailing on Great Lakes vessels from at least the early 1960's onward. Unfortunately, he didn't identify any of them, and we were not able to go through them together - so the majority of my posts and queries will concern boats on the lakes and the 'salties' that passed through. All photos I post will be from my own personal collection, unless otherwise specified. Should you see a pic you would like to use, please message me and let me know, so we can work out the proper credit information.
Old 28th September 2019, 02:12

Hello and welcome from NZ. I did a few trips on the lakes on Toronto city. Registered in Avonmouth and belonging to the Bristol city line.
Old 28th September 2019, 18:07

Thanks for the warm welcome! Did you ever dock in Sarnia during your time on the Lakes? If so, what did you think of it? Do you have a photo you could share of the Toronto City? Would like to see her.
Old 30th September 2019, 02:32

Hi J5 yes I visited Sarnia nice little place. Once you get past French Canada the people are much friendlier.
I'm working on getting you a picture of the Toronto.,not the newest one but the second one I believe. Google Charlie Hills Bristol city line, lots of pictures there. Cheers.
Old 30th September 2019, 19:49

Hi jg - glad you left Sarnia with a good impression. Thanks for the information, I'll look it up.

Regards.
Old 30th September 2019, 22:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1982

Welcome from Kaharoa, New Zealand to you, Johnny.

I sailed into Sarnia in '75, on the Shaw Savill's "Laurentic", while doing a run through of various ports up that way, including Toledo, Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago and, of course, Sarnia, after having called at Montreal and Quebec. I would cheerfully have paid for a trip like that. Instead, the fools paid me to do it!

Don't unfortunately remember anything about your town now, don't think I got ashore there, more's the pity. I wonder whether you have any photos of the ship at all?

I loved the run we did up there. Some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen to this day. Never forget the Thousand Islands 'cruise' we did on a dark day in the Fall. The colours and reflections in the dark water were sublime. A place I'd like to revisit, see if it bears any resemblance to what I saw then.

All the best, Paul
Old 1st October 2019, 00:47

Hello again J 5. I have found the picture of the Toronto city but I don't know how to get it off the copier onto the computer. She is shown in a lock somewhere. I did all the ports mentioned in the previous post as well as Garry Indiana and Green bay Wis. Can only agree with what that poster said about the scenery. McCormack castle somewhere on an island. We took Ford Cortinas to Detroit one trip
Toronto was originally the Lena Dan and I think she had an icebreaker bow. I will find someone with the know how to get this picture off to you. Cheers.
Old 1st October 2019, 01:36
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976

I grew up on the Great Lakes Shenango Furnace Company ships where my dad was an engineer. 1960 I shipped out on a National Steel Corporation owned ship operated by the M.A. Hanna Company in Cleveland, as a coalpasser. 1961 I was a wiper, 1962-63 Fireman Watertender. 1964-65 Oiler. March 1966 I got my original Third Engineers license and sailed 3 A/E with Hanna until September 10, 1966.

When our MEBA - Marine Engineers Beneficial Association - union rep came aboard with a couple front pages of San Francisco newspapers. Pictured on said front pages were groups of ships rafted together in San Francisco Bay. These vessels were loaded and all ready to sail to 'Nam, but could not sail due to an acute marine engineer shortage.

October 1st, 1966 I sailed out of Baltimore with a grain cargo to Calicut, India paying off in Port Arthur, Texas December 12. It was January 26, 1967 before I joined my first 'Nam bound ship in San Francisco paying off in New Orleans May 15th. Subsequently I made ten 'Nam voyages, two each year, 1967, 68, 69, 70 & 71.

With Hanna we often bunkered at a Sarnia Oil Refinery, that is where we were the day and hour JFK was assassinated.

Greg Hayden
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:59

WOW kewl dude - that must have been quite the career! I don't know if I have a photo of the M.A. Hanna, but if one surfaces, I'll post it.
Old 3rd October 2019, 02:06
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976

M.A. [Marcus Alonzo] Hanna was the name of the Cleveland, Ohio, ship management company, that operated National Steel Corporation owned ships.

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/windoc.htm

The first vessel in the Paterson fleet to carry the Windoc name was built by Globe Iron Works, Cleveland, OH; being launched March 25, 1899 as the M. A. Hanna for the Cleveland Steamship Co. Her dimensions were 430 (131m) loa x 50 (15.24m) beam x 24 (7.32m) depth; 4,661 GRT, 7,400 dwt and was powered by a triple expansion 1,400 i.h.p. steam engine with three coal-fired Scotch boilers (being reboilered with 2 new Scotch boilers in 1904). The vessel was acquired by the Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland, OH and renamed Hydrus (2) in 1916. The Hydrus was reregistered Canadian and joined the Paterson fleet being renamed Windoc (1) in 1926. She continued sailing for the Paterson fleet until being sold in 1967 for scrap; the vessel arriving at La Spezia, Italy for scrapping August 1, 1968.

Unquote

Greg Hayden
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:34

Hi Greg - thanks for clarifying that for me. As it turns out, I have two snaps of the Windoc. If I can figure out how to attach a photo, I'll include it here, if not I'll post in my album. If you're interested I have snaps of many of the other Patterson boats that I can post for you.

Thanks again,

John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windoc 1 - Copy.jpg (17.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Windoc 1 b - Copy.jpg (17.5 KB, 44 views)