shell tankers - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
03:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

shell tankers

User Tag List

Old 11th March 2013, 02:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 1984

Was AB with shell for about 8 years Northia was my last ship in 83 running from Fulmar FSU im now a crane op on the brent bravo. Northia is still on the go last saw her on the spm when i was on the Kittiwake platform about 4years ago.
remember sailing with you Fozzie on the Euplecta i think it was. do you remember taking Fiji by storm we were there for about a month!!
Old 13th June 2013, 18:38

Shell tankers 1978

fm Lucy Knight

Sailed on the MV Amoria in 1978 and R/O.
Old 18th June 2013, 16:08

Smile shell tankers

hi everyone I sailed on the pallium from 9-2-78 to 14-8-78 I can only remember 1 person a good friend of mine dave massy .I remember a big Irishman also cant remember his name did anyone sail on her on these dates please let me know .cheers
Old 19th June 2013, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveedmond View Post
hi everyone I sailed on the pallium from 9-2-78 to 14-8-78 I can only remember 1 person a good friend of mine dave massy .I remember a big Irishman also cant remember his name did anyone sail on her on these dates please let me know .cheers
my name is ken williamson, i sailed on Paludina,Pomella, and many other Shell tankers. iknew Dave Massey he lived inLeicester i think, he visited me at my home in northampton, iwas A.B.
Old 19th June 2013, 13:50

Smile pallium

hi ken. yes dave massy did live in Leicester I went to stay with him for a few days about 35 years ago we stayed in touch for many years I lost his phone no and we changed ours last time I spoke to him he was doing long distance lorry driving . do you have his phone no?as I would like to try to get in touch with him cheers.
Old 20th June 2013, 00:19

Quote:
hi ken. yes dave massy did live in Leicester I went to stay with him for a few days about 35 years ago we stayed in touch for many years I lost his phone no and we changed ours last time I spoke to him he was doing long distance lorry driving . do you have his phone no?as I would like to try to get in touch with him cheers.
sorry i dont have his number, but give me a few days,i dont live far away from his last known location,so i will make investigations.its nice to talk to ex Shell man,will let you know soon as.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:51

Smile pallium

hi ken . thanks for your reply much appreciated.i left the merchant navy in 1979 worked at Heinz in wigan ever since not the same working in a factory.i often think back to my sailing days feel sad sometimes.bye for now.thanks.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:10

Hi,
Slightly more modern times for Shell, anybody sail on PETRONAS Gas tankers.

DerekT
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:15

Quote:
hi ken . thanks for your reply much appreciated.i left the merchant navy in 1979 worked at Heinz in wigan ever since not the same working in a factory.i often think back to my sailing days feel sad sometimes.bye for now.thanks.
do you recal Dave Masseys last known address? Ken Williamson.
Old 10th July 2013, 01:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1978

Sailed with Mad McDermott!

Sailed with Mad McDermott, andyP1!

You have my sympathies. The man was genuinely certifiable! No wonder his missus liked a tipple; she tolerated a lot from him.

I remember he kept potted tomato plants on the bridge wings of the Lyria, perfectly placed to kick over during star sights, which always attracted his ire. On one occasion he threw a pair of dividers at me across the chart table. The following evening he would bring a sample of some of his peach curry up to the bridge, by way of an apology...not.

Ahh, the seventies; we will never see their like again!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp1 View Post
Joined the Liparus in Sept 81 @ D'Antifer as first trip engineer apprentice.
Caught the cross channel ferry dover - Le Havre with the Roy Potter (C/E), Tim McKie (3/E) and Simon Wells (4/E).
First night on board was spent in a lifeboat catching fuel oil as a french tug missed the stringer and put a wacking hole in the stbd FO tank, which was later repaired during a suez transit.
Had a change of master after about 4 months and we ended up with "Mad McDermott" on his retirement voyage with his alcoholic wife- spending the night before Xmas eve in the Saudi holding anchorage had her seeing pink rabbits coming up the flying bridge!
Old 16th July 2013, 14:36

atc,

Yes recall the midnight curries made with anything he could lay his hands on that the Chief Steward may have left out in the galley - recall one where he rang my cabin to drag me back as I was attempting a "straight 8 hrs kip" !
He had a dislike of 2E at one point, convinced that as he was from Surrey that he wore jodphurs all the time made of goatskins with velcro fastenings, thereafter Mac referred to 2E as "goatskins"- not too sure how that one came around
On his last time past Cape Town he ordered 6 demi johns of wine, which he .proceeded to serve to all present in the salon every lunchtime- not sure this would be acceptable now!
Finally paying off in Ras Al Khaima, whilst signing off articles he tucked a note into my discharge book that said I was "paying off complete with packed lunch"

Quite right we will never see those days again
Old 18th June 2018, 19:52

Good to have all the replies all those years ago.

My brother Kieth is now 80 today 18th June 2018, just getting ready to watch England in the World Cup, I will make a transatlantic call to the old sod.
<>
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/