Hemiplecta and Geomitra - Ships Nostalgia
07:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hemiplecta and Geomitra

User Tag List

Old 19th November 2018, 02:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1966

Hemiplecta and Geomitra

Hi gang,

Anyone aboard from either of the the above tankers in 1964 when the Hemiplecta towed the Geomita from the mouth of the Pladju river up to Singapore. I was Hemiplecta's Third Mate at the time and it was quite a feat, a fully loaded tanker towing another. Just getting the towing cable from the fo'castle down to the poop deck was a major job in itself, but getting the line across to the Geomitra was hilarious. Understandably, the Old Man didn't want to get to close to pass the cable across, and the nearest he was comfortable with, was too much of a stretch for a heaving line. At on stage he came out onto the wing of the bridge in his fishing gear, complete with hat covered in lures and hooks, and tried his hand at casting the fishing line across. Great stuff, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

The trip wasn't bad either. Bukom/Cebu/Manilla/Hong Kong/Kowasaki repeated ad infinitum. Ended up at Mitsubish, Yokohama for a major survey prior to transferring the ship to the Australian flag in order to get rid of Mr. Miller. Hemiglypta had already been transferred.
Old 20th November 2018, 12:35
Active: 1962 - 1966

Hi OzBoz I remember it well, I was j.o.s on that trip, old man offered the deck crew a case of beer, to get the first hand line across,I was also on your watch for part of that trip,also remember the long journey home 7 days flying.
Old 20th November 2018, 14:57
King Ratt

My location
It was 1964 when I was on an RFA down in Singapore. Some of us were invited to if I remember, Hemifusus? Sitting in an engineer’s cabin having a few beers and mention was made of one of their engineers being unwell. Little sympathy was obvious but our ship’s doctor was present and checked this fellow out. Turned out he had a burst appendix and they got him ashore tout suite. Never ever heard the outcome. Hope he was OK.
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:14

Hi James,
Were you on board in Avonmouth before she headed out to Singapore via the Gulf? I remember the ship was to be used to open the "new" oil basin. The guest of honor was Princess Alexandra. There was a huge temporary stand on the quay for all the dignitaries. We were in the middle of a white oil discharge and we had to cease pumping, cast off and be towed out backwards, only to come back in, dressed overall and blowing the whistle. What a performance, and insult to injury, no one on the ship was invited to drinks and nibbles on the opposite side of the dock. Not even the Old Man.

Enroute from the gulf to Singapore, one of the lads came down with appendicitis quite serious, so we had to put into Bombay to ship him to hospital. He was waiting for us on the jetty at Bukom.

During the night discharging at Bukom, there was a God Almighty refinery explosion on an adjacent island, (Sebarok IIRC). All very hush hush. We quizzed the shoreside watchman the next night and he told us a Malaysian (as it was then) gunboat had intercepted a speedboat suspected of carrying Indonesian insurgents, and when they wouldn't heave to, they fired a shot across it's bow without checking what was behind the target. BOOM.

Brian
Old 5th December 2018, 11:22

Hi Brian I joined the Ship on the Isle of Grain or Tilbury 25/6/64 ,

It was the Galley boy who took ill ,we where told he was constipated, he had not been to toilet since we left the UK , i'll never forget helping him down into the boat outside Bombay harbour in the middle of the night.
I have some photo's of that trip I'll try and put them on SN site
regards Jim.
Old 12th December 2018, 13:15

Hi James,

I'd be very interested in seeing any pics you have from Hemiplecta at that time.

Cheers
Brian
Old 10th January 2019, 13:03

pictures as requested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190110_113745_resized (1).jpg (98.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190110_113905_resized.jpg (102.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20190110_113932_resized.jpg (104.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20190110_113956_resized.jpg (112.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20190110_114017_resized.jpg (113.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 10th January 2019, 13:18

Hemiplecta photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBoz View Post
Hi James,

I'd be very interested in seeing any pics you have from Hemiplecta at that time.

Cheers
Brian
Hemiplecta photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190110_114055_resized.jpg (57.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190110_114109_resized.jpg (63.4 KB, 21 views)