Fleetwood Nautical College - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
13:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fleetwood Nautical College

User Tag List

Old 2nd March 2010, 21:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1979

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyndwr View Post
I attended FNC from Sept. 1969 to december 1971. I was in the very first class to sit the DTI general Certificate. Seeing the names of Ray Wilson, Don Bee, Isaac Hunt et al bring back some very good memories. I was in a Class with Nick Heywood from Preston, Roger (Chopper) McLean from Blackpool, Chris Wadsworth from Rippon and Chris Lamb from Kirkham. I myself travelled every day on the bus from Wesham. Most of the cadets stayed in digs and the Jolly Roger was their favourite haunt.

Thanks for reminding me of the good old days. Yes I do remember Linda. One of the older guys was going out with her. Can't for the life of me remember his name - he was a good footballer though. I remember the Monday morning thing. Everyone in the gym with full uniform. In the last year we could dress causal. What a relief but we "pulled" less - the Uniform did it's thing.

Glyn Lewis
HI GLyn, I was there same dates, started a month later than everyone else, went on with mimco then gka. Happy memories
Daivd Strickland
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:05

Did my Coxswains course plus 4 refreshers at fleetwood for the oil and gas industry. Got a lot harder to do after the Piper Alpha went up remember the grub was ok the days we were not in the boats.
Old 11th March 2010, 09:04

What about the 'Sporting Club' for after hours top ups.
I think it was renamed Sylvanas or something like that. A complete and utter dive of a place.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:26

It was renamed Sylvanas, after Sylvana, the woman who owned it, I think she was either Italian or Spanish.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:16

Fleetwood Nautical College Re-union - 11/09/10

The Re-union is all set and the catering, musical entertainment and venue bookings are all confirmed as is the ticket price at 25pp inclusive of a 5 course dinner at Fleetwood Golf Club.

It will be held on Saturday 11/09/10 starting at 1pm at FNC Broadwater and will conclude Sunday with an optional Departure Lunch at The North Euston Hotel at 1pm.

Invitations have been sent out via e-mail 01/05/10 to all those who responded with a definite "Yes" to the original invite in February/March asking them to CONFIRM their attendance by sending a 10pp deposit. If you haven't yet received your invitation it means I haven't had an e-mail address for you in which case I ask that you contact me ASAP via e-mail or phone as shown below.

Tickets are limited to 90 - so they will be issued on a first-come-first-served basis and already the venue for the 5 course sit-down dinner had to be changed to increase from the original limit of 70.

I have compiled a "Reserve" list for those who couldn't commit but wished to attend - and I encourage anyone who has not yet asked to be added to that list to do so now. I plan to make available any spare tickets to those on that "Reserve" list once the deadline for the original "defnites" to confirm has passed. It would help a lot if anyone who has had to change their intentions from "definite" for any reason contacted me ASAP to advise of this so that their ticket(s) can be released to the "Reserve" list.

The event has attracted interest from all over the world - and there will be representation from as far afield as Japan, Honk Kong, California & New Jersey.

James Henry Clarke
29 Sisial y Mr
Rhosneigr
Isle of Anglesey
Wales
LL64 5XB
t: 01407 810848
e: [email protected]
Old 1st May 2010, 18:59

Hi James
Apologies in advance - I'm out of the country for most of September.
Maybe the next one!

John
Old 1st May 2010, 23:03

Dear John

No problem! There are many in the queue waiting for spare tickets that arise due to people having to drop-out.

Hopefully, now that we have the idea of Re-unions going for FNC - maybe future ones can be held at some appropriate interval (maybe every 2 or 3 years) and thereby enabling those who miss this - the inaugural event - to join-in? Mind you we will probably need to secure a larger venue judging by the response so far for this year's inaugural event.

One thing though for you John is for you to respond to my question: Do you wish to be enrolled as a Member of the Fleetwood Nautical College Past Students & Staff Association - which is another outcome of this endeavour? It costs nothing - and would be web and e-mail based - but would like SN facilitate easy communications between the very many graduands of FNC - wherever they live on this earth

Hopefully, we can help our alma mater to survive and prosper into the future when it faces the threats and risks posed by changing public expenditure priorities. I understand that the College faced near extinction after the demise of the Radio Officer training in the eraly 80's - but some astute footwork and actions by our former lecturers succeeded in outflanking the "system" which seemed set on killing off FNC - due to its mono-technical nature. Just look at it today - prospering whilst the larger institutions are struggling.

I look forward to receiving your reply.

Best wishes!

James
t: +44(0)1407 810848
Old 15th July 2010, 01:25

Final Call for Tickets

This is a final call to all former Fleetwood Nautical College/Navigation School Students and existing and former Staff to advise that most of the tickets have been reserved and that there are a few remaining for late-comers.

If you wish to attend the Inaugural Re-union on Saturday 11/09/10 at Fleetwood starting at 1pm at the College and followed by an evening of fine dining and live musical entertainment at Fleetwood Golf Club please act now and request your tickets..

Please send an e-mail to me via the SN facility and I will e-mail you the newsletter WYRED which has all the details and the Reservation Coupon.

James H Clarke
__________________________________________________ _____________

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Clarke View Post
The Re-union is all set and the catering, musical entertainment and venue bookings are all confirmed as is the ticket price at 25pp inclusive of a 5 course dinner at Fleetwood Golf Club.

It will be held on Saturday 11/09/10 starting at 1pm at FNC Broadwater and will conclude Sunday with an optional Departure Lunch at The North Euston Hotel at 1pm.

Invitations have been sent out via e-mail 01/05/10 to all those who responded with a definite "Yes" to the original invite in February/March asking them to CONFIRM their attendance by sending a 10pp deposit. If you haven't yet received your invitation it means I haven't had an e-mail address for you in which case I ask that you contact me ASAP via e-mail or phone as shown below.

Tickets are limited to 90 - so they will be issued on a first-come-first-served basis and already the venue for the 5 course sit-down dinner had to be changed to increase from the original limit of 70.

I have compiled a "Reserve" list for those who couldn't commit but wished to attend - and I encourage anyone who has not yet asked to be added to that list to do so now. I plan to make available any spare tickets to those on that "Reserve" list once the deadline for the original "defnites" to confirm has passed. It would help a lot if anyone who has had to change their intentions from "definite" for any reason contacted me ASAP to advise of this so that their ticket(s) can be released to the "Reserve" list.

The event has attracted interest from all over the world - and there will be representation from as far afield as Japan, Honk Kong, California & New Jersey.

James Henry Clarke
29 Sisial y Mr
Rhosneigr
Isle of Anglesey
Wales
LL64 5XB
t: 01407 810848
Old 15th September 2010, 13:35

Fleetwood Nautical College Re-union Success

80 guests enjoyed a packed Saturday afternoon and evening last weekend at Broadwater and the Golf Club, Fleetwood.

After a Welcome Address delivered by Head of Campus John Matthews and a group photograph kindly taken by Steve Bowden (Stevebb) three groups took it in turns to tour the facilities comprising the Bridge Simulator, the GMDSS and associated Radio Systems and the Helicopter Crash Simulator Pool with its wave generating capability and multiple Survival Raft and Life Boat operational capabilities. Staff involved included Joe Bottomley, Matthew (Bridge Simulator) and Ted Hackett - to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude. The action-packed afternoon was enjoyed both by former students and their spouses. Everyone I subsequently spoke to were very impressed by the up-to-date facilities that our alma mater has been able to install and operate.

John Matthews in his opening address told of the testing times that the College faced in the past and how through innovative thinking and enterprise by staff the crisis was overcome and the institution then proceeded from strength to strength. There are now plans in place, resulting from requests by shipping companies, to run a Marine Engineering course which will serve to plug the gap in maritime training available at Fleetwood - something that placed it at a major disadvantage in the past.

After the tours at Broadwater concluded the evening's festivities commenced at Fleetwood Golf Club at 5.30pm and after a 5 course gourmet dinner (by The Little Black Dress Catering Co.) musical entertainment was provided by local duo Studio Two spanning the 1940s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Many of those who stayed over at The North Euston Hotel enjoyed a great Sunday Farewell Lunch in the Rossall Room which served to round-off a great weekend in excellent fashion - a weekend to be remembered.

A question asked by many, including those who could not make this year's event, was "When Are You Holding the Next Re-union?" To answer that query satisfactorily it will be necessary to ascertain the consensus of opinions amongst those who did attend this year's event - as well as to measure the level of demand amongst those unable to attend - many of whom live overseas and could not plan holidays and travel in time to reserve tickets this time. So, it would be very useful if anyone who wishes to consider attending a future Re-union would contact me ([email protected]) ASAP giving their e-mail address so that a copy of the Questionnaire can be sent to them for completion.

James Henry Clarke
FNC Re-union Organiser
Old 15th September 2010, 18:44
Active: 1974 - 1986

I'm glad to hear it went well James, I just wish I could have made it, maybe next time.

Is it possible to list the attendees then those of us that couldn't get there can see who we missed?

Thanks

Bob Bryne
Old 16th September 2010, 00:45

Hi Bob

Yes! but in order to respect privacy I will gladly e-mail the names to you privately for which I need your e-mail address. Just contact me on mine: [email protected].

James
Old 17th March 2011, 19:07
Active: 1971 - 1992

Unfortunately I don't recognise anyone's psuedonyms, but I was at FNC 68-71 with a great bunch of immediate mates namely Kev Bisby (the randy footballer named above!!), Dave Rogers, Ian Johnson (Waxy), Gary Auld, Dave Farrow, Don Helm to name just a few. Great reading about the many landmarks of downtown Fleetwood. My memories, being chased by the Fishing deckies around the town qwhen the fleet was in town, playing footy on the bowling greens near the pier (was that really what we got up to!), Drinking in the JR, drinking my first Boddies at the Mount (powerful stuff!!), Spending time doing the Radar course after passing PMG and spending less time studying and more time in the Euston with the "Barfly" Heady days indeed!!! College student parties in Blackpool. Going to a Blackpool home game with Dave R and Ray Pilgrim. Digs in Promenade Road Mrs Walker's - thrown out for staying out after 2300h, consigned to the Hostel oppo the Pier, then catching up with my pals in Prom Road again!(Phyl's!). Falling on love aaahhh Pat Green, best friends with Linda long-legs - best friend also of KTB. Well, she did have a car!!
Tucking hair into your uniform cap during inspection and hoping Pat Shaw was on duty... he was very good! Night classes learning typing... The sport, Football, basketball and winning a rugby medal, never having played the game before (I think a fellow student called Brian Howarth taught us all!).

Great growing-up days indeed remembered with affection.

If I get the chance I'll upload some photos which might jog memories...
Old 18th March 2011, 14:33
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbb View Post
Unfortunately I don't recognise anyone's psuedonyms, but I was at FNC 68-71 with a great bunch of immediate mates namely Kev Bisby (the randy footballer named above!!), Dave Rogers, Ian Johnson (Waxy), Gary Auld, Dave Farrow, Don Helm to name just a few. Great reading about the many landmarks of downtown Fleetwood. My memories, being chased by the Fishing deckies around the town qwhen the fleet was in town, playing footy on the bowling greens near the pier (was that really what we got up to!), Drinking in the JR, drinking my first Boddies at the Mount (powerful stuff!!), Spending time doing the Radar course after passing PMG and spending less time studying and more time in the Euston with the "Barfly" Heady days indeed!!! College student parties in Blackpool. Going to a Blackpool home game with Dave R and Ray Pilgrim. Digs in Promenade Road Mrs Walker's - thrown out for staying out after 2300h, consigned to the Hostel oppo the Pier, then catching up with my pals in Prom Road again!(Phyl's!). Falling on love aaahhh Pat Green, best friends with Linda long-legs - best friend also of KTB. Well, she did have a car!!
Tucking hair into your uniform cap during inspection and hoping Pat Shaw was on duty... he was very good! Night classes learning typing... The sport, Football, basketball and winning a rugby medal, never having played the game before (I think a fellow student called Brian Howarth taught us all!).

Great growing-up days indeed remembered with affection.

If I get the chance I'll upload some photos which might jog memories...
This brought back a lot of wonderful memories, as I was on my Spark's course from '68 - '70 9failed twice, so had to eave). played rugby during those years as well. Only won one game in all that time against Poulton College and I scored my one and only try in that match as well!!

We too had our favourite bars with the cry of 'To the Mariners!'

By the way, Pat Shaw wasn't always 'easy' with Monday morning inspections! As a Nav. Cadet ('67 - '68) he ALWAYS got a number for haircuts!

As we were there at much the same time, I was known then as 'Felix' - long story, don't ask! I started my sparks in Don Bee's class

others on the same course were: Phil Rodgers (or Rogers), John Kynaston, Chas. Yates, Bill Smith, Dave Ball, the rest time has blurred.

I do have a photo at home somewhere, but just can't find it.

The College is getting a 35M refurb see HERE

Life is far too serious for it to be taken seriously
Old 18th March 2011, 16:19

My location
Sadly, Don "Crossed the bar" a couple of years ago Jay.

Sadly missed.
Old 20th March 2011, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
Sadly, Don "Crossed the bar" a couple of years ago Jay.

Sadly missed.
So I've heard. Sad news indeed :-(

As a kid I often got my 'Lucky Bags' and other sweets from his Mum's shop on the way to school or the Saturday pictures.

Old 4th September 2011, 00:17

Doing a search for FNC, I came across this website recently started by the looks of it.

http://www.fleetwoodnauticalcollege.org.uk/

Old 4th September 2011, 10:36
Active: 1972 - 1980

My location
I did FNC between 1969-1971, I see the staff/former students had a reunion last year and are planning another in a couple of weeks but is the college still there and what is it used for? we don't do R/O's anymore
Old 4th September 2011, 11:14
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

Hi Everyone,
yep the college is still there training deck cadets.
They also do offshore survival courses for the oil industry.
I was in the same class as Glyn Lewis 1968 to 1971 (Hi Glyn!) along with Nick Hibbell, Chris Wadsworth and Steve Ashcroft to name a few.
I am still working at sea as an electronic tech on a semi submersible construction barge engaged in oil platform construction. Currently anchored off Batam Islan waiting for a boat to get off for some leave back in the UK.

Best wishes
Geoff Burras
Old 4th September 2011, 17:59
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
'Big' Chris Wadsworth was Sparky on possibly the Cavalier or Energy when I was 3/0 ... great guy!
Old 5th September 2011, 08:21
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

Chris was best man at my wedding ..er..many years ago.
As you say a great guy.
Afraid we have lost touch over the intervening years.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:42

2nd Reunion & 120th Anniversary Celebrations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeeare View Post
Doing a search for FNC, I came across this website recently started by the looks of it.

http://www.fleetwoodnauticalcollege.org.uk/
Yes! Johnny("Felix")

For those who don't already know that is the website set-up by the Association (FNCPS&SA) which is independent of the College and via which you can make ticket bookings for the 2nd Reunion & 120th Anniversary Celebrations 22/09/2012 which can be as little as the 1 day or a full weekend. Full info ion the site.

James Henry Clarke
FNC 1967-69
Old 5th September 2011, 14:59

FNC 2nd Reunion & 120th Anniversary Celebrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon bryson View Post
I did FNC between 1969-1971, I see the staff/former students had a reunion last year and are planning another in a couple of weeks but is the college still there and what is it used for? we don't do R/O's anymore
Hi Gordon

As already said the College (now renamed a Fleetwood Nautical Campus of Blackpool & Fylde College) is very much there and much as you would remember from your time studying at FNC.

In fact Radio is still taught - of the satellite variety now - by Ted Hackett.

Through the sterling efforts of the then staff the College, after forcible amalgamation with Blackpool, was very successful in surviving the great down-turn which saw most other Nautical Colleges closedown, and through innovation and lateral thinking made a successful future and is now the leading UK Off-Shore Survival training institute. You can hear more about this by attending the 2nd Reunion 22/09/2012 where things can be said that may not be written about the way the College was treated by the other Nautical Colleges and B&FC.

There are even plans to introduce a Marine Engineering Course for the first time - and if that isn't go-ahead I don't know what is.

See: www.fleetwoodnauticalcollege.org.uk for recent photos of the College (undergoing expansion), the Inaugural Reunion (11/09/10), photos of students and staff from the past (we want your's also) and all about the planned 2012 Celebrations of the 120th Anniversary of the establishment of Fleetwood Navigation School as well as the 2nd Reunion on the weekend of 22 September 2012.

James Henry Clarke
Radio Student 1967-69
Voluntary Organiser FNCPS&SA
(Independent of the College)
Old 18th March 2012, 22:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 1982

Dr. Capt. Lahiri

Surely, you must remember Dr. Capt. Lahiri, who taught Navigation at Fleetwood. Good guy even if he couldn't drive. As a cadet, I was aware he took his driving tests over 20 times before I left Fleetwood.

Yemmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartynS View Post
It was still Fleetwood Nautical College when I did my induction there as a naive 16 year old staying at the Royal National Mission for Deep Sea Fishermen in 1972. After 2 weeks there I went off to join the Worcestershire (Bibby Line) in Hamburg and was taken to the Reeperbahn for the bits of my induction that Fleetwood Nautical College left out!!!!

I did a double header on the Worcestershire and then a trip on the Cheshire, which took me well over the requisite 12 months seatime before I could go back to Fleetwood

By the time I got back to Fleetwood in late 1973 on the ONC Nautical Studies Course, I was a lot less naive and my memories seem to revolve mainly around McGinty's Goat in Blackpool (where I was in overflow digs on Warbreck Drive) and the then college anthem of Hi Ho Silver Lining of Jeff Beck fame!

Those were the days!!!!

Once I became an Uncert 3/O, Bibby's had no inclination to return me to Fleetwood to complete my ticket and their refusal to let me go back to college was ultimately my reason for leaving. I hadn't intended to permanently leave the sea at that time, just change companies, but I was young and foolish and did not make sure that I had another Line to go to before I quit.

Martyn Sutton
Old 17th August 2012, 10:16

I went to Fleetwood for 2/M, Mates and Masters. Around '51, '54. 57above the Shipping Office next to the Fish Dock - Captain MacFarlane was the Principal and Capt. Carruthers his assistant. We all messed in together - mates, trawler-men and cadets.
Old 19th August 2012, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter aspinall View Post
I went to Fleetwood for 2/M, Mates and Masters. Around '51, '54. 57above the Shipping Office next to the Fish Dock - Captain MacFarlane was the Principal and Capt. Carruthers his assistant. We all messed in together - mates, trawler-men and cadets.
I was there as a cadet in 1957 before joining L&H where I served my time before sitting 2nd Mates in Liverpool. Cpt Carruthers was mainly doing seamanship at that time, with Cpt Tricket taking signals and ship construction for us three or four cadets.