Hello All - Ships Nostalgia
08:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello All

User Tag List

Old 7th July 2007, 13:44

Hello All

Hello all
I have read this forum with great intrest,there`s alot of info on all subjects the one i am particularly intrested in is the stagline seems alot of people have fond memory`s of the company and former crew members.

I am the great great great grandson of the founder of the stagline thats why i am so intrested in it its nice to see so many people with so many memories and makes very intresting reading, particularly the one about a captain who`s say was " thats an awful lot of money for a young man " ..
May your fourm have continued Success and i will be a frequent visitor to your forum
Regards to all
Old 7th July 2007, 14:01

Welcome to SN, Davo.
It's good to see that you've already browsed the forums and found much to interest you.
We hope you'll join in the discussions and enjoy the camaraderie found on this site.

Bruce
Old 7th July 2007, 14:05
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage. You must be talking about Captain Reekie a real Legend in his time.
Old 7th July 2007, 14:07
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
welcome aboard from the Philippines Davo. enjoy all this great site has top offer.
Old 7th July 2007, 14:08

My location
A warm welcome from Tasmania Davo, we're glad you are enjoying the site and hope you continue to do so.
Old 7th July 2007, 14:22

My location
welcome from cumbria.........
Old 7th July 2007, 15:00

My location
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Davo.
Nice introduction, you've obviously found your way around.
Lots more to find, enjoy.
Old 7th July 2007, 16:09

Thankyou for the very warm welcome nice to be aboard..
Old 7th July 2007, 16:14

My location
Welcome from deepest East Yorkshire Davo - we look forward to any posts you may have on Stag Line.
Enjot the site
Steve W
Old 7th July 2007, 17:25
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Davo and a warm welcome to SN.Enjoy the site and all that goes with it. Some illustrious ancesters you had. Bon voyage.
Old 7th July 2007, 22:17
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Cool Welcome

Davo,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.
Old 8th July 2007, 00:58

My location
Welcome from Lancashire UK.

I am sure you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian
Old 24th August 2007, 16:52

Auld Reekie

Davo,
I left school on a Friday afternoon in 1967, and joined the Cydonia in Rotterdam on the following Monday morning, Captain Reekie was Master, and had no idea that myself and two other Cadets were arriving. I don't think he ever forgave me, because we had a number of tete a tetes in the three or for trips I did on the Cydonia with him, and later on the Photinia.
I have a number of stories I could tell of my times serving under him, all remembered fondly, but if you'll bear with me, I'll tell one which I still have a chuckle at to this day.
We were anchored off Fort William, along with numerous other vessels, for about five or six weeks due to a Stevadores strike. Capt. Reekie refused to lower a boat, and as a result we relied on a Yugoslav Ship to ferry us back and forward. After a couple of weeks, the decision was made that myself and Ginger Scott (also a Cadet) should do the Anchor watches. 12 on 12 off, my 12 were 1800 to 0600. On a Saturday, three or four weeks into our spell at anchor, I went ashore, had one or two too many in the Royal Canadian Legion, ended up in a Burlesque Show, missed the Yugoslav liberty boat, and after a bizarre sequence of event ended up ashore over night. Arriving back at about 11.30 Sunday morning, I was met by Derek Alder the Mate, and told shower put my uniform on and be on the Bridge at noon. I was confronted on the Bridge by Capt. Reekie with the Mate barely visible behind him, through a cloud of smoke, but with a grin that almost split his face. The riot act was then read to me, and I was informed that there was no other choice than to pay me off and fly me home. It was at this point that Capt. Reekie asked the reason behind my failure to come back the night before. I didn't expect to be asked, and the only thing I could think of was that after such a time at sea, I had stayed ashore in order to go to Church that morning. I was instantly forgiven, and I'm sure a blood vessel broke on Derek Alders neck.

jt