Aden purchases - Ships Nostalgia
06:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Aden purchases

User Tag List

Old 2nd October 2010, 18:20

Aden purchases

My first camera was 2.25 square Paxina bought second hand from Dixons in East Ham prior to first trip on Maihar (I). See my photos taken on Masirah etc postings.
Next was Voigtlander Vito B from Aden, excellent camera with great lens,cannot recall extortionate Customs duty paid. All my ship photos 1958-76 were taken on this, pity no tele lens back then.
Ruined it when my dinghy sunk when rowing out back to my boat moored off Dunoon on the Clyde.
Also bought engagement present for intended, a new fangled electric iron, imagine what all her colleagues in her office made of it when they quizzed "what has your boyfriend bought!"
(I'm not daft, start as you mean to continue!)
Other items I recall was the battery operated cable controlled cars.
All us engineers bought them and "drove" them up to the saloon at mealtimes and "parked" them in marked chalk lines on the deck.
Woe betide anyone who had pinched other's parking place, even to the extent that they came into the saloon seeking retribution!
Understandable when Capt. Morris queried Ch. Eng Russel Gordon if he was absolutely sure that his men knew what they were doing down below!
O' Happy, happy days
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
March 1964 bought a Rolex Oyster GMT Master from a trader's shop in Aden. Paid 40 by Midland Bank cheque.

Today even second hand ones sell for three grand.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:21

My location
I bought an Omega Seamaster automatic in Aden in 1955 for about 30. Fifty five years later it still ticks away, on my wrist, the hours, the minutes and the seconds. In fact it never comes off my wrist excepting for the odd bath, shower,swim and the occasional surgical operation-six in that period.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:27

I bought a pair of leather sandals in Aden for about 50p.
They lasted until way past Socotra!
Regards,
Pat
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:35

My location
I started with a Minolta A5 and replaced next trip with a Pentax S1A - still a lot cheaper than buying in the UK, even with the duty. I think I still have the customs receipt for the Pentax and the camera is still going strong. Other goodies included a Rotary watch which I still wear. There was all the usual stuff like flip flops, Hings vests and underpants, tranny radios, oh, and ahairdryer for my mum!
Happy days
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:45
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
My first trip to sea on Maipura 1965 I bought a Voithlander 35 mm camera in Aden for 10 quid . It broke me but I have to tell you that is the best buy I ever made .
Without it there would be no record of any of my adventures .

Derek
Old 3rd October 2010, 06:57
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
I bought a Philips Electric shaver dual voltage in Aden it went for about ten years until I was hospitalised in HK with paratyphoid and I was introduced to the joys of wet shavingin whilst in isolation.
The razor with just about all my possessions were destroyed on the orders of the Doctors!, to prevent infection

Yours aye,

slick

Last edited by slick; 3rd October 2010 at 06:58.. Reason: spelling
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:55

Bought a pair of German binoculars in Aden in 65 - for four pounds (or rather two, as you then counted British money). Exellent binoculars, but rather too big to carry around today.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:02
Active: 1956 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
Bought a pair of German binoculars in Aden in 65 - for four pounds (or rather two, as you then counted British money). Exellent binoculars, but rather too big to carry around today.
Dont get the maths. Four pounds then is four pounds now. If you mean the drop in value of the pound from '65 till today, then I think 6p in today's would be more like the equivalent.
Cheers Bob
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:13

The factual exange rate between Norwegian and British money has stayed about the same, although the nominal did change with your conversion to metric. Today 40 NOK is around 4 GBP, but at imperial times it was only 2 GBP (20 shillings to the pound). (In today's money it would of course be substantially more - in both currencies.)

I paid 40 NOK, that was in today's exchange rate 4 GBP, in 65 only 2, but how to express that in immediately understandable terms?

Last edited by stein; 3rd October 2010 at 10:27..
Old 5th October 2010, 12:10
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the underpants we all seemed to buy in Aden - too delicate a subject for persons of our tender background perhaps? Were they Hanes from memory? Half the MN East of Suez must have worn those.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:37
Forever a Seaman
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
What about those fine Pelaco business shirts. Sparkling white in a lovely cardboard box and really looked great.
Open up the box and all you had was a bit of shirt front, a collar and a cuff with a bit of sleeve.
Old 5th October 2010, 16:40

My location
Hi Tony,

The ba$$bags and vests were Hings. I found some stuff in the loft a while ago in one of their bags. I'll have a dekko and scan it in if I find it.

= salaams ebv de gwzm +
Old 5th October 2010, 22:11

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Selman View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the underpants we all seemed to buy in Aden - too delicate a subject for persons of our tender background perhaps? Were they Hanes from memory? Half the MN East of Suez must have worn those.
Known by one and all as 'Hing's Things'. and good value, something like 1s / 6d a pair, or is my memory playing tricks; late 60s I could get a pint of BYB in Etherley for 1s / 6d. Nimmo's 1s / 11d in town.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
I bought an Omega Seamaster automatic in Aden in 1955 for about 30. Fifty five years later it still ticks away, on my wrist, the hours, the minutes and the seconds. In fact it never comes off my wrist excepting for the odd bath, shower,swim and the occasional surgical operation-six in that period.
Just to pass the time I have calculated that during the life of my Aden purchased Omega Seamaster automatic it has clocked up (shouldn't that be watched up?) no fewer than 3 billion 468 million 960 thousand ticks.
Isn't that absolutely incredible for such a delicate piece of micro mechanical engineering!!
I wrote to the makers in Switzerland, thinking that they might be so pleased with this testimonial, they would gift me a new one. But it wasn't to be, they politely acknowledged my letter and that was that.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:03
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Best seller in Aden were flip flops ; hundreds of them to each ship that visited .
Another very good buy were packs of Gileete razor blades ; I cant remeber how much but they were worth 4 times the price in Calcutta which we would trade for Ivory chess sets which were very saleable in the US especially in New Orleans . Some of the chaps then bought very expensive cigars which also had a premium in the UK . Most of us just wasted any profit on the first transaction in Calcutta with a visit GOH Firpos and other clubs .
Old 6th October 2010, 20:22
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1966 - 1979

First trip to sea in late 66 bought pair of 10x50 Zenith binoculars, thereafter they travelled on every ship I sailed on in the MN(25 in 13 years). They slid off the chart table onto the deck a few times as well. I still use them for ornithology.Also a Seiko wristwatch which remains not working in a drawer after several attempts to get it fixed.

Last edited by gadgee; 6th October 2010 at 20:26..
Old 7th October 2010, 18:26

My location
GWZM - Hing's it was, well remembered. There might even be a pair of the said [email protected] bags in the plastic bag - now that would be nostalgia!
Old 8th October 2010, 10:00

Bought a Rolex in Aden whilst in Mahseer in 1970-71. Wore it every day for 15 years as I treated it as an everyday watch since it wasn't that expensive. In 1985 it developed a winder fault and I was a bit wary of taking it to the local Rolex dealer as I feared it was a fake. Eventually I did and no problem. It was genuine. Even better, when I went to collect it, the dealer said the repair was covered by Rolex and he said Rolex's comment was - 'no charge because Rolex winders do not fail!'
After I found I could sell it for 4K (in 1985) I stopped wearing it and only get it out of the safe deposit for special occasions. It still works fine today.

Last edited by docgk; 8th October 2010 at 10:03..
Old 8th October 2010, 17:10
Department: Purser
Active: 1965 - 1968

Bought a Panasonic shortwave radio (T-100D) on first trip ss Orsova early 1966. Can't remember what I paid for it but on a monthly wage of 7 pounds sterling, it couldn't have been much.

It has lived with my brother for the past 40-odd years and he assures me it is in pristine condition.

Contrast this to the $1600 Toshiba plasma tv that I bought 3 years ago and is on the blink and spare parts that I need are "not available."
Old 8th October 2010, 23:57
Active: 1960 - 2002

Cheap Skate

The fridge man on the "Glenorchy" , 1962. Had the fancy Canon SLR camera , larking around the pool at the mish in Bangkok, drooped his camera into the deep end. When he finally found it, it was ruined.
Aden homeward bound. He shouted down to the bum boat, do have a Canon SLR, yes, send it up, and I will have a look see, he swapped the new camera with the duff one.
He boxed the ruined camera and sent it down
He said, I will think about it next time.

What a Wa*ker.

John.

Last edited by Macphail; 9th October 2010 at 00:04.. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th October 2010, 08:37
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8527 View Post
Bought a Panasonic shortwave radio (T-100D) on first trip ss Orsova early 1966.
Bought the same radio there in late 65...state of the art at the time...
Old 9th October 2010, 08:39
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphail View Post
He boxed the ruined camera and sent it down

John.
Karma.... the bumboat man had probably sold plenty of dodgy stuff in his time.....
Old 9th October 2010, 18:30

My location
Talking

GWZM - Hing's it was, well remembered. There might even be a pair of the said [email protected] bags in the plastic bag - now that would be nostalgia!

Tony,

Just for you. Contents not guaranteed original!

Happy days

gwzm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hing's Lo Res.jpg (137.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 10th October 2010, 18:44

My location
GWZM/John. Now that's nostalgia. Love it.