P&O GCD Ships and Routes - July 1975 - Ships Nostalgia
16:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

P&O GCD Ships and Routes - July 1975

User Tag List

Old 30th June 2014, 03:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1975

P&O GCD Ships and Routes - July 1975

I was looking through my files today and found this document (attached PDF) which may be of interest to anybody researching P&O General Cargo Division ships working the UK/CONTINENTAL/NEW ZEALAND and MEDITERRANEAN services in July 1975.

There is one error in that SUSSEX and WESTMORLAND swapped itineraries after this was printed. (I was 2/R/O on the latter).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P&O General Cargo 1975.pdf (622.7 KB, 380 views)
Old 30th June 2014, 08:52

Brings back memories, Second Mate on Cumberland at the time.

regards
Dave
Old 30th June 2014, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot mac View Post
Brings back memories, Second Mate on Cumberland at the time.

regards
Dave
Dave, you might recognise some of the people in these photos then:
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...0/ppuser/27756
I was also on the Cumberland in 1974/75.
Old 30th June 2014, 18:47

Thanks Geoff, familiar faces there. Several people stayed on for a second trip including some in your photos, Robin Phillips, Steve and Marie Murphy, Muddy Mellors and Geordie John to name but a few. Nice warm trip for us to the Red Sea in August, bloody sweltering (no a/c if you remember), nightmare for the engineers but the 'H' boat spirit prevailed, as we used to say happiness is 'H' shaped.

regards
Dave
Old 1st July 2014, 09:23
Active: 1975 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot mac View Post
Thanks Geoff, familiar faces there. Several people stayed on for a second trip including some in your photos, Robin Phillips, Steve and Marie Murphy, Muddy Mellors and Geordie John to name but a few. Nice warm trip for us to the Red Sea in August, bloody sweltering (no a/c if you remember), nightmare for the engineers but the 'H' boat spirit prevailed, as we used to say happiness is 'H' shaped.

regards
Dave
Hi Dave,
I joined the Cumberland later on that trip in Bandar Abbas, all above names were still onboard, I joined Nov 1975. We later found out Capt. Phillips died of cancer about June/July of 76. Irvine Mitchell was the 2nd Mate who joined same time as me. Happy days.
Best Regards
Bill
Old 4th August 2014, 11:40
Active: 1975 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Head View Post
I was looking through my files today and found this document (attached PDF) which may be of interest to anybody researching P&O General Cargo Division ships working the UK/CONTINENTAL/NEW ZEALAND and MEDITERRANEAN services in July 1975.

There is one error in that SUSSEX and WESTMORLAND swapped itineraries after this was printed. (I was 2/R/O on the latter).
I remember these documents well...sometimes they were how we found out where we were going ourselves! I was on Tekoa at the time of this one.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:57

I see the Tekoa did the same route around New Zealand that I did on my first trip on Cumberland the year before. Was it your first trip?

Saw on your AustinSparks profile that you were a Radio Officer and ended up in IT. I guess a lot of us followed that same route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinsparks View Post
I remember these documents well...sometimes they were how we found out where we were going ourselves! I was on Tekoa at the time of this one.
Old 6th August 2014, 13:02
Active: 1975 - 1983

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Head View Post
I see the Tekoa did the same route around New Zealand that I did on my first trip on Cumberland the year before. Was it your first trip?

Saw on your AustinSparks profile that you were a Radio Officer and ended up in IT. I guess a lot of us followed that same route
Hi Geoff. My ID is a bit of a giveaway regarding my role! I guess I could have been more original. Yes, that was my first trip. My second trip was on the same run, after which I never got to Kiwi again! :-(
Old 21st October 2014, 23:51
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
G'day Geoff,
Just checked my Discharge book and i see that I joined the Sussex on the 3rd July 1975 in Avonmouth. From there to Liverpool where we resumed the Westmorland itinerary but the accuracy detailed is not good. from my memory we sailed from Liverpool (can't remember any dates) to Falmouth where we loaded explosives. sailed from Falmouth for Cape Town for Bunkers via the Canaries where we stopped for crosshead repairs on one engine. Very long day and night! Cape Town to Aukland thence Tauranga, Wellington, Timaru, Bluff, Sydney, Melbourne, Fremantle and for me pay off back to the UK.
In all we had 32 main engine stops on the passage from Falmouth to Aukland. mostly for crankcase water leaks. Happy days, lots of hard work but heaps of good times. Thanks for the document, certainly jogged some very happy memories. do you have any more?
Old 25th January 2015, 20:19
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1981

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for sharing the ship movement document, I checked with my discharge book and found that I joined the Strathconan as a deck cadet in Karachi on 17th August 1975 and your document lists the first part of my trip. A great ship with great shipmates..... brings back some pretty hairy memories as a young man ashore in Penang ( Hong Kong bar) Hong Kong ( Bottoms Up bar ) and innumerable other establishments around the Japan coast. Guess I should start another thread entitled best runs ashore, in fact thats exactly what i will do. Thanks again for the document!
Old 26th January 2015, 01:08

Thanks Geoff, brings back a lot of memories, I paid off Mataura in July 75 in Liverpool after a trip to Aussie.
Bob
Old 15th February 2015, 10:37

My location
Great list Geoff. Two of my old skippers there in command of Strathinch and Strathinver. Sailed with them both on two trips on Antrim which became Strathinch. Dave
Old 5th January 2017, 12:51
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1986

I was on the Taupo for this voyage, loved that ship, still have the slides from my what was my first trip through the Panama Canal and onto Suva and Lautoka then the wonderful Kiwi coast. Memories of the Rutherford in Nelson and jugs of Paddy's Maiden Water (ouzo, creme de menthe and lemonade) come to mind!!!

Last edited by Jerry wes; 5th January 2017 at 12:53..