Elder Dempster Lagos - Ships Nostalgia
22:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Elder Dempster Lagos

User Tag List

Old 5th June 2020, 18:11

Elder Dempster Lagos

Hello. Anyone left out there who sailed into Lagos Nigeria on ED ships in the late 60s /early 70s. I used to visit the ships with my parents and was inspired to join the merch, even got to go to Sapele on the Perang for a week, brilliant ! Bill Smiles, Chief Engineer was a great friend. I sailed on the Auriol a few times ( as a passenger)when travelling back to Liverpool, great days. Any takers, love to hear from you.
Old 5th June 2020, 20:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

First went to Lagos as first tripper on the “Freetown“ in 1967.
Left Ocean in 1982 and have been in Lagos most of the time since then.
Little bit changed of course. Both me and Lagos.
Still two other ex ED guys in Lagos.
Old 9th June 2020, 23:35

Hi Julian. Thanks for responding. May have met you back then, who knows. Have got a few pictures, but not sure where to post them. Obviously I was just a kid (11) in 67, but we always visited the ED ships. I used to be given little jobs and remember being covered in the buff funnel paint. Happy days, we lived in Yaba, or Iddo at that time. Used to see a lot of the crew at Ebute Metta club, football matches. What do you do in Lagos these days ? Cheers. Rob
Old 10th June 2020, 08:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

Hi Rob,
Sent you a private message
Old 10th June 2020, 13:06

My location
Sailed on the Dalla, my first trip and Dalla's maiden voyage we did all the ports in west Africa
Old 24th June 2020, 10:02

I worked in Lagos for 15 years in the Oil and Gas Industry. Apapa not much changed. Before I left the sea I sailed on a Manchester Liners ship in 1975 with a chief mate who sailed on the Aureal with Captain Duncan Campbell from Campbeltown.This mate lived on the Wirrall and I cannot remember his name. Before computers were utilised for navigation this mate made a type of template that made it easy to plot ships position from star sites.I can remember that he was a great teacher of cadets whereby I was taught seamanship, navigation, etc without being used as a dogs body. Unfortunately for me I had to give up the sea as I failed Parrafin Lamp test.
Old 24th June 2020, 11:37

My father Allan "Spud" Murphy worked in lagos for BICC in 66/67, he used to drink on the ED boats, mainly with the engineers, in return they used to transport the guys around, it was actually some of these stories that partly encouraged me to goto sea, some 10 years later. My second trip to sea I joined a vessel trading to Lagos from Sheerness/Antwerp/Bremerhaven, unfortunately that was the last voyage of its charter, My dad was again working in Nigeria but upcountry, the ship was brought in 24 hours early from anchor thus i missed him as he was going to come down, however the Mate was suitably unimpressed when a car and driver were sent to the berth to pick me up and take me up to the BICC office to have a radio call with him. Got me off cargo watch for a couple of hours.
rgds
Kev
Old 26th June 2020, 13:51

Lagos is a nightmare now to sail too. I recollect when I worked for Agip at Brass Terminal the guys on the Supply ships told me the backhanders they had to pay Nigerian Customs to get work done. Similarly in Lagos, to clear cargo a Elder Dempster Manager I sometimes drank with in thistle Bar, Apapa told me the below the counter payments that had to be made to customs to release cargo.