Marine Engineering Lecturers Remembered.... - Page 7 - Ships Nostalgia
06:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Marine Engineering Lecturers Remembered....

User Tag List

Old 13th May 2020, 20:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1983

I don't see any problems with a clean white boilersuit each day or even each watch going through the Red Sea and other hot and humid parts of the world.
It was in your own interest as you could pick up all sorts of nasties on your skin as bad as a run ashore in Santos, but this could be anywhere on your body.

One wonders these days when you see mechanics and other tradesmen dressed in black shirt and trousers made out of thin polyester, you cannot see the dirt, it will go straight through, they will be hot in summer and cold in winter.

2nd trip to sea on twin LB's the washing machine consisted of several planks of tongued and grooved nailed together, a scrubbing brush, and a bar of pussars har after it had been in the steaming drum.
She was a minty ship was that one being 25 years old.

1st trip had Chinese greasers washing everybodies bs. Had to wait until I was 2nd before I had it done for me again.

As a Boiler Surveyor for an insurance company, if I went in any boilers I would change into a white boilersuit in the loo, then into a blue hooded bs in the boiler room before going in the boiler. This kept their loo clean when changing back to white shirt and tie , sports coat.

You cannot beat the heavy duty white cotton boilersuit, still wear on in the garden doing jobs or on the car. Also got a heavy duty blue one when we were taken over by Cornhill to become ACE (which they weren't), and they all wanted us to wear blue & - yellow corporate colours in cheap polyester with a loose hood (looked a right tart in one of those). So I told them in no uncertain terms I am not wearing polyester, particularly in a boiler room because if you get a flash back, it melts (had to lay it on thick) as my Senior Surveyors boss was an ex brown job, Reme
(motor mechanic). My senior surveyor was ex Port Line, but couldn't stick up for himself, never mind any of his group. So the boss said we are not buying a Nomex suit. Ha Ha! No, I said just a heavy duty 100% cotton, in white. Got the cotton, but it came in Blue with a yellow/ gold stripe across the chest. This said the wags, was the level of $h17 we were in. Good winter bs for gardening.

One boiler in Windsor that used to run on heavy, I would come out looking like the WI cricket team, they had a shower, so would have one before leaving.

Last edited by sternchallis; 13th May 2020 at 21:39..
Old 13th May 2020, 21:47
Active: 1973 - 1983

Yes remember Alan Johnson at SS, used to take us for Stress and Ttrains and Materials, Martensite and all that stuff. He was still there in 1992. There was only Jeff who was the young one of all the Extras lecturers, who took us for Thermo, think he was the head wallah in charge of Cadets for admin stuff.

I think all Marine lecturers at both Hull and SS were good as they were of the same cloth as us. As we were there to learn it was easier for them to teach, plus they could pick up snippets of newer ships from us, hear the stories of being on the bells (the bells).
Old 6th June 2020, 22:34

I was a Shell apprentice starting Phase 1 in Glasgow - Stow and West Princes Street, Sept 1966 and Phase 3 at Springburn Tech in 1969.
I was a poor, lazy student who just did enough to get by. Friday lunchtime was a pint at the pub. Unfortunately, we had a classroom that got very warm when the sun was shining. Last class was Naval Architecture and to try and not fall asleep, I'd get the desk right at the front, closest to the lecture. One afternoon, the lecturer tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to snore more quietly.
The worst time was when the cleaning ladies woke me up - everyone had left, including my flat mates who drove me in.
Many years later, ended up as an operator at a thermal power station in New Zealand. We wore white cotton overalls until we got corporatised and got company colours. As OSH rules came in added hi-viz bits then reflective tape strips and finally anti-flash as we used to operate equipment up to 230Kv switch gear. These overalls were dearer than my own suit!!
Old 11th June 2020, 14:11
Active: 1960 - Present

South Shields

This picture taken from the booklet produced to celebrate 150 years of The Marine School shows the lecturers from the 1960s. It blows up quite well to get a better view of some of the great characters; Messrs Powell, Embleton, Duffy, Thorpe, Spawls, Flack, and of course Kraal, as ever complete with pipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20200611 (3).jpg (20.5 KB, 30 views)