Empress of Canada passenger list 1964 - Ships Nostalgia
07:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Empress of Canada passenger list 1964

User Tag List

Old 26th February 2017, 19:57

Empress of Canada passenger list 1964

Hello friends, I came to Canada from Britain with my family in November 1964 on the Empress of Canada. I can't obtain the passenger list for that crossing from Immigration Canada because of privacy laws and the U.K. National Archives don't have records past 1960. I welcome any ideas on how I might track down the list. Did every passenger receive a list ( my parents didn't keep it if that is the case)? Thank you!
Old 26th February 2017, 20:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1968

I was a Radio Officer on the Empress of Canada in 1964, we certainly received a passenger list with every sailing so assumed the passengers did as well, while I have quite a bit of memorabilia from my time on there passenger lists are not some of the items.
Old 26th February 2017, 22:00

Thank you for replying. While you don't have a passenger list, it is really neat to hear from someone who worked on the ship at that time!
Old 27th February 2017, 09:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Ragush and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 27th February 2017, 14:24

On the immigration to Canada, there was a family from Chester who were friends of my mum and dad,the lady asked my mum if she could borrow a suitcase and as I was at home she asked me if I would lend her a fiver as her eldest lad was going to a farming college and they were a bit short sadly I was near broke after being ashore and needed my few bob to pay the sailors home before joining another ship so I didn't help.My mum didn't see her for a week or so,I picked up the Liverpool echo paper and lol and behold there on the front page was the family the dad ,wife and all their kids about 6 or 8 I can't remember how many for sure all on the gangway of the Empress of England or the Britain again I'm not sure which ,so much for my mum seeing her suitcase again I was glad I didn't loan them the fiver,but my mum told me they had bought all sorts ,furniture,t.vs etc on the never never then sold it ,I wonder where they are now? Crafty sods.
Old 27th February 2017, 18:35

My location
Pier 21 in Halifax NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragush View Post
Hello friends, I came to Canada from Britain with my family in November 1964 on the Empress of Canada. I can't obtain the passenger list for that crossing from Immigration Canada because of privacy laws and the U.K. National Archives don't have records past 1960. I welcome any ideas on how I might track down the list. Did every passenger receive a list ( my parents didn't keep it if that is the case)? Thank you!

Hi
Check this website https://www.pier21.ca/home
for a price you should be able to have them trace whoever your looking for. Good Luck.
Old 28th February 2017, 20:43

Thank you for suggesting Pier21. We were in Halifax two years ago for a wedding and my husband and I took the opportunity to spend time at The Pier21 museum. My husband was able to find records of his grandparents arrival in Canada, which was great. They had a binder of souvenir passenger lists for the Empress of Canada, but not for my family's crossing. Your note prompted me to send them an email to see if they have obtained one since then and I received a prompt reply saying that, unfortunately, they have not. I can, however, request my own official landing record from the government after filling in a personal access to information form, which is fine. Pier 21 tell me that since I immigrated I can ask for my own recon at no cost. I'd still love to find a souvenir passenger list.
Old 7th June 2020, 00:36

My husband and l left Greenock Sept.16, 1964 on the E of C - through the Straits of Belle Isle, docking in Quebec City to clear customs & immigration, then disembarking in Montreal on Seotember 22nd. and train to Toronto. I still have the passenger list and songbook, also used to have playing cards. The mist famous passenger travelling with us, though in 1st. Class, was Alfie Bass of the tv show Bootsie & Snudge. After the initial bout sea sickness around the top of Ireland, we had a great time. It was like a luxury cruise to us newly weds, we loved every minute, the movies, the entertainment, the meals and met new friends who took us under their wing. Thank goodness my husband had a job waiting for him as we stepped ashore with only a few dollars,