Esso Tankers - merged threads - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Esso Tankers - merged threads

User Tag List

Old 27th February 2007, 21:38

OK, thanks for that. I think you would have remembered Alan anyway!
Old 10th March 2007, 22:24

The Esso Clyde or Petro Clyde as she was latterly known was scrapped in India in 1998/98 . The Humber i dont know about as she was not one of the ship in the UK fleet when i joined in 1990
Old 29th April 2007, 10:19
Auke Visser

Hello all,

For information about T2-tankers, see my new site called:
Auke Vissers Famous T - Tankers site.
Link is : http://t2tanker.piranho.de/
For the Chantilly direct link : http://t2tanker.piranho.com/id211.htm
For the Missionary Ridge I have not yet found any info.

Greetings,

Auke Visser.
Old 29th April 2007, 18:58

April 29 - Happy Birthday AUKE and thanks for the memories
Old 30th April 2007, 09:43

was on esso tanker beacon street she allso ithink was a german captured .at that time she was one of the bigist tankers afloat .had a blue with the mate said ta.ta in naples . old sinner jim
Old 14th August 2007, 22:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1973 - 1993

Hi John I joined my first ship the "Esso Lincoln" in 1973 and as it was on the Eastern seaboard/Venezuela run we were in port every 5 days.It was a really enjoyable 1st voyage.
I then joined the Esso Hampshire later that year and spent over a month in Malta drydock so again not a bad trip.
Then I joined the Esso Pembrokeshire at Augusta,Sicily and spent 5 months on board without stepping off her once due to marshall law in Malaysia.
That put me off tankers and I went on the pool after that.
You probably wouldnt have known me though as I was just an assistant operator (remember integrated crew ?)in the catering then down the pump room ha ha .Can't complain about the wages they paid though. Regards Graham K
Old 27th January 2008, 11:54

hi john,
andy dunn here,i sailed with esso from 76 till 91 in the catering dept,mainly
deep sea. also in the catering was tom and ronnie two of my brothers. my dad
was on the deck as a-b,.only tom still going to sea now,
have some great memories of my time with esso,like the horse racing nights on the way up to the gulf some canny money crossed hands those nights,
also the dry dock in singapore,think i did five,getting back to the ship at five in the morning to start work at six ,shattered,but recovered by the following night to go ashore again.
some great guys,some i remember at the moment, brian randel,davy dodsworth,ian heywood,davy meads,could go on for ever,
been ashore since 91 but the 17 years at sea were the best times.
bye for now andy dunn.
Old 4th February 2008, 13:01

hi bondie,
just to correct the name,k ross ,was,nt the old man ,he was the purser,sailed with him a couple of times ,while steward.used to have us stripping the polish off the allyways in bare feet,said it would do our feet the world of good,must admit did no halm,
andy dunn
Old 25th February 2008, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkauld View Post
I sailed with Esso as both third and second deck officer between 1972 and 1977. Anybody else out there who was with Esso at that time? Also do they have an association for us ex seagoing personnel; I haven't managed to find one and have lost contact with the people I sailed with.
Ships sailed on were Esso Cardiff/Esso Newcastle/Esso Yorkshire/Esso Hampshire/Esso Mercia/Esso Ulidia/Esso Anglia and Esso Warwickshire. Like to hear from anyone I may have sailed with
hi im john jack able seaman sailed on esso ships at that time
Old 9th March 2008, 13:24

hi i sailed on the esso aalborg in 1967 even got stuck in the suez in the 6 day war on her.
we were the last ship out of the canal before it closed.
A great tanker great crew great life.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:15

My location
Smile esso anglia mercia lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkauld View Post
I sailed with Esso as both third and second deck officer between 1972 and 1977. Anybody else out there who was with Esso at that time? Also do they have an association for us ex seagoing personnel; I haven't managed to find one and have lost contact with the people I sailed with.
Ships sailed on were Esso Cardiff/Esso Newcastle/Esso Yorkshire/Esso Hampshire/Esso Mercia/Esso Ulidia/Esso Anglia and Esso Warwickshire. Like to hear from anyone I may have sailed with
Isailed on the anglia mercia & lancashire 1972 / 1975 had a great time on them all Mal doherty membership c/o ida doherty
Old 16th March 2008, 23:22

My location
I sailed on the Anglia mercia& lancashire 1972--- 1975 as A/B enjoyed all three but went back coasting again Yes you can join the Royal Navy assoc
or if there is a branch of the Merchant navy assco near your area

Malcolm doherty memship c/o idadoherty
Old 13th April 2008, 19:39

My location
Angry eso anglia

HI I,m mal was on the esso anglia 1972 running gulf r/dam s/pore on to esso mercia esso lancanshire great ships good crew &grub do you have any photos on esso anglias deck accom bridge
Old 15th April 2008, 07:40

Hi Andy,

Sure we sailed together - was in Esso from 77 to 94...........

Ken Ross - remember him well. He was Purser on the Scotia. Woke up one morning with a throbbing gum, and during breakfast asked Ken if he had some bicarb for my ulcer. He appeared in the wheelhouse an hour later with the Old Man (Bugsy Boler) who was contemplating organising a medi-vac....... Ken's life was misery for days when the O/M discovered the truth!!!! Both great guys though.

Harvey
Old 16th June 2008, 01:34

Hi John I sailed on the Warwickshire (deck) in 64 and again in 68. Good ship good times
Old 18th June 2008, 12:59

Hi Andy,
I remember your name from the Mariner magazine, was you on the Demetia in 1980?, also you mentioned Brain Randel, was he a big cook from Scotland? I think I sailed with him on the Tynne. Davey Meads name sounds familier was he a steward?

Regards
Trevor George (Diesel)
Old 21st August 2008, 12:12

anybody who might know Mr Ed Rana of Esso Asia and Esso int'l New York

hello I have been looking for my friend Ed Rana who was a liason officer of Esso Asia / Esso Int'l NY ( 1977-1978 ) for quite awhile....he might be able to help me find a lady I have been looking for named Miss Claire/Clarita Quijano who lived at his parents apartment in Manila Philippines in 1977-78. pla reply by PM or email. God bless and I pray one of you may know his whereabouts

Last edited by K urgess; 21st August 2008 at 12:14.. Reason: Telephone number removed for security reasons
Old 21st August 2008, 15:10

John, I do know that the coastal mob of ex Esso guys have a bi-annual get together, I think the next one is in 2009. I do not know if the deepsea guys have one I expect they do, will make some enquiries and see if I can help.
The two guys I know were both deepsea and coastal with Esso, they should know hopefully.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:40

I was S.O.S on the D.L.Harper in '49, & Esso Birmingham in '53, Great crews & grub , best company I ever sailed in ,which gave me a bias in later years to always go to Esso service Stns for my petrol ! Ron
Old 10th October 2008, 20:43

some names seem familiar on the esso thread.sailed with john jack,andy dunn,also with jimmy george ,could he be trevor,s brother.
Old 11th October 2008, 19:27

aberdeen

any one know if the ex-crew of the esso fife or the esso aberdeen or scaberdeen as it was known by some,have regular reunions.
Old 11th October 2008, 20:17

Good evening, I served my time in Esso from 74 till 87. Your name seems familiar but can't place your face. I got 2nd mates in 78 but was on the Ulidia with Alan Washbourne in 77 and Mercia after that. I did a short stint on the Clyde just prior to going up for my ticket.
Andy
Old 14th December 2008, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfield View Post
Welcome Graham; ever come across Alan Eadie in your Esso days.
I came across this site by accedent and its braught back some memories, i was with Esso for 23 years 10 of them on the Scotia as pumpman. Ian Smith was master of the Scotia when she came out,one of the best masters i ever came across. Bugsy Bowler was yoyo mate master he was ok, well sort of. I think he must have bought his ticket off someone in Panama, only kidding Bugsy if your watching, but you sure did scare the **** out me a few times as mate. You asked about an Alan Eadie the only Eadie i came across was Chief Officer on the Northumbria, and yes you wouldnt forget him he was a workaholic he told me that he used to drive taxis in Glasgow, well there was many a late night when i wished he had never given it up. Sorry if ive butted in where i shouldnt have put it down to being Welsh.
Jim Butland
Old 19th December 2008, 13:41

Question avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackaroo View Post
I came across this site by accedent and its braught back some memories, i was with Esso for 23 years 10 of them on the Scotia as pumpman. Ian Smith was master of the Scotia when she came out,one of the best masters i ever came across. Bugsy Bowler was yoyo mate master he was ok, well sort of. I think he must have bought his ticket off someone in Panama, only kidding Bugsy if your watching, but you sure did scare the **** out me a few times as mate. You asked about an Alan Eadie the only Eadie i came across was Chief Officer on the Northumbria, and yes you wouldnt forget him he was a workaholic he told me that he used to drive taxis in Glasgow, well there was many a late night when i wished he had never given it up. Sorry if ive butted in where i shouldnt have put it down to being Welsh.
Jim Butland
jim,remember the matco avon.
Old 14th February 2009, 19:15

All the Esso fleet were changed to Petro eventually they got rid of the ships, I was made redundant in 1999 after 20 year with them,took the Ulidia to scrap in taiwan, closly followed by the Hibernia, they stuck all the lads that were for the chop on the Petro Tyne in Le Havre, then scrapped the ship and the crew.
I never heard much about the ships that were left Aberdeen/Fife etc but I guess they soon went as well,
I am still in contact with a few "ex Shipmates"