Limited edition on building a model of the barque Gulf Stream - Ships Nostalgia
23:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Limited edition on building a model of the barque Gulf Stream

User Tag List

Old 1st November 2019, 09:49

Limited edition on building a model of the barque Gulf Stream

My latest printed book, A4 size 102 pages, 240 images, 25,608 words. Devoted to the construction of a 25 feet to 1 inch model of the British barque Gulf Stream. Covers building the hull, making a display case, masting and rigging, plus the history of the ship. Limited edition of 46 copies. Deck and sail plan included in book. 12.99 excluding postage. Please message me if interested - Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Cover (Large).JPG (163.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 5 (Large).JPG (243.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 8 (Large).JPG (206.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Gulf Stream (Large).JPG (231.2 KB, 9 views)

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 1st November 2019 at 09:53..
Old 30th January 2020, 21:15

This has been a bit of a "damp squib." After the initial rush, things slowed down to almost stop. The general feeling was that the book was good, but far too complicated and elite to be considered as a building guide. Far from elite, however, more like "Bush League" because of my rather crude building methods, often frowned on by craftsmen, that allow me to build quickly and get fair results. Anyway, just over three months from publication, only three copies remain, so I have recovered all the production costs, but it has not proved popular enough to warrant further print runs. Here is the building slideshow via Utube - https://youtu.be/RkzuzNRI2Qw

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 31st January 2020 at 11:29.. Reason: updated
Old 30th January 2020, 21:29

Well done! I am not a modeller, but I can sure see the quality of your book and the model itself. For this size model and beautiful detail is exceptional.

Question. Do you do models of steamships or only sail? How about 'tugboats'?

How about a model of the famous Bustler Class tug 'TURMOIL'? Model and book, as you have done for this one of GULF STREAM. Include full plans of the vessel. These plans are available, so not such a difficult task to find.

Just a thought.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TURMOIL OTS MILDRED AUGUST 1954.jpg (181.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg TURMOIL OTS.jpg (362.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TURMOIL tow crop.jpg (96.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th January 2020, 21:37

A diorama of the ocean going tug "Turmoil"

by Robert H Mouat (British, 20th century) the model, in 1/6 in.=1 ft. scale, set in in a modeled and painted rolling sea, the hull weathered and well detailed with deck houses, port holes, boats on davits, ladders, railings, and other details. Displayed in a brass framed glass case with a mahogany base. 21 x 10 x 10 in.(53 x 25 x 25 cm.) cased.

Sold forUS$ 3,904inc. premium
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TURMOIL Model.jpg (43.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 31st January 2020, 07:17

Thanks for reply. Very nice model of the tug. Although I am equally at home with sail, steam and motor ships, I haven't done many tugs. In fact I have only done one - SA Everard! I like to keep well away from the most popular subjects like Cutty Sark, Titanic, Victory, Bounty etc. My main interest is with ships built between about 1850 and about 1965 from coasters, tankers, tramp steamers, cargo liners, ore carriers, passenger liners etc. My last major shipbuilding book - Miniature Shipbuilder 2015, 158 pages, A4 size was a runaway success and has been reprinted a number of times, but is currently sold out, although the download e-book version continues to do well. The book covers both sail and steamships, and maybe that is where the Gulf Stream book went wrong. Most model shipbuilders convince themselves that the rigging is too difficult, where it is really very simple, as it is all wire glued on in short lengths with no fiddly knots anywhere. It is far easier to build a miniature square-rigger than a complex cargo liner with all its deck machinery, multiple decks, windows, portholes, lifeboats, ladders, rails etc. Maybe the next book will be a mixture of sail and steam.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA Everard (Large).jpg (219.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Star (Large).jpg (123.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Arabia.JPG (82.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Tuscan Star.JPG (84.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Lord Ripon (Large).JPG (270.1 KB, 2 views)

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 31st January 2020 at 07:21.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 31st January 2020, 07:20

Here is Flying Enterprise of Turmoil association -
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Enterprise (Large).jpg (123.5 KB, 4 views)

Miniature Merchant Ships