Hello - Ships Nostalgia
10:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello

User Tag List

Old 5th March 2020, 15:51

Hello

Hi, I was a deck cadet with Houlder Bros/Furness Withy from 1978-1982. Sailed on the Megantic, Dunster Grange, Elstree Grange (maiden voyage), Joule, Oroya, Deseado & Andes.

It would be great to hear from anyone who remembers me.

Best wishes

Gary Quin (from Dublin)
Old 5th March 2020, 16:57
Department: Navigation

I remember you

hi Gary

I was on the Megantic with you the other cadets John Payne , Sid French , val tobolewski, Peter burgess , and some others . I think you are in some of my old pictures
Old 6th March 2020, 10:01

Hi Steve

Yes I remember it well. We also met on my last trip when I was on the Andes and you were 3/o on another vessel. It was somewhere on the west coast of SA. It would have been late 1981 or early 1982 as I started college in February 1982.

I sailed with Val Tobolewski again on my third trip. I often wonder where everyone is now.

I'm sure I've got photos of you as well but they're a bit faded now.
Old 11th March 2020, 13:18
Department: Navigation

hi Gary

I was 3/0 on the Derwent but that was on the east coast , maybe you were on the Deseado then. did you stay at sea ?
I stuck at sea and in fact still work at harwich as a pilot for felixstowe etc etc ,
I stayed with furness until 84 , married came ashore for 6 months . hated the job ashore so went back to sea with Trinity house , then Humber pilots , the 7 years doing worldwide ship to ship transfers and the last 13 years at harwich . we have 5 grown up children and 9 grandchildren .
are you still in Ireland . I will get copies of those photographs and send the to you .Val tobolewski lives in London with wife and one daughter , unfortunately when he got married his wife did not like his merchant navy friends and we lost contact . I meet John Payne a number of years ago he was with cable and wireless and still full of bullshit . as to the others I have never seen them again .
all the best

Stephen