Andrew Weir - The Blue Plaque Submission - Ships Nostalgia
10:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Andrew Weir - The Blue Plaque Submission

User Tag List

Old 6th March 2020, 14:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Andrew Weir - The Blue Plaque Submission

Following on from previous posts and threads this post is just to let you know that I have today (6th March) received notification from the Blue Plaques team at English Heritage that our submission for a Blue Plaque has been unsuccessful. The English Heritage historian involved and the Blue Plaques Panel decided not to take things further. See the attached PDF for their response. Well, we tried!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Andrew Weir Blue Plaque.pdf (193.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 6th March 2020, 16:06

Re my last post I note that the PDF needs to be downloaded so I'll attach a jpeg to this one so you won't need to download (hopefully) but you might need to zoom in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andrew Weir blue Plaque Sumission.jpg (108.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 6th March 2020, 18:29
Active: 1953 - 1981

Andrew Weir's Blue Plaque

I would like to see in whose honour this year's plaques were awarded. It would be interesting to see how each nomination was evaluated. As a long-time resident and tax payer of the Greater London area and the substantial personal grant of public amenity land to Hampstead I wonder if the evaluation of Weir considered this and the many other contributions he made to shipbuilding and communications. I hope a further evaluation is warranted.

Alistair
Old 7th March 2020, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
I would like to see in whose honour this year's plaques were awarded. It would be interesting to see how each nomination was evaluated. As a long-time resident and tax payer of the Greater London area and the substantial personal grant of public amenity land to Hampstead I wonder if the evaluation of Weir considered this and the many other contributions he made to shipbuilding and communications. I hope a further evaluation is warranted.
Alistair,

I have a feeling that even if he had donated Hyde Park to London their decision would be the same!

Searching the internet regarding access to the Blue Plaque panel's deliberations there is one case from 2010 where someone made a FOI request for the minutes of the meetings; it makes for interesting reading:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...e_plaques_pane

I imagine one could try that route again and get access to the minutes of the latest meeting.
Old 10th March 2020, 13:27
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Blue Plaque decisions

Can't help feeling that the decision is a wrong one in the light of Andrew Weir's achievements. For one thing, building the largest British fleet of sailing ships on record must count for something. Several plaques, in fact. Especially when viewed against other ' worthy's' achievements. Unfortunately, as a born cynic who is so often proved right, I feel the evaluation might be made with other, as yet, unknown factors in play.

There is always a way round these things as I'm sure we all know. Just have to press the correct 'button'. How about approaching a likely MP or Minister with Maritime knowledge and interest? It's a pity John Prescott is not available these days.
Old 10th March 2020, 13:45

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
Alistair,

I have a feeling that even if he had donated Hyde Park to London their decision would be the same!

Searching the internet regarding access to the Blue Plaque panel's deliberations there is one case from 2010 where someone made a FOI request for the minutes of the meetings; it makes for interesting reading:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...e_plaques_pane

I imagine one could try that route again and get access to the minutes of the latest meeting.
Hi Mike, Had a look through the site reached with the link you posted, and it is interesting reading indeed. One idea suggested was to circumvent the official ' Blue Plaque' body, and commission a private but maybe even grander looking plaque for placing in a suitable place such as 21 Bury st or as close as possible. We could ' crowd fund' for the cash which I am sure could be easily raised from grateful ex Bank Line people.
Old 10th March 2020, 16:17

Hi Alan,

A private plaque is a good idea. Depending on where one wished to mount it some sort of permission would be required if on a building. The nearest building to 21 bury Street is the 'Gherkin' or one of the original buildings opposite where the office used to be. It might be worth touting the idea through the Bank Line Association?

Mike
Old 10th March 2020, 21:29

My location
Plaque

Yes, the Association might be the vehicle. I would be willing to help with canvassing on banklineonline.com or the bankline nostalgia site on Facebook.

Re the location. I am not familiar with the Bury St area these days but it's obviously important that the location should be significant, i.e. relevant. I suppose the citation blurb could read - " Opposite this plaque stood the headquarters of an iconic shipping company .......etc. etc..." Not sure what usually goes in the text, but would like to have a stab at the wording!!
Old 11th March 2020, 13:34
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
The original Registered Office at 94 Hope Street Glasgow still stands....

I couldn't remember the number so googled via Companies House and came up with the attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bank Line-pdf.pdf (932.9 KB, 27 views)

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 11th March 2020, 16:01

Thanks for that information Duncan112, a very useful discovery.