Most memorable bar visited "up the road" ? - Page 15 - Ships Nostalgia
02:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Most memorable bar visited "up the road" ?

User Tag List

Old 27th March 2020, 17:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 2016

Dont know why but the Moulin Rouge in Beira sprung into my mind. Was a dive close to the port and the first visit on a run ashore and catered to the needs of the seafaring community. Seem to remember the bar stools being made from elephant feet/lower leg -cannot say for sure if this was the case since my main focus was probably on the beer.

Looked it up on Google and still there albeit seems to be a upper class restraunt now. Would be curious to know if it makes more money as a restraunt or as a dock road dive?
Old 27th March 2020, 18:12

Lee’s love nest Galveston Texas 1970.
I’ve posted this years ago on best port.
The waitresses would dance topless on quiet nights and sometimes they would go on the small stage and make various sized bottles partially disappear.
We went there every night for a week, on the Friday night it was packed and one of them produced a sombrero and said if the crowd filled it with dollar bills they would give us a show we would never forget. The sombrero was promptly filled but one of the two waitresses wouldn’t go through with it so we all got our dollar back.
I don’t know what they would have done to entertain us but it would have been worth a dollar to find out.
Old 27th March 2020, 20:27

Hi I spent about 18 months on the coast 68 69 an I remember the Dock tavern
Goole and the Bodega And the Port Bar Cork and the Bear in Swansea there where a couple of Pubs outside the Bute street Dock Gates Cardiff as a 21 year old they were hard places to be in but absolutely fantastic to have been in and I wish I could do it again
Granty
Old 27th March 2020, 21:02

Moulin Rouge and Chanticleer in Recife. Montgomery's​ in Sydney, Charley Hotham in Melbourne, Cleo's in Freemantle and probably hundreds of other first bars as well as many of those mentioned. Talk about see the World through the bottom of an empty glass. Over thirty years dry now but wouldn't have missed a minute.
Old 27th March 2020, 21:26

Most memorable bar visited "up the road"?

Moulin Rouge, Chanticleer in Recife. Montgomery's in Sydney, Charley Hotham's in Melbourne, Cleo's in Freemantle, the Nash in Brisbane and probably hundreds of first bars including many already mentioned. Talk about "see the World through the bottom of an empty glass". Thirty years dry now but I wouldn't have missed a minute.
Old 27th March 2020, 21:32

To be sure, to be sure.
John
Old 27th March 2020, 23:08
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1970

I seem to remember a bar in Yokohama called "Harbour Lights" anyone know of it? "Massages" upstairs and a bar downstairs.
Old 28th March 2020, 10:43
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

The one in Ramsey doesn't offer that service (but it did a pensioners' discount for meals - perhaps they felt that they would have made a loss if they had had to do the same with an 'upstairs').

(There's one in Peel too. I'll check that one out and report back).
Old 28th March 2020, 18:35
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1970

Not sure if that would be legal on the Isle of Man haha.
Old 28th March 2020, 19:11
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Presently yes but both I and one of our politicians are lobbying for legalisation although for different reasons. As per my letter to the local papers (published):

FROM D. Varley,
TO* * * The Editor Isle of Man newspapers.

Sir,

I hope you will recall the letter I submitted for publication when the Government first sought to milk the unwary punter by supporting Egaming.

At that time I suggested that if HM Treasury were seeking a living from immoral earnings then a brothel would be preferable, being wholly less immoral than the promotion of gambling.*

Now that some of the wheels are coming off their chosen wagon I understand that the Government may now turn to rip-off my idea.

As is the way with politicians I suspect that the instigator will seek to have any such institution named for himself. If there is any justice this should be my privilege. It must surely be Varley's Knocking-shop, not Robertshaw's.

Regards

David Varley

(I have removed my address and telephone number incase the crawlbots or whatever they are come and steal them in the night)
Old 29th March 2020, 15:13
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1980

Have got the most expensive matchbox collection in the world. A big bag from all the bars (or most) that I visited in Japan. Will get up in the loft and find which trunk it's in and put some names up. Start with Top Hat in Motomachi, Kobe. Owned/ by Ditchy.
Old 29th March 2020, 19:33
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

The bar of the "Ship in the Hole" at Wallsend drydock on the Tyne.

A pint and a stottie at the bar in order to warm up for the afternoon.

Exotic dancers for entertainment and the first place that I saw wire mesh around the stage, to protect the poor dancers from coins and beermats being thrown at them.

The only place to go when there during a freezing December drydock on a Ferry. (How they got that paint to stick in those temperatures still remains a mystery to me :-).

I read that the "Ship in the Hole" has been knocked down and that they found the remains of Roman baths beneath it, so that site must be one of the very oldest "entertainment" sites going. :-)

Regards, Mike
Old 29th March 2020, 19:57

Shed 25 in Montreal.

btw D Varley, Harbour Lights here in Peel is shut, as are all other restaurants, but I'm not sure whether it was because of "living off immoral earnings" or because of this confounded Coronavirus thing!
Old 29th March 2020, 22:21
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1980

Mike Harrisons post reminds me of the pubs in Leith when I did a BP instrumentation course there in the 70's.
At lunchtime there would be 'ladies' in various stages of dress or undress demanding a shillin' for the beastie (juke box). They would then proceed to do supposedly exotic dance for the provider of the said bob.
A bit tame for those of us who had already got a few trips under our belts!
Old 29th March 2020, 23:55

Basil (349)

Reminded me of a time Belize. We were anchored out loading sugar. I had a poisoned finger and the bosun also needed​to see the doctor. We had a bit of time to kill so went for a beer. We found a lovely bar with a balcony overlooking the harbour, nice, cold beer, marvelous. Anyway saw the quack and thought we'd go back to that nice bar. We were trying to find it again when two rats ran down some stairs, across the pavement in front of us and down the drain. We searched for the bar and it gradually dawned on me it was up the stairs where the rats ran out. The bosun who was a bit of a hard case didn't seem bothered so up we went. While the barman was getting our beer there was a scratching sound and a pink paw appeared, followed by a bloody great day.We sat at a table the barman sat at another table put his head down and went to sleep. The rat was strolling around the bar like a domestic cat, about the same size too. "Why don't he kill that f****** thing" stammered the bosun. "Do you want another one Bo" said I quite enjoying the bosun's discomfort. "No let's get the f*** out of here"
Old 30th March 2020, 01:01
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle Ray View Post
The Esplanade in Port Headland and also Monty's bar in Manly Sydney were I first met Shirley the shore Bosun, now that was an experience :0))
I was in Monty's in 1971 and met Shirley quite an exprience.
What l remember was a J/E from Springburn making a typical Bluenoser entrance."The Bears are here tonight "only to get his nether regions groped by Shirley,to which he reacted with Ah yer hauns no big enuff.

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 30th March 2020, 01:43
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogd View Post
A bit tame for those of us who had already got a few trips under our belts!
On a project, the Civil Discipline engineer came over from Mexico City. Hot to trot, he wanted to be taken to a comely bar in Lazaro Cardenas, Michoacan (the best being Junior's).

He was fired up by a pole dancer [They also had a shower cubicle on the stage ??????]. As she rotated slowly, and sensuously, down the pole, I asked him,
"Do you think they wipe that down with Lysol between acts?".
His reply was classic:
"You've now spoilt everything!!!!!".
Used to get the TVs to look after the Pick Up while we "toured the sights"!!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 30th March 2020, 03:16

barlowjohn - in my time, the 60's, the Charles Hotham hotel / Melbourne was a very run down establishment frequented by wharfies and deros ( Oz slang for homeless derelict men ). It was an "early opener, 0600, and, being just up the road from the docks, many wharfies had a liquid breakfast before going to work.
The Sussex hotel in Sydney was similar but a late opener. Good place for a fight and cold beer. Had a very "select" bunch of female regulars hence the pub was referred to as The Bunch Of C>>>>.
But for a great bar. Any one of the 100 or so in Olongapo / Philippines
during the 60's.
Old 30th March 2020, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilkinger View Post
barlowjohn - in my time, the 60's, the Charles Hotham hotel / Melbourne was a very run down establishment frequented by wharfies and deros ( Oz slang for homeless derelict men ). It was an "early opener, 0600, and, being just up the road from the docks, many wharfies had a liquid breakfast before going to work.
The Sussex hotel in Sydney was similar but a late opener. Good place for a fight and cold beer. Had a very "select" bunch of female regulars hence the pub was referred to as The Bunch Of C>>>>.
But for a great bar. Any one of the 100 or so in Olongapo / Philippines
during the 60's.
The Hotham was a right bloodhouse ,, not only wharfies and derros, but also all the crims in Melbourne drank there with their mates from the Painters and Dockers, spivs with broached cargo for sale ranging from Italian leather jackets to Mercedes saloons, assorted murderers, and to make up the drunken numbers were a shifty group trying not to look like the Consorting Squad,(under cover cops on anti criminal conspiracy duty), half of whom were bigger criminal conspirators than the rest of the congregation. Seriously dangerous place.
Old 30th March 2020, 12:24
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymuir View Post
Mosquito Bar and the next door Venus Rooms in Bangkok.
Regards, Roy.
Mosquito and Venus brought back memories of visits in Ben Line!
Old 30th March 2020, 13:36
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnelstays View Post
I was in Monty's in 1971 and met Shirley quite an exprience.
What l remember was a J/E from Springburn making a typical Bluenoser entrance."The Bears are here tonight "only to get his nether regions groped by Shirley,to which he reacted with Ah yer hauns no big enuff.
Strangley enough she did exactly the same to me then picked me up and said " Fight me or F*** me" I chose the latter but was fortunate after a few beers it never happened. I had some good crack with her and her girls. great times
Old 30th March 2020, 14:00

Just behind the Motomachi in Kobe we have Bar Pandora(with Suzie), the 3 Queens next door, Club Blue Rose, Club Bamboo, Club Licky, Club Blue Sea and many more. You could go ashore with Y20,000, have a real good night and get back to the ship the next morning with change. Sadly all gone now. In a chat with the padre in the Mish a few years ago, he said that not a lot of seamen get to the town. Too quick a turn around and too far away.
Others are Club Baby Doll in Yokohama,Bar Shinobu & Bar Texas in Moji, Club blue Sea & Bar Emi in Nagoya.
Oh happy days.
Old 2nd April 2020, 00:30

I remember the Pandora well. They had Cougars in there!

John T
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:29

Hi Trotter,
You can't call that nice lady Suzie a Cougar. is more like it.
Was on the Japan/Gulf run on and off from '72 to '78. Great ships, people and memories.
Geoff.
Old 3rd April 2020, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffu View Post
Hi Trotter,
You can't call that nice lady Suzie a Cougar. is more like it.
Was on the Japan/Gulf run on and off from '72 to '78. Great ships, people and memories.
Geoff.
You're right in every respect, Geoff.

John T