Glasgow Nautical College. - Page 8 - Ships Nostalgia
04:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Glasgow Nautical College.

User Tag List

Old 14th November 2019, 12:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Combined Chiefs!
Not a chance.
You need the brains of an Archbishop to sit for that exam.
I only just made it.
QED.
Old 14th November 2019, 13:48
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1984

Stephen

I don't remember the Drummonds. We had lecturer called King for EK. A South East Asian guy named Ng was in my class sitting not far from me and this King asked him how you pronounce his name. His response was "like yours but without the ki" 😂

Did you have one of those far east copies of the Kandy books, all neatly bound into one volume? At Mates I got referred in Electricity & Electronic (?) and so spent a month learning "Electricity Made Simple" parrot fashion, misleading title for book if ever there was one!

I also remember Bill Whiteford's first Business & Law class when he announced it was a boring subject. He wasn't wrong. But most of it was easy for me cos I worked for Salvesens at that time and they were quite old-fashioned so I could do portage bills, knew all about notes on owners, etc. which most of my classmates had never seen.

I also remember having to hang around on a Friday to get attendance slip to send to my company so that I could get paid! As well as things like my birthday which we celebrated in style at lunchtime and beyond! Happy days

Ian
Old 19th December 2019, 20:12
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by icgiddings View Post
Having seen both the discussion on here and the redevelopment of GCNS I thought I would contribute some of my memories of the place

I did First Mates and Masters there in late 70s, early 80s and the lecturers I remember were Andrew Callendar, George Gordon, Alistair Douglas, Bill Whiteford and somebody named King I think who tried to teach us deckies engineering. I will always remember his plaintive cry "Do you boys never look under the bonnet of your cars!"

After leaving the sea I became a lecturer in Aberdeen and renewed my acquaintance with GCNS as SQA External Verifier for some of their courses. I went there for the then International Association of Navigation Schools meeting one year and for a job interview another. Although I didn't get the job the then principal wrote me personal letter encouraging me to persevere.

Finally after I moved south I went back on the sad occasion of the funeral of the aforementioned principal and on another occasion to speak to the local branch of the Nautical Institute. And so I have both happy and sad memories of GCNS but it played a big part in my career
Hi Ian
George Gordon here.
I am the only one left of the mentioned names.
Alistair Douglas died in July last year.
If you look in some of the earlier replies you may recognise some of the faces in the lunch photos.
I gave up compass adjusting in August 2018. At 81 I thought that climbing ladders on fishing boats,RN ships, tugs and jetties was too much.
Old 20th December 2019, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelerous View Post
Hi Ian
George Gordon here.
I am the only one left of the mentioned names.
Alistair Douglas died in July last year.
If you look in some of the earlier replies you may recognise some of the faces in the lunch photos.
I gave up compass adjusting in August 2018. At 81 I thought that climbing ladders on fishing boats,RN ships, tugs and jetties was too much.
Hi George
Good to hear from you but saddened to hear you are the last of the cohort of lecturers who taught me at mates and masters.
As you may know I went from Aberdeen College to the Nautical Institute finishing my career at IMCA. When I retired from IMCA at 60 (I'd always promised my wife I would go at 60 and made it with one week to spare!) I appeared in the Offshore Support Journal top 50 industry leaders, which must in many ways be done you guys at GCNS. I appeared at No.46 so my children kept me firmly grounded by asking why I wasn't higher up!
I had noticed that you were involved in compass adjusting and was racking my brain to remember if you taught us compass work at masters. The reason I ask is because when I was at Aberdeen I supplemented my teachers pay but tutoring two of Thomas Gunn's apprentices for the compass adjusting exam. So that may be done to you as well.
The other strong post college memory I have is when Aberdeen had decided to try its hand at delivering HND, albeit ultimately unsuccessfully, I came down for some meeting with Alistair Douglas who was very helpful. Then some years later when I attended Chris Hunter's funeral I spoke to Alistair at the tea and when I said I was no longer at Aberdeen college he said he knew as he liked to keep an eye on former students which made me smile!
Anyway thanks for all you help with my career, I'm just saddened that I didn't get a chance to tell the others.
Take care and enjoy Christmas.
Ian
Old 6th April 2020, 19:55

Gordon Mawson

Sadly Gordon Mawson passed away in February
Gordon joined the college in the 1970's from Springburn college.
He taught maths and seldom mentioned his seafaring experiences.
Originally from Yorkshire, he left school early and I understand had a couple of jobs but there was a war on and he joined the Royal when old enough.
The Navy recognized that this new recruit had potential and sent him to a camp for assessment at Lochailort.
He passed and was now an RN Officer.
His mathematical ability was recognised and was sent to the USA for a 6 week course in Navigation on the Queen Mary.
He passed again and was posted to an infantry landing craft and sailed back to UK via the Bahamas and the Azores.
Eventually Gordon ended up in the Philipines and was there until VJ Day.
After the war he studied mathematics and so to teaching.
I shared a staff room with for may years and enjoyed his company.
A quiet unassuming gentleman.
Old 25th April 2020, 14:08

Death of Ian MacInnes

Glasgow Herald reported on 23-04-2020 the death of GCNS lecturer Ian MacInnes
Old 30th May 2020, 18:15
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1973 - 1975

Glasgow College of Nautical Studies..as was..

I happened upon a YouTube video of GCNS and boy, did it take me back in time. To 1970 actually…
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ13qyaDASg
I attended Glasgow College of Nautical Studies, if my memory serves me correctly, from Aug 1970 until Jan 1973. What a strong lecture we got from Mr McIlroy, head of RADIO Dept, as to how NOT to expect a comfortable ride in the next 2 years. It was going to be hard work! Well, out of a class of I’m sure, approx 25-30 guys, about half the new intake didn’t bother showing up next day. That intro sure had its effect. That’ll be why so many were allowed to enrol on day 1, they knew the score..
I qualified for my Ministry of Post and Telecommunications MARITIME RADIOCOMMUNICATION GENERAL CERTIFICATE on 22nd June 1972 and carried on for my Board of Trade RADAR MAINTENANCE CERT, on 22nd January 1973. I still possess the certs today.
I recall being a ‘Prize-winner’ in the Radio Dept, finishing 1st, and Glasgow Corporation (as I think it was called then), buying me my ‘Blues’, MN Uniform…. I then went of for a short career as a ‘SPARKS’….. Made many memories there….
I remember one of my classmates being given ‘pelters’ by one of the lecturers, because he bought a GCNS folder with a big logo on the front. “Is this to impress the lassies on the underground on the way home then?” he kept getting asked, as he only carried his books under his arm.
There used to be a Radio Components & Spares shop up from the Pub across the river, where we would buy all our components, etc..
I was saddened to see the demise of the old college, as I went to have a look for old times sake, and was rather taken aback at the sight of the new college, grand though it is! I didn’t know it had been replaced by a ‘general’ college now, even after living 25 miles from Glasgow for the last 40 years.
I can remember only 2 of the Radio Dept Staff of the time, Mr McIlroy was head of dept, and the radio equipment practical mtce guy was Corcoran. I think he resided in Greenock. All the Radio dept staff were excellent.
The PLANETARIUM was a bit of a feature of GCNS then, and I remember an accommodation block being built, for cadets, on ground next to GCNS at the time I was there.
That was in the days it was solely for Maritime students.. Ah, what days indeed!

Ricky Baird
Old 31st May 2020, 12:57
Active: 1970 - 1980

I was at GCNS 70 to 72 and 74, it was quite new then, seems amazing for it to be torn down so soon, as for the video clip it made sad the "music" did not help. I think they were special times in the 70's .
I guess almost all the staff I knew have gone now and quite a number of fellow students.
Old 1st June 2020, 09:48

My location
Morning Ian, I was at GCNS the year before you so our paths may have crossed when you were in your first year.
Derek.
Old 1st June 2020, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dunn View Post
Morning Ian, I was at GCNS the year before you so our paths may have crossed when you were in your first year.
Derek.
Hi Derek

Our paths may not of crossed because I did Mates and then Masters at Glasgow having done my cadetship and 2nd Mates at Plymouth. I think I started Mates in January 1976 and finished in June 1978.

Ian
Old 1st June 2020, 12:53

Hi Derek, your name has a certain familiarity to it, were you Engine?
A number of us boarded at the Hostel in Bath street, fun and games there at times.
IanB
Old 1st June 2020, 14:22
Active: 1973 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian860B View Post
......... at the Hostel in Bath street, fun and games there at times.....
IanB
I was after your time, but was the pub around the corner 'The Diamond'?
John.
Old 2nd June 2020, 00:25

The pub round the corner was the "Cockburn" never greatly impressed, we used to go a short walk down to Sauchiehall street and down to the basement to a place called the Blenheim (not sure about the spellcheckers opinion) Spent a small fortune in there, after closing time it was off to find food, always a disappointment !
Of course for entertainment there was always the girls around Blythswood Square!!!!!
IanB
Old 2nd June 2020, 01:52

The Clelland. The Riverside Lounge. The Blue Chip. The Gordon and around the corner dinners L'Aristos. 2001 I met up old mates and went to The Gordon and the L'Aristos. Got up to the same trouble as before!

Two other place, The Park Bar and the Lord Darnley. There was no shortages of places.
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:22

I think I made an error I was talking about drinking venues within walking distance of the British Sailors Society Hostel in Bath Street.
Going for a drink at lunchtime from GCNS was very much forbidden for Cadets, Davie Duff and Sandy Smith would walk around the local hostelries and woe betide if the found any miscreants. Drinking at lunchtime made the first lecture in the afternoon very difficult to not fall asleep in.
IanB
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:15

Quote:
Going for a drink at lunchtime from GCNS was very much forbidden for Cadets, Davie Duff and Sandy Smith would walk around the local hostelries and woe betide if the found any miscreants. Drinking at lunchtime made the first lecture in the afternoon very difficult to not fall asleep in.
IanB
Not in 1971... or through 1973 as cadet.

One cadet in the class we were doing for finals for ONC Phase III. One of the paper was for three hours. It was only two hours into the exam and las stood up and handed in his paper. Every was astonished! The rest of us were struggling to complete. Five minutes later, LaMay (examiner) down from 8th Floor. He called up to come to window. There was Davy.... walking right over to The Clelland to get his 11 o'clock pint... Newcastle Brown!! He was back for the second paper as if nothing had happened. He did this next two days as well.

We call should have done it. ALL of us failed the ONC. I didn't feel bad, that ONC exams... or the WHOLE of UK had FAILED! It was the first ever ONC and there were 'errors' in the paper exams. A year later most of us went back to do normal Second Mate examination.

For a change I went up for Master at the Tower Hill. Lasted three weeks. Horrible! Cramped and overcrowded. On the first morning the lecture put up his newspaper and said, "Tutorial period'. WTF!!!! No printed handouts. Everything was by dictation. They had a huge bounded book with every 'question' the lecturer gave us. When we had finished... go to the big book to look up the answer. A waste of time. Packed it in and went back to sea. Later that year I went back to GCNS. Only six of us. Two of us went up and passed... two months early. The other four did their and they passed as well. That is what a good college was about.

I still have of my books and test papers. I go back once in a while and read the comments from Alistair Douglas. "The answer is correct, but are you sure you know what you are talking about?" Ah, all of the lecturers were 'Top shelf'.

Stephen
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:25

The lad Davy, came in a bit late at the afternoon lecture. Not at the exam time. His cheek was swollen … a bulge in his cheek. Little moans and rubbing his cheek. The lecturer as what his problem? Davy says, "Tooth ache." Hmmm. The period finished and the lecturer left. Davy the spat out into his hand... our or five 50p pieces!!!!!

Nice lad, but at that age he was ruined by the drink. Sad.

Stephen
Old 2nd June 2020, 22:46

Quote:
The pub round the corner was the "Cockburn" never greatly impressed, we used to go a short walk down to Sauchiehall street and down to the basement to a place called the Blenheim (not sure about the spellcheckers opinion) Spent a small fortune in there, after closing time it was off to find food, always a disappointment !
Of course for entertainment there was always the girls around Blythswood Square!!!!!
IanB
Correct - Cockburn, thanks, I was only there once at a birthday bash, ended up down around Blythswood Square.
I once went to a place in Sauchiehall St with psycadelic paint on the outside, got talking to a local who flogged me a ticket to a Stones concert at the Apollo for £20 (Sept '73) Went in to college on the Monday and compared my ticket with a classmates ticket bought from the box office - no comparison!!!
I was from the sticks but learning fast
John.
Old 4th June 2020, 19:10

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvingman View Post
Correct - Cockburn, thanks, I was only there once at a birthday bash, ended up down around Blythswood Square.
I once went to a place in Sauchiehall St with psycadelic paint on the outside, got talking to a local who flogged me a ticket to a Stones concert at the Apollo for £20 (Sept '73) Went in to college on the Monday and compared my ticket with a classmates ticket bought from the box office - no comparison!!!
I was from the sticks but learning fast
John.
The "dirty wee port " John ?.
Old 4th June 2020, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
The "dirty wee port " John ?.
"......As a bunch of pissed cadets we usually just harassed the girls and forced them to change their route!!
John
Old 4th June 2020, 22:43
Active: 1968 - 2009

I was at Springburn College 1970 to 1971 doing my phase 3. One of my flat mates had a girlfriend, who was one of the first, if not the first ? to attend the nautical college to train as an RO ! she was sponsored by Marconi ! Her first name I think was Cathy ! Anybody remember her ?