Pamir - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
00:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pamir

User Tag List

Old 22nd January 2016, 21:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1942 - 1985

It has been several years since I sailed with " Dodger " Kronin , around 70 yrs on the " Rata" . He was on the " Pamir" with George , and he told me of the trip he did with George When he fell overboard. Luckily she wasn't going too fast so he swam over to the rudder post and stayed there until he was picked up. I don't know about the rest of the story .Dodger was a bit older than me , so Im presuming that he has past away too, he was a good shipmate . I was also on the " Kopara " with George's father , who was kindly called "deafy" it appears that nearly all ships masters had a nick name at that time .
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:44

This was one of the many stories told at his service. I had known George well since coming ashore with Union Co., in 1980 as Stevedoring Manager at Napier. My Father had sailed with 'deafy' also Les Flavell and Val Cross all x Richardson Masters when they were AB'S in the late 1920's and early 30's.
Old 23rd January 2016, 23:28
Active: 1942 - 1985

Hi , Butters .
As far as I know , "Richardsons of Napier " had only a couple of ships and my memory fails to remember them . However I would be very interested in the history of the " Moa" , and I think she had one . Ken .
Old 3rd May 2016, 01:19

Captain Gilbert Inkster ex Pamir 1945 crossed the bar 30thApril 2016, he had a long career at sea Master with Milburn Cement NZ, Harbourmaster at Nelson and various other roles. RIP

John
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:41

Sorry to hear that John . I first met him in 1963 when he had brought the dredge 'TASMAN BAY', down to Lyttelton for docking .In later years I caught up with him at Nelson , and in Napier when on the cement ships and later at USSCO. , annual Reunions in Wellington and Auckland.

Butters
Lindsay Butterfield
Old 4th May 2016, 08:44

Hi I have recently found out my father worked on the Pamir.Maybe below as a cook etc. Can anyone give me any help on how to find out any information. His name was Alan Costello although every one called him Joe.I know he did travel to San Francisco.
Old 17th July 2016, 10:53
Active: 1954 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi t View Post
Captain Gilbert Inkster ex Pamir 1945 crossed the bar 30thApril 2016, he had a long career at sea Master with Milburn Cement NZ, Harbourmaster at Nelson and various other roles. RIP

John
I was privileged to know and work with Gilbert Inkster from 1968 and while he was pilot, dredge master and harbourmaster at Nelson. A first rate seaman and pilot. Jack Barbours name came up frequently during yarns of the Pamir days. Ken Wells who was also on the Pamir was tug master at Nelson for many years and is now well retired and resident in a local rest home.

Dick King
Old 18th July 2016, 00:42
Active: 1954 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass1 View Post
I was privileged to know and work with Gilbert Inkster from 1968 and while he was pilot, dredge master and harbourmaster at Nelson. A first rate seaman and pilot. Jack Barbours name came up frequently during yarns of the Pamir days. Ken Wells who was also on the Pamir was tug master at Nelson for many years and is now well retired and resident in a local rest home.

Dick King
Sad to say Ken Wells crossed the bar today (18/7/16)

Dick King
Old 19th May 2018, 03:57

My brother Roy Jenkins was an AB on the last trip from NZ I have pictures of the full crew. He had jumped the Derryclare in Littleton around 47 did a stint inside then ended up on a scow sailing to the Chatham Islands. I was doing my first trip to Texas when the Pamir was coming up the South Atlantic, so I missed her.
Tugger
PS I will hunt up the pics and post them
Old 19th May 2018, 05:56

I have just found some pictures of the Pamirs last voyage from NZ.
I also have a book called "The last Time Around the Horn," by William F Stark< there are some pictures but the only clear one is of Hotcha King.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pamir last N.Z. crew 1949.jpg (306.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Pamir 1949 (Medium).jpg (38.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 19th May 2018, 12:46
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Good photos, I think that they were real sailors....

Cheers Frank
Old 22nd May 2018, 03:22

Hi Frank.
I forgot to say my brother is the fifth one along the back line from the right, the first one without a cap. As you say they were great seamen I wish I could have sailed on her.
Tugger
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:09

Thank you so much Tugger,Im sure my dad is the one next to your brother with his arms folded.

Cheers Cossie
Old 25th July 2018, 03:27

Hi Cossie.
Sorry I'm late getting back to you, if you can get the book it's a good read with some pictures maybe of your Dad; what was his surname?
Tugger
Old 29th September 2018, 05:36

My wife and I were very good mates with Capt Gilbert Inkster , he has ailed on the Pamir in 1945 from NZ to Vancouver, real tough old seaman, but a dry bugger always with a twinkle in his eye, I had the pleasure of sailing with him when he was relieving Master on STS Leeuwin in Western Australia, he passed over the bar about three years ago and at his service there was not a dry eye in the house.
Old 14th October 2018, 07:22

PSNC had a Master E.J.Pepper who was Bosun on Pamir's first Voyage under the NZ Flag. The voyage was to West Coast North American ports, March-September 1942.
I had the pleasure of sailing with Jimmy Pepper as he was known as in PSNC and was privileged to seeing his photographs from his days in sail.
On retirement he bought a pub on the Wirral the name of which escapes me now. I am sure there are plenty out there who would have made his acquaintance and heard his stories of his time in sail.

Last edited by roscoes; 14th October 2018 at 07:25..
Old 14th October 2018, 10:49

I meant to add Eric J.Pepper was from Onehunga, NZ.
Steve
Old 27th January 2019, 09:18

Sorry to jump in on your thread Kenneth, just wondered if anyone knew if a Mr A Briggs had something to do with the Pamir. Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 10:20
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Pamir visit

Boarded the Pamir in Buenos Aires when she was loading prior to the tragic loss in 1957. I was senior Apprentice then on the Liberty SS Maplebank, just along the quay, and recall meeting some of the German lads onboard.

It's worth mentioning the quite poignant memorial in the church in Lubeck, Germany, where a section of one salvaged lifeboat is kept in a corner together with photos of the boys and an account of the tragedy.
Old 14th November 2019, 11:59
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1971

We have just raised our glasses in celebration after the funeral of our good friend William Henry (Harry) Suters, who crossed the bar on Sun 3rd Nov 2019 at Geelong, Vic, after a very eventful and active 91 years.
Another member of that exclusive group who witnessed the transition of sail to steam, he was a crew member of Pamir on her last voyage on New Zealand Articles.
As he recalled, her former master, Captain Bjorkfeldt, was in command again for this voyage from Port Victoria, South Australia to Falmouth and Penarth.

In an article written in 1950 about Harry's experiences on that voyage, he mentions that they signed off articles in Penarth, so I assume that in those days Penarth must have been the designated address for both Barry docks and Penarth.

I personally have signed on and off in Barry in the 60's and Barry was stamped in my Discharge book.

R.I.P. Harry, the waters of the Bass Strait are calling you back.

JET
Old 15th November 2019, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoes View Post
PSNC had a Master E.J.Pepper who was Bosun on Pamir's first Voyage under the NZ Flag. The voyage was to West Coast North American ports, March-September 1942.
I had the pleasure of sailing with Jimmy Pepper as he was known as in PSNC and was privileged to seeing his photographs from his days in sail.
On retirement he bought a pub on the Wirral the name of which escapes me now. I am sure there are plenty out there who would have made his acquaintance and heard his stories of his time in sail.
I sailed with Mr Pepper in PSNC in the early 50's, at that time he was sailing as C/O, as he was recovering from an accident.

I was also on a vessel in 1957 when we went to the aid of the Pamir, unfortunately we could not reach her in time, it was horrendous weather as we lost bulwarks, rails, deck ladders and a lifeboat stove in. What help we could have given we will never know, but you do what you do because they were fellow seamen.
Old 15th November 2019, 18:44

From all accounts the pub was the Fox & Hounds at Barnston.
Old 16th November 2019, 02:50

Thanks Barrie for the pub's name. The mist of times gone by is clearing, only visited it once with Bob and Joan.
Old 16th November 2019, 13:46

Hello Jet
From the cliff top I saw Pamir in the Bristol Channel behind a tug, and went aboard her in Penarth Docks a few days later. That was 1950. Penarth Docks are a marina now.
Best wishes, Andrew
Old 18th November 2019, 11:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1971

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for confirming your sighting of the Pamir at Penarth, apparently the tug had towed her round from Falmouth.

Regards, John