Fleetwood Nautical College - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
12:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fleetwood Nautical College

User Tag List

Old 28th October 2012, 21:03

FNC gets the royal seal of approval

http://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/news...oval-1-5058698
Old 11th February 2013, 13:20
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Sorry I've absent for too long - just had a lot to deal with this past year or so.

Anyway, catching up on things - slowly, I was interested to read about the visit of Princess Ann to the college.

So here's a Youtube video of the visit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh3oM9g3jMM

Now I need to check out what else has been happening on board whilst I've been away........

Life is far too serious for it to be taken seriously
Old 11th April 2013, 02:24

Hi My name is David Paterson..I was one of the first R/Os on the M.O.T. Radar courses at Fleetwood Nautical College back in the 1960,s and my uncle Fred...( Fred Dearden) was the first instructor at the old place in Blackison Street..and later at the new college at Broadwater.Many of you might remember him?. The lecturer on the Radar course was Pete Yarwood..He was very good and knew his stuff..The only thing that annoyed him was The Principle Captain Caruthers who would like to show off the impressive Radar Room, We would get visitors several times a day..Pete pointed out to him that time taken up with the disruptions would have to be made up as the exams were in early January -and right enough we had to come in during the xmas break ...Sadly the exellant catering facilities were shut down and we brewed up over a bunson burner in the lab,s..and lunch was via the chippy at Broadwater...SAdly the college has become an annex for Blackpool and Fylde College..A sign of the times..No fishing fleet and The decline of the british merchant navy ...-.- Dave
Old 25th June 2013, 04:48

hmmmph!! just joined and no mention of us girly sparks! Was there 1978 till 1982. Is the Steve Bowden out there the one from Southport? Am still in touch with some of the lasses. loved my time at FNC
Old 25th June 2013, 13:15

No girly sparks in my day at FNC - more's the pity.

The only ladies were Mrs. Packer and 'Luscious' Linda in the Office and the Dinner Ladies who made the most delicious potato cakes!!

Old 25th June 2013, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeeare View Post
No girly sparks in my day at FNC - more's the pity.

The only ladies were Mrs. Packer and 'Luscious' Linda in the Office and the Dinner Ladies who made the most delicious potato cakes!!
what year period was that jaydeeare.....My mother god rest her soul was the cook supervisor for a period......she used to make beautiful potato cakes
Old 26th June 2013, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhp651 View Post
what year period was that jaydeeare.....My mother god rest her soul was the cook supervisor for a period......she used to make beautiful potato cakes
I joined in 1967 and left in 1970. Sorry I recall the names, but have a very vague recollection of faces.

Old 27th June 2013, 01:02

Quote:
I joined in 1967 and left in 1970. Sorry I recall the names, but have a very vague recollection of faces.
she was the fiery red head called Irene ( Ida really but didn't like the name) and was there throughout that period, and well into the early 1970's when Ted heath visited the campus.

neil.
Old 27th June 2013, 13:53

Can't recall anyone with fiery red hair. Probably due to them wearing caps, and hiding it.

More likely, my memory isn't as good as I thought it was!!

Old 3rd July 2013, 19:07

Advance Notice of Fleetwood Nautical College/Fleetwood Navigation School 3rd Reunion 13 September 2014

As the first two Reunions were successful and many have requested another (3rd) event the next Reunion is scheduled for Saturday 13th September 2014 (Yes! next year). Because it takes the best part of a year to try to get the info out to as many past students and staff as possible it is necessary to start the planning (this actually started on the morning after the 2012 event with the booking of the North Euston Hotel's Ballroom & lining-up the College) more than a year in advance. Similarly, in order to make appropriate arrangements it is very helpful (and eases my nerves) if as many people as possible commit to reserve tickets as soon as possible.

The other way for you to help (even if you can't or don't wish to attend) is to pass-on the website address and/or the details of the event to anyone whom you know is eligible to join the Association (FNC Past Students' & Staff Association) because they either studied or worked (or still work) at the College.

www.fleetwoodnauticalcollege.org.uk

One thing I can promise you is a very interesting and entertaining College tour with the Simulated Helicopter Crash at Sea, the Bridge Simulator and the new Engine Room Simulator just amazing - and so realistic. You would pay a lot of money to be entertained by such systems if you wished to do so.

In 2012 we did have a good mix of Navs and Radio in attendance and it is amazing to discover how far-flung and "how high up the tree" some of our colleagues who attended managed to reach.

In the past, on space grounds, we had to restrict attendance to Members and their spouses/partners. However, with the increased capacity of the North Euston Hotel's Grand Ballroom it will be possible to invite the families of Members along as well. I plan to have my two (now adult) children there - so they can see what Daddy did for his first career.

James Henry Clarke
Radio & Radar Graduate 1969
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:24

How many remember the old Navigation School and BoT Building in Station Road, Fleetwood before the new Nautical College was built at Broadwater?

Sad times for that building now.

I do believe there are plans to preserve the building and to restore it to its former glory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Station Road.jpg (32.9 KB, 27 views)

Old 29th October 2013, 22:54

Remember it well Johnny, I was there in 1957 for 12 months doing pre sea training, I used to get off the train at Wyre Dock station on a Monday morning and get into Station Rd for 0915hrs, I lived in Southport in those days and spent the week in digs at the Wave Crest B&B on the prom before going home on a Fri.
At Fleetwood Navigation School at the time was Cpt McFarlane as principal, Cpt Carruthers was doing seamanship and Cpt Trickett was doing ship construction and signals, we cadets, three of us at the time, also had one day a week at the grammar school for maths & physics. the school was mainly geared up for those sitting fishing tickets at that time, so the introduction of pre-sea cadets was quite a new concept. Happy days, many a sneaky pint with the fishing lads in the North Euston!
Old 29th October 2013, 23:02

Quote:
I do believe there are plans to preserve the building and to restore it to its former glory.
Not if the idiots at wyre borough council have their way.

some guy bought it years ago with intentions of turning them into nice flats for the elderly.............. turned him down and it's stood derelict since ..parts are already burnt out.........wonder it's not gone up in flames already as the poor chap who bought it is saddled with it.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:09

The Wave Crest (close to the pier - before it burnt down a few years ago) was also used by Cadets when I was at FNC. They likened it to a Stalag!

The Grammar School also burnt down many years ago.

The Mount served a better pint than the Euston from my recollections.

I wasn't aware of the initial request for the building to be turned into flats.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'll keep checking the Fleetwood Weekly News on the web.

Old 23rd November 2013, 18:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1979

My location
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
i think that would be Ray Bisby , Quiney.

The Dorchester stalag was wardened by Bob Abrams (ex RAF) and Steve Musgrave.

My first college group was composed of Charlie Balshaw, Neil Brook (ex army) ,John Quine (maybe you), ***** Strickland, Bill Dow, Tony Georgiou,***** Elliot
**** Lyons (from southport) and a further cast of thousands.

feel free to send a PM if you wish Quiney.

best regards.........
David Strickland (sparky1)
Old 24th November 2013, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
David Strickland (sparky1)
Not david, but John (I filled in the missing names on the next post)

Besides sparky1, what name did your parents give you?
Old 27th December 2013, 13:38
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1972 - Present

OND 2nd mates 1972-1975, 1981-1982 for 1st mate.
Fond memories. I was in a chart work class when Ted Heath visited.
Often wondered what became of my classmates.. We all eventually lost contact.
Best lecturers in the world.
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:16

I was there 78 - 82 also, but on the nav onc course........
Old 5th April 2014, 05:57

Having just returned to Fleetwood College last week for the 1 day offshore survival refresher I thought i'd pop-up to the top floor and see what Radio facilities were left. Whilst up there I met a part-time lecturer who sadly told me Ted Hackett had died recently. He seemingly lost his battle with cancer. I'd just like to say what a really decent bloke he was. Always a smile on his face each & every day & nothing seem to faze him.

Lamby
Old 13th May 2014, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lamb View Post
Having just returned to Fleetwood College ......Whilst up there I met a part-time lecturer who sadly told me Ted Hackett had died recently. He seemingly lost his battle with cancer. I'd just like to say what a really decent bloke he was. Always a smile on his face each & every day & nothing seem to faze him.

Lamby
Although I only got to know Ted when I was organising the 1st and to a lesser extent (because he was undergoing treatment) the 2nd Fleetwood Nautical College Reunions in 2010 & 2012 respectively, I can agree wholeheartedly with Steve's comments. Ted was the type of guy you want around when others have left you in the lurch; he just goes and sorts out what needs doing -- and does it himself. Sadly, no more -- except up there in Radio Heaven Ted will be explaining the workings of Ionospheric Propagation to an attentive audience of "Navs. His widow Barbara has lost a very dear husband and friend indeed. May you rest in peace Ted.

See the Association's (FNCS&SA) website for many photos that feature Ted: www.fleetwoodnauticalcollege.org.uk.

On the subject of Reunions: the 3rd FNC Reunion is on 13/09/14 from 12pm - 12am. Tickets still available but need to be booked soon - for which a Coupon is on the website.

See also our new Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/FleetwoodNau...egeAssociation for photos from the 2010 & 2012 Reunions.

James Henry Clarke
Voluntary Organiser
Fleetwood Nautical College Students' & Staff Association
e: [email protected]

Last edited by James Clarke; 13th May 2014 at 14:24..
Old 15th May 2014, 19:01

Ministerís praise for work of portís Nautical Campus

http://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/news...mpus-1-6615066

Well deserved recognition. Just a shame they couldn't have found a better picture of the College to accompany this article.

Old 17th May 2014, 21:45
Active: 1963 - 1968

I did my Radar Maintenance Ticket at Fleetwood in early 1967, Ray Pilgrim taught the course, Steve Musgrave was on the course as he had only just passed his PMG and was still a student then.

A few years later when working for Decca Radar in Fleetwood I returned to install a Decca Transar in the classroom, Ray was still the instructor.
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:03
Active: 1974 - 1982

i remember the old days too...

Looks like this thread has died but i want to add my name to this list for the hell of it. i attended 71 to 74 and had a great time. best regards to anyone who reads this.
Ian Partington
Old 20th December 2015, 22:46

Has anyone heard from James Clarke re 2016 reunion, I have emailed him twice, but have not received any replies. Regards, Glyn Jones.

ps Merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year to all our members.
Old 20th December 2015, 23:44

My daughter has just finished her first term at FNC, and the new term begins January 4th, but until then there are only security on campus.

She has told me she will ask around amongst staff about it when she returns if you wish.

Funny Steve Musgrave's name has popped up for the second time this week......he bought my house off me in 1988 in Fleetwood...........wish he hadn't......worst move I ever made selling that little gaff, lol.