Satring Your Shipping Co. - Ships Nostalgia
12:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Satring Your Shipping Co.

User Tag List

Old 21st August 2005, 13:08

Question Satring Your Shipping Co.

Hi My Fellow Members

I would like to know if any of you dream of starting your own Shipping Co.? If you do please reply to me as I'd love to find out more!

Thanking You
Jason
Old 21st August 2005, 14:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1954 - 1998

My location
Absolutely no way. I would not like any of my friends to think I was a shipowner!!
----------------------------------
Tony C
Old 21st August 2005, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crompton
Absolutely no way. I would not like any of my friends to think I was a shipowner!!
----------------------------------
Tony C
Tony

Why wouldnt you want your friends to think that you were a ship owner? Incase they wanted money?

Jason
Old 21st August 2005, 16:21

Is there anyone else besides me who Dreams Of Starting Their own Shipping Line? I thought that was every ship lovers Dream! I dont know about you but I cant imagine doing anything else, is there anyone here that fells the same way as i do???

Jason
Old 21st August 2005, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinOZ
Jason, unfotunately with the way shipping is at the moment it would probably be a nightmare. George.
George
Whats wrong with Shipping at the moment?
Old 21st August 2005, 17:37
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Jason we can all dream, but on the other hand Richard Branson had a dream to run an airline, and he made it, so perhaps you might.
Old 21st August 2005, 18:04

In 1965 I was offered the chance to join in with a bunch of lads who'd decided to buy their own coaster. They'd registered the company name, tentatively arranged some finance and were spending their leaves trying to find the right ship. Everyone involved had a role to play on the ship and I could've been the sparks.

Didn't fancy it myself, coasters are just way too tiny for me. I don't know if their dream ever materialised or not.

My neighbour takes trips on a German coaster that is owned by its Master. He loves every minute of it. The guy has offered to let them take their car with them next time, so that they are flexible about where they get off in the UK.

Dave
Old 21st August 2005, 18:43

so Dave you dont regret your choice of not joining them?

I want to own Cruise Ships and Cargo Vessels! Its just so expensive to charter a ship, Louis Cruise Line's Coral is 78000 euros perday, and for me as a waiter in South Africa with the exchange rate as bad as ours, im 19 now I'll probably be 40 when I get enough money for a 7 day cruise! Im hoping to find other ship freaks who are rich and maybe we can all join forces and start operating cruises like your friends and their coaster. Hopefully You'll see my ships in the harbour soon!!!!

Jason
Old 21st August 2005, 22:26

i don't think I could ever be a ship owner, I have too much concern for my fellow men and I suppose I'm too honest as well
Old 21st August 2005, 22:41

Hi Jason,

I have no idea what they achieved, or if they even bought their ship. I just did a Google search on their company name and got no results.

For every choice we make in life, in some way, small or otherwise we may affect our life's outcome. I am glad I didn't make any choices that gave me a life different to the one I have now.

I don't know if this is true or not. I was told it in the sixties by a 2nd Mate. He said that after the war, Niarchos had no ships and no money. He went along to an oil company and negotiated a contract to transport oil for them. Then he took his contract to the banks and negotiated a loan, as it was clear from the contract that he would be able to pay the money back.

He used his loan to get the ships he needed. If you are planning on making it big, saving up doesn't do it. You have to have the big idea, and go for it and then on top of everything else, you need to be lucky.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 22nd August 2005, 09:59

Jason,
The economic climate was completely different in the days when entrepreneurs such as Niarchos and even Branson had the will and foresight to carry out their dreams. For every success story one reads about there are hundreds of "wannabees" who have had their fingers severely burnt and lost everything.

You want to own your own ship - go for it - I`ll insure it !
Old 22nd August 2005, 17:35

[QUOTE=DaveM]In 1965 I was offered the chance to join in with a bunch of lads who'd decided to buy their own coaster. They'd registered the company name, tentatively arranged some finance and were spending their leaves trying to find the right ship. Everyone involved had a role to play on the ship and I could've been the sparks.

Dave,

There was a Greek Cypriot 2nd Mate with LOF who had owned a coaster in the late '60s. He lost it when Turkey 'gobbled' up the island (sorry about that) in about 1974. Was that your potential company? If so, you did the right thing.

I remember a loading master on a tanker, loading at a mono-buoy in Nigeria, telling everyone how easy it would be, with the appropriate contacts, to bring a ship in to the buoy, load a cargo and take it to South Africa, where an oil embargo was in place. He told us how easy it was to charter a ship and how the Jaapies could be contacted....! I definitely got the impression it was a recruiting drive. Often wondered what the outcome would have been if we hadn't been too chicken to proceed.....rich beyond the dreams of avarice (we're talking 100,000 tons here), broke in Capetown, or washed up on the beach at Bonny! We'll never know now.

In the early '70s there was a product tanker, owned by some Flash Harry in London, which was held up in Durban because of unpaid repair and port bills. The crew had a lien on the ship for unpaid wages - notice nailed to the mast and everything. They were running a nightclub on board and doing quite nicely, thankyou very much. The ship was fully loaded and I'd be curious to know what the outcome was. Did she eventually leave with a full cargo.....? Probably not!

Good luck Jason.

John T.
Old 22nd August 2005, 18:29

Thanx for the support guys, once I get my company I let you know!!!

Jason
Old 22nd August 2005, 19:50

[QUOTE=trotterdotpom
There was a Greek Cypriot 2nd Mate with LOF who had owned a coaster in the late '60s. He lost it when Turkey 'gobbled' up the island (sorry about that) in about 1974. Was that your potential company? If so, you did the right thing. John T.[/QUOTE]

No the guy was English. I've been trying to remember who it was. I came up with a name yesterday and checked him out on the LOF site. Seems he ended up as Master with LOF, so if my memory is correct, it looks like they never made it. It may have been to his advantage.

Dave